Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 420515 times)

manysnakes

Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #2550 on: April 18, 2023, 11:40:43 AM »
Expand Quote
God dammit I just wasted my whole work break reading about Mac n cheese on slap.
[close]

easy fix to that issue, read Slap on the clock

Hard to imagine using my free time to read Slap.

Candied cigarettes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #2551 on: April 18, 2023, 11:43:34 AM »
I made butternut squash mac and cheese a while ago. Didn’t turn out great but that was my fault. I like the idea of putting a sweet squash like delicata or honeynut in it, but proportions are important

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #2552 on: April 18, 2023, 11:55:30 AM »
Expand Quote

I don’t recall that Hook-Ups board, but I was never a fan of Birdhouse/Hook-Ups. The yellow fever thing seemed like pretty much every Klein graphic after a certain point. I’ll have to look it up. I do remember Jim Greco wearing A Clockwork Orange t-shirt in some of his earliest footage. (Maybe from Asian Godess?) As much of a mimbo he was during the 00’s, he’s always seemed to have pretty decent taste in movies. He just put out a really sick Hammers board graphic that’s based around stills of Pierre Clémenti from Bell du jour (1967).
[close]

Sick observation dude, how did you know it was a still from that movie? Just that familiar with it? I'd be interested in hearing your top picks in a foreign film thread or something. Thanks for the insight, I'm gonna watch Belle du Jour when I get a chance.

I've watched an insane amount of movies and have been lucky enough to live close to actual video rental stores for the past 15 years or so. I'm a film buff, cinephile, cineaste, yadda yadda. Pierre Clémenti is a very distinct actor and I'm a fan, so it wasn't hard to spot. My favorite foreign director has been Rainer Werner Fassbinder for a long ass time, but I like all kinds of directors, genres, etc. Also super into genre cinema aka cult/exploitation/horror/sci-fi fantasy/film noir/action adventure/etc. I probably should get on the film threads.

PS - My profile thumbnail image is a character from one of my favorite Brian De Palma films, The Phantom of the Paradise (1974), which (if you haven't seen it) is totally bonkers and a lot of fun.

God dammit I just wasted my whole work break reading about Mac n cheese on slap.
You got the added bonus of A Clockwork Orange trivia and other random movie nonsense.

PPS - mac n cheese pizza is an atrocity.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

wilog

• Rep: -23
« Reply #2553 on: April 18, 2023, 12:13:27 PM »
jim cheese

WavyDavy

• Rep: 126
« Reply #2554 on: April 18, 2023, 12:40:35 PM »

I don't know, they have this pizza around here and it's kinda a guilty pleasure of mine if I want a frozen pizza

What Fassbinder movie can you recommend? Im going to watch enfant terrible this week which is a documentary about him
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 02:10:00 PM by WavyDavy »

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
« Reply #2555 on: April 18, 2023, 01:21:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't know, they have this pizza around here and it's kinda a guilty pleasure of mine if I want a frozen pizza

What Fassbender movie can you recommend? Im going to watch enfant terrible this week which is a documentary about him

He killed it in Inglorious Basterds.

But no I personally have to throw in a vote for Why Does Herr R. Run Amok?

No Wave Comply

« Reply #2556 on: April 18, 2023, 02:20:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What Fassbender movie can you recommend? Im going to watch enfant terrible this week which is a documentary about him

Yeah, Enfant Terrible (2020) is a biopic, not documentary, and it’s very stylized and fictional; it’s not factual at all, but it paints a very accurate picture and had fantastic music (Joachim Witt).

R.W. Fassbinder was crazy prolific, so you have like 40+ films to choose from depending on your access. Of the ones that are fairly easy to find on streaming, it looks like three of my absolute favorites are on HBO Max (just checked IMDB):
  • Faustrecht der Freiheit (1975) aka Fox and His Friends - The second Fassbinder film I saw and the one that turned me into a devoted fan. It’s about a homosexual carny who wins the lottery and suddenly finds himself being courted by a den of gay upperclass vipers with expensive tastes in food, clothing, and interior decoration. Public restrooms are the great equalizer between this class divide.
  • Satansbraten (1976) aka Satan’s Brew - His only “Comedy”… it’s super batshit crazy, weird, and funny if you like seeing a chubby, delusional, bisexual German writer/poet get humiliated, have bad sex, yell at people, and pretend to be a dead poet incarnate. It’s been described as “Father Knows Best on acid.” An excellent tagline.
  • Die bitteren Tränen der Petra von Kant (1972) aka The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant - Excellent lesbian melodrama that takes place entirely in one room of really posh, mid-century modern house. The direction, camerawork and acting really make this work, as it could have been very static and boring. It’s really stylish and there’s lots of madness, crying, abuse, and anguish in the name of love.

No Wave Comply

« Reply #2557 on: April 18, 2023, 02:32:52 PM »

He killed it in Inglorious Basterds.

But no I personally have to throw in a vote for Why Does Herr R. Run Amok?
Ha. Good one. I didn’t wanna be that “actually” person. Ever since Michael Fassbender came onto the scene, it’s lead to a lot of confusion when fans of New German Cinema try to spread Fassbinder awareness.

Herr R. is a deep cut. Not for newbies, not available on streaming and OOP on DVD, so hard to find. It’s great though. Modern middle class mensch tries to cope with the pressures of banal, everyday existence.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 02:46:43 PM by No Wave Comply »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1145
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2558 on: April 18, 2023, 02:37:08 PM »
Could have browned it for longer but this was a baked Mac I made some time ago. For someone that never cooks something that takes more than 30 minutes I did pretty well I think. The camera quality kinda makes it look like shit.

It kind of looks like a photograph of Jupiter.  Got the great red spot on the bottom left there.

Could also be a dude screaming in agony as a giant bear claw is crushing his head.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #2559 on: April 18, 2023, 02:39:21 PM »
Kraft Mac and Cheese is a complete and utter disgrace to pasta. I tried a Kraft box once, the salted taste of that chemical cheese sauce still haunts me in my dreams.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Wienerboy

• Rep: -103
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
« Reply #2560 on: April 18, 2023, 02:42:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I don’t recall that Hook-Ups board, but I was never a fan of Birdhouse/Hook-Ups. The yellow fever thing seemed like pretty much every Klein graphic after a certain point. I’ll have to look it up. I do remember Jim Greco wearing A Clockwork Orange t-shirt in some of his earliest footage. (Maybe from Asian Godess?) As much of a mimbo he was during the 00’s, he’s always seemed to have pretty decent taste in movies. He just put out a really sick Hammers board graphic that’s based around stills of Pierre Clémenti from Bell du jour (1967).
[close]

Sick observation dude, how did you know it was a still from that movie? Just that familiar with it? I'd be interested in hearing your top picks in a foreign film thread or something. Thanks for the insight, I'm gonna watch Belle du Jour when I get a chance.
[close]

I've watched an insane amount of movies and have been lucky enough to live close to actual video rental stores for the past 15 years or so. I'm a film buff, cinephile, cineaste, yadda yadda. Pierre Clémenti is a very distinct actor and I'm a fan, so it wasn't hard to spot. My favorite foreign director has been Rainer Werner Fassbinder for a long ass time, but I like all kinds of directors, genres, etc. Also super into genre cinema aka cult/exploitation/horror/sci-fi fantasy/film noir/action adventure/etc. I probably should get on the film threads.

PS - My profile thumbnail image is a character from one of my favorite Brian De Palma films, The Phantom of the Paradise (1974), which (if you haven't seen it) is totally bonkers and a lot of fun.

Expand Quote
[close]
You got the added bonus of A Clockwork Orange trivia and other random movie nonsense.

Yo. Really good shit. Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't seen anything by Fassbinder. Best I could do is something like N Took The Dice or I mean I always love Seventh Seal. Do you have a Criterion Collection subscription or what brah? Honestly I don't consume that much anymore besides the internet and it's lazy and a shame but that's just where I'm at. I don't know anything about the Slap film threads but maybe I'll see ya on there, who knows?
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

Wienerboy

• Rep: -103
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
« Reply #2561 on: April 18, 2023, 02:46:34 PM »
@Nowavecomply are you from Austin or Seattle or something?
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

No Wave Comply

« Reply #2562 on: April 18, 2023, 02:50:54 PM »

Yo. Really good shit. Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't seen anything by Fassbinder. Best I could do is something like N Took The Dice or I mean I always love Seventh Seal. Do you have a Criterion Collection subscription or what brah? Honestly I don't consume that much anymore besides the internet and it's lazy and a shame but that's just where I'm at. I don't know anything about the Slap film threads but maybe I'll see ya on there, who knows?

Nah. I own, or have owned, a few hundred Criterion Collection DVDs/Blu-rays/4Ks. The channel is excellent, but because I buy so much physical media, I can’t justify an annual or monthly subscription. I won’t end up taking advantage of it.

@Nowavecomply are you from Austin or Seattle or something?

Haha. No, but kinda close. I live in Pasadena (LA County), but from Denver, Colorado and Dallas, Texas.

I really need to take this to the movie threads.

lurkluke

• Rep: 194
« Reply #2563 on: April 18, 2023, 03:03:09 PM »
I made butternut squash mac and cheese a while ago. Didn’t turn out great but that was my fault. I like the idea of putting a sweet squash like delicata or honeynut in it, but proportions are important

You could mash it, and put it on top before baking. Like a bastard-shepherd's pie. Not sure it'd work but maybe worth a shot.

No Wave Comply

« Reply #2564 on: April 18, 2023, 03:13:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You could mash it, and put it on top before baking. Like a bastard-shepherd's pie. Not sure it'd work but maybe worth a shot.

Oh man. I love shepherd's pie. It was a fall/winter favorite growing up and my mom's was/is super good. My wife makes a really good vegetarian version too.

GH should know all about shepherd's pie, seeing as he's English 'n' that. All roads lead back to the topic.

lurkluke

• Rep: 194
« Reply #2565 on: April 18, 2023, 03:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Oh man. I love shepherd's pie. It was a fall/winter favorite growing up and my mom's was/is super good. My wife makes a really good vegetarian version too.

GH should know all about shepherd's pie, seeing as he's English 'n' that. All roads lead back to the topic.

I've do some mushroom and lentil riffs on them that are always awesome. Good for winter time.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2566 on: April 19, 2023, 05:40:07 AM »
I made an absolute banger of a creamy mushroom pasta sauce tonight.  Super easy and hugely delicious. 

Pop on your spaghetti
Fry your mushrooms in some butter & pepper tilll golden brown
Chuck in some minced garlic for the last minute
Put em aside.
Drain your spaghetti 2 minutes early, v al dente.
Same pan, pop some butter & flour in & get it goin'
Pop in a cup of milk
whisk it tilll its smooth
chuck in the pasta
chuck in the mushrooms
cook it down a bit
chuck in some parmesan
salt
fuckin' banger.

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #2567 on: April 19, 2023, 05:58:52 AM »

I use a Jacques Pepin recipe for Mac n cheese - roast the breadcrumbs in the oven and once cooled stir in chopped chives and grated parmesan - sprinkle over you mac'n'cheese - nice and easy.

But I do not support this:

WavyDavy

• Rep: 126
« Reply #2568 on: April 19, 2023, 06:21:11 AM »
Did some pasta with feta, tofu and yeast flakes. was surprised by the cheesiness
tofu and yeast with some spices is a great veggie alternative to cheese

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #2569 on: April 19, 2023, 07:16:48 AM »
I made an absolute banger of a creamy mushroom pasta sauce tonight.  Super easy and hugely delicious. 

Pop on your spaghetti
Fry your mushrooms in some butter & pepper tilll golden brown
Chuck in some minced garlic for the last minute
Put em aside.
Drain your spaghetti 2 minutes early, v al dente.
Same pan, pop some butter & flour in & get it goin'
Pop in a cup of milk
whisk it tilll its smooth
chuck in the pasta
chuck in the mushrooms
cook it down a bit
chuck in some parmesan
salt
fuckin' banger.

add madeira or marsala wine in the middle of this

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #2570 on: April 19, 2023, 07:38:03 AM »
Shout out to mac n cheese pies from the Piemaker in Edinburgh
https://www.eater.com/2017/1/23/14333216/macaroni-pie-scotland
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #2571 on: April 19, 2023, 07:43:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Are you implying that you're shunning your responsibilities and obligations such as work, child rearing, and personal hygiene just to read slap???

Me too.

Banned from the room

« Reply #2572 on: April 19, 2023, 07:49:40 AM »
Expand Quote
I hate Mac and cheese
[close]

The smell makes me queasy.

Exactly. Especially after it's been in the fridge. Smells like dirty balls.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #2573 on: April 19, 2023, 07:52:43 AM »
I underestimated my ability to completely derail a thread with one stupid comment.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2574 on: April 19, 2023, 07:53:19 AM »
your balls smell like mac and cheese?

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2575 on: April 19, 2023, 08:16:29 AM »
I underestimated my ability to completely derail a thread with one stupid comment.

You mean improved. Mac and cheese > Gifted Hater.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #2576 on: April 19, 2023, 10:50:59 AM »
Daiya has an awesome vegan mac and cheese. A lil sriracha on that bad boy and i'm good to go (to the bathroom).

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2577 on: April 19, 2023, 12:11:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #2578 on: April 19, 2023, 12:18:03 PM »
I work with a chick who legit only eats mac and cheese. She's 23 and rather attractive. Her pheromones smell like Kraft products.

No Wave Comply

« Reply #2579 on: April 19, 2023, 12:29:20 PM »
Daiya has an awesome vegan mac and cheese. A lil sriracha on that bad boy and i'm good to go (to the bathroom).

Yes. I can attest to both its tastiness and bowel-evacuating potential. I use Cholula instead of Sriracha though.

I work with a chick who legit only eats mac and cheese. She's 23 and rather attractive. Her pheromones smell like Kraft products.

I'd say that's pretty unattractive and gross, but you're kinda describing my wife. Her other "shame" is enjoying Domino's pizza and salad (especially the latter) on the regular.