Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 420579 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #3660 on: January 12, 2024, 09:50:41 PM »
Long sleeve shirts under short sleeve shirt back on trend?

But I like the vlog, very 2008

carcinisation

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
« Reply #3661 on: January 13, 2024, 03:50:20 AM »

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3662 on: January 13, 2024, 08:49:40 AM »

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #3663 on: January 13, 2024, 09:27:59 AM »
Most wholesome team!  Have so much respect and admiration for what Jerry’s doing with Sci-Fi.  The vibe is immaculate.

It fully makes up for what an immense disappointment Jacuzzi Unlimited has been so far.

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #3664 on: January 13, 2024, 09:32:30 AM »

Those  jackets  are fire

GH should do these kind of vlogs way more often, love the vibes

ApesPissed

• Rep: 59
« Reply #3665 on: January 13, 2024, 09:34:49 AM »
shire music javelina scene was cute.

manysnakes

« Reply #3666 on: January 13, 2024, 09:41:53 AM »
The slop must flow

fernando the skater

• Rep: 123
« Reply #3667 on: January 13, 2024, 10:31:54 AM »
Most wholesome team!  Have so much respect and admiration for what Jerry’s doing with Sci-Fi.  The vibe is immaculate.

It fully makes up for what an immense disappointment Jacuzzi Unlimited has been so far.

The gifted one was hating on Jacuzzi last week on stream. He couldn't see the point in launching a team made up of an old team that nobody cared about.

carcinisation

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3668 on: January 13, 2024, 01:30:23 PM »
BIG MELON

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #3669 on: January 13, 2024, 02:52:02 PM »
was that title fight/21 savage mashup used in a bronze edit recently? or am i thinking of something else?

joa’s a real 1 for putting mirah in there

Shtonk

• Rep: -450
« Reply #3670 on: January 13, 2024, 03:26:25 PM »
So far team doesn't exactly look stoked on Tucson. I was surprised Glick didn't go for that rail to steeped Bank, kind of looked right up his alley, sick but surely challenging spot

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3671 on: January 13, 2024, 03:35:06 PM »
So far team doesn't exactly look stoked on Tucson. I was surprised Glick didn't go for that rail to steeped Bank, kind of looked right up his alley, sick but surely challenging spot
i bet they clipped up on most of the spots, just don't wanna show the footage or anything to keep it interesting for when the video drops

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3672 on: January 13, 2024, 03:42:48 PM »
Max Garson is sick fosho
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

EagleassMF

• Rep: 11
« Reply #3673 on: January 14, 2024, 07:14:39 AM »

They’re not gonna show any real clips in these vlogs

Banned from the room

« Reply #3674 on: January 14, 2024, 09:28:01 AM »
I want one of those jackets.

I'm sorry tho. I'm telling Jeff rawree you're trying to kill by feeding his opps

beecee

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3675 on: January 14, 2024, 09:37:57 AM »

good vids

easymoneysniper

« Reply #3676 on: January 14, 2024, 10:51:52 AM »

ryan lay dead rip

lurkluke

• Rep: 194
« Reply #3677 on: January 14, 2024, 12:57:01 PM »
they were using the same app I use for yoga (Down Dog).

It's great. You can set it to any time, any style, different instructors etc. Can recommend.

QixHexagon

« Reply #3678 on: January 14, 2024, 01:43:52 PM »

Serious question: how do you 50-50 something like that at 5:18? Do you jump, not popping your board, and the skate will 5050 "by itself" and then you catch at the top? Always wondered this.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #3679 on: January 14, 2024, 10:41:35 PM »

ryan lay dead rip

He takes some fucking slams. I immediately thought of his old welcome rough cuts and that one where he toppled over a fire hydrant in his followed video

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3680 on: January 15, 2024, 06:00:44 AM »
Ryan layed out

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3681 on: January 15, 2024, 05:15:01 PM »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3682 on: January 16, 2024, 08:43:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The gifted one was hating on Jacuzzi last week on stream. He couldn't see the point in launching a team made up of an old team that nobody cared about.
Jacuzzi has lots of younger guys. Problem is their main personality trait, at least from what we're shown, is drinking beers. I get alot of sketchy vibes from that Gus dude specifically.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • ow
« Reply #3683 on: January 16, 2024, 11:11:38 AM »
Bowling montage incoming

tityboi

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3684 on: January 16, 2024, 12:48:52 PM »
How do brands making a video actually calculate the return on investment of all the money they put into trips and whatever else over that time period? Does a video finally drop after a year of filming and immediately their sales rise high enough to cover a year's worth of investment and they can say hey that was all worth it? It all just seems like it would be so difficult to walk away after spending all that money with cold hard numbers as you can't put half of skateboarding 'metrics' like cool factor into your spreadsheet.

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 112
« Reply #3685 on: January 16, 2024, 12:56:34 PM »
How do brands making a video actually calculate the return on investment of all the money they put into trips and whatever else over that time period? Does a video finally drop after a year of filming and immediately their sales rise high enough to cover a year's worth of investment and they can say hey that was all worth it? It all just seems like it would be so difficult to walk away after spending all that money with cold hard numbers as you can't put half of skateboarding 'metrics' like cool factor into your spreadsheet.

imo it's more to do with Jerry giving something to the riders to remember and enjoy, as he got to do for over 15 years as a sponsored skater. sure, the budget probably doesn't allow for same travel destinations jerry got to visit, and arizona isn't a destination state, but I think its important to build team chemistry, and have fun doing so for a team that doesn't know each other that well and have those moments they look back on no matter the destination..

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3686 on: January 16, 2024, 12:59:25 PM »
This is the reason why brands like sci fi sell 40 dollar low quality ts and 80 plus dollar hoodies. The mark up obviously isn't for the quality but to support a team and trips like these. From what I can tell, the product is selling well and making a videoo is just an investment to reup on reasons their fans will continue to buy the gear.

He also lucked out getting free tour video coverage with these GH vlogs.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 248
  • often correct
« Reply #3687 on: January 16, 2024, 01:08:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Jacuzzi has lots of younger guys. Problem is their main personality trait, at least from what we're shown, is drinking beers. I get alot of sketchy vibes from that Gus dude specifically.
nailed it with the "nobody cares about" part though

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 151
« Reply #3688 on: January 16, 2024, 01:21:54 PM »

I doubt video releases correlate directly to board sales, unless of course you have something like a Limosine model where you drop product and videos simultaneously. Moreso video releases play a major part of the marketing of a brand, making sure its reputation, image, and relevancy is ensured so that income consistently comes in at a sufficient level. For example, brands like Toy machine, Zero, and Alien wouldn't do the numbers they do today without having released their seminal full-lengths. It's kind of a necessary investment for any company in skateboarding; and I bet it's less about how much you spend for a trip than how your spending results in the 'best' video (one that has impact in terms of views and/or legacy).

The issue you bring up is one of running a skate company solely on "cold hard metrics". It's why venture capitalist involvement in skate companies often results in failure. Skateboarding is difficult in this way, as you rightly assume; no MBA can prepare someone adequately for running a skate company.

I think Sci-Fi putting Joa on generates, among other things, a relatively cheap way of marketing the brand. Joa will put out ten videos advertising the brand and its riders inadvertently in the time and resources it takes Jerry to put together one full-length.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #3689 on: January 16, 2024, 01:25:35 PM »

It's simply advertising. Especially considering they haven't print advertised in Thrasher or anywhere else (at least as far as I can tell), I'm sure they have the budget for a video; even more so if they aren't releasing it physically. If Limosine has been able to afford a video for every drop, multiple trips, and a DVD release, I'm positive Sci-Fi isn't going to have to sweat cool factor not showing up in the spreadsheet.

It's not the you money spend, but the memories you make. Best team building exercise ever. Thank you Sci-Fi Fantasy, LLC.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”