Author Topic: Are skate hardgoods about to explode in price due to market/sanctions?  (Read 1394 times)

disappointed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched

With aluminium at record highs, as with many other metals/raw materials, and gas costs dramatically increasing logistics for wood etc; do you think this will inevitably lead to a huge increase in skate costs?

Is this already impacting shops, distros? What do Pals think?

beatifk

• Rep: 162
Everything will explode. Figuratively and LITERALLY.

disappointed

Good point!  :(

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 882
Yes.any reason to up the cost of entry. Skateboarding in the Olympics now it's time to get the rif raf out of here. The peasants can just go run around on some grass or something.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 818
Oh god I hope so, I'll look like a genius investor and not an obsessive weirdo. Well in this realm anyways.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
So apparently now the board hoarders, truck nerds and wheel icers don't seem that crazy anymore

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Guessing there will be a flow on effect, as there already has been from the last two years with covid issues, but then other things going on in the world will only lead to more problems and higher costs to everything.

On a good note, many places right now are in overstock / sale mode so there are definitely some good deals to be had if you wait, know where to look and have enough money to buy whatever you want while it is on sale.

Who knows when the next price hike will hit, (or the next sale) so get things for a great deal while you can.

It seems boards especially, with half a dozen shops I know having significant discounts on some decks, but some other places have storewide sales, like OCD shop in AU with 30% off everything right now for a couple of days.

disappointed

Guessing there will be a flow on effect, as there already has been from the last two years with covid issues, but then other things going on in the world will only lead to more problems and higher costs to everything.

On a good note, many places right now are in overstock / sale mode so there are definitely some good deals to be had if you wait, know where to look and have enough money to buy whatever you want while it is on sale.

Who knows when the next price hike will hit, (or the next sale) so get things for a great deal while you can.

It seems boards especially, with half a dozen shops I know having significant discounts on some decks, but some other places have storewide sales, like OCD shop in AU with 30% off everything right now for a couple of days.

...I’m on OCDshop right now - lots of bargains and good price on stuff not usually on sale. definitely getting some stuff. I think all the upheaval of the past few years just has to hit eventually, though it does come down to demand/supply (which i guess is lower than anticipated hence overstock and sales). But Ultimately if the raw costs (material and logistics) go up dramatically I just can’t see how that won’t bump production costs, then prices. Im not made of money, but this may save me big down the road.....maybe I’m just trying to convince myself to hoard more product (not that i need much excuse!! :)

Solex

• Rep: 29
Currently in France (1€=1,10$) :
- 70-80€ a big brand board (closer to 90-100€ for a Baker Boys, 45€ to 65€ for an HLC made)
- 70€ a standard US branded truck set (Film are 50€ a set)
- 60 (sixty) € a set of F4 wheels (non-Spitfire wheels are usually 30-50€)
- 70€ a set of Bones Swiss

I'm a bit worried... (well, not a so big concern compared to many other stuffs in the life...but it sucks!)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:43:59 AM by Solex »

LebowskisRug

From inflation not from scarcity of materials.

Solex

From inflation not from scarcity of materials.
For sure, but if the prices are already high before the next crisis starts...

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Time to learn how to cast our own trucks from aluminum cans.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151

trend watch 2023 DIY garage truck MFG

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
Expand Quote
[close]

WhAt iS tHe wHeELbAsE oN tHeM

LebowskisRug

In HS I was in Advanced Metalshop class and for our final I cast a set of truck hangers. I hardened an aluminum axle, turned the threads into it, and made molds based off my Thunders. They looked nice once I finished them, but they didn’t really elevate my skating like I thought and then the board got confiscated by the Stanford Police.

manysnakes

The last time the west sanctioned Russian aluminum, it threatened to add $.20 to the cost of a single can of soda before they backed off. You should definitely stack some trucks now, if you're got the spare change.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
The last time the west sanctioned Russian aluminum, it threatened to add $.20 to the cost of a single can of soda before they backed off. You should definitely stack some trucks now, if you're got the spare change.

I have 9 or 10 skateable pair.  Sizes covered include  8, 8.25, 8.38, 8.5, 8.75 and 9.35.   Could maybe add a second 8.75 set, but if I never bought another pair I could still have something to skate until I'm dead.

manysnakes

Expand Quote
[close]

I have 9 or 10 skateable pair.  Sizes covered include  8, 8.25, 8.38, 8.5, 8.75 and 9.35.   Could maybe add a second 8.75 set, but if I never bought another pair I could still have something to skate until I'm dead.

I’m robbing your house when trucks cost $200/pair

Solex

Wooden trucks era incoming.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 153
Expand Quote
[close]
Wooden trucks era incoming.

Trucks made from hemp fiber

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
God forbid this interferes with the arrival of the AF1 lows in the US

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
WhAt iS tHe wHeELbAsE oN tHeM
I already have a kickstarter for upcycling skated shoes and condoms into artisanal pivot cups.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • Jamu Gost

Thanks for the heads up! Just grabbed a new set up.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the heads up! Just grabbed a new set up.

I know a few people who had filled a cart and checked out already.

Trying not to buy anything else that I really don't need, to let anyone else get the good stuff, but I have a list.  If things are still there on Monday, I will go to town on it.

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
damn... last week i bought new trucks and wheels on sale so i can have something for 2023 but now this post makes me go crazy. I work in a supermarket and the prices are going up like crazy every day. There is some shitty inflation in eastern europe and it may be a good idea to stock some decks.
Is it ok if you keep new decks for 1-2 years? I see there are some decks on sale (models from last summer/fall), and if i get 1-2 i will probably skate them at the end of this or the begining of the next, coz i have 3 decks right now

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 882
damn... last week i bought new trucks and wheels on sale so i can have something for 2023 but now this post makes me go crazy. I work in a supermarket and the prices are going up like crazy every day. There is some shitty inflation in eastern europe and it may be a good idea to stock some decks.
Is it ok if you keep new decks for 1-2 years? I see there are some decks on sale (models from last summer/fall), and if i get 1-2 i will probably skate them at the end of this or the begining of the next, coz i have 3 decks right now
Prices have been going up pretty much every other week in Aus too. But prob not by anywhere as much as eastern euro.
I think decks are fine to keep for years (unless you're really picky with what you ride) I think just try put them in a cupboard or something and have them primo style. If you put them flat in a pile or leaning against a wall upright the ones at the bottom eventually warp a bit under the weight.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Prices have been going up pretty much every other week in Aus too. But prob not by anywhere as much as eastern euro.
I think decks are fine to keep for years (unless you're really picky with what you ride) I think just try put them in a cupboard or something and have them primo style. If you put them flat in a pile or leaning against a wall upright the ones at the bottom eventually warp a bit under the weight.

That is a definite YES to getting decks and storing them well and lasting a long time.

The benefit of specific or dated graphics is the last season graphic stock more often than not goes on sale, compared to the classic graphics which are always current (yes I am going to say the eagles) but the best thing is all those other boards are still perfectly fine and a good bargain for anyone who is not picky about not having the latest board and wants to save a few dollars at the same time.

If it is not such a good graphic a can of spray paint, or as I recently figured out, even a razor blade and some time will give you a good blank board you might be happier riding in a size and shape you like from a good woodshop too.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
    • Suciu avatar image

flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus