Author Topic: Cult of the Huffer  (Read 42373 times)

Creachteach and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Cult of the Huffer
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2022, 12:48:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is why I love/hate slap. This hype train has me thinking about stopping by the shop for the one I was fondling on Friday when what I really want to do is wait for the Transportation Unit drop this week and get a couple of Supertanker shapes.
[close]

For real. The growing hype around this board has me itching to get one. I have about 30 boards to go through first though. :-X

The dimensions sound good to me as it is. Not a fan of the graphics on any of them, maybe that’s why I haven’t had one yet.  :)
[close]

Classic eagle huffer.

I know ppl will think this is a blasphemy but I’m not a fan of the classic eagle graphic either. Currently skating a Blue Meanie which has the classic eagle also and while I love the board otherwise, the classic eagle is giving me some weird vibes. I have a few of these unskated and am trying to come up with what to cover the graphics with.  :-X

I’d rather get any of the other Huffer graphics actually. They’re not my thing but then again I’ve skated a whole bunch of Anti Hero boards with terrible graphics. But we’ll see when I’m gonna give in and get one. A good graphic would tilt it to the Huffer’s favor much more.  :)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2022, 12:58:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is why I love/hate slap. This hype train has me thinking about stopping by the shop for the one I was fondling on Friday when what I really want to do is wait for the Transportation Unit drop this week and get a couple of Supertanker shapes.
[close]

For real. The growing hype around this board has me itching to get one. I have about 30 boards to go through first though. :-X

The dimensions sound good to me as it is. Not a fan of the graphics on any of them, maybe that’s why I haven’t had one yet.  :)
[close]

Classic eagle huffer.
[close]

I know ppl will think this is a blasphemy but I’m not a fan of the classic eagle graphic either. Currently skating a Blue Meanie which has the classic eagle also and while I love the board otherwise, the classic eagle is giving me some weird vibes. I have a few of these unskated and am trying to come up with what to cover the graphics with.  :-X

I’d rather get any of the other Huffer graphics actually. They’re not my thing but then again I’ve skated a whole bunch of Anti Hero boards with terrible graphics. But we’ll see when I’m gonna give in and get one. A good graphic would tilt it to the Huffer’s favor much more.  :)

It’s not my fave either.
That canteen looking graphic with the texture is the best.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2022, 01:01:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Classic eagle huffer.
[close]

I don't totally agree with this take because I love the classic eagle and the Cardiel Mezcalero graphic I'm riding right now, but I've definitely been disappointed with some of the AH art direction the past couple of years. A lot of it has been very cartoon-y which just doesn't do it for me.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2022, 06:06:51 PM »
No love for the Gerwer egg? It seems pretty similar to the Huffer, just a bit smaller in both width and wheelbase. This is really my first egg so I can't really compare it to anything else but the shape is dope as fuck.
WIDTH (IN):   9.12
LENGTH (IN):   32.0
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.5
NOSE (IN):   6.625
TAIL (IN):   6.625

Frank and Fred

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2022, 06:16:34 PM »
Gerwer egg looks great. Would. But it's no Huffer. Tail too pointy.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2022, 07:08:08 PM »
Getting a little rowdy in here: this the huffer thread. Whomever posted those two Cory vids can fuck right off. I was too gassed up, wanted the whole kit. He was on such a tear.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2022, 10:52:13 AM »
So right now my huffer is set up with Ace AF1 66s and I'm just not enjoying the trucks that much. I think I may swap those AF1s over to the Blue meanie to make a bit of a monster truck set up, and put my Indy forged hollow 149s on the huffer. I know that's probably a little narrow for the huffer, but will be fun to switch it up.

I also have some 55mm Oski Radials on the way to throw on because the classics I'm riding are pretty beat.

Will post some pics and update later.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2022, 04:23:27 PM »
I've been skating an Orange Eagle that I first set up last summer and this time around it's really working for me.  Actually landing more flip tricks like bs flips and half cab flips because I feel more comfortable with all this room to land on. It definitely still feels a bit cumbersome at times though. All of this is to say, I think the Huffer would be perfect for me. Still lots of room but just a little more agile.  Good thread!

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2022, 05:04:56 PM »
Am I the only one who prefers 149s on the huffer? Thunders specifically

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2022, 05:29:22 PM »

I was of the initial opinion that this is how CK rode it, and as a Stan, was gonna go this route…I rode mine with 151s. When I get another one, I’m not sure if I’m going to buy another set of 151s, or go with the ace 55 classics I have…

@chris. What trucks? For some reason I feel like you said you were taller…I’m short, and currently riding a 14.5 wb, and I’m into it. I skate a lot faster (so like 2 mellow pushes instead of a 1/2 push, it’s bad, but it’s an improvement), on the bigger board. The orange eagle looks so fucking sick. Way too long for me, but looks really dope. Plus, maybe I’m totally cooked here, but I swear the orange eagle was on an 8ish (maybe just an 8”) shape in the early early 2000s. I had one, and although I always stubbornly insisted on skating a 7.5, with 50s, I’d get wasted and skate better on the bigger board (not because intoxicated, because it had wheels large enough to roll down the street). Aaaaanyways
I’m going to go watch those ck vids again and again

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2022, 06:01:37 PM »
I've been skating an Orange Eagle that I first set up last summer and this time around it's really working for me.  Actually landing more flip tricks like bs flips and half cab flips because I feel more comfortable with all this room to land on. It definitely still feels a bit cumbersome at times though. All of this is to say, I think the Huffer would be perfect for me. Still lots of room but just a little more agile.  Good thread!

Huffer feels tiny compared to the orange eagle. Orange eagle is fucking heavy.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2022, 07:03:17 PM »
Not a huffer, but the Reuter egg is an exactly scaled down version of the huffer. There are a lot of Elijah Ackerly absolutely killing it with the Reuter egg in this part.

https://youtu.be/_J27UOQPPdc
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2022, 07:44:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Huffer feels tiny compared to the orange eagle. Orange eagle is fucking heavy.

No doubt, but it should be a good middle ground between the 8.5s I was riding. Pulled out my 8.5 flat DOA the board under my feet made it feel like 2002 again.  It was really wild.

@ok Ace 55 Classics. Yeah I'm tall, 6'5" and all limbs. I'm with you on the speed. I was skating curbs recently and did some fs slappys at what was no doubt the fastest speed at which I have ever done a trick. Very cool feeling.

Also used to actively dislike the AH eagle even when I had a Blue Meanie a few years back and when I bought my current one.  Now its kinda all I want to see when I flip my board over.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2022, 08:04:20 PM »

You are tempting me to  try some smaller trucks but honestly think 8.75" axles are the sweet spot for the Huffer. I like it with Classic 55s/ Af1 66s also.

I'm really hoping the new Ace 60s are going to be the best truck for the Huffer's shape and wheelbase.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2022, 08:44:33 PM »

No, I agree. The beauty of the shaped boards for me is that you can use 149's but still feel like you have a big ole board, and it's not weird at all.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2022, 09:07:37 PM »

Having just dropped down from 9” axle trucks (Ace AF1 66) to 8.5” axle trucks (Indy 149), it is absolutely better. Having so much more fun.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2022, 07:51:18 PM »
Been riding an 8.4" (14.25" wb) AH Cardiel popsicle for the last couple of weeks and it is offering me absolutely no advantage over the Huffer. In fact my kick flips have gone to complete shit. Jumped on a Huffer today and landed a decent kick flip first try. Moral of the story... you can't just leave the Cult of the Huffer....

Unfortunately, I am idiot and will likely continue to torture myself until this 8.4 is dead...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2022, 09:35:19 PM »
Been riding an 8.4" (14.25" wb) AH Cardiel popsicle for the last couple of weeks and it is offering me absolutely no advantage over the Huffer. In fact my kick flips have gone to complete shit. Jumped on a Huffer today and landed a decent kick flip first try. Moral of the story... you can't just leave the Cult of the Huffer....

Unfortunately, I am idiot and will likely continue to torture myself until this 8.4 is dead...

Not that anyone should do this, and only because I’m super annoying…buuuuuuut …the brophy shape is 8.6x14.75x32.56 (I think). The key dimensions being length and wb. I wonder if the long wb is the key? Been skating a 14.5ish wb and it’s been the best flippery of the past few years.
But brophy.

I think part of the magic of the huffer is in the shape/concave. It still wants to flip and spin.

I also like to torture myself with bullshit (stuff that doesn’t work for me).

bombsaway86

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2022, 08:11:21 AM »

Thank you Slap for convincing me it’s ok to have a stash of gear. Keeping this one on ice for when my current huffer dies

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2022, 08:56:45 AM »

I'm still trying to lock in my kickflips on the huffer, maybe 1 out of every 3 I get a good flick on. Coming from Hockey/FA/Polar P2 decks with big shovel noses, that flick point is definitely an adjustment but everything else is so damn fun on the huffer.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2022, 10:05:38 AM »

Thank you Slap for convincing me it’s ok to have a stash of gear. Keeping this one on ice for when my current huffer dies

Goddamn that is a banger. Such a nice looking skateboard.

bombsaway86

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2022, 12:33:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Goddamn that is a banger. Such a nice looking skateboard.

Classic eagle graphic is hard to beat

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2022, 12:54:32 PM »

Do all Huffers get the brown top ply? underrated top ply color imo

Frank and Fred

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2022, 01:01:09 PM »
Nope. I have that Eagle Huffer with Blue top.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 173
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2022, 06:42:08 PM »
This thread has got me really keen, I'm about pull the trigger and purchase one and sit it on ice until my Heroin egg is dust. Only thing that has me a little worried it the wheel base as I never ride anything over 14.5. Currently on a 9.125 x 32.25 x 14.5 heroin egg. Can anyone give me an insight on how the extra length feels?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2022, 08:29:03 PM »
This thread has got me really keen, I'm about pull the trigger and purchase one and sit it on ice until my Heroin egg is dust. Only thing that has me a little worried it the wheel base as I never ride anything over 14.5. Currently on a 9.125 x 32.25 x 14.5 heroin egg. Can anyone give me an insight on how the extra length feels?

Good

bombsaway86

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2022, 10:14:48 PM »

If you’re already on 14.5 you will barely notice it. It’s more so when you jump up or down a half inch or more that it really becomes noticeable

djoekr

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2022, 12:33:51 AM »
It's getting to the point that we need an automated response bot for all the people wondering about the wheelbase. As many have said, for some reason the dimensions work really well together, this is coming from someone who refused to skate anything bigger than 14.5.

The shape makes it feel way more nimble as the dimensions might make it seem. Out of my 3 current setups, a 9 inch square tail Zane Timpson and a 10 inch Heroin Mutant this one is definitely the easiest to do flip tricks on while still giving you the advantage of riding a wider board.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 173
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2022, 12:54:40 AM »
sweet cheers for the feedback, just ordered.
Usually wouldn't ask but a wheel base at that length had me a little worried.
Probably just me being anal about it as never go over 14.5

djoekr

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2022, 01:07:32 AM »
sweet cheers for the feedback, just ordered.
Usually wouldn't ask but a wheel base at that length had me a little worried.
Probably just me being anal about it as never go over 14.5

No problem, everyone seems to worry about the wheelbase at first, I used to be in the same boat. Someone told me to just go for it and then I bought a second one on the spot the first time I rode it. I still like to mix it up with some other shapes but as far as functionality goes, the Huffer seems like the best allround shape.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it