Author Topic: Cult of the Huffer  (Read 42306 times)

360halfcab (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Cult of the Huffer
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2022, 07:20:19 AM »
if you want to get more serious about redrilling boards... not sure I do, but cool nonetheless

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdYv2gMJ9CX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
hardly art, hardly starving

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2022, 08:02:16 AM »
Anyone who can do tricks with the smooth jazz stylings of @144p can do whatever they want, in my opinion. I love huffer as the gods made it, but I can also only do 3 tricks. Who’s to say I’m right and he’s wrong? Not me!

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2022, 09:07:34 AM »
If re-drilling means I can also do a tailblunt then I might have to embrace life as a heathen.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2022, 02:19:58 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I agree with the re-drillers.

We folks that run it stock get the most out of the shape we can. It’s consistent, 0 work for us.

The re-drillers are truly in it for the love of the game and the shape. Not to mention all of them fucking rip.

Especially after seeing 144p absolutely demolish shit.

I do have a tragic to report though… after a session and a half, this happened last night.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2022, 02:24:01 PM »
Damn @Freelancevagrant I'm yet to snap a Huffer... A few people are reporting a recent drop in quality in BBS boards...

How did you do that? You think it was a premature breakage or legit snap that would have happened anyway?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2022, 02:38:43 PM »
Couple of my Huffers in action. Excuse the shitty screen grabs.

FSA

FSO

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2022, 03:01:54 PM »
Couple of my Huffers in action. Excuse the shitty screen grabs.

FSA

FSO

Damn, that front hand style is sick. Especially the duck bill in the frontside air photo. keep ripping!

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2022, 05:39:54 PM »
A re-drilled Huffer is just a Sniffer.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2022, 06:24:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I was a bit worried for a minute, but all good now.

How much did you guys drill down, was it the same as the six hole plate at 3/8" or more than that?

I could definitely see how that would work after looking at my board.

@144p and @art hellman
[close]
I used the wheelbase jig that was posted on the forum a while back. I can’t remember the name but I bought the one with 3/8 spaced holes. Well worth the money.
[close]

Chems tool or something, but yeah the 3/8" is what I was thinking would be best.

That is the original 6.87 nose with 3/8" makes it more like the usual 7.25 or so anyway.
[close]

I just used the Indy 159 six-hole baseplate and slid everything down one slot, and then used the baseplate as the guide to drill... that's about as technical as I can explain it.  a real saint of a man advised me to be sure not to put the hardware in the closest holes to the nose, or else you'll just bash em loose on every nose/tailslide.

Yes, the six hole baseplate works well for that.

I often tell people that is the easiest way to redrill boards and I guess I have a lot of them around, but some people say they don't have any with all the new trucks in smaller sizes or forged plates in the bigger Indy trucks.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/makeboarderproducts/

At first I didn't realise what the orange things were - risers or drill your own, then saw the first post under makeplates tag and it all made sense.  I guess that works more so for those who do their own from scratch, but could still be used on any other board too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2022, 06:30:18 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I agree with the re-drillers.

We folks that run it stock get the most out of the shape we can. It’s consistent, 0 work for us.

The re-drillers are truly in it for the love of the game and the shape. Not to mention all of them fucking rip.

Especially after seeing 144p absolutely demolish shit.

I do have a tragic to report though… after a session and a half, this happened last night.

Damn!!!

A curbpit board for the wall then?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2022, 08:47:59 PM »
Damn @Freelancevagrant I'm yet to snap a Huffer... A few people are reporting a recent drop in quality in BBS boards...

How did you do that? You think it was a premature breakage or legit snap that would have happened anyway?

I dunno if it's a lack in quality but broken 4 out of my last 5 BBS boards prematurely.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2022, 10:14:08 PM »

Damn, that front hand style is sick. Especially the duck bill in the frontside air photo. keep ripping!

Haha. appreciate that but really its me hanging on for dear life and not a relaxed style thing at all.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2022, 10:32:03 PM »
Been seeing some people say 8.5" axels are whats up. Am I reading that wrong? Was recently lucky to start skating a Huffer. I got some 151 thunders on it right now and its fun.

Two things I've noticed skating it for what is a very small amount of time. For reference I am coming from the 8.75 Alien shape thats 32.25 long and a 14.25 WB.

Pop on it is inconsistent. Maybe i need to get use to it. there are times I feel like i can pop ollies, kickflips super solid, but everything else is kind of dog shit. Like worse than it was before. Even the ollies and kickflips can feel like dog shit. 180s been suffering. actually the most concerning part is just the timing of the pop.

I feel like I need to give myself some time to get use to the shape. However, I am considering buying some indys or aces. Really conflicted on what axel length to go for. With the 8.75 Alien, the truck length felt nice!
The chillest1

Frank and Fred

« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2022, 10:38:43 PM »
Personal preference of course but I like 8.75" or 9" Aces on mine. I am a fan of 151s but Thunders are a bit tough on the Huffer with the wheelbase. You could re-drill of course. But I'd recommend 159s or Ace Af1 60s....

I've been rotating between a Huffer and other smaller decks and my pop is way better on the Huffer. Even my kick flips. But I am a middle aged chunky bloke so take that for what it's worth. I think @144p hit the nail on the head and said its all about the long tail. It just works really well for some of us.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2022, 04:04:00 AM »
I have had a few different trucks on mine, currently now with an older set of 159s and soft cruiser wheels, which work well.

The 149 / 8.5 truck width felt a little too narrow, except with wider cruiser wheels, but the 8.75 width trucks fit perfectly for normal skating on the Huffer for me.

The normal height Ace 60 (8.75) would be perfect I think, if you are more into having something other than Indy (and in stock to use that voucher).

Frank and Fred has it right with that one!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2022, 05:25:59 AM »
151s worked best for me.
I do believe that the shape has some magical qualities in that it is really fun and functional, despite being much larger than what I’d normally use. But. It’s still a really big board

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2022, 06:14:47 AM »
I prefer 149s, but that is mainly because I skate bigger (56mm-60mm) conical wheels. Back when I skated smaller wheels, 159s were my go-to. One of the cool things about the shape is that you can make it work with several truck sizes.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2022, 07:10:50 AM »
Interesting logic, in my experience if my trucks are a little small for the board I find I get way more wheelbite as the wheels hit where the concave is less pronounced.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2022, 07:25:45 AM »
Interesting logic, in my experience if my trucks are a little small for the board I find I get way more wheelbite as the wheels hit where the concave is less pronounced.

The outer edges wider wheels on the 149s sit at pretty much the same spot for me as the smaller wheels on the 159s did. I also run 1/8" risers on everything (even with small wheels) so I don't think about wheelbite much.

I just prefer 149s and will try to make them work with whatever. Skating them on my Dane 1 right now and they look normal to me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2022, 07:26:04 AM »
I also subscribe to bigger wheels, narrower trucks: I felt like I could tip (turn) further, before the wheels touched the deck. I also thought that was why the pinch lords (Foy for example), setup the wider than deck width trucks, for the pinch (aka desirable wheelbite).

Some of the pnw rippers were riding 8.5 trucks on the love seat, that made sense, also you don’t need a whole set of something else and the adjustment period (these were guys that skated 8.5 boards but were just stepping it up for a change of pace on that shape, before going back to the regular).
I didn’t try 8.5s on the huffer, probably should have. 8.75 was better, for me, than 9. Take that with a grain of salt cuz I’m into matching the back truck truck width to the deck. And I do this because despite having been around skateboards almost my entire life, I am apt to jump on a board, attempt to push, and slam after kicking my own back wheel. Stay humble.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2022, 07:29:42 AM »
Been seeing some people say 8.5" axels are whats up. Am I reading that wrong? Was recently lucky to start skating a Huffer. I got some 151 thunders on it right now and its fun.

Two things I've noticed skating it for what is a very small amount of time. For reference I am coming from the 8.75 Alien shape thats 32.25 long and a 14.25 WB.

Pop on it is inconsistent. Maybe i need to get use to it. there are times I feel like i can pop ollies, kickflips super solid, but everything else is kind of dog shit. Like worse than it was before. Even the ollies and kickflips can feel like dog shit. 180s been suffering. actually the most concerning part is just the timing of the pop.

I feel like I need to give myself some time to get use to the shape. However, I am considering buying some indys or aces. Really conflicted on what axel length to go for. With the 8.75 Alien, the truck length felt nice!

I initially set mine up with Ace AF1 66s and it wasn’t working for me at all. I switched to some Indy 149s and that really seemed to unlock it for me. The Indy’s are forged hollows so the weight made a huge difference, and the narrower truck just made it a lot more responsive. Started to feel more like a regular board I could pull out for anything rather than a park/curb board.

bryan

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2022, 07:57:09 AM »
I also subscribe to bigger wheels, narrower trucks: I felt like I could tip (turn) further, before the wheels touched the deck. I also thought that was why the pinch lords (Foy for example), setup the wider than deck width trucks, for the pinch (aka desirable wheelbite).

Some of the pnw rippers were riding 8.5 trucks on the love seat, that made sense, also you don’t need a whole set of something else and the adjustment period (these were guys that skated 8.5 boards but were just stepping it up for a change of pace on that shape, before going back to the regular).
I didn’t try 8.5s on the huffer, probably should have. 8.75 was better, for me, than 9. Take that with a grain of salt cuz I’m into matching the back truck truck width to the deck. And I do this because despite having been around skateboards almost my entire life, I am apt to jump on a board, attempt to push, and slam after kicking my own back wheel. Stay humble.

This makes perfect sense, for the same turning angle on the same brand truck, you get wheelbite on a wider truck more than a more narrow one. It's the same physics as a see-saw or how truck height, offset and tail length relate to each other.

Personally I also downsize wheels when I upgrade to wider trucks, roughly 1-2mm in wheel size for every 1/4" in truck width. Otherwise I'd have to use risers or get taller trucks.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2022, 11:51:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This makes perfect sense, for the same turning angle on the same brand truck, you get wheelbite on a wider truck more than a more narrow one. It's the same physics as a see-saw or how truck height, offset and tail length relate to each other.

Personally I also downsize wheels when I upgrade to wider trucks, roughly 1-2mm in wheel size for every 1/4" in truck width. Otherwise I'd have to use risers or get taller trucks.

Yeah I want to say it like you did

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2022, 08:30:48 PM »
Started to feel more like a regular board I could pull out for anything rather than a park/curb board.

This is the goal of everyone here right?

djoekr

« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2022, 11:33:16 AM »
'Tis a sad day

Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2022, 01:54:53 PM »
'Tis a sad day

RIP
How long did you skate it for?

djoekr

« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2022, 02:07:37 PM »
Expand Quote
'Tis a sad day

[close]

RIP

I've skated my previous Huffer for about 3 months until the tail was way too razored. I set this one up only about a week ago, I think that I've skated it around 5 times now. I don't skate stairs often but today I landed on the outer edge of my nose which caused it to snap. Did manage to land the ollie after the top ply snapped and it was still kinda hanging on so at least it got to go out with honor.

I went from 3 Huffers to only 1 on ice in a week, but luckily I can finally get through my stack of other decks that still need to be skated.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2022, 02:12:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
'Tis a sad day

[close]

RIP
[close]

I've skated my previous Huffer for about 3 months until the tail was way too razored. I set this one up only about a week ago, I think that I've skated it around 5 times now. I don't skate stairs often but today I landed on the outer edge of my nose which caused it to snap. Did manage to land the ollie after the top ply snapped and it was still kinda hanging on so at least it got to go out with honor.

I went from 3 Huffers to only 1 on ice in a week, but luckily I can finally get through my stack of other decks that still need to be skated.

Righteous break or nah?
(I’ve broken few boards, some were just me landing in such a way that the board was gonna be done no matter what, some where just a bad board, shit happens.)
I ask, because there’s been a few broken huffers, and I cannot imagine breaking one, mine were indestructible

djoekr

« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2022, 02:49:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
'Tis a sad day

[close]

RIP
[close]

[close]

Righteous break or nah?
(I’ve broken few boards, some were just me landing in such a way that the board was gonna be done no matter what, some where just a bad board, shit happens.)
I ask, because there’s been a few broken huffers, and I cannot imagine breaking one, mine were indestructible

Yeah, I landed in the exact same position you'd be in if you wanted to focus the nose. Any deck would've snapped under that kinda pressure and I absolutely blame my own lack of skating stairs for it.

Gonna skate my other decks for a while now so I get to rediscover the magic of the Huffer in about a month or 2.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Frank and Fred

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2022, 04:41:42 PM »
Can we get a Grimple Huffer?