Author Topic: Cult of the Huffer  (Read 43256 times)

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Cult of the Huffer
« Reply #450 on: December 05, 2022, 04:46:45 PM »
Good looks homies, stoked to have copped a Phawt, finally (and two more loveseats).
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #451 on: December 06, 2022, 01:51:25 PM »
Good looks homies, stoked to have copped a Phawt, finally (and two more loveseats).

Definitely considering a Phawt. Would say I'm loveseat curious but 13.75" wb seems way too extreme....

Has the Crail wood gotten any better? My last girl board was fucking terrible but it's been a couple years. Phawt shape is obviously great but don't want to be stuck on some soggy loggy

SupremePizza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #452 on: December 06, 2022, 02:35:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely considering a Phawt. Would say I'm loveseat curious but 13.75" wb seems way too extreme....

Has the Crail wood gotten any better? My last girl board was fucking terrible but it's been a couple years. Phawt shape is obviously great but don't want to be stuck on some soggy loggy

I've skated two Girl decks since summer 2020 and they have both been great, nothing like the mid 2000s Crail. I only get to skate about 2-3 times a week at most and each deck has still been crisp after about 6-8 months, not soggy at all even with all the pressure cracks. Mine also did not chip very easily compared to the FA I was riding before.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #453 on: December 06, 2022, 03:23:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've skated two Girl decks since summer 2020 and they have both been great, nothing like the mid 2000s Crail. I only get to skate about 2-3 times a week at most and each deck has still been crisp after about 6-8 months, not soggy at all even with all the pressure cracks. Mine also did not chip very easily compared to the FA I was riding before.

I’ve been on the loveseat a year and a half and have a dirty dozen on ice, it’s the perfect skateboard imo. I will actually be devastated if they discontinue it. Once I hit my mid 30’s I moved up to a 9” and that short wheelbase still allows for easy flippage on a bigger whip for my sloppy feet. Crail wood is on par with every other brand I’ve ever skated. I get about 15-20 sessions on a board.

It’s weird after three decades of skating to try to stop caring about graphics because I feel a small sense of shame with the awful Crail website logo ones lol but at $35 a pop I’d be losing money not buying them, haha.

The Huffer/Phawt wheelbase is what seems extreme to me but I’m stoked to give it a go after reading this thread.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #454 on: December 06, 2022, 03:24:49 PM »
 :'(moon
Expand Quote
[close]

I skated two couches recently (one end of last year and one over the summer).  I thought the wood was good on both of those.  Better than the PS sticks decks I’ve skated recently but not quite as light, crisp, yet still sturdy as BBS wood.  The Crail decks actually felt quite stiff which probably contributed to them not sogging out fast.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #455 on: December 06, 2022, 03:42:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ve been on the loveseat a year and a half and have a dirty dozen on ice, it’s the perfect skateboard imo. I will actually be devastated if they discontinue it. Once I hit my mid 30’s I moved up to a 9” and that short wheelbase still allows for easy flippage on a bigger whip for my sloppy feet. Crail wood is on par with every other brand I’ve ever skated. I get about 15-20 sessions on a board.

It’s weird after three decades of skating to try to stop caring about graphics because I feel a small sense of shame with the awful Crail website logo ones lol but at $35 a pop I’d be losing money not buying them, haha.

The Huffer/Phawt wheelbase is what seems extreme to me but I’m stoked to give it a go after reading this thread.

I always ride my Huffer as a curb/park/fun board, so I'm never flipping it. I'm also really tall so a 13.75"wb really doesn't make sense for me personally.

A part of me thinks it would be really fun to have a big 9" eggy short wb board for flip tricks but.... I'm bad at flip tricks and a loveseat ain't going to change that

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #456 on: December 06, 2022, 04:28:20 PM »
Craig wood is good these days. I've had a couple of Couches, phawts, and one loveseat and all were solid for the duration of their life.

I skated the loveseats and couches to relearn some flips and they certainly helped but ultimately flips feel more satisfying to me on the  Huffer/ Phawt . My kick flips are way better on the Huffer/ Phawt. Don't get me wrong the Couch and Loveseat are a tonne of fun and open up some stuff for sure.

Phawts and Huffers work for everything for me. Big bowls with 58mm wheels to flatground on 50mms... Couches and Loveseats are only really useful  for me on flat and curbs. Not to get too picky but I'd love a Couch with a 14.25" WB.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #457 on: December 06, 2022, 04:55:30 PM »
Craig wood is good these days. I've had a couple of Couches, phawts, and one loveseat and all were solid for the duration of their life.

I skated the loveseats and couches to relearn some flips and they certainly helped but ultimately flips feel more satisfying to me on the  Huffer/ Phawt . My kick flips are way better on the Huffer/ Phawt. Don't get me wrong the Couch and Loveseat are a tonne of fun and open up some stuff for sure.

Phawts and Huffers work for everything for me. Big bowls with 58mm wheels to flatground on 50mms... Couches and Loveseats are only really useful  for me on flat and curbs. Not to get too picky but I'd love a Couch with a 14.25" WB.

Can confirm that the Huffer is a phenomenal small transition/bowl deck. I’ve also found the football/egg shaped boards in general to be great for transition as long as they don’t have the super short wheelbase. My fat ass needs 14.25 or more.

pops

• Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #458 on: December 06, 2022, 09:15:09 PM »
I skated the couch lately and have to say after two sessions I was fully adapted to that short wheelbase and would skate anything I skate with a Huffer. It's a great shape and would get a loveseat also if I had 8.75 trucks. I tried both decks with a slimmer wheel but soon found out I'm more comfortable with wider wheels despite the deck/trucks choice.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #459 on: December 14, 2022, 02:09:45 PM »
Finally pulled the trigger on the CK Phawt on sale on the Crail Store. I've been running a Supreme Antihero egg that's about dead so the phawt should get set up pretty soon.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #460 on: December 15, 2022, 07:21:47 AM »
Phawt doesn't quite have the same magic as the Huffer but its very nice still. Enjoy and destroy.

Currently running two Hufffers. One with 50mm wheels, one with 60mm wheels.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #461 on: December 15, 2022, 09:07:38 AM »
Phawt doesn't quite have the same magic as the Huffer but its very nice still. Enjoy and destroy.

Currently running two Hufffers. One with 50mm wheels, one with 60mm wheels.

Surely not but the price was right. I have a buddy who just bought a huffer and didn't like it (which i found hard to believe) so I'll probably buy it or trade him for something.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #462 on: December 17, 2022, 03:10:27 PM »
Stood on a huffer in my local the other day and nearly grabbed it over a normal pop. Felt good and a lot smaller than I thought. Didn’t cop cause I got a bit nervous about the nose not being functional for nollie tricks and nose slides. What’s the consensus with you huffer heads regarding this, does it work for nollies?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #463 on: December 17, 2022, 04:20:28 PM »
I personally think so but I tend to like tails and noses that are closer in lengths.

con_hielo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #464 on: December 17, 2022, 09:57:32 PM »
Stood on a huffer in my local the other day and nearly grabbed it over a normal pop. Felt good and a lot smaller than I thought. Didn’t cop cause I got a bit nervous about the nose not being functional for nollie tricks and nose slides. What’s the consensus with you huffer heads regarding this, does it work for nollies?

Works really well for me, the length is good and the tapered nose makes the pop on my nollie/switch tricks feel lighter and quicker.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #465 on: December 18, 2022, 04:25:24 AM »

Nose is 6.875” so it’s not short. My 8.75 Quasi popsicle is 7.1”. Plenty of meat from trucks to tip.

Unless your concerned about the shape of the nose.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #466 on: December 18, 2022, 04:46:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nose is 6.875” so it’s not short. My 8.75 Quasi popsicle is 7.1”. Plenty of meat from trucks to tip.

Unless your concerned about the shape of the nose.

I see, thanks for the dims. Yeah so it’s not short, it probably was the taper I was more concerned with, mainly cause of my size 13 flippers I like a bit more room to stand on my slides and pop nollie from. Actually riding that quasi 8.75 now, which is what I picked over the huffer, it’s a very nice shape but I could do with a bit more real estate in the tail especially. I’ve cracked the tail already too after only a handful of sessions  it’s only a matter of time before it snaps, so the huffer may be on the cards.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #467 on: December 19, 2022, 09:46:12 AM »

A couple Huffer vs Phawt comparison shots. Phawt definitely fuller, especially over the trucks and into the tail. Looking forward to setting it up and seeing how it rolls. I'm assuming since it's a bit chunkier it wont have that all around street magic the huffer does, but if it's good enough for CK1 it's good enough for me..

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #468 on: December 19, 2022, 01:47:56 PM »
Thanks and now I have another Phawt on the way but for $37.50 shipped its hard to complain.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #469 on: December 19, 2022, 02:02:43 PM »
Thanks and now I have another Phawt on the way but for $37.50 shipped its hard to complain.

you'd be losing money NOT buying it...

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #470 on: December 24, 2022, 04:01:20 PM »

Girl CK1 Phawt
Indy TI 149
Leo Baker 54mm F4 Conical Fulls
Bronson Nora Bearings
Thunder 7/8” Allen hardware
Jessup

Cross post from set up. Phawt definitely doesn’t have the same magic as huffer but is still very fun. Probably just deluding myself to be honest but the tail is noticeably square compared to the huffer and the board feels much fuller overall. I think what makes the huffer so much more versatile is the additional taper around the trucks, it riders like a narrower/lighter board to me

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #471 on: December 24, 2022, 04:16:39 PM »
Agreed. Still looks sick though and those 149s look real nice on it. I've skated two Phawts and have another one the way and I'm yet to regret it. Econo-Huffer.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #472 on: December 26, 2022, 02:24:53 PM »
Ordered a Phawt for $37.50 (including shipping) and Craig sent me two. Not sure if that was an accident but I'm pretty sto(c)ked.

goldfishboot

• Rep: 146
« Reply #473 on: December 27, 2022, 08:26:03 AM »

My first huffer! I'll save my first impressions for after I've ridden it for more than a few minutes though

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #474 on: December 27, 2022, 08:32:00 AM »
Lovely. What size are those Thunders? 151s?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #475 on: December 27, 2022, 08:35:39 AM »
Had my first extended session on the Phawt yesterday which mostly reinforced my first impressions. Rode some DEEP transition yesterday and board is super stable, nice and long, steers nicely. Only issues came up if I wanted to try to snap a bigger ollie or flip the board.

For me, that’s the Phawt vs huffer difference. Huffer still flips fairly nicely and that might be where something like the loveseat works a little better

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #476 on: December 27, 2022, 08:47:58 AM »
Phawt has steeper tail/ nose and concave I think. But also the tiniest bit narrower toward the back truck. The two Phawts I just got are super close to Huffer shape but the concave isn't as good as a BBS deck.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 09:00:28 AM by Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum »

beepbeep

• Rep: 4
« Reply #477 on: December 27, 2022, 08:48:21 AM »
that might be where something like the loveseat works a little better

I'm a lurker, but feel compelled to add that the loveseat feels super light for its size and no issues with getting consistent/solid kickflips on mine.

goldfishboot

• Rep: 146
« Reply #478 on: December 27, 2022, 08:53:07 AM »
Lovely. What size are those Thunders? 151s?
151 team hollows
55 spitfire og classics
super reds i think
jessup

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #479 on: December 27, 2022, 09:46:12 AM »
Expand Quote
that might be where something like the loveseat works a little better
[close]

I'm a lurker, but feel compelled to add that the loveseat feels super light for its size and no issues with getting consistent/solid kickflips on mine.

Yeah, the shorter length and wheelbase surely help here