Poll

How do you see the twin tip deck market in 5 to 10 years?

Come on...it's just a stupid fashion!
Twin tip & traditional popsicle decks will live happy together.
It's the future! Shut up and take my money!

Author Topic: Twin tip and you? POLL : the deck market in 5 to 10 years?  (Read 4020 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
Re: Poll - Twin tip and you?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2022, 06:53:35 AM »
I had an ishod twin and did not like it. I always thought that I would love a twin, but I hated that deck.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2022, 09:24:15 AM »
I had an ishod twin and did not like it. I always thought that I would love a twin, but I hated that deck.

Just out of curiosity, what made the board unenjoyable?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:34:23 AM by Paul_Glider Skateboards »

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2022, 09:40:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just out of curiosity, what made you the board unenjoyable?

it felt short and stubby. looking it up. It was the "just peachy"  8.3 Length (in): 31.9 Wheelbase (in): 14.4. Given that my current WB is 14.25 on an 8.25 It probably that slight shorter nose/tail that resulted in stubby feeling.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2022, 09:46:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just out of curiosity, what made the board unenjoyable?

I've had 3 DLX 8.3 twin tails, one slick, here were my issues:

Slick was heavy (but all slicks are not just DLX boards)
Wheelbase / overall length felt too long for as short as the kicks are and this where I disagree with there dimensions:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=105756.msg3561391#msg3561391

I don't feel they scale well....like a lot of DLX shapes...you know, those 8.06 or 8.18 boards @ 32" with 14.3" WB; they're better overall now with recent tweaks (mids) but the TT seem locked to a specific dim design. Much like Chocolate, you can get them but only if you want a 14" WB.

Deathwish is much better with traditional board dims with their TT, and they sizes scale now (the first 8.125 was a 14.5" WB ffs) as they are the only ones offering a 'traditional' 8.25 in terms of WB and average length (31.5 to 31.75 now).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 11:14:45 AM by Xen »

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2022, 09:12:02 PM »
I have the ishod 8.3, at first it felt as long as the tails were short. Wore it with ventures highs and 55 f4s, didn't really like it, took if off and keep it as a backup on trips.
  I recently broke a lot of boards so I had to use it, this time with 44 aces and f4s worn around 51mm. Besides being a shuvit machine, flips feel great and the slick helps a lot with slides. Would buy another one but seeing the 8.5 made me curious, has anyone tried both of them?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2022, 10:16:11 PM »
I have the ishod 8.3, at first it felt as long as the tails were short. Wore it with ventures highs and 55 f4s, didn't really like it, took if off and keep it as a backup on trips.
  I recently broke a lot of boards so I had to use it, this time with 44 aces and f4s worn around 51mm. Besides being a shuvit machine, flips feel great and the slick helps a lot with slides. Would buy another one but seeing the 8.5 made me curious, has anyone tried both of them?

I’ve had both. Couldn’t get along with the 8.3”. Tried it with various trucks and wheels and it somehow felt too small but then again not. It felt kinda abrupt and tippy if that makes any sense. Stashed it away and I’m planning on testing it out again this summer and leaving it at a park if I don’t like it. The 8.5” I had shortly after the 8.3” and I absolutely loved it. One of the best decks I’ve skated. The tails feel rather full and comfortable. The size seems just right for me. Everything just worked for me on that deck. Ran it with Ace 44 classics and 54mm wheels. Back then my go to was 8.38” with 14.5” wheelbase, Ace 44 classics and 54mm wheels so this was very close to that but felt even better. I still have one in my stack of new boards but have since strayed all over the place with decks. Some working beautifully for me and some not at all. I keep wondering if I should have just tried to stay with the 8.5” twin tail as it was so good to me.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2022, 03:07:08 PM »
I really hope twin tails stay in regular production because I really like them and have always wished there were lots of them on the market. I don't even skate switch much except for really basic flatground tricks, but I skate my trucks the exact same tightness, and with asymmetrical boards, the back truck would always get looser than the front, which I was not a fan of. With twins, I don't have to worry about rotating my trucks now, and the same goes for wheels, which makes setup way faster.

Solex

• Rep: 29
Re: NEW POLL - Twin tip and you?
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2022, 12:21:38 AM »
Last poll result (first post updated) :

NEW POLL! :)

What kind of twin shape are you interested in?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:08:46 AM by Solex »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2022, 10:22:38 AM »
Like the Ishod 8.3, but would love it If the kicks were more full.  It’s a bit tapered.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2022, 11:59:15 AM »
Square-ish Twin hybrid (AWS style)

Something right between an 8.25 <-> 8.3

Dims:

8.28"
31.88"
14.30" WB
6.65" kicks

Measuring with concave would be around 32.6"?

Solex

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2022, 01:02:55 PM »

Dims:

8.28"
31.88"
14.30" WB
6.65" kicks

It looks like your letter for Snata Claus. :D

What about concave and steepness?

Not sure I can feel the difference between 8.25 ans 8.3!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 01:17:37 PM by Solex »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2022, 01:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote

Dims:

8.28"
31.88"
14.30" WB
6.65" kicks

[close]

It looks like your letter for Snata Claus. :D

What about concave and steepness?

Not sure I can feel the difference between 8.25 ans 8.3!

Medium kicks and concave!

I can tell the difference between 8.25 and 8.3 for sure..I've got a SC 8.28" and it's great (just short wb) it feels full like an 8.3 but a little less skinny than an 8.25". 8.375s really just feel like 8.5s to me depending on nose taper, it's why I like the DLX twin (and old Lrukvilles) as they are tru 8.3"...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 05:03:38 PM by Xen »

GT

• Rep: 7
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2022, 04:53:38 PM »
Which brand has twin tail 8" with 14" WB??

Banned from the room

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2022, 05:58:12 PM »
Double nose is that a double hybrid? I voted that way just to cover my base’s. I’d fuck with a double nose.

It might fuck with me at first

I skate goofy and switch primary on the tail. I skate fakie on the nose usually now just to keep board wear as even as possible . Nollie I’m caught lacking. I got nollie 80 both ways that’s it. Nollie 360 I got but that trick is done kook shit imo. If you can cab why bother helipop (puke) Maybe a nollie back heel in 20 try’s m. Nollie is my weakness in life.

Dimitrov

• Rep: -2
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2022, 07:37:14 PM »
Jereme Rogers switch concave

Solex

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2022, 02:15:47 AM »
Which brand has twin tail 8" with 14" WB??
Not to my knowledge, but this one seems pretty close to what you're looking for :
https://www.paradeworld.com/uk/products/quasi-henry-mirror-twin-tail-skateboard-deck-8125-1-7681484095744/

Quasi Henry Mirror Twin Tail Skateboard Deck - 8.125"

Width - 8.125"
Length - 31.75"
WB - 14.125"

You could maybe ask the question on this thread : https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=105756.msg3781818#new

Double nose is that a double hybrid? I voted that way just to cover my base’s. I’d fuck with a double nose.
To make it simple, depending of the lenght of the tips I'd say :
~ 6.5" and less -> twin tail
~ 6.5" to ~ 7.0" -> twin hybrid
~ 7.0" and more -> twin nose

That being said, note that kick lenghts tend to vary a bit with board width, and I don't speak about steepness, tip shape or 'fingers of flat' which can make the kick feels different person to person, so take this with a grain of salt!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 01:19:35 AM by Solex »

Solex

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2022, 06:43:41 AM »
I thought twin tails were far ahead, but it seems there is much more love for hybrids than I assumed. I was probably biased by Ishod's popularity.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2022, 06:56:15 AM »

Well then basically everything is a hybrid.
The 6.6 kicks on the 8.3 ishod twin definitely feel like tails for me. Still struggling to get my nollie flips on it after skating a normal 7" nose for a while.

I'd personally only consider 6.7-6.9 hybrid territory.

Solex

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2022, 07:38:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well then basically everything is a hybrid.
The 6.6 kicks on the 8.3 ishod twin definitely feel like tails for me. Still struggling to get my nollie flips on it after skating a normal 7" nose for a while.

I'd personally only consider 6.7-6.9 hybrid territory.
:D
That being said, note that kick lenghts tend to vary a bit with board width, and I don't speak about steepness, tip shape or 'fingers of flat' which can make the kick feels different person to person, so take this with a grain of salt!

Solex

Re: TWIN TIP AND YOU? Poll : the deck market in 5 to 10 years?
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2022, 10:37:27 AM »
Last poll result (first post updated) :

New poll : How do you see the twin tip deck market in 5 to 10 years?

Frontside Slappy

• Rep: 96
  • Somewhere in a parking garage
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2022, 10:53:50 AM »
I could see more board companies that don't already have a twin tip shape in production putting them out alongside their asymmetrical popsicle!

Twin shapes like any other shape that differs from the norm aren't for everyone, but it's nice to see that even over the past couple years more companies have been introducing twin shapes into their lines.
"That was a clean one." -Werner Herzog

Solex

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2022, 12:29:00 PM »
I really don't think it's a fashion. In my opinion the fact that so bankable names like Ishod and Suciu skate twin shapes plays a huge role in the current developpement, and if more and more big names come in the twin train, I won't be surprised to see this market overcome and surpass the traditional assymmetrical one in not so many years.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2022, 12:47:50 PM »
Did a little google search trends data pull to see how things are trending. Thought it was interesting

And obviously we love a twin tail shape, although I am personally fine reverting back to a normal popsicle as well. One of the main reasons we started is because we want to offer this shape at all times in all sizes (more sizes are on the way)

-

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Twin tip and you? POLL : the deck market in 5 to 10 years?
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2022, 01:12:15 PM »
I always thought it was proprietary or more expensive to make, hence only certain brands did it with BBS as least….

Paul_Glider Skateboards

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2022, 01:26:07 PM »
I always thought it was proprietary or more expensive to make, hence only certain brands did it with BBS as least….

It is more expensive to make because it generally hurts the workflow / production of manufacturers. They prefer working with the templatized shapes since it is a much more streamlined process

-

Solex

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2022, 01:50:47 PM »
Did a little google search trends data pull to see how things are trending. Thought it was interesting

And obviously we love a twin tail shape, although I am personally fine reverting back to a normal popsicle as well. One of the main reasons we started is because we want to offer this shape at all times in all sizes (more sizes are on the way)
Such a good idea! It clearly shows the increasing interest by the last few years.
I guess if the woodshop already has a mold with the same radius and angle for both tip and a standard concave design, it's just one more shape. Unless it has to make some new molds, I don't see why it would be more expensive to produce.

Edit :
It is more expensive to make because it generally hurts the workflow / production of manufacturers. They prefer working with the templatized shapes since it is a much more streamlined process
I'm not sure to understand. Could you please tell a bit more about that?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 02:21:07 PM by Solex »

Paul_Glider Skateboards

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2022, 03:25:50 PM »
to a smaller degree, It's like ordering a quesorito at chipotle haha

https://www.mashed.com/649777/how-chipotle-employees-really-feel-when-you-order-a-quesarito/

Working with a manufacturer shapes is much easier because its streamlined and one step removed from manufacturing

-

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2022, 03:33:55 PM »
I think they're here to stay as long as some pros ride them, realistically the only reason there are so many now is because of ishod (and bobby), other companies wanted a piece of that [twin] tail.

Solex

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2022, 12:51:01 AM »

https://www.mashed.com/649777/how-chipotle-employees-really-feel-when-you-order-a-quesarito/

Working with a manufacturer shapes is much easier because its streamlined and one step removed from manufacturing
Yeah, because it's not in the standard manufacturer's shape choice and they have to make a small CNC program for your batch, but it would be the same for any custom shape, isn't it? Apart from that, I don't see how the manufacturing process can be different for a twin or a traditional batch, unless I missed something?

P.s: your post makes me want to taste this Quesarito! :D

I think they're here to stay as long as some pros ride them, realistically the only reason there are so many now is because of ishod (and bobby), other companies wanted a piece of that [twin] tail.
I don't think the compagnies make more money because Ishod's or Foy's models are twin things. In fact I think they do less money because skaters are not used to skate this kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:18:22 AM by Solex »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2022, 09:16:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah, because it's not in the standard manufacturer's shape choice and they have to make a small CNC program for your batch, but it would be the same for any custom shape, isn't it? Apart from that, I don't see how the manufacturing process can be different for a twin or a traditional batch, unless I missed something?

P.s: your post makes me want to taste this Quesarito! :D

Expand Quote
[close]
I don't think the compagnies make more money because Ishod's or Foy's models are twin things. In fact I think they do less money because skaters are not used to skate this kind of stuff.

That wasn't my point.

Ishod rides a twin because he likes them, that's his pro model of choice (same for worrest and presumably Foy); the companies rolled them out for the masses and it obviously stuck/caught or they wouldn't keep mass marketing them and just make them for the pros. Foy's 'custom' big boy foy shape he rode was a SW exclusive for a while..Nigels Disorder board is his propriety shape.

Other companies saw a market and followed suit because they had team riders asking for them. Could it be a fad? Possibly...it has happened before about 7 years ago when creature/mystery/plan b were doing them on the regular.