Poll

Would you skate a spot on a strangers front porch/home?

.....Yea
.....Nah
.....Maybe under special circumstances, for an important clip or something.

Author Topic: Poll: To skate on a strangers front porch/home or not?  (Read 4347 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 831
Re: Poll: To skate on a strangers front porch/home or not?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2022, 09:45:43 AM »
i’ve had a gun pulled on me and what we thought was an abandoned house before. windows we’re boarded up and no cars in the driveway. never doing that shit again.
I'm guessing this was in America, I would never skate a porch/home there for this exact reason

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2022, 09:47:09 AM »
I don't know why people so commonly overlook this but the skater's trick choice I believe factors a lot in the equation, just because it's two skateboarders skating a porch doesn't mean they're doing the same thing. The true class act is hitting such a spot without damaging it nor annoying anyone, like sure enough you could nosegrind across that step or wallie that planter corner but will your little clip be worth the end result when you could have ollied over the whole driveway on your way down the hill first try and filmed that instead and it would have looked better anyway. It's pretty rare, but you do have pros who have that mentality of actually respecting the neighborhoods they skate (past the fact that they're indeed going to skate them) by considering both their own moves and the residents (who aren't always stupid and a lot of times are just confused about what you're doing). I actually don't mind people 'confronting' me for skating street spots because then just with attitude I always get to make them realize that yes, civil skateboarders can and do exist (which sometimes seems to instantly fuck with their brain).

A lot of skaters who don't know humility love to blame the rest of the world for being insane whenever it's kicking them out of a spot that day, but to be fair from what I've seen in such situations it's pretty commonly on their own lack of communication skills, or them abusing someone else's generous patience when not antagonizing them to then play victim on the spot. But that's jock shit. I've heard stories of some skaters in SF buying flowers, drinks and chocolates and developing good relationships with specific homeowners. Just last year or so I've had one dude rush out of his door and come at me fuming with a red face and clenched fist and even that situation I defused in seconds (well he still refused my beer). Yes some people are crazy but a lot of problems only exist because people make them.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2022, 09:57:56 AM »
i’ve had a gun pulled on me and what we thought was an abandoned house before. windows we’re boarded up and no cars in the driveway. never doing that shit again.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2022, 10:00:26 AM »
Triple check your states castle doctrine laws.    It doesn't take much for an owner to justifiably shoot and kill you over a clip.   

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2022, 10:00:49 AM »
I don't know why people so commonly overlook this but the skater's trick choice I believe factors a lot in the equation, just because it's two skateboarders skating a porch doesn't mean they're doing the same thing. The true class act is hitting such a spot without damaging it nor annoying anyone, like sure enough you could nosegrind across that step or wallie that planter corner but will your little clip be worth the end result when you could have ollied over the whole driveway on your way down the hill first try and filmed that instead and it would have looked better anyway. It's pretty rare, but you do have pros who have that mentality of actually respecting the neighborhoods they skate (past the fact that they're indeed going to skate them) by considering both their own moves and the residents (who aren't always stupid and a lot of times are just confused about what you're doing). I actually don't mind people 'confronting' me for skating street spots because then just with attitude I always get to make them realize that yes, civil skateboarders can and do exist (which sometimes seems to instantly fuck with their brain).

A lot of skaters who don't know humility love to blame the rest of the world for being insane whenever it's kicking them out of a spot that day, but to be fair from what I've seen in such situations it's pretty commonly on their own lack of communication skills, or them abusing someone else's generous patience when not antagonizing them to then play victim on the spot. But that's jock shit. I've heard stories of some skaters in SF buying flowers, drinks and chocolates and developing good relationships with specific homeowners. Just last year or so I've had one dude rush out of his door and come at me fuming with a red face and clenched fist and even that situation I defused in seconds (well he still refused my beer). Yes some people are crazy but a lot of problems only exist because people make them.

Definitely civil communication with the homeowners is a plus in building relationships with the homeowners in explaining why us skaters do this on their property and eyeing out the spot that hasnt been skated before. Also for most of the blue collar skaters, asking the property owners to repaint the rails, walls, or ledges after skating their spot also helps not tarnish the spot for the rest of the us

cky enthusiast

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2022, 10:07:19 AM »
Triple check your states castle doctrine laws.    It doesn't take much for an owner to justifiably shoot and kill you over a clip.

better bring your own gun just to be safe

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2022, 10:09:34 AM »
If a spot is really tempting and on the very edge of someones property (like touching the sidewalk) then maybe - if I know its a one or two try trick. If I have go well onto their property or up onto their porch I feel like thats too far. All the giant new apartment buildings popping up in my area are definitely fair game in my book, but if I'm asked to leave I'll still be respectful about it.

manysnakes

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2022, 10:17:08 AM »
I don't remember the video, but there's some big name video which featured the skaters ripping down a brand new Japanese Maple in order to skate some shitty little ledge leading out of someone's driveway. It stood out because I actually recognized the spot - it was some townhomes which had been built in the first neighborhood I lived in when I moved here. That was particularly offensive, as a gardener and someone who actually maintains a yard to some extent, imagining the grossest bunch of #metoo'ed twenty-somethings skater losers ripping down my expensive sapling in order to do a boardslide on a basic ledge. I would lose my fucking mind if someone did that to me.

There's a little curb spot by my house I hit regularly, but some of the best curbs run along a garden bed that the community is maintaining. Some of them have tomato plants, but others are just local plant vanities planted to do "rainwise" management (planting local plants which absorb all rain and eliminate some of the need for extensive rainwater management). I avoid all of those, and I only hit the curb that runs along the some basic zoysia grass. If someone started gardening there, I supposed I'd leave that spot, too.

Basically I like plants more than skateboarding, when push comes to shove. 

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2022, 10:19:44 AM »
Nah. As someone living in SF, I see it all the time. Saw a group of skaters break some property to make the spot better. disrespectful.

oak leaf

• Rep: 58
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2022, 10:27:12 AM »
no clip i could get would be worth it  :)

looks kinda rad when someone skilled skates millionaires’ homes tho (fuck em)

Magnolia

• Rep: 462
  • She/They
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2022, 10:29:54 AM »
What about funeral homes/cremation centres?
I avoid them if there's clearly a funeral or wake happening but they're fair game if there's nothing going on
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

IpathCats

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2022, 11:34:08 AM »
Expand Quote
What about funeral homes/cremation centres?
[close]
I avoid them if there's clearly a funeral or wake happening but they're fair game if there's nothing going on

GX1000 crew will bomb anything, even someones funeral, so core.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2022, 12:27:05 PM »
Apartment probably. If I’m bumming out tenants, I’m out of there.
Being a new home owner, I’d be likely to loose my shit on some kids skating my property and might have to fight there dad.
*even though there’s nothing skateable at my house and I’m a frail coward with glass wrists.
But what’s up with your pond tho? Haha.

Edit for on topic response: there’s no reason for me to be on anyone’s porch uninvited. I try not to act on ideas that I know are going to bum people out.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 02:34:37 PM by pinche gringo »

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 42
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2022, 12:39:58 PM »
I think it depends on the spot. if its an epic unique spot then it needs to get skated by someone. ripping down trees and destroying flowers and shit is lame. if its just some rinky-dink shit that can found somewhere else dont bother skating it. But sometimes staking the place out and then getting it is rad.

it think its a zack wallen video of a spot in SJ on communication hill where theres a wide ledge runway that elscalators down to a street gap. im pretty sure a tree was removed to make that skateable. its just some dumb gap where the runway is cooler than gap itself.

"whats your name"

"Ansel Adams"

Pretty Serious

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2022, 01:04:47 PM »
if the spot calls for it it calls for it, but i wouldn't want to run the risk of the homeowners stepping out like

If I had to bet, I'd unfortunately bet that my neighbor would shoot a "trespasser" and think about the consequences later.  Careful out there people are insane.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2022, 01:09:47 PM »
 Just pee on the spot to mark your territory and it's all yours.

Burnerboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2022, 01:27:45 PM »
I pass this house on my run each day. It's tempting but the owner kinda scares me.

I want to say that had to be made to skate but why would that be the only obstacle you build?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1187
  • old and in the way
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2022, 01:47:03 PM »
In the neighborhood next to mine there are several really fun looking driveway spots and there's one in particular I've thought about asking permission to try and get a non-destructive manual trick at, but that entire area is heavily saturated with retired cops and Republicans flying Trump/Blue Lives Matter flags, so I doubt they'd be psyched on my dorky attempts at a cinematic skate clip. You never know though.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 46
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2022, 01:55:23 PM »
When I was a kid yes. As an adult no. There are plenty of good spots, curbs etc. to skate where I live. I don't hate on other skaters doing it. Just my personal choice.

Btw. I love the SF hills skating on property - so a bit of double standards from me.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2022, 02:04:15 PM »
"necessary evil"

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2022, 02:16:38 PM »
I just bought a home and I'd let people skate it if:

1. If it does reasonable cosmetic damage (I can also accept waxed/grinded ledge) that doesn't affect my foundation, roofing, hvac, etc.
2. I get a copy of the landed trick for my viewing pleasure
3. You clean your trash afterwards.
4. If you're a pro, I want some product.
5. Once the sun goes down you leave (no generators for your whatever homie video please)

I know this is coming from a skater so its different but I really don't give a fuck. I bought my place as a home and not an investment. I don't feel entitled to a pristine house and I would like for my property served as a point of joy for skaters. Alas, my house has no spot in front of it but if youre trying to wax the curb in front, go for it.

k-nutz

• Rep: 54
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2022, 02:17:53 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't do it because I don't want to wake up babies or   disturb people at all really. People seem especially sensitive to skate sounds and it can be triggering for some so I've always been careful about it.
[close]

I caught myself „kicking out“ a group of younger skaters when they skated directly under our sons room window when he was about 10 months old.
I know...it’s my son ,but it still felt kind of weird telling people not to skate  ;D

I had a lady come out of her house to yell at me skating down the middle of street for keeping her kid up.  This was in the suburbs with like quarter acre lots so it wasn't like I was under the kid's window.  Also it was like 6:30 in the evening during the summer.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 59
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2022, 03:13:35 PM »
Me??? I’ll skate a good spot that’s someone’s property in a heartbeat. I’ll try a quick 2 to 3 times then move on and try it the next day if I want to... or not. Don’t like confrontation but also not afraid if it.

First moved to HB I was on felony probation, was really iffy to skate certain spots at first because in the back of my head I knew if a cop was a dick I could go to jail just for hopping a fence and skating anything.

Met Tom K (pre OIAM) at the Santa Ana park and during one of our first conversations I explained how timid I was to hit up some of the spots he was telling me he skated. He looked at me like I was a saggy labia majoras and ever since then Ive decided to barge anything. Can’t have Tom thinking I’m a poosey.

My rule is ride till someone says something then I’ll just go away, no need to argue with people. Just say sorry even though you don’t really mean it and go on about your day. After skating for years it’s pretty easy to diffuse most situations because most people just don’t want to get into confrontations nowadays.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2022, 04:07:21 PM »
If it’s a gap and you really aren’t fucking anything up or disturbing anyone: Maybe.

Any sort of grind or wallride that would leave a mark: No.

If the homeowner is elderly or an invalid or a single mom or something: No.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2022, 04:15:43 PM »
if its some douche bag millionaire then go the fuck in. honestly fuck them. they did not earn that place in society it was gifted and grafted. they can deal with it. i am having a fucking trash day today.

No such things as self made millionaires; inventors, athletes, business savvy cut throat wall street wizkids don't exist... I also hope you're having a better day ❤️

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2022, 05:00:44 PM »
Expand Quote
I pass this house on my run each day. It's tempting but the owner kinda scares me.

[close]

I want to say that had to be made to skate but why would that be the only obstacle you build?
It's Jordan Hoffart's crib lol, circa 2015

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 172
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2022, 06:07:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Being a new home owner, I’d be likely to loose my shit on some kids skating my property and might have to fight there dad.
*even though there’s nothing skateable at my house and I’m a frail coward with glass wrists.
[close]

Edit for on topic response: there’s no reason for me to be on anyone’s porch uninvited. I try not to act on ideas that I know are going to bum people out.
Oh shit, whuddup Jason? I was wondering when I’d figure out who you were. I remember you saying your handle  was somewhat Hispanic.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2022, 08:27:10 PM »
if its some douche bag millionaire then go the fuck in. honestly fuck them. they did not earn that place in society it was gifted and grafted. they can deal with it. i am having a fucking trash day today.

Let it out dawg fuck those richies

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2022, 08:33:59 PM »
i only skate shit at peoples houses if it's something you can access from the sidewalk while crusing by, i never session anything like that. you only get that one try going past as fast as you can
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2022, 09:23:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Oh shit, whuddup Jason? I was wondering when I’d figure out who you were. I remember you saying your handle  was somewhat Hispanic.

Hahaha. Yeah. Mantando Gueros felt too heavy handed so I went with pinche gringo. I feel like I’ve outgrown it, but I get Palperks discounts on spent kingpin washers and stripped axle nuts so…