Author Topic: Thrasher SOTY 2022  (Read 29913 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Thrasher SOTY 2022
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2022, 06:45:32 AM »
koston noseslid the spiral stairs

later on i saw some guy in daisy dukes get really hurt trying to copy koston

Guy in daisy dukes for SOTY
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2022, 07:12:18 AM »
Expand Quote
koston noseslid the spiral stairs

later on i saw some guy in daisy dukes get really hurt trying to copy koston
[close]

Guy in daisy dukes for SOTY

Daniel Haney por vida. Arkansas’ finest.

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2022, 07:16:54 AM »
I think the louie lopez cover is on part with the china banks trick. Also to add, T Funk probably lives in SF / got to skate that thing for a long time before he had to do it, where Louie probably only had like 1 very brief opportunity to even see the spot and then execute. I think this might be his year if his part is really good. I Also would be interested in a Slap Skater of the Year (or even just curious who performed best each season?) I am curious to know who actual skateboarders liked the best and not swayed by corporate cash
It is, in fact, not.  Louie is sick but nothing touches that bench ollie.  It has been there forever skated by the best people in history fairly regularly and no one has even come close to doing that.  I think if you saw the big bench (HUGE) and the banks in person you would be blown away it doesn't even make sense.  I think someone here said that locals have skated that Louie spot and done similar things (?) already.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2022, 07:25:52 AM »
Expand Quote
I think the louie lopez cover is on part with the china banks trick. Also to add, T Funk probably lives in SF / got to skate that thing for a long time before he had to do it, where Louie probably only had like 1 very brief opportunity to even see the spot and then execute. I think this might be his year if his part is really good. I Also would be interested in a Slap Skater of the Year (or even just curious who performed best each season?) I am curious to know who actual skateboarders liked the best and not swayed by corporate cash
[close]
It is, in fact, not.  Louie is sick but nothing touches that bench ollie.  It has been there forever skated by the best people in history fairly regularly and no one has even come close to doing that.  I think if you saw the big bench (HUGE) and the banks in person you would be blown away it doesn't even make sense.  I think someone here said that locals have skated that Louie spot and done similar things (?) already.
Not taking sides but this spot looks like something I'd be blown away seeing in person too. I don't think any locals did anything there but Chris Jones Ollied into the bank

Psychic Pebbles

« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2022, 08:06:19 AM »
Search didn’t turn up a relevant thread. Who looks to be going for it?

- Louie - if he puts out a few more parts it’s his to lose
- Cookie - same output as LL; on a tear
- TFunk - trick of the year, hellride, SF, great baker part

Other than that I don’t know or see anyone that’s churning out as much material as them.

Who’s in the running?

T-Funk - Shane Farber - braden hoban and Jake Anderson were my picks

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2022, 08:11:22 AM »
If I were putting money on it I would say Louie.

If he has clips in the hockey vide then full part in th FA video.  Plus he’s been consistently in the mix for the last 5 years. Louie, like cookie is in “the zone”.  He’s been in it longer than anyone else. Louie of cookie. That’s it.
Doesn't have any clips in the Hockey video, Louie SOTY run cancelled

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2022, 09:47:10 AM »
That footage that got posted recently of Rich Adler almost landing back 50 down that curved rail was fucked.

Kostons noseslide was a weird one, more heel than board on the shit. But in the context of his yeah right part it looked cool but I always wondered if the my had to lower the volume of his heel squeaking down that shit.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1267
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2022, 05:42:15 PM »

IpathCats

« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2022, 05:57:34 AM »
I think the most rational arguments could be made for T-Funk and Hoban right now.

Tfunk had a great part, and ended it with a trick that will go down in skate history.

Hoban has put out a couple parts right? All super crazy, and showed up to contests and killed it.

I'd also like to nominate Gustav, everything he does is perfect, and aside from his actual skateboarding, his videos and company are a huge contribution to skateboarding and have really helped put europe on the map (no pun intended). Personally, i see value in that.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2022, 08:21:13 AM »
I think the most rational arguments could be made for T-Funk and Hoban right now.

Tfunk had a great part, and ended it with a trick that will go down in skate history.

Hoban has put out a couple parts right? All super crazy, and showed up to contests and killed it.

I'd also like to nominate Gustav, everything he does is perfect, and aside from his actual skateboarding, his videos and company are a huge contribution to skateboarding and have really helped put europe on the map (no pun intended). Personally, i see value in that.

Aren't contests pretty much negative points towards soty though? I don't see Hoban getting it just yet, but sure he could be soty in the future. Just rewatched Tfunks part and even without the historic ender, that part was incredible.

Waves

• Rep: -7
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2022, 12:34:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Not taking sides but this spot looks like something I'd be blown away seeing in person too. I don't think any locals did anything there but Chris Jones Ollied into the bank

That thing looks crazy, is there a clip somewhere?

Banned from the room

« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2022, 01:32:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Too bad europros get no recognition would love to see Gustav get some love
[close]

I’m the early 2000s (yea a pretty long time ago) a bunch of the flip dudes got it back to back I think and then David Gonzales. Gustav needs to WANT it.
[close]
Every big international who has won SOTY had relocated to the States. Bob, Arto, Rowley, Apples, Milton and Daveed were all living in California. I don't think they've ever given it to someone who didn't reside in the US. I think the guys with the best shots at doing that in recent years were Chima (although he's lived in the states and is stacked sponsor wise) and Tom Knox.

The list of SOTY's who won it while not living in California is probably pretty short. I believe Ishod and Grant won while living in Philly and Atlanta respectively. Tyshawn and Suciu won while living in NYC. I believe Silas won while living in SF, but could have been back in Oregon by then.
[close]

Tom Knox really has to be in the running this year. So excited for whatever footage he drops.

The thing about Tom Knox is that the shit he is skating is often so crusty that its more difficult than whatever California spots. To take him out of his element and drop him in California might undersell his unique skillset.
[close]

Exhibit A:

[close]

Jesus, it looks so small on video compared to the photos. I didn't know the stuff he was skating could be that much more gnarly than I thought.

Dudes such a unique skater.
[close]

The second slide is my favourite. How the fuck did he get round the zig zag up there switch

That spot is so sick. I wish we had shit like that around here back in the.

Punch that laptop

• Rep: 4
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2022, 10:23:04 AM »
1.T-Funk
2.Braden Hoban
3.Shane Farber
4.Louie Lopez

-Rooting for T-funk that frontside Ollie at the China banks was gnarly as fuck and also put out a solid ass part in the first half of the year
I’m like the Riddler but I don’t makes sense so you always lose

getonkrooked

• Rep: -104
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2022, 07:50:57 AM »
It's Louie's year for sure. He killed it at CPH pro and other events like that FA jam, is dropping quality small edits on insta regularly, got the magazine cover and has a Spitfire part coming out on Monday.

doyle

• Rep: 214
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2022, 07:58:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

That thing looks crazy, is there a clip somewhere?

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2022, 06:37:32 AM »
I hope t funk wins it this year and louie saves his footage for a full year long run next year , thrasher could also start implementing trick of the year and part of the year, rookie pro of the year.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2022, 06:50:57 AM »
my personal skater of the year is fred gall because he really embodies the struggle most of us have to deal with of winter time, shitty spots, getting old, not doing this for a pro part, maybe has to buy some shoes from time to time even. came through with really insane stuff for his part. the fact he does so mcuh for his local area to build all these spots means a lot more than doing hard tricks.

tbh at this point i actually like what Jeff Carlyle has done in 1 video than Louie + T Funk combined. i think if we are going for gnarliest stuff he has them both beat. they just did 1 big trick, he put out like 10 minutes of insane footage in the gx video, not a single wack clip. t funk did have really good stuff in the gx vid too though but it wasnt as sick as Jeff. he did the entire hill and he did a harder trick.

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2022, 07:01:11 AM »
jake anderson needs to be in the conversation as well. ripping right now.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2022, 07:06:11 AM »
Yeah JAnderson's been on a mad one, this is absolutely nuts

http://www.instagram.com/reel/Chn8TRXlxjp/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2022, 07:06:34 AM »

im actually shocked he hasnt been mentioned more, he has put out some really insane stuff. but i guess its really never been about who is putting out the best stuff necessarily.

t funk and louie are in the right places right now so i think that is why they are so hype. lol it just feels like certain guys never get "put over" cause they dont have the right sponsors or the right image or something. T Funk and Louie are so recognizeable from a mile away and on such hype brands. getting really good coverage but also at the same time doing that super high level skating.

it feels a bit hollywood. i would like to see someone more behind the scenes get some recognition one year

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2022, 07:17:15 AM »
Changing my vote from T Funk to Jeff Carlyle, official.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2022, 07:38:29 AM »
I think Hoban is kind of a cool choice just because he came blasting in out of fucking nowhere.
I saw an Emerica demo a lil over a year ago and none of us knew who he was, but he stole the show at the demo.
The team was lined up to sign stuff, I had a shop board I had bought for them to sign and when I got to Hoban and handed him the board he looked at me and said "you want me to sign it?"
I was like "yeah man!" and he seemed pretty stoked, a lot of people were just passing by him at the table.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2022, 08:21:37 AM »
FRED GALL
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -625
  • who knows
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2022, 08:31:11 AM »
louie.

i dont ever want to see someone win soty if they do safe hands all over the place.  sorry tristan
where is home?

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2022, 09:37:16 AM »
louie.

i dont ever want to see someone win soty if they do safe hands all over the place.  sorry tristan
I mean safety hands get a pass if you are doing undeniably reckless shit at high speed all the time.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2022, 11:20:43 AM »

I think it's fairly safe to say he will be a contender when nominees are announced.

Thrasher has heavily reposted clips from his "STOP" part throughout the year.
Mix that with his performance at the Bunt/FA events.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -510
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2022, 11:30:53 AM »
Expand Quote
louie.

[close]
I mean safety hands get a pass if you are doing undeniably reckless shit at high speed all the time.

He’s toned it down and stepped up the gnar factor but it is still kinda excessive especially when you have the gxdudes skating with him and not doing it nearly as much as him. But it does add to his style.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2022, 12:24:10 PM »
That footage that got posted recently of Rich Adler almost landing back 50 down that curved rail was fucked.

Kostons noseslide was a weird one, more heel than board on the shit. But in the context of his yeah right part it looked cool but I always wondered if the my had to lower the volume of his heel squeaking down that shit.

Free max b

Wasn’t the noseslide during that x games street contest?

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2022, 12:32:11 PM »
I believe your right. It wasn't part of the contest for say...but they were skating City Hall. That noseblunt Koston did on the orange barrier was also super sick.

Has anyone ever tried anything else on the curved rail besides 50 50 and noseslide. I guess tailslide is technically possible.

Found the video, what a super sick contest for its time:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 12:47:10 PM by Lowcalcium »

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2022, 12:50:42 PM »
Hoban for sure.