Author Topic: ****BRONZE56K PREMIERED TEN YEARS AGO TODAY***** (VERY RARE) [240P]  (Read 5636 times)

apport

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
Re: ****BRONZE56K PREMIERED TEN YEARS AGO TODAY***** (VERY RARE) [240P]
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 05:16:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yeah this stuff wasn’t really groundbreaking at all, just 2010 era net art and popular tumblr aesthetics made into a skate brand
[close]

Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. Genuine question, what else besides using the Vaporwave/Seapunk aesthetic that was very popular around that time period has Bronze done that's so innovative? Not even hating, I think Bronze has carved a nice lane for themselves and I have a nostalgic spot in my heart for the vaporwave aesthetic. Just wondering if they really were that revolutionary as I wasn't skating or following skate media in 2012.
[close]

I wouldnt say it was revolutionary but it was a sigh of relief from everything being released then.

2012 was kinda when Thrasher parts started becoming a thing, Pretty Sweet was released, Artsy HD filming was at its peak, SLS was blowing up, people preferred Cali over east coast skating.
ehh i think you’re misrepresenting 2012, it wasn’t like the pre-youtube era where you’re pretty much forced to pay attention to mainstream cali-based videos. in 2012 there were independent, non-HD videos coming out from everywhere.
the lo-fi vaporwave net art ironic rap mixtape pastiche stuff was huge outside of skating, by the time bronze ran with it it was already oversaturated. good videos, but i think they get mythologized a little too much.

apport

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2022, 10:17:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yeah this stuff wasn’t really groundbreaking at all, just 2010 era net art and popular tumblr aesthetics made into a skate brand
[close]

Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. Genuine question, what else besides using the Vaporwave/Seapunk aesthetic that was very popular around that time period has Bronze done that's so innovative? Not even hating, I think Bronze has carved a nice lane for themselves and I have a nostalgic spot in my heart for the vaporwave aesthetic. Just wondering if they really were that revolutionary as I wasn't skating or following skate media in 2012.
[close]

I wouldnt say it was revolutionary but it was a sigh of relief from everything being released then.

2012 was kinda when Thrasher parts started becoming a thing, Pretty Sweet was released, Artsy HD filming was at its peak, SLS was blowing up, people preferred Cali over east coast skating.
[close]
ehh i think you’re misrepresenting 2012, it wasn’t like the pre-youtube era where you’re pretty much forced to pay attention to mainstream cali-based videos. in 2012 there were independent, non-HD videos coming out from everywhere.
the lo-fi vaporwave net art ironic rap mixtape pastiche stuff was huge outside of skating, by the time bronze ran with it it was already oversaturated. good videos, but i think they get mythologized a little too much.
[close]
give me five. struggling to think of any right now
i don't keep a catalog in my head of video release dates, but i think tres trill came out then, worship friendship, magenta videos, polar videos, not saying all of those are indie but none were like a glossy HD big budget production.
there's a lot more listed here https://skatevideo.site/videos?year=2012

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 10:31:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

lo-fi vaporwave net art ironic rap mixtape pastiche stuff

• lo fi
  • vaporwave
  • net art
  • ironic rap mixtape

You used 4-5 descriptors there. You're trying to spin this like this was an obvious "huge" thing at the time?

I remember that all of these were a separate thing. Worldstar was one, Lo-Fi hip hop was another, net art was another, and i don't even know what you'd call people pointing guns at infants or giving a middle finger to their family members in a casket -- dark web shock humor? You're saying people were making stuff with all of these at once? Bronze was not just a bunch of Roman busts and only vaporwave music, it was that mixed with a LOT of other stuff, almost too much to keep up with as you're watching. The last part is Gonyon skating to Chief Keef with a purple tint. That's not vaporwave or net art. And before that there's Dexter Wansel's Rings of Saturn. That doesn't fit your characterization either, so there's even more shit in the pot than you listed.

You're saying all of this was an obvious and common combination???

You're saying this was an obvious and common combination with well filmed and very good skateboarding?????

If anything I think it's you that's trying to rewrite history a little bit.

Just to be clear I don't think these dudes need anyone defending this shit and the vids stand on their own (and i'm sure this sort of TLDR shit would probably be extremely corny to them) but I had my head plugged into the internet during this time and it's not how you're trying to spin it.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 10:52:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
i don't keep a catalog in my head of video release dates, but i think tres trill came out then, worship friendship, magenta videos, polar videos, not saying all of those are indie but none were like a glossy HD big budget production.

My argument to this is, Worship Friendship at the time you had to buy the DVD to be able to watch it and been following the Arizona scene to know of it.

Same with Magenta, Palace, and Polar. They were very niche at the time unless you were in EU or following those scene hard. Those videos didnt catch on until TOA became more popular a year or 2 later.

I never said that there werent non HD indie videos coming out at the time but alot of them were gate kept through having to buy the hardcopy. 56K went straight to youtube.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 11:01:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

My argument to this is, Worship Friendship at the time you had to buy the DVD to be able to watch it and been following the Arizona scene to know of it.

Same with Magenta, Palace, and Polar. They were very niche at the time unless you were in EU or following those scene hard. Those videos didnt catch on until TOA became more popular a year or 2 later.

I never said that there werent non HD indie videos coming out at the time but alot of them were gate kept through having to buy the hardcopy. 56K went straight to youtube.
All that stuff was free for anyone on Vimeo and YouTube and anyone found them easy as. Both things are true there was all the mainstream hd vids and sls was building and all the other stuff also existed for anyone who skated. 2012 kinda fucking ruled really.

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 109
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2022, 11:20:57 AM »
fuck you if you type in all caps

apport

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2022, 12:02:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

lo-fi vaporwave net art ironic rap mixtape pastiche stuff

• lo fi
  • vaporwave
  • net art
  • ironic rap mixtape

You used 4-5 descriptors there. You're trying to spin this like this was an obvious "huge" thing at the time?

I remember that all of these were a separate thing. Worldstar was one, Lo-Fi hip hop was another, net art was another, and i don't even know what you'd call people pointing guns at infants or giving a middle finger to their family members in a casket -- dark web shock humor? You're saying people were making stuff with all of these at once? Bronze was not just a bunch of Roman busts and only vaporwave music, it was that mixed with a LOT of other stuff, almost too much to keep up with as you're watching. The last part is Gonyon skating to Chief Keef with a purple tint. That's not vaporwave or net art. And before that there's Dexter Wansel's Rings of Saturn. That doesn't fit your characterization either, so there's even more shit in the pot than you listed.

You're saying all of this was an obvious and common combination???

You're saying this was an obvious and common combination with well filmed and very good skateboarding?????

If anything I think it's you that's trying to rewrite history a little bit.

Just to be clear I don't think these dudes need anyone defending this shit and the vids stand on their own (and i'm sure this sort of TLDR shit would probably be extremely corny to them) but I had my head plugged into the internet during this time and it's not how you're trying to spin it.
sorry, i didn't mean to make it seem like i was lumping all those things into one thing, just saying all that stuff was big on the internet at the time. i remember watching the first bronze videos thinking they were the most tumblr shit ever. like, the solo jazz cup design was a big meme then. and not to be on some well actually nerd shit but "rings of saturn" isn't some obscure thing, it was sampled in that action bronson/riff raff song "bird on a wire", which is more than likely the reason they used it. i mean i really don't have any complaint against the videos, i enjoy them a lot and they did a good job of combining all those various influences, i just never thought it was all that groundbreaking or brilliant. admittedly i am a little sour on bronze since they ripped off that world4jack animation and everyone gave them a pass.

apport

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2022, 12:13:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
yes, that handful of videos, released over the span of two/three years (they weren't all 2012), all bucked the norm and were all very cool - that's why we're still talking about them, as well - but beyond palace, they had nothing to do with what bronze ended up doing and they don't negate the impact the series had on a lot of people at the time and for a while to come

if you really want a broad overview of what skateboarding looked like in 2012, look no further than the cinematographer video transworld put out that year. watch a few parts from this and then watch the bronze video, and you can see why it resonated with people

sir, that clearly says "2011"
check and mate
anyway, my point wasn't that the bronze videos didn't have a big impact, but that in 2012 there wasn't a dearth of non-HD, non cali-centric videos. it was a completely fine and good time in skating.

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2022, 03:13:42 PM »
you off your keister if you think bronze videos didnt have an impact. 

i mean Dick Rizzo alone....cmon. stop playin

shit inspired a whole generation.

i remeber around that time, a deathwish video came out...had all the OG's in it too.

i vividly remember not being able to finish watching it outta boredom, and putting on solo jazz instead

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2022, 09:10:03 PM »
the trashy tumblr eboy aesthetic rly didn’t age well i find that stuff so cringe to watch now. the guy from salem is dating lana del ray rn & all the Lana fans r like ew he post pictures of a bloody mattress but they r right it’s not like he took the picture or even found it on a deep dive. tumblr is literally just reposting memes and stupid pics that some1 else reposted it’s not like you’re the goonie & found the bury treasure of one eyed willy santos basically everything on the internet is funny now

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2022, 09:36:31 PM »
The music and skating has always been on point.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2022, 10:59:18 PM »
Thank god for Peter, thank god for that 56K dvd with Caviar on it
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2022, 01:48:07 AM »
Coke boys baby

La musica de Harry Fraud.

I fuck with Bronze.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2022, 12:51:52 PM »
bronze peaked w solo jazz
they peaked again with the circa vid reboot
also w the reuben when dick rizzo skated to lord tariq  and peter gunz
matter of fact bronze prob peaking rn again

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2022, 02:50:26 PM »
bronze peaked w solo jazz
they peaked again with the circa vid reboot
also w the reuben when dick rizzo skated to lord tariq  and peter gunz
matter of fact bronze prob peaking rn again
How many shrooms did they eat??!!!

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2022, 04:27:55 PM »
It's very simple:

Michael Jordan
Tom Brady
Derek Jeter
Dick Rizzo
Wayne Gretzy
Tiger Woods

I can't wait to say that to the news when they interview me on the street about some local event.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2022, 05:13:12 PM »
how u gonna dog rizzo like that tho

apport

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2022, 08:07:45 PM »
the trashy tumblr eboy aesthetic rly didn’t age well i find that stuff so cringe to watch now. the guy from salem is dating lana del ray rn & all the Lana fans r like ew he post pictures of a bloody mattress but they r right it’s not like he took the picture or even found it on a deep dive. tumblr is literally just reposting memes and stupid pics that some1 else reposted it’s not like you’re the goonie & found the bury treasure of one eyed willy santos basically everything on the internet is funny now
i don’t even know why but i always thought jack donoghue was gay until i found out he was dating lana

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2022, 08:17:47 PM »
Hey there fellow skater boyz you guys heard of this new Com Truise and Aphex Twin stuff? Vaporwave sadcore hahahaaaa damn sonny where’d ya find this! Just scanned these new shirt graphics off a math textbook I got my nephew to steal from his middle school

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2022, 02:49:59 AM »
Bronze56k (along with LurkNYC and GX1000) felt like some of the only things worthwhile going on in that early-mid 2010s for skating.

Love Bronze a ton. I think its great to have aesthetic, personality, etc. with your skateboarding. They're like the Alien Workshop of the 2010s/2020s.

I respect that they kind of brought a Vaporwave-adjacent vibe to skateboarding, but honestly just calling them Vaporwave is inaccurate, because they developed their own identity pretty quickly.

Vaporwave sort of covers 80s-Y2K commercialism, consumerism, technology, and corporate culture. A lot of poking fun at the utopian promises of the future corporations were making. Sort of like a parody of hyper corporate culture. Elevator/shopping muzak. All about consumerism and maybe add in some Windows 95/98 computer stuff and early internet... but all G-rated corporate approved technology.

Bronze56K more taps into like late 90s/early-mid 2000s deep cable TV (or DirectTV) and the dark parts of the internet... the type of shit you would experience after midnight around the turn of the century either on your TV or on your computer. Kind of like hearkening back to that wild west part of the internet before "social media" centralized everything and cleaned it up to a certain extent. Things like Napster and all the other weird ways you would consume media on the internet back then. The shit where you would click a link and have no idea what would be on the other side of it, but based on which friend sent it to you, you knew it would be something kind of fucked up.

They tap into a nostalgia for my media consumption of that era like no other art has for me. They "get" the essence of my internet experience. Usually when art is "nostalgic" (like a Boards of Canada album) they elicit some sort of pleasant or sad or bittersweet feelings of nostalgia. Bronze somehow elicits like a grimey, dangerous, loud version of nostalgia. Like there was something sort of "scary" about the internet back then, and Bronze somehow captures that. Everything was new, and you didn't know what was safe. Somehow they capture all of that in their edits. You never knew what and when something will pop-up on your screen. Its like they are putting internet pop-ups in their videos.

They also have some absurdist CGI stuff as well which is always neat and creative.

I love Bronze. I hope they return to their gimmicks and stuff with their next video. I was a bit let down with how Reuben stripped a lot of the personality out. I don't think its a style vs. substance thing. I think both can exist just fine.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2022, 03:41:20 AM »
I wonder if Bronze saw this.  Not totally the same but this predates Bronze and there are obvious similarities.

Really this is just an excuse to post Dan Plunkett absolutely killing it though.

I have no idea whats goin on in here but holy jesus what a sick part. 

FuzzGNU

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2022, 01:51:12 PM »
Expand Quote

CREDIT IS DUE TO Ryan Mcguigan and Green Apple FOR CREATING THE AESTHETIC STATEMENT OF OUR TIMES. A COUPLE OF DUDES FROM Canada BEATING THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY OVER THE HEAD. SHIT JUST HAS NOT BEEN THE SAME SINCE.

[close]

Bronze copied Green Apples whole flow don't act like it's groundbreaking

Oh wow, just watched some early 2010s Green Apple stuff and you're right. I had no idea. They even have like videos of drone strikes, people getting shot on camera, people getting hit by cars, police brutality, that type of shit you would find on LiveLeak:

Shout outs to Green Apple! Bronze definitely elevated it, but the blueprint is definitely right there. I feel bad that they don't get enough recognition for that.

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 128
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2022, 02:49:27 PM »
it’s not like you’re the goonie & found the bury treasure of one eyed willy santos

it's not?
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2022, 08:48:58 PM »
what makes bronze edits what they are and not just simple rip offs of early tumblr or green apple is that his edits live in the friction between the high and low energy of the song vs the skating. they manipulate skate nostalgia to great effect, the jokes are on point and the light critiques are lols.  also the skating is just really good. billy mcfeely's 56k part encapsulates the whole idea very well and josh wilson's part in trust is the pinnacle of this editing style. if it was just about throwing random clips between skate clips people wouldn't care that much.

StillTryin

• Rep: 41
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2022, 09:19:50 PM »
Bronze56k (along with LurkNYC and GX1000) felt like some of the only things worthwhile going on in that early-mid 2010s for skating.

Love Bronze a ton. I think its great to have aesthetic, personality, etc. with your skateboarding. They're like the Alien Workshop of the 2010s/2020s.

I respect that they kind of brought a Vaporwave-adjacent vibe to skateboarding, but honestly just calling them Vaporwave is inaccurate, because they developed their own identity pretty quickly.

Vaporwave sort of covers 80s-Y2K commercialism, consumerism, technology, and corporate culture. A lot of poking fun at the utopian promises of the future corporations were making. Sort of like a parody of hyper corporate culture. Elevator/shopping muzak. All about consumerism and maybe add in some Windows 95/98 computer stuff and early internet... but all G-rated corporate approved technology.

Bronze56K more taps into like late 90s/early-mid 2000s deep cable TV (or DirectTV) and the dark parts of the internet... the type of shit you would experience after midnight around the turn of the century either on your TV or on your computer. Kind of like hearkening back to that wild west part of the internet before "social media" centralized everything and cleaned it up to a certain extent. Things like Napster and all the other weird ways you would consume media on the internet back then. The shit where you would click a link and have no idea what would be on the other side of it, but based on which friend sent it to you, you knew it would be something kind of fucked up.

They tap into a nostalgia for my media consumption of that era like no other art has for me. They "get" the essence of my internet experience. Usually when art is "nostalgic" (like a Boards of Canada album) they elicit some sort of pleasant or sad or bittersweet feelings of nostalgia. Bronze somehow elicits like a grimey, dangerous, loud version of nostalgia. Like there was something sort of "scary" about the internet back then, and Bronze somehow captures that. Everything was new, and you didn't know what was safe. Somehow they capture all of that in their edits. You never knew what and when something will pop-up on your screen. Its like they are putting internet pop-ups in their videos.

They also have some absurdist CGI stuff as well which is always neat and creative.

I love Bronze. I hope they return to their gimmicks and stuff with their next video. I was a bit let down with how Reuben stripped a lot of the personality out. I don't think its a style vs. substance thing. I think both can exist just fine.
This is a great post all the way down to the BOD mention, thanks for writing it.

I fondly remember Newgrounds and YTMND and Something Awful and Ogrish and all that shit. Like I would've expected a reference to fufme in a bronze video somehow. I wasn't skating back then but I saw a few video and I thought well this is how you get late 20's people hyped on skating again in the sense that watching their videos was like opening a window to my personal mindset back when I skated obsessively. See some fucked up shit, get out with the guys and rawdog some barely skateable spot then go back to someone's house, smoke some weed and see some more fucked up shit on this newish online thing.

It's been posted that their influence was obvious and there would've been some ripping off going on because there was indeed a few other places where you would get this type of content/aesthetic but as far as skating goes, I feel like no other company or group packaged that vibe in a realer way. It made sense that skating would have this exact tangent going on in some corner and I had no idea how old the people doing it were, but IMO they got it and the skating was fucking sick.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2022, 01:29:23 AM »
This is a great post all the way down to the BOD mention, thanks for writing it.

I fondly remember Newgrounds and YTMND and Something Awful and Ogrish and all that shit. Like I would've expected a reference to fufme in a bronze video somehow. I wasn't skating back then but I saw a few video and I thought well this is how you get late 20's people hyped on skating again in the sense that watching their videos was like opening a window to my personal mindset back when I skated obsessively. See some fucked up shit, get out with the guys and rawdog some barely skateable spot then go back to someone's house, smoke some weed and see some more fucked up shit on this newish online thing.

It's been posted that their influence was obvious and there would've been some ripping off going on because there was indeed a few other places where you would get this type of content/aesthetic but as far as skating goes, I feel like no other company or group packaged that vibe in a realer way. It made sense that skating would have this exact tangent going on in some corner and I had no idea how old the people doing it were, but IMO they got it and the skating was fucking sick.

Thanks.

Yeah, Newgrounds was one of the sites that came to mind for sure.

I wonder if people a bit older and younger than us "get" what Bronze is tapping into, or if it's only something that really works for people whos informative years were using the internet during that era they are pulling from.

I'm sure it's still dope for younger generation. They seem to have an interest in "internet history" and "early internet aesthetic" for lack of a better term.

StillTryin

• Rep: 41
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2022, 08:24:53 AM »

Thanks.

Yeah, Newgrounds was one of the sites that came to mind for sure.

I wonder if people a bit older and younger than us "get" what Bronze is tapping into, or if it's only something that really works for people whos informative years were using the internet during that era they are pulling from.

I'm sure it's still dope for younger generation. They seem to have an interest in "internet history" and "early internet aesthetic" for lack of a better term.
Pretty sure they do. It was already a thing on social media when Bronze applied it to skating, but even more today with youtube channels like wavywebsurf and whang documenting that era.

I guess other eras will eventually get the distorted nostalgia treatment too, but I agree that social media cleaned it up quite a lot as far as centralizing mainstream web culture into just a few sites, so what you're left with is referencing things like 4chan & friends (slippery), old reddit, or going meta with the Internet Wayback Machine. There's probably a million more that I can't remember right now spanning let's say 2008-2015? Like I could see distorted autotune and tmblr filters being slapped on random 240p classic videos like that dude who fell asleep drunk in an idling car with his foot on the gas after some party and bouncing it off the rev limiter until it smokes and some guy wakes him up. Those years are probably overlapping with what Bronze was already on but you get the idea.

I'm actually curious as hell to see how that could pan out since I know most of these trends for having seen them in passing but can't remember most of them because I was on the sideline at that point and not like actively participating in them. Our generation who were downloading skate clips from mIRC and Limewire are in a position to relate to later eras because we get how this shit was spreading and I'd watch them.

smokemasterjp

• Rep: -25
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2022, 10:56:52 AM »
Bronze had a great run and I love Sidlauskas, but this shit is beyond stale now man

Just sell this shit to Walmart bro and start a core wheel company or something

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2022, 09:16:02 PM »
Bronze’s best references are in the mixtape fake radio commercials now.

The public access channel, early Windows/56k dialup, and Wolfenstein 3D references can only go so far.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29