Author Topic: SLAPURDAY NIGHT LIVE - The Sketch Comedy Writers Room  (Read 672 times)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
SLAPURDAY NIGHT LIVE - The Sketch Comedy Writers Room
« on: August 09, 2022, 11:07:07 PM »
This thread is dedicated to suggesting and developing bits for a late-night, skateboard-centric sketch comedy television show. I realize this thread could be super-great or turn into a gigantic shitshow. We will see.

THE RULES/GUIDELINES:

#1) Always at least try to be funny. Writers are encouraged to take chances and swing for the fences (so long as they abide by #4 below) and readers are encouraged to employ constructive criticism. Unnecessary bullying won't be tolerated. You will be kooked. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Unless someone is clearly just being a totally insincere idiot troll, then feel free to roast them.

#2) Every proposed sketch has to feature at least one aspect pertaining to skateboarding, be it a public figure from the skate industry, a skateboarding twist on an existing concept or simply characters skateboarding, at a skateboarding spot/contest/shop, etc. There are many ways to achieve this; sky's the limit.

#3) It doesn't matter if your idea is mainstream or irreverent. There's room for it all. Whether your sketch is intended to hit the zeitgeist and please the masses a la SNL, or be slightly abstract, much like "Kids In The Hall," it is welcome and can have a home here. I would stay away from referencing specific Slap users as that seems a little too self-reflexive/self-indulgent, though if you can weave an in-joke here on the MassageBoards into a sketch to reach a wider audience, more power to you (for example, I was going to suggest a satire of the "Terminator" trailer where it is the Jackass Preservation Server that becomes self-aware). I remember a guest on The Howard Stern talking about how one of J.B. Smoove's contributions to the SNL writer room was that Johnny Knoxville was going to host and J.B. Smoove was all, "That guy looks like he drinks piss." So he wrote a sketch about Knoxville as a detective who drinks urine.

#4) Utilize discretion and good taste. Although the show is intended to air late-night on pay television -- so no censorship anticipated -- please use common sense. No outwardly offensive jokes for the sake of edginess will be tolerated, including racist, anti-semitic, anti-islamic, anti-LGBTQ+ jokes (unless, of course, they are clearly intended to poke fun at the character saying them). As a rule of thumb, if the subject of the joke is in a protected class, be wary. If the consensus is you've broken this rule, you will be kooked and otherwise wish you didn't. No room for any Timothy Bellend shit here.

#5) Tackling current events is encouraged. Being able to spin some hot breaking news or wild trend into a groundbreaking comedic yarn is always a sign of a good writer. I'd just suggest that you should be sympathetic towards the plights and real life situations of public figures in the skate industry. For instance, setting a sketch in a courtroom where Stephen Lawyer represents defendants could of course be funny, but setting it in TK's upcoming murder trial would likely be insensitive and disrespectful to Josiah Kassahun and his family. Just be smart.

#6) Your sketches can take any shape or form. They can be a one sentance logline, a few sentances comprising a basic idea/concept, or even a fully-fleshed out sketch complete with dialogue. Two words could encapsulate the seeds for a really good sketch.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 11:25:20 PM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
Re: SLAPURDAY NIGHT LIVE - The Sketch Comedy Writers Room
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 11:26:47 PM »
Fuck I already love and hate this thread. Sometimes while I'm working or whatever I'll just be thinking of dumb sketches etc all day but now when it's go time my minds completely blank. This could be tuf tho it's hard enough to explain a comedy sketch to your friends in person let alone strangers just in text

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 08:44:05 AM »
A skate coach from Southern California is hired for a job in another country as a skate coach... AN ICE SKATE COACH! Now Trent is stranded in an unfamiliar culture and with a class of kids full of attitude but with big hearts. This summer tune in on the CW as Trent learns about the power of having a team behind you while still staying true to your RADICAL self in Skate-y Below Zero

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 09:52:27 AM »
Kenny Roger's Jackass from Mad TV, but with Bam Margera.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 10:22:36 AM »
On his quest to become a city council member, professional skateboarder-turned-entrepreneur Mikey Taylor wows the citizens of Thousand Oaks in a debate at City Hall by providing all attendees present with free, bottomless mugs of St. Archer before revealing his big plan to save the city with...a new monorail!

"The name's Taylor! Mikey Taylor! And I come before you good people tonight with an idea, probably the greatest-- (waves and walks towards the exit) Awww, it's not for you. (turns back around) It's more of a Simi Valley idea..."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 10:31:47 AM by EdLawndale »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 10:38:00 AM »
A skater named Clint Flick who's debut pro board designer chooses a terrible typeface, leading to unintentional hilarity.

Viktor Tsoi

• Rep: -32
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 11:05:21 AM »
Amazing thread concept but don’t be surprised if your words end up on HBOs hit series Betty or one of those adult cartoons that last one season on Netflix

cky enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 02:39:05 PM »

dudeee….

slappies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 03:59:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

dudeee….

I'll let you write on it.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

cky enthusiast

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 04:04:46 PM »
the world will quiver when i drop the treatment for kerry rogers jackass featuring bam margera, reverse engineering an exact simulacra of the original jackass franchise for paramount to build on for ages

slappies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 04:31:37 PM »
You keep this up and I can see a plaque that says "head writer" for you in the near future...
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 04:37:09 PM »
Like SNL’s TV funhouse, there should be a segment that’s animated skate cartoons.

For example, a recurring animated skit where pros are in food form, solving crimes.

Chard Muska, Elissa Vegetable Steamer, Mark Green Appleyard, and Bread Crumber all have to stop Dastardly Don Bostick from rigging yet another X-Games.

And this time…it’s personal.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 09:22:05 PM »
Character: This guy who skated a bit in the 90s ended up getting some work on action sports TV networks and was OK, but just OK; mediocre at best, claims to be better, but really has an internal battle going on about whether or not they like themselves as their authentic self.

One day,15 years after his relevance was a thing, he went online and clicked a link to an online action sports hub that would end up ruling his life. It happened quickly, he was soon Clicking that link, again and again and again. It became a sadomasochistic kink, as he kept visiting the link despite no one one at the action sports hub liked him. He was so disliked that he got banned from the community but got so whiney he had to be let back in lest his tears of entitled rage drown members of the hub. He surreptitiously attempted to get away but his mind was in the slammer, the proverbial clink! He couldn't resist the link of doom. It got so bad that he was pushed to the precipice! He was pushed to the edge! (Sign in for episode 2 next week, real time PST 1033PM. SLAPMAGAZINE.COM)
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 12:00:15 PM »
Scared Straight with the Snuggle Bandit.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 01:16:46 PM »
Scared Straight with the Snuggle Bandit.

That could be really funny.

A skate coach from Southern California is hired for a job in another country as a skate coach... AN ICE SKATE COACH! Now Trent is stranded in an unfamiliar culture and with a class of kids full of attitude but with big hearts. This summer tune in on the CW as Trent learns about the power of having a team behind you while still staying true to your RADICAL self in Skate-y Below Zero

Like "Ted Lasso" meets "Cool Runnings" as you take on the whole burgeoning Skate Coach phenomenon.  Good stuff.

Like SNL’s TV funhouse, there should be a segment that’s animated skate cartoons.

For example, a recurring animated skit where pros are in food form, solving crimes.

Chard Muska, Elissa Vegetable Steamer, Mark Green Appleyard, and Bread Crumber all have to stop Dastardly Don Bostick from rigging yet another X-Games.

And this time…it’s personal.

I like how you think outside the box, Madam, I'm Adam.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 01:24:50 PM by EdLawndale »

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 01:24:41 PM »
-On this week's episode of Epicly Later'd, Patrick O'Dell meets up with Pig Wood legend Anthony "Ragdoll" Scalamere to go over the highlights of his illustrious skateboarding career as they drive around downtown Phoenix, filling out job applications and dropping them of at establishments with "Help Wanted" signs in their windows.

Patrick and Ragdoll meander through the Men's section of TJ Maxx.
RAGDOLL: So what are we doing here again?
O'DELL: First thing we're gonna do is just start you of with a little shopping spree. Let's check out those white shirts next to the ties over there. What size neck are you?
RAGDOLL: Oh, I get it. You want me to put something crazy on! (ties necktie around forehead) Like this?! Cool! (stomps around, wagging tie like an elephant trunk) Whoooo!!!
O'DELL: (shrugs) Maybe just wear it normal.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 01:31:36 PM by EdLawndale »