Author Topic: Bones 99a vs 103a  (Read 1652 times)

Stuffedpuggle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Bones 99a vs 103a
« on: August 15, 2022, 08:50:15 PM »
Are the bones 99a wheels or easy streets any smoother than the regular 103a wheels?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Bones 99a vs 103a
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 11:15:57 AM »
imo if you are gonna go for STFs just go for as hard as possible, otherwise what are you even riding them for? if you want a wheel that grips well, dont get STFs.
ONTARIO CANADA

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 12:54:09 PM »
do yourself a favor and get F4s

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 01:33:59 PM »
stf 99a in a wide shape is really smooth and slides well.
a lot smoother than spitfire f4 99a, but the spits also slide way better.

stf 99a in a skinny wheel is terrible in every way. I regret getting them in the v3 shape.

Stuffedpuggle

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 08:35:38 PM »
What F4 is the closest to a regular bones stf?

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 08:46:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What F4 is the closest to a regular bones stf?

why would you want them to be close to an inferior wheel? they are superior. just get a shape you like.

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 08:55:23 PM »
F4 101a feels closest to STFs.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 06:35:10 AM »

some people really like STF though. they are icy slippery. you dont need any wax to do long slide tricks at skateparks or powerslides. i think there is a niche that they fill. I do think the slide on F4s 99a is good enough though that it makes more sense for your daily board where STFs can make some spots a lot harder. so i see why you would say that.
ONTARIO CANADA

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 11:33:54 AM »

I skate Bones STF 103a V3 (skinny) and there's nothing I've seen in the F4 line that is comparable.
I've tried STF 99s, I think they were a little more mellow on rough terrain but it wasn't shockingly different.
F4 fanboys stan harder than K-pop fans.   

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 01:19:26 PM »
I skated my 55mm 99a V5 on a ledge with angle iron for the first time today.
IT SUCKED so bad holy fuck. Usually happy with these wheels, but there was so much friction I actually stuck on fs 5-0s and had to use a lot of wax for it to work.
As a comparison, I also tried it with a friends 97a slime balls before waxing and had no problem at all with those.

Edit: Don't know why I specified fs 5-0s. The worst sticking was for any pinched grinds. Couldn't make it work without wax.
Something kinda positive: I like tail sides on these because I can fully lean into them and never slip out.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 01:33:55 PM by goodatmeth »

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 12:42:25 PM »
i do ledge lipslides alot and skate 99a f4 dont listen to the bonezos go with spitfires they slide just fine and are a quality wheel unlike bones which feel like k mart wheels.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 10:35:19 PM »
V5 STF 99a had some of the worst slide I've ever had on a wheel. No middle ground between sticking and icing out completely. Everything else about them was good, but the slide was so bad that I think people should avoid them at all costs.

If you like really hard wheels get STF 103a.

If you like medium-hard get F4 99a.

If you need softer than that get Powell Dragons.

I bet Bones X 95a will also be worthwhile when those come out soon and be a bit of a STF 99a killer. But for real, do not get STF 99a.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2022, 11:58:38 AM »
V5 STF 99a had some of the worst slide I've ever had on a wheel. No middle ground between sticking and icing out completely. Everything else about them was good, but the slide was so bad that I think people should avoid them at all costs.

I bet Bones X 95a will also be worthwhile when those come out soon and be a bit of a STF 99a killer. But for real, do not get STF 99a.

I agree. I used to be happy with these wheels but the longer I'm riding them, the worse it gets. Shortly skating some F4 in between didn't help. I'm officially over stf 99a.
I can't imagine the bones 95 to be less sticky, at least on stuff like angle iron, but I sure hope so. Anybody tried that already?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2022, 01:28:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree. I used to be happy with these wheels but the longer I'm riding them, the worse it gets. Shortly skating some F4 in between didn't help. I'm officially over stf 99a.
I can't imagine the bones 95 to be less sticky, at least on stuff like angle iron, but I sure hope so. Anybody tried that already?

The 93a are less sticky than STF 99a, so I assume the 95a will too.

The pre-production 95a I tried were weird because they had a core in them, so I'm basically discarding that whole experience... But they were fine. I'm excited to try the official release, but I'll probably stick to the 93a for how crusty my neighborhood is.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2022, 07:56:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The pre-production 95a I tried were weird because they had a core in them, so I'm basically discarding that whole experience... But they were fine. I'm excited to try the official release, but I'll probably stick to the 93a for how crusty my neighborhood is.

Been riding the 95a prototypes for close to 2 months and they slide fine on nose / tailslides, lipslides on ledges had a lot more stick. I did notice much worse wheelbite if I didn't land my tricks proper, the formula grips the deck way harder and I get pitched harder as a result. With F4s you can ride through the wheelbite.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FuzzGNU

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 12:27:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Been riding the 95a prototypes for close to 2 months and they slide fine on nose / tailslides, lipslides on ledges had a lot more stick. I did notice much worse wheelbite if I didn't land my tricks proper, the formula grips the deck way harder and I get pitched harder as a result. With F4s you can ride through the wheelbite.

I'm curious what trucks and bushings you've been rocking. I haven't had any issues with Ace nor Indy w/ Ace bushings. I of course have wheel bite marks, but I've never noticed when it's happened.

I haven't been skating anything high impact though, if you're talking about landing like a stair set in wheel bite.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 03:55:08 PM »
Even just flatground and ledge the difference in wheelbite is noticeable with these softer bones vs a harder spit. Stuff that I often would have probably not felt and ridden out, I'm more likely to get pitched. Everything else constant the formula really is different in that regard, it makes sense.

You can butter up your wheel wells with wax before skating every time but thats a pain in the ass. The new 97s are better, but still a little worse than 99 f4s I think... so far

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2022, 07:45:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm curious what trucks and bushings you've been rocking. I haven't had any issues with Ace nor Indy w/ Ace bushings. I of course have wheel bite marks, but I've never noticed when it's happened.

I haven't been skating anything high impact though, if you're talking about landing like a stair set in wheel bite.

Venture 5.8 V-Hollows on 54mm V1 95a prototype wheels, worn in stock bushings with standard washers. Not skated stairs or gaps, just regular park stuff.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m