Author Topic: Trucks holes shifted / off-center  (Read 506 times)

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
Trucks holes shifted / off-center
« on: September 16, 2022, 02:36:18 AM »
Just realized that the holes on the board for my back truck are drilled off-center by 0.1 inch to the left. Front truck holes are perfectly centered.
Now I can’t unsee the misalignment. I had warped decks, but never one with a misplaced hole pattern for the trucks. Guess it’s time for setting up a new one.

Ever happened to one of you?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 04:30:51 AM by yghartsyrt »

sweet pee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Trucks holes shifted / off-center
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 03:24:37 AM »
I have a pair of Indy Hollows with the Forged baseplates and the bolt holes and kingpin on one of them is pushed to the right a bit. This has happened to me a few times earlier with Thunder cast plates as well.

As long as you can get them on the deck with no problems, I don't think it really makes a difference though. Trucks take all types of abuse, so a minor issue like that shouldn't impact performance.

BTW, what trucks do you have?

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 03:54:42 AM »
damn thats crazy

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 04:06:07 AM »
I have a pair of Indy Hollows with the Forged baseplates and the bolt holes and kingpin on one of them is pushed to the right a bit. This has happened to me a few times earlier with Thunder cast plates as well.

As long as you can get them on the deck with no problems, I don't think it really makes a difference though. Trucks take all types of abuse, so a minor issue like that shouldn't impact performance.

I guess I could have said it a little more precise. It’s not the truck that is skewed, the mounting holes on the board are drilled off-center. Will change the original post accordingly

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 05:08:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I guess I could have said it a little more precise. It’s not the truck that is skewed, the mounting holes on the board are drilled off-center. Will change the original post accordingly

Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying.
I've had that happen with boards as well, specifically PS Stix decks.
The worst was a Habitat board (Al Davis debut football shape) where the back truck holes were drilled about a quarter of an inch to the side. I didn't notice it when setting it up, but during the first session it felt totally off and became very noticeable as one of the wheels was peeking out of the side. It was super hard to ignore, so I ended up kicking the board down to a homie who didn't mind it.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 05:35:01 AM »
Wow - quarter of an inch sounds crazy.
No way I would have skated that. I suck too much already to have the last bit of ability drained by a misconstructed skateboard.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 05:36:02 AM »
Quarter inch is probably enough to redrill it.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 04:52:06 PM »
Just realized that the holes on the board for my back truck are drilled off-center by 0.1 inch to the left. Front truck holes are perfectly centered.
Now I can’t unsee the misalignment. I had warped decks, but never one with a misplaced hole pattern for the trucks. Guess it’s time for setting up a new one.

That seems unusual. What kind of deck? At least for the last 30 years, most holes are drilled simultaneously on a jig.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 06:17:02 PM »
I got a post in the woodshop thread about this..

The company made it right so no problem. This was on a reissue. It happens.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 12:25:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That seems unusual. What kind of deck? At least for the last 30 years, most holes are drilled simultaneously on a jig.

It’s from the the Locals woodshop in Europe.

@cumonmygrip: wow that is crazy. The is totally tilted. Mine is only shifted to on side but still parallel to the other track