Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 130371 times)

FrenchSkater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1560 on: July 23, 2023, 07:23:08 AM »
Expand Quote
And .. the independents trucks are so authentic, they are simple, beautiful and effective. I don't pay attention to recent reviews because they are made in China.. many pros have stuck with them despite this (Example: The Boss)
[close]

People hate on Indy these days because they retired the iron cross. Ironically, the most vocal group is old people boycotting Stage IV reissues (even though the first cross wouldn't appear on baseplates for another 15 years after their initial release).

Also, I back new tech on Stage IVs. 10 inch wide reissues can get really heavy.

It's not dramatic either.. Things are changing haha

Do you know if the forged Hollows go well with a 14 WB board ?

FrenchSkater

« Reply #1561 on: July 25, 2023, 09:01:06 AM »
Back on independent today.. first session in a long time with the forged hollows.. I love the feel on the independents so much.. so supple and soft, the sound too.. Not a stiff feel and plastic sound like the Thunder.. The weight of these hollows is perfect!! I rode Venture for a long time, they remain in my heart but I feel better with independents.. With my 14 wb and 31.5 board, so easy to pop! Much more than with Venture high where the wheelbase is big .. too hard for my little legs haha

I want to reason with myself and stop my madness with trucks, staying on independent now .. after all, these trucks are simple, effective! Especially forged Hollows, perfect for everything..! Note that I skated them five years ago before it went into production in China and I don't see any difference now..

manysnakes

« Reply #1562 on: July 25, 2023, 09:05:20 AM »
The quality of Independent Trucks is that same or higher since moving overseas. It turns out that Chinese people are perfectly capable of operating heavy machinery.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1563 on: July 25, 2023, 09:30:11 AM »
The quality of Independent Trucks is that same or higher since moving overseas. It turns out that Chinese people are perfectly capable of operating heavy machinery.

Haha, yep, the "Made in China = junk no matter what" thing is goofy. Chinese manufacturers just make what they're paid to make, to the specs they're paid to make them to. Order a product made for absolute bottom dollar? No problem, here's your disposable junk! Order a high quality product made out of high quality materials and pay for it? No problem, here's your high quality product. Country of origin doesn't matter.

The three sets of Indy forged hollows I've gotten this year have had absolutely perfect fit and finish. Not that a skateboard truck is exactly a precision instrument.

Honestly, they just work so damn well I can't justify moving to anything else. Ace AF1's were nice enough but the hardware is garbage and my pop sucked with the longer tailed decks I prefer. They're squeaky MF'rs, but you don't notice it when skating anyway.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1564 on: July 25, 2023, 09:39:40 AM »
I weirdly had 3 of the best sessions of my recent life, then 1 great session, then 4 more increasingly trash sessions on forged Ti. It always seems to work like this and I never figure out why.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1565 on: July 25, 2023, 01:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, yep, the "Made in China = junk no matter what" thing is goofy. Chinese manufacturers just make what they're paid to make, to the specs they're paid to make them to. Order a product made for absolute bottom dollar? No problem, here's your disposable junk! Order a high quality product made out of high quality materials and pay for it? No problem, here's your high quality product. Country of origin doesn't matter.

The three sets of Indy forged hollows I've gotten this year have had absolutely perfect fit and finish. Not that a skateboard truck is exactly a precision instrument.

Honestly, they just work so damn well I can't justify moving to anything else. Ace AF1's were nice enough but the hardware is garbage and my pop sucked with the longer tailed decks I prefer. They're squeaky MF'rs, but you don't notice it when skating anyway.

I use some soap flakes. Don’t know their name in English. In the pívot cup. It works like a charm.

My setups are completely squeak free 😊
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

rikki

• Rep: 306
« Reply #1566 on: July 26, 2023, 12:14:41 AM »
Wax on the pivot part of the hanger also works great if you're into non-squeaking trucks.

DakotaRed

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1567 on: July 26, 2023, 06:52:52 AM »
Anyone set up a zip zinger on 109s? I've only ran 129s and was curious about others' preference. I really just love the way 109s look.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #1568 on: July 26, 2023, 07:09:41 AM »
Anyone set up a zip zinger on 109s? I've only ran 129s and was curious about others' preference. I really just love the way 109s look.

i have. inspired by brent atchley in a satori ad, yes those 109s look nice.
i didn’t really like the zip zinger, turn was fine/fun, hated the ollie.
one day i’ll learn to chill out, cruise, but when i get on a board i start spazzing and trying tricks, and for me, that setup wasn’t it.
trucks are really good tho, ace equivalent is probably dope too

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1569 on: July 26, 2023, 09:26:57 AM »
Not exactly a Zinger, but I have a Mini Beach Bum on Ace 00's (whatever the smallest are) and it is insane. Scary, but fun.

FrenchSkater

« Reply #1570 on: July 27, 2023, 01:51:41 PM »
Very annoying little defect for my new indy, but the bushings squeak despite i’m in medium Loose .. Do you have a small solution or tips or will it stop doing it naturally ?  ;D

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1571 on: July 27, 2023, 02:33:56 PM »
My recent indys bushings started cracking after like 2 weeks of riding them and that has never happened to me before. I then bought the stock indy replacement bushings and it happened again in a short time period. I was over it and bought some aces and must say their stock bushings are way better. Have been contemplating going back to indys but i keep thinking about how bad those bushings were for me. I rode indy for 20 yrs on stock orange bushings and never had them crumble so quickly. Maybe issues with their bushings quality all together

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1572 on: July 27, 2023, 02:56:12 PM »

I’ve got an old Cliche gonz zip zinger clone on 109s with kryptonics, and it’s a dream cruiser, even managed a couple chicken scratch grinds with it

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #1573 on: July 27, 2023, 08:01:41 PM »
My recent indys bushings started cracking after like 2 weeks of riding them and that has never happened to me before. I then bought the stock indy replacement bushings and it happened again in a short time period. I was over it and bought some aces and must say their stock bushings are way better. Have been contemplating going back to indys but i keep thinking about how bad those bushings were for me. I rode indy for 20 yrs on stock orange bushings and never had them crumble so quickly. Maybe issues with their bushings quality all together

It's different for everyone I guess. I ride Ace and love their medium bushings more than anything else out there. But I've had plenty of sets disintegrate pretty quickly and rip/crack. Some sets seeming a little more resilient. But those new Indy stock orange ones are actually pretty damn solid with great rebound and they always seemed way more resilient than Ace's. When it comes to AF1's, yeah those pivot cups last about 1-2 sessions for me. Indy stock cups are like indestructible. If you like Indy aside from the bushings you could always just put Ace's in 'em it works great.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1574 on: July 27, 2023, 08:34:28 PM »

by brent atchley in a satori ad

That clip is all time awesome, blacked out board multi colour wheels

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1575 on: July 27, 2023, 08:45:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's different for everyone I guess. I ride Ace and love their medium bushings more than anything else out there. But I've had plenty of sets disintegrate pretty quickly and rip/crack. Some sets seeming a little more resilient. But those new Indy stock orange ones are actually pretty damn solid with great rebound and they always seemed way more resilient than Ace's. When it comes to AF1's, yeah those pivot cups last about 1-2 sessions for me. Indy stock cups are like indestructible. If you like Indy aside from the bushings you could always just put Ace's in 'em it works great.

Yeah i could of just got a batch that had some bad ones in them on the indys...i have the ace classics so not sure if they are any different. But i also want to just go back to get the feel of indys again to see if i missed them. The new justin henrys are making me want a pair asap

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1576 on: July 28, 2023, 05:15:21 AM »
How are the forged indys compared to standards? Do they feel noticeably different in terms of pop?

manysnakes

« Reply #1577 on: July 28, 2023, 05:39:27 AM »

Ace bushings work great in Indys.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1578 on: July 28, 2023, 07:00:25 AM »
How are the forged indys compared to standards? Do they feel noticeably different in terms of pop?

Slightly faster/lighter feeling. It's noticeable and your timing will be a bit different

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #1579 on: July 28, 2023, 07:50:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Slightly faster/lighter feeling. It's noticeable and your timing will be a bit different

And the pop sound and vibration of the baseplate is also noticeably different.

standfast

• Rep: 19
« Reply #1580 on: July 28, 2023, 08:07:15 AM »
I don't notice the vibration aspect of it but i'm sure it's true for others. The height feels different (imo, better).

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1581 on: July 28, 2023, 08:33:03 AM »
Thanks for the answers, i'm soon retiring my current Thunders and im tempted to go back to Indy. Only skated the standards and hollow axle ones in the past so i'm curious how different the lighter lower Indy would be.

Would you go for Mindys or the forged hollows if you were coming from Thunders?

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1582 on: July 28, 2023, 09:25:57 AM »
Thanks for the answers, i'm soon retiring my current Thunders and im tempted to go back to Indy. Only skated the standards and hollow axle ones in the past so i'm curious how different the lighter lower Indy would be.

I'd go with the forged hollows. It think it's the safer bet in most circumstances.

If your Thunders were 148 or wider with a cast plate, then the height difference will only be 1.5mm. However, if you're coming off something super low like a 147 with a forged plate, the height increase (4.5mm) will be something that might feel strange, at least at first.

The Mindys are also a pretty heavy truck coming off Thunders. The forged hollows might give you a smoother transition there as well.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1583 on: July 28, 2023, 09:55:14 AM »

Neither, I'd go Standards honestly. I find the transition between those two way easier. Forged Hollows and especially Forged Ti feel too light to me the pop is too fast and the trucks feel weird on some decks. I absolutely hate them on shorter decks, but can ride them on something longer. People can talk about wheelbase and height and stuff and maybe on paper they end up close to Thunders in that regard, but the feeling isn't remotely the same.

FrenchSkater

« Reply #1584 on: July 28, 2023, 10:44:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Neither, I'd go Standards honestly. I find the transition between those two way easier. Forged Hollows and especially Forged Ti feel too light to me the pop is too fast and the trucks feel weird on some decks. I absolutely hate them on shorter decks, but can ride them on something longer. People can talk about wheelbase and height and stuff and maybe on paper they end up close to Thunders in that regard, but the feeling isn't remotely the same.

Honestly when you come from light trucks, Forged Hollows are not that light..! I find that it keeps a heavy pop compared to standard thunder or venture V lights/Hollows. I have a lot more control with these trucks, they are almost the same weight as the Venture Standard, and for me, it's the perfect weight! (At least for 139 like I skate). After trying a lot of trucks, I confirm that I prefer when it's a little heavier.. Example with the thunder 147, I injured my ankle because of a 360 flip that turned into 540 without that I expect..

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1585 on: July 28, 2023, 11:28:17 AM »
Forged Hollow 144 weigh ~340-345g and the Ti come in at 330g. A Thunder 148 standard is 357. So, they're definitely lighter than Thunders in weight and in pop feel. For me it logically works when the truck is like 51mm, but at 53.5 such a light truck feels strange. The pop angle is still pretty high, but once the board snaps it is lighter in the air. So it is a firmer snap due to the pop angle, but it doesn't really suck up the same.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #1586 on: July 28, 2023, 06:17:10 PM »
 I definitely had a different experience going from Thunder to Indy. My 144 forged hollows were 350g each brand new and the pop felt nice and hefty compared to the Thunders. I was coming off 147 Teams (cast baseplate, nothing hollow) and the pop feel on those felt so light, I felt like I couldn't get my board to catch up to me in the air.

I'm sure the 148s and up feel heftier with added weight and height though. I keep getting tempted to try em again in 148.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #1587 on: July 29, 2023, 07:10:47 AM »
Got some stage 4's (the 8.3ish ones) and skated them flat-ground for the first time recently. They definitely feel more surfy than stage 11's (especially with those soft 90a red bushings) with some additional differences between the two. I did minor measurements (I don't have the specific #'s anymore) and saw that they do bring in the wheel base a bit more than 11's, and the height seemed more like 53mm as opposed to 55mm. I had them paired with a g052 chocolate shape, which has a longer tail/nose, so skating them on this board kind of felt like I was skating low trucks since the geometry of the setup led to quicker pop. I didn't mind it. Though, I kind of lost my nollie flips since the nose is nearly 6.9" in, making the pop way too mellow for me. My wheels are prolly 50mm, so I think I would have to jump to 53 or 54mm to remedy this. Stage 4's come in at over 400g, but I honestly didn't really notice the heft all that much when trying flips tricks. It was pretty cool, though. They have a great look and I love how newer equipment like this can really inspire you to skate more.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #1588 on: July 29, 2023, 07:27:20 AM »

I haven't skated any regular indy for awhile, but I just skated the mindy's and I have skated thunders.  I skated the hollow forged and while they are heavy, the lower profile and the wheelbase made the set up feel pretty nice IMO.  Regular indys just feel too high for me, while the mindys are still heavy, it doesn't feel like a monster truck.

That said, full transparency, after the 144's I skated, I sized down to 5.2 ventures, so it seems like I still felt the set up was too much of a vert board.  I kinda think your just a thunder guy.....

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1589 on: July 29, 2023, 08:22:13 AM »
I have this theory regarding indy's. Because indy turns instead of going straight, with slight off center weight balance, you get way better pressure for spins. I can spin shuvits much flatter with indys because of this. Anyone else share this experience?