Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 124398 times)

Fifty8mm and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jaydd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1500 on: July 02, 2023, 06:57:51 PM »
I just bought a set of 169 stage 11 and man the one truck is not staying straight.  I mean it wants to point to 2 o’clock instead of 3.

Is this a bushing issue? I was thinking of loosening everything, resetting the bushings and just retightening them. I ride them “loose” for being a big guy. But man if I’m not standing on my board and push it, the board almost makes a hard right turn.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #1501 on: July 02, 2023, 08:39:27 PM »
I just bought a set of 169 stage 11 and man the one truck is not staying straight.  I mean it wants to point to 2 o’clock instead of 3.

Is this a bushing issue? I was thinking of loosening everything, resetting the bushings and just retightening them. I ride them “loose” for being a big guy. But man if I’m not standing on my board and push it, the board almost makes a hard right turn.

Bushings take a while to break in. Just leave them alone and you'll get better rebound after a some solid carving and turning.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1502 on: July 02, 2023, 10:25:03 PM »

Are the trucks square on the deck, deck bolt holes straight, deck not warped and just the hanger you can see is on an angle or something similar?

As said, brand new bushings might take a bit of time to wear in, usually just having a gentle roll around not pressing down on either side a whole lot to start with and getting things worn in more so than setting up a board and going hard on it right from go.

When you push down on one wheel, does the hanger bounce back to where it was / back to middle or does it stay to one side?

That is more the general bushing test, but if you have tightened them down or they are staying to one side, take everything apart and putting it back together with the kingpin nut flush is a good start.

Pics also help a whole lot to get a point across.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Jaydd

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1503 on: July 03, 2023, 07:11:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bushings take a while to break in. Just leave them alone and you'll get better rebound after a some solid carving and turning.

Yeah that was my thought. Just keep ridding them and see if they break in more.

Expand Quote

[close]

Are the trucks square on the deck, deck bolt holes straight, deck not warped and just the hanger you can see is on an angle or something similar?

As said, brand new bushings might take a bit of time to wear in, usually just having a gentle roll around not pressing down on either side a whole lot to start with and getting things worn in more so than setting up a board and going hard on it right from go.

When you push down on one wheel, does the hanger bounce back to where it was / back to middle or does it stay to one side?

That is more the general bushing test, but if you have tightened them down or they are staying to one side, take everything apart and putting it back together with the kingpin nut flush is a good start.

Pics also help a whole lot to get a point across.

The base plate seems square. I went on vacation so I don’t have the board with me to take a pic. But when I get back I will. It seemed like they kindpin wasn’t centered on the hanger when I was looking at it.

Like I said above I’ll ride them for a few more sessions and just try to break them in. Definitely not doing anything crazy anymore so it is slappys and board and nose slide and manuals.

Thanks for the tips

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1504 on: July 03, 2023, 10:55:34 PM »
I’ve had a little search around but can’t find anything, does anyone have the effective wheelbase on the Stage 4’s in comparison to Stage 11 Standards or Ace Classic/AF1? Wondering whether these will suit what I’m after.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1505 on: July 04, 2023, 12:17:19 AM »
I’ve had a little search around but can’t find anything, does anyone have the effective wheelbase on the Stage 4’s in comparison to Stage 11 Standards or Ace Classic/AF1? Wondering whether these will suit what I’m after.

Did you have 215s at all?

I recall someone having some and they said they were the same everything, only shorter hangers.

I could get the set out I have but they feel like they are the same as the other Stage 11 in that regard, just with taller bushings, but if they are different, it is very little.

When I had a chat to the guy behind the counter at a shop that had them recently we compared them to other Stage 11 and I think he said they were the same in every way, when he had them both up against something - that is to say the height, the point of axle (wheelbase) and the other measurable factors.

Anyone else who has them or has compared them could give a better assessment though.

*  Here in AU quite a few shops have them now, including OCD, Fasttimes (where I saw them) and a number of other independent shops as well.  No pun intended.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #1506 on: July 04, 2023, 08:13:21 AM »

There's some info on here somewhere from when they first hit.

Edit* I believe they shrink the WB about 1/8" more than AF1s.... so close to the classics...

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1507 on: July 04, 2023, 02:32:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's some info on here somewhere from when they first hit.

Edit* I believe they shrink the WB about 1/8" more than AF1s.... so close to the classics...
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0
I had been going by this thread at one point but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while. For eg. it was news to me that AF1s measure differently than Classics
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1508 on: July 04, 2023, 11:21:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did you have 215s at all?

I recall someone having some and they said they were the same everything, only shorter hangers.

I could get the set out I have but they feel like they are the same as the other Stage 11 in that regard, just with taller bushings, but if they are different, it is very little.

When I had a chat to the guy behind the counter at a shop that had them recently we compared them to other Stage 11 and I think he said they were the same in every way, when he had them both up against something - that is to say the height, the point of axle (wheelbase) and the other measurable factors.

Anyone else who has them or has compared them could give a better assessment though.

*  Here in AU quite a few shops have them now, including OCD, Fasttimes (where I saw them) and a number of other independent shops as well.  No pun intended.

I do have 215s, but the updated ones that are marketed as Stage 11. I don’t know whether that means they share the same wb as stage 11s though, but I think I’m actually using the baseplates from them on my 159s and never noticed a difference from my old plates.

From the looks of it the Stage 4s will be closer to Ace Classics. Might just have to buy and measure myself.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1509 on: July 05, 2023, 09:31:55 AM »
I put Af1s and Indy stage 4 on the same deck and the wheel bite marks are further to the middle with the Stage 4s. Tighter wheelbase and tighter turn.

stupidfuckface

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1510 on: July 06, 2023, 04:22:16 AM »
Ok guys, so I have an urge to Frankenstein some indies, let me know what y’all think,
 I have some stage 4s, I want to swap the six hole baseplate, with a forged hollow baseplate.  Sounds good yes, but I am concerned I’m going to fuck the geometry.
Thoughts?

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1511 on: July 06, 2023, 05:17:52 AM »
Ok guys, so I have an urge to Frankenstein some indies, let me know what y’all think,
 I have some stage 4s, I want to swap the six hole baseplate, with a forged hollow baseplate.  Sounds good yes, but I am concerned I’m going to fuck the geometry.
Thoughts?
that 6 hole baseplate does look really bad

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1512 on: July 06, 2023, 07:59:09 AM »
Thoughts?

You will indeed mess with the geo. Maybe it will feel good to you. I'm sure it could work but you won't have the same turn.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1513 on: July 07, 2023, 08:28:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Thoughts?
[close]

You will indeed mess with the geo. Maybe it will feel good to you. I'm sure it could work but you won't have the same turn.

I think the height of the bottom bushing is key there, so if you kept the bottom bushing in, or even put Stage 11 hangers on they will turn more like the Stage 4 reissues.

Tried it with this example, but as per the pic, the Stage 4 baseplate has a taller kingpin, so even if you had a taller bottom bushing, like the red one compared to the orange one, you can still have the same geometry.  Just cut down the top bushing if it doesn't fit to your liking on any other shorter kingpin, or to give more clearance anyway.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1514 on: July 07, 2023, 09:50:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Thoughts?
[close]

nah

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1515 on: July 08, 2023, 12:42:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Thoughts?
[close]

If you get bigger stage 11s they all come with the 6-holer.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1516 on: July 08, 2023, 05:28:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thoughts?
[close]
[close]

Forged are four hole all the way to 169, though I can't say I've ever even noticed until this thread...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1517 on: July 08, 2023, 04:12:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thoughts?
[close]
[close]

[close]

Forged are four hole all the way to 169, though I can't say I've ever even noticed until this thread...

Yeah I didn't really pay that much attention to the 4 / 6 hole options either, but the easiest way to remember is this for the current Stage 11 trucks:

Forged baseplates are only ever 4 holes, cast can be 4 or 6 depending on the size.

4 hole - 129, 139, 149

6 hole - 109, 159, 169, 215

Earlier trucks all had six hole baseplates from 1993, so Stage 7 and 8 Indy, only 4 hole on Stage 9 and 10, then back to a mix for Stage 11.

Stage 4 reissues are all 6 holes.

Might be a bit of useless info / too much info, but I find it interesting that they did this, mainly to cater to the old baseplate options for the older / vintage boards that people run in the small size (109) or the bigger sizes (159 and up) from what I heard.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1518 on: July 10, 2023, 11:27:53 PM »
What’s the general consensus of upgrading the bushings/ pivot cups on stage 11 hollows? Riptide all the way?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1519 on: July 10, 2023, 11:35:19 PM »
I’m up to my fourth(?) iteration of Bones Bushings and riptide cups and I can’t complain

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1520 on: July 11, 2023, 12:31:40 AM »
What’s the general consensus of upgrading the bushings/ pivot cups on stage 11 hollows? Riptide all the way?

I put Riptide pivots in and kept the stock bushings. Works well.
How much for an order of ribs?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1521 on: July 11, 2023, 01:08:04 AM »

I don’t understand what advantage soft polyurethane offers over harder injection molded plastics. I put in Riptides a few years ago and I felt like my trucks skated worse. I say run ‘em stock.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1522 on: July 11, 2023, 06:16:06 AM »
I 100% agree I thought Riptides made the turn mushier/less snap back and they have completely exploded on a few friends that had them.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #1523 on: July 11, 2023, 08:15:02 AM »

Depends on what you’re going for and how much you weigh. For reference, I’m 180 lbs. here’s my impressions on the on the ones I’ve tried:

Ace low bushings:
More stable than the stock bushings while also providing a better turn. Compared to my AF1s, I have to put more weight into the Indys to get the same turn, where I can be more relaxed and light on my feet with the AF1s. Overall, very well balanced.

Independent 92a blue conical bushings:
Less stable on center than stock bushings, but the turn is amazing. You get really nice deep and responsive turns with a good snap back to center. They turn even better than my AF1s with less effort.  They are slightly taller than stock, so I run them without a bottom washer to keep the stock geometry. No bottom washer also contributes to the deeper turn. I’m not great at powerslides, but I’ve always found them easier and better on this setup. These are my favorite bushings I’ve tried in Indys.

Independent 90a orange conical bushings:
Similar experience to the 92a blue conicals, but less stable all around. They didn’t snap back to center like the blues and wheelbite is more of a threat. If you weigh less than me, you will probably have the amazing experience that I have with the blues.

Bones medium bushings:
It’s been a while since I’ve used them, but I remember them being stable while greatly improving the turn. They’re expensive and most people blow them out within a month. The last set I had lasted a few months before I noticed any significant wear.

Riptide pivot cups:
The main thing I didn’t like about them was that they have a dampening effect that makes your board feel waterlogged. I think they also reduce stability more than they improve the turn. I’d only recommend them if you’re one of those people that likes your trucks super loose. They’re also expensive and I blew mine out after about two months. My stock pivot cups lasted about a year.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1524 on: July 11, 2023, 04:25:30 PM »
I’m glad I’m not the only one with less than stellar experience with the riptide pivot cups. A lot of people speak highly of them but I was disappointed as soon as I put them in. They felt mushy and made the turn worse IMO. The “center” part of stable on center seemed way smaller with them installed (I hope that made sense).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1525 on: July 11, 2023, 05:33:49 PM »

I have never had Riptide anything, although I did see them once or twice a while back and have looked at them online, but no shops around here carry them and I haven't found the need to get something for $20 that I can get for $1 and still do a great job - reference to the DLX or generic pivot cups many shops have, no packaging, simple black material, hold up well for what they are, etc.

Not doubting the feel of something like Riptide products, so for those who have got them and love them, that's great for you.

People have definitely noticed that the newer Indy trucks of any version seem to have harder pivot cups that almost make the sound of broken through pivot cups, that metal on metal sound, that I have noticed on some newer Indy trucks I have too, so although it is not the end of the world, I am aware of it and changing out the pivot cups definitely helps there.

The newer Indy bushings seem to work a whole lot better, feeling way softer, but of course if that is not to your liking, then changing them out for something else is always going to be better, eg slightly more firm 92 duro, which still turn and are comfortable to skate for me, but I have left a few boards set up with the stock everything just to see how they go.  It is winter here right now, so they do feel pretty good for what I am skating anyway, a bit colder so bushings are going to feel a bit firmer and I am not skating half as much as in the summer months too.

Just to see, I would set them up stock first and feel them out, because they do feel a bit different to the older versions of the same trucks, maybe better to some, maybe not as good to others.  As to modifications to the parts, I guess it comes down to how much they vary from your other trucks, Film or Ace you have on those boards?

Indy felt so good overall to me, but after a few sessions on Ace trucks, I almost felt like my usual Indy trucks were a bit sluggish on the turns, which was surprising, but I am used to both now.  For some people, going to Indy from Ace is like a step down in the turn, but there are other things that make them work well overall, more so just how they power through everything else, but that is all personal preference.

I should have asked first before everything else, did you get a new set or are you setting up some older ones?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1526 on: July 11, 2023, 09:20:06 PM »
I'm using 92 barrels and they're great. They firmed up after a couple sessions and reduce wheelbite but don't really hurt the Indy turn. In lots of trucks harder bushings aren't much fun to ride but these are.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1527 on: July 12, 2023, 01:16:42 AM »

Only skated Indy for the last 12 years and tried different Indy duro, Bones medium hard, and one pair of Doh-dohs

On my Stage 11s (hollows and non hollows) I've enjoyed aftermarket orange conical and barrel. I prefer conical more, as it gives me an optimal turn the barrel doesn't, while also giving me reliable snap back to center. Red and white were too soft for me. Red was inconsistent with being its turn/snapback. White was better for a cruiser.
Bones are nice, definitely don't like them more than Indy on Indy trucks. When I was younger Bones always felt like the truth, but I don't think they're as good as we all cracked them up to be growing up. Doh dohs were weird. Would never ride them again.

Never tried riptide, so no comment

Aftermarket pivot cups from XYZ brands are significantly better than the "China" Stage 11 pivot cups. I had pivot cups blow out within 2 weeks on one set :/ Don't recall if I tried Indy aftermarket pivot cups, Thunder pivot cups, or some other brand from a skateshop I got them (for free) from.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #1528 on: July 12, 2023, 04:28:24 AM »
I'm using 92 barrels and they're great. They firmed up after a couple sessions and reduce wheelbite but don't really hurt the Indy turn. In lots of trucks harder bushings aren't much fun to ride but these are.
You riding Indy's right now?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1529 on: July 12, 2023, 06:10:12 AM »
Yes. I have ridden standards a bit this Spring. On my current deck I setup cast plates then decided to try forged plates on it spur of the moment and it's been a great setup. Using harder bushings cured most problems I had with Indy's.