Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 136131 times)

Crabby_Bastard and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #2220 on: May 22, 2024, 08:03:50 AM »
Anybody else noticed loose pivot cups on Indy's lately? I bought a set of 144 Standards a while back and after mounting them noticed a lot of slop in the pivot cups. And the hanger just kind of flops around even with brand new stock bushings with the nut flush on the kingpin. I measured the kingpin and it's the same length as on all my other good plates, so I think it's an issue with the hangers. Almost like they weren't cast correctly and are way out of spec or something. I went to a local shop yesterday and went through probably a dozen sets of Indy 144 Standards before I found a set that didn't have any noticeable slop in the pivot cups. Decided to grab those and planning to warranty the bad set that I got. Anyway, just wanted to share and see if anyone else has experienced this. It really bums me out to even have to think about this when buying a new set of Indy's  :(

Yes the hanger nub, the bit of the hanger that goes into the pivot cup, is noticeably thinner / smaller on newer trucks, compared to other older trucks.

I have also noticed that some of the new pivot cups seem to be thinner or sit deeper in the baseplate than older ones, so I have switched out pivot cups to thicker ones, which overall has worked quite well, but also as the bushings compress and the hanger settles, the looseness in the pivot point does go from being annoying to manageable, at least in some other sets.

People have said the ti axle are especially loose but I think it is all of them, pretty much the same, just sitting out a bit more from the pivot cup, or at least without bushings, they sit fine and right in, but with bushings, they sit out a bit more, which then causes that side to side movement if they are not snug down in there.

Comparing pivot points on the new hangers they are like the end of a pinky finger, compared to the older ones which are more like an index finger in width, just as a basic measurement, so not a great lot, but enough to see fairly clearly when I hold them up side by side.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

smg1138

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #2221 on: May 22, 2024, 09:52:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody else noticed loose pivot cups on Indy's lately? I bought a set of 144 Standards a while back and after mounting them noticed a lot of slop in the pivot cups. And the hanger just kind of flops around even with brand new stock bushings with the nut flush on the kingpin. I measured the kingpin and it's the same length as on all my other good plates, so I think it's an issue with the hangers. Almost like they weren't cast correctly and are way out of spec or something. I went to a local shop yesterday and went through probably a dozen sets of Indy 144 Standards before I found a set that didn't have any noticeable slop in the pivot cups. Decided to grab those and planning to warranty the bad set that I got. Anyway, just wanted to share and see if anyone else has experienced this. It really bums me out to even have to think about this when buying a new set of Indy's  :(
[close]

Yes the hanger nub, the bit of the hanger that goes into the pivot cup, is noticeably thinner / smaller on newer trucks, compared to other older trucks.

I have also noticed that some of the new pivot cups seem to be thinner or sit deeper in the baseplate than older ones, so I have switched out pivot cups to thicker ones, which overall has worked quite well, but also as the bushings compress and the hanger settles, the looseness in the pivot point does go from being annoying to manageable, at least in some other sets.

People have said the ti axle are especially loose but I think it is all of them, pretty much the same, just sitting out a bit more from the pivot cup, or at least without bushings, they sit fine and right in, but with bushings, they sit out a bit more, which then causes that side to side movement if they are not snug down in there.

Comparing pivot points on the new hangers they are like the end of a pinky finger, compared to the older ones which are more like an index finger in width, just as a basic measurement, so not a great lot, but enough to see fairly clearly when I hold them up side by side.

I was thinking it probably had to do something with the hanger nub being smaller. I'm going to take some calipers and see what the actual difference is between the older and newer hangers. A little play in the pivot cup is fine, but some of the QC I've been seeing lately has been pretty bad.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2222 on: May 22, 2024, 10:39:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did they do an Indy mid with a regular kingpin? If they put all that money into molds and people's main issue is the inverted kingpin might be worth putting some out with normal kingpins and see how it goes.
[close]

I would be down with some forged mids with a regular kingpin

Is that combo possible with mix matching or would it sit higher than a mid?

Forged baseplate from indy hollow etc + Mindy hanger?   

I have not done much frankentrucking ?? B4 so I dunno
[close]

I’ve tried to assemble this exact combo, it’s just about off as far as fit is concerned. when I put an Indy mid hanger into normal Indy forged plates, you can see the hanger digs into the pivot cup area of the baseplate. literally bought a set of Indy mids just to try that. 😂

Expand Quote
Did they do an Indy mid with a regular kingpin? If they put all that money into molds and people's main issue is the inverted kingpin might be worth putting some out with normal kingpins and see how it goes.
[close]

I would be down with some forged mids with a regular kingpin

Is that combo possible with mix matching or would it sit higher than a mid?

Forged baseplate from indy hollow etc + Mindy hanger?   

I have not done much frankentrucking ?? B4 so I dunno

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106832.msg3847524;topicseen#msg3847524

jimgrude

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2223 on: May 22, 2024, 07:17:27 PM »

This has been an issue since they moved production to China. I had to give up on Indy after 16 years because of this. After trying a couple different sets, and going through a dozen cups, it wasn't worth it anymore.

Also, it's called a "pivot", people. Hence the cup it sits in being the "pivot cup".
"hanger nub" was pretty funny tho.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 569
« Reply #2224 on: May 22, 2024, 07:23:41 PM »
I had one when they first switched to over seas. The pivot cup was a little loose but didn’t really affect how they rode.

logjammin

• Rep: 365
« Reply #2225 on: May 22, 2024, 09:10:50 PM »
My theory is not the pivot point of the hanger, but the pivot cavity of the baseplates. Take everything apart then use the tip of your finger and look closely, lotta pivot cup movement. I've had sets where you turn the baseplate upside down and the cup falls right out. They definitely have a QC issue. My China 215's are a lucky set and it's not as bad as other ones I've had. But I will say, the redeeming quality is how indestructible the pivot cups are. They're super hard compared to any stock pivot cups on the market.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 69
« Reply #2226 on: May 22, 2024, 11:13:21 PM »
I always called it "pivot stem" 🤷‍♀️

Anyways that was one of the reasons I stopped skating Indys after 15+ years off and on em

Also noticed it was worse on the ti ones

My pivot stem even had a sharp spot on it that would cut through and destroy the pivot cup. And the hanger could wiggle back and forth in the cup there was so much room. Switched cups to riptides, aftermarket Indy cups, repeatedly blew them out. Never liked the forged plates.

In 2005ish I cracked a stage 7 hanger in half right down the middle. I think they were 8.25ish or 8.5ish axles 🤷‍♀️

I skate af1s now and I guess they're basically just a different kind of Indy, based on the history of the design?

I really wanna try some stage fours but I don't wanna get used to something else, I got aces on all my shit now

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2227 on: May 23, 2024, 04:10:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This has been an issue since they moved production to China. I had to give up on Indy after 16 years because of this. After trying a couple different sets, and going through a dozen cups, it wasn't worth it anymore.

Also, it's called a "pivot", people. Hence the cup it sits in being the "pivot cup".

Ha yeah, I think someone from a skate distro called it the hanger nub when trying to explain what part was broken, so that was the easiest way to explain it, eg the hanger nub sits in the pivot cup in the baseplate.

Nub meaning:
A nub is a little piece of something, especially one that sticks out.

Not a worry either way, but there are some thicker, more solid pivot cups out there that make it a little more comfortable fitting and don't sound like a busted pivot cup the way the thin and hard stock ones do at times, or when worn in, as per a few that people have asked about on their own boards.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 155
« Reply #2228 on: May 23, 2024, 06:40:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ha yeah, I think someone from a skate distro called it the hanger nub when trying to explain what part was broken, so that was the easiest way to explain it, eg the hanger nub sits in the pivot cup in the baseplate.

Nub meaning:

Not a worry either way, but there are some thicker, more solid pivot cups out there that make it a little more comfortable fitting and don't sound like a busted pivot cup the way the thin and hard stock ones do at times, or when worn in, as per a few that people have asked about on their own boards.

Which pivot cups do you recommend? My 144s are loose like this, my 129s are perfect (minus the squeak).

I finally gave indy a serious try again and theyve been great but my 144s, especially on crusty spots are unpredictable. I could feel the board trying to throw me off since its rattling bad, especially going faster. My 129s don't do that.

smg1138

« Reply #2229 on: May 23, 2024, 12:37:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn that's a bummer. I've been skating Indy's so long it always feels super weird when I try any other truck. Been looking at Ace or Slappy as possible alternatives lately though. When Indy moved production to China everyone predicted this would happen and unfortunately we were right :-\

smg1138

« Reply #2230 on: May 23, 2024, 12:42:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nub meaning:

[close]

Which pivot cups do you recommend? My 144s are loose like this, my 129s are perfect (minus the squeak).

I finally gave indy a serious try again and theyve been great but my 144s, especially on crusty spots are unpredictable. I could feel the board trying to throw me off since its rattling bad, especially going faster. My 129s don't do that.

It's crazy but all the bad ones I've been seeing lately have been 144's too. I have a fairly recent set of 139 and 149 Standards that are absolutely perfect. That's why I was surprised to see my new 144's had this issue. I just ordered some Riptide pivot cups to see if those help and will report back on my findings after trying them out.

Fifty8mm

« Reply #2231 on: May 23, 2024, 12:59:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nub meaning:

[close]

[close]

It's crazy but all the bad ones I've been seeing lately have been 144's too. I have a fairly recent set of 139 and 149 Standards that are absolutely perfect. That's why I was surprised to see my new 144's had this issue. I just ordered some Riptide pivot cups to see if those help and will report back on my findings after trying them out.
I heard af1 pivot. Cups work.
Something about green or blue pivot cups annoy me. Bit if they work I'd give them a shot.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2232 on: May 23, 2024, 01:56:54 PM »
I’ve experienced this with the 144 only and used af1 pivot cups without issue. IMO a better option than the stock Indy cups even without the pivot problems.

swongolianbbq

« Reply #2233 on: May 23, 2024, 03:33:57 PM »
Now that you mention it I don't remember having that problem on 149s, 159s or 169s, just the 144s

jimgrude

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2234 on: May 23, 2024, 04:19:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nub meaning:

[close]

[close]

Riptide are the best cups you can get, but I still went through two sets in no time when I had this specific issue with my 144s.

Fifty8mm

« Reply #2235 on: May 23, 2024, 05:09:44 PM »
I always tell my homies  I don't trust 8.25 trucks. Something about them being created so long after all other sizes, trips me out.

Just me over thinking shit. ::) no valid point or anything.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2236 on: May 23, 2024, 05:46:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn that's a bummer. I've been skating Indy's so long it always feels super weird when I try any other truck. Been looking at Ace or Slappy as possible alternatives lately though. When Indy moved production to China everyone predicted this would happen and unfortunately we were right :-\

Nah only xenophobes said blanket shit about "quality going downhill" but ignored that USA made Indy's already had years of axle slips, pivot cup, and hanger cracking issues. I had them before and after and have had Aces as well as many friends and Slap users have and Ace (yes I know also made in China) have just as many if not a higher frequency of issues. My USA Indy's always had loose pivot cups or hanger nubs that essentially way too small for the cup and thus moved around. Going to China didn't change this and that's one reason I tried Ace again it seemed like Indy were never going to fix this. I had Riptides and they were fine and I think Krux were a close fit. I never had an issue with the replacement Indy cups although they never fit as tight as other brands.

But then my AF1 had the early round of exploding pivot cups, disintegrating bushings, clicking, etc.

No truck seems free of issues. I don't head into the Slappy thread because I've got no interest in them as a truck right now but those probably do too to some degree. Thunder baseplate sliding/top bushing crumbling/wheelbite; Venturr grind/lack of turn/bushing crumbles- I'm sure all the smaller brands have similar shit.

Fifty8mm

« Reply #2237 on: May 23, 2024, 05:56:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nah only xenophobes said blanket shit about "quality going downhill" but ignored that USA made Indy's already had years of axle slips, pivot cup, and hanger cracking issues. I had them before and after and have had Aces as well as many friends and Slap users have and Ace (yes I know also made in China) have just as many if not a higher frequency of issues. My USA Indy's always had loose pivot cups or hanger nubs that essentially way too small for the cup and thus moved around. Going to China didn't change this and that's one reason I tried Ace again it seemed like Indy were never going to fix this. I had Riptides and they were fine and I think Krux were a close fit. I never had an issue with the replacement Indy cups although they never fit as tight as other brands.

But then my AF1 had the early round of exploding pivot cups, disintegrating bushings, clicking, etc.

No truck seems free of issues. I don't head into the Slappy thread because I've got no interest in them as a truck right now but those probably do too to some degree. Thunder baseplate sliding/top bushing crumbling/wheelbite; Venturr grind/lack of turn/bushing crumbles- I'm sure all the smaller brands have similar shit.

Made in china doesn't mean worst quality. It does mean that if they choose the cheapest factory over there it's going to be shit. No experienced qc or whatever. NHS should've chose the best quality chinese factory and it still would've been cheaper than emirco. They're quality would've actually improved. But im sure they went to a low tier factory to save the most they could

I love made in china dwindle decks. Their concave might not be everyones cup of tea but they make the most durable and snappy decks around. And every single palace 7.75 I've skated have been the same shape and concave. I bought one differents seasons years apart.  DSM is good.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2238 on: May 23, 2024, 06:23:24 PM »
I call complete bullshit on you knowing anything about the quality of their factory and overall quality of their product post switch. Most people I know ride Indy's and have had zero problems with the newer ones and if anything their bushings are better than they used to be.

DinnerDog425

• Rep: 24
« Reply #2239 on: May 23, 2024, 06:41:42 PM »
You will have the same problem with riptide cups. I tried my riptide cups in a set of Ti Indy’s that have this issue and it was actually worse.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2240 on: May 23, 2024, 08:04:20 PM »
I've experienced stock Indy cups getting loose over time. Riptides get a little loose over time but not as much.

Still love the trucks though.

Fifty8mm

« Reply #2241 on: May 23, 2024, 08:15:47 PM »
I call complete bullshit on you knowing anything about the quality of their factory and overall quality of their product post switch. Most people I know ride Indy's and have had zero problems with the newer ones and if anything their bushings are better than they used to be.
Edited.
Ain't going to argue with you. ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 08:38:15 PM by Fifty8mm »

DERBY

• Rep: 308
« Reply #2242 on: May 23, 2024, 10:34:42 PM »
only issues with indy regarding pivot cups were that they tore up pretty fast.

on the topic of indy pivot cups. i like how easily it is to replace them. parts are accessible and the pivot cup itself is easily removable. ive had headaches removing the ones on lurpivs and af1s. the lurpiv ones are the absolute worst

rikki

• Rep: 334
« Reply #2243 on: May 23, 2024, 11:45:46 PM »
Made a switch from Indy to Ventures some time ago, and I've been extremely happy with zero issues with regards to truck quality.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2244 on: May 24, 2024, 04:42:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nub meaning:

[close]

Re different pivot cups, I have so many from different places I can't recall which ones I find work the best, but they are thicker in the sidewall, so compared to some others, stock Venture, Thunder and now the newer stock Indy pivot cups, these ones sit a little taller and are thicker.

I have bought any number of pivot cups from here there and everywhere, including from @rocklobster so they could actually be the ones, which he sourced, but I also have the Indy box of them, the single loose DLX pivot cups, single loose Modus, a bag of Mini Logo, then assorted others including cheap ebay and other brands I can't recall right now.

I don't think I have ever seen Riptide in person, or the Ace AF1 pivot cups, but I have some pre packaged basic Ace ones, so I guess they are worth a try too, especially if they are thicker.

As to quality control and other issues, I think it is more just how they make them, as in the newer ones are just made with thinner pivot points on the hanger, so with the thicker pivot cups, they seem to fit fairly well so I don't have issues replacing them if or when needed.

I have found more slipping axles on regular / standard trucks of late, but I know that was definitely a thing a while back, just hadn't seen it for a decade or so.

The only other thing to try, if you have more than one set, is just check the mix and match between different hangers and baseplates, especially if they are of different ages, eg the older ones pre 2020 usually fit more snugly in the pivot point, newer ones not as snug, maybe even more so the ones with the truck size on them being the newer ones, so when they changed the molds, this could have also been something that happened at that time, around 2018 - regardless of where they were made too.

Fifty8mm

« Reply #2245 on: May 24, 2024, 07:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nub meaning:

[close]

[close]

Re different pivot cups, I have so many from different places I can't recall which ones I find work the best, but they are thicker in the sidewall, so compared to some others, stock Venture, Thunder and now the newer stock Indy pivot cups, these ones sit a little taller and are thicker.

I have bought any number of pivot cups from here there and everywhere, including from @rocklobster so they could actually be the ones, which he sourced, but I also have the Indy box of them, the single loose DLX pivot cups, single loose Modus, a bag of Mini Logo, then assorted others including cheap ebay and other brands I can't recall right now.

I don't think I have ever seen Riptide in person, or the Ace AF1 pivot cups, but I have some pre packaged basic Ace ones, so I guess they are worth a try too, especially if they are thicker.

As to quality control and other issues, I think it is more just how they make them, as in the newer ones are just made with thinner pivot points on the hanger, so with the thicker pivot cups, they seem to fit fairly well so I don't have issues replacing them if or when needed.

I have found more slipping axles on regular / standard trucks of late, but I know that was definitely a thing a while back, just hadn't seen it for a decade or so.

The only other thing to try, if you have more than one set, is just check the mix and match between different hangers and baseplates, especially if they are of different ages, eg the older ones pre 2020 usually fit more snugly in the pivot point, newer ones not as snug, maybe even more so the ones with the truck size on them being the newer ones, so when they changed the molds, this could have also been something that happened at that time, around 2018 - regardless of where they were made too.

I like how indys pop and grind. Every single iteration i liked. My favorite have been 9s. Indy's have always had qc issues but i feel as is stage elevens have the same issues as stage 7s. I had some stage 7s with different pivot sizes.  But in the more modern versions ,stage 8 and onward, i haven't had the issue of the pivot cup not sitting correctly.

All in all it is not a deal breaker, just wonder why those issues can't get fixed if they are paying lower on labor now. Could have really improved the quality for less.

Will buy some af1 pivot cups and krux pivots and report back.

smg1138

« Reply #2246 on: May 24, 2024, 07:50:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not a xenophobe, but I am an observer of objective reality. Factories in China are totally capable of producing quality goods, it's just a matter of how much the brand is willing to pay for good QC. I've been skating Indy's since Stage VII and have seen things change since they outsourced to China. Tons of cases of Ti axles just snapping and now this super loose pivot cup problem. This isn't normal and NHS needs to up their quality control. That's all I was saying, not trying to get all political.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2247 on: May 24, 2024, 11:13:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nub meaning:

[close]

[close]

[close]

I like how indys pop and grind. Every single iteration i liked. My favorite have been 9s. Indy's have always had qc issues but i feel as is stage elevens have the same issues as stage 7s. I had some stage 7s with different pivot sizes.  But in the more modern versions ,stage 8 and onward, i haven't had the issue of the pivot cup not sitting correctly.

All in all it is not a deal breaker, just wonder why those issues can't get fixed if they are paying lower on labor now. Could have really improved the quality for less.

Will buy some af1 pivot cups and krux pivots and report back.

Krux pivots are considerably taller than everything else out there.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2248 on: May 24, 2024, 03:05:48 PM »
I might not have tried Krux then, is there another brand that has white cups? I distinctly remember ordering a ton of different brands from SoCal Skateshop I think and the white ones fit and felt the best, but it was splitting hairs. I thought Riptides felt mushy and the truck lost any snap it had and they actually blew out faster than stock. It's been several years since I have only had 1 pair of stage 11 (post China switch) and before that it had been many years of gaslighting myself about Aces

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2249 on: May 24, 2024, 04:25:49 PM »
I might not have tried Krux then, is there another brand that has white cups? I distinctly remember ordering a ton of different brands from SoCal Skateshop I think and the white ones fit and felt the best, but it was splitting hairs. I thought Riptides felt mushy and the truck lost any snap it had and they actually blew out faster than stock. It's been several years since I have only had 1 pair of stage 11 (post China switch) and before that it had been many years of gaslighting myself about Aces

Mini logo brand have white pivot cups.

Almost all the other ones have black, but I do have some yellow ones, some red ones (which feel super hard) and some really old clear Indy ones (that are not worth using but still look cool in their packet), oh and Modus were blue, almost a black blue at one point too.

Seen others online, Riptide green, then a few others I can't remember now.