Author Topic: Skateboarding and Marijuana?  (Read 567 times)

graibe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -52
Skateboarding and Marijuana?
« on: October 31, 2022, 10:30:40 AM »
Marijuana and skateboarding are culturally adjacent to each other. So much so, that it's kind of a stereotype at this point that skateboarders smoke weed. Brands like Baker are named after or pay homage to the act of smoking weed and you can always find a couple of guys at the skatepark sharing a joint. Do you smoke marijuana when you skateboard? Do you think that marijuana helps or hinders your performance?  like to smoke weed and skateboard personally, I think it helps me relax my muscles and slows things down so I can do cooler tricks.

m path

• Rep: -50
Re: Skateboarding and Marijuana?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 01:41:05 PM »
  Just stopped after decades recently due to drug tests for my job.  Weirdly skating better now tbh.  I always smoked while skating.  Surfing too.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 02:41:34 PM »
I cannot for the life of me imagine how people manage to skate while high or while drinking. I say this as a somewhat regular drug user, not a straight edge warrior. The activities to me are completely incompatible.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

YBOS

• Rep: 15
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 03:13:19 PM »
Recently read an old Grosso interview where he said the first time he smoked weed was with Neil Blender and Alan Losi, all I could think was dream blunt rotation. Also like the glorification of drug use by skateboarding or whatever

m path

• Rep: -50
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 11:57:04 PM »
Recently read an old Grosso interview where he said the first time he smoked weed was with Neil Blender and Alan Losi, all I could think was dream blunt rotation. Also like the glorification of drug use by skateboarding or whatever
   I feel the glorification of 'drugs' would be eventually curbed if they were legalized.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -127
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 10:14:48 AM »
I quit smoking weed over a month ago, feel way better and more motivated

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 03:58:14 AM »
i used to be unable to skate high, then i bombed a hill once and it clicked, from there i smoked and skated pretty much every day and got used to it but could skate well sober too at first, but 3 years in i started skating worse when sober. for the last year and a half i stopped smoking everyday and i mostly smoke on the weekends now, i can still skate high kinda well and i can skate well sober too. if i have a good session sober i skate better than high, but i don't have any bad sessions if i smoke lol. when i'm sober i tend to concentrate on certain tricks while trying to avoid doing other tricks and sometimes that gets me frustrated - for example i'm better at skating ledges frontside, as in getting into certain tricks like 5-0s or tailslides. i can back 5-0 but they're worse than my fs 5-0s so i start doing them over and over and if i miss like one in 5 i get kinda pissed. that doesn't happen when i smoke when skating because then i do anything without really thinking. all things considered i do not recommend smoking weed when skating because it's fun as fuck when it clicks and then you start lacking when skating sober.
Skateboarding isn't a sport because when I'm in these streets I don't play
@grandroba

Prince

• Rep: 85
    • Prince avatar image
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 07:59:42 PM »
when i was a youngster the rest of my skate friends were like 3 or 4 years older than me, so when i was like 10/11, they started smoking weed. they all sucked at skating when they were high (having been pretty good before) and hanging with them, a lot of our time was taken up having a sesh. it turned me right off wanting to smoke weed at all really.

then when i was like 18/19 and going to uni, the only other skater i met at university invited me for a skate one weekend and he just brought a doobie along and i smoked it with him - don't know why, just did. and then i skated probably the best i ever had at that point, learning new tricks, making shit first try etc and had a really great time. then actually crossed paths with the skate rock tour that was happening at the time and watched some incredible skating and met phelps anda bunch of cool things.

it was probably another two years before i became a stoner as such. like smoking every day - definitely never had that first time impact again but always enjoyed being baked and skating. did that for like 9 years and then a few years ago they started testing for thc in roadside stops in australia so i couldn't really smoke in the day anymore and do everything i used to.

i can operate fine and skate just as good stoned or not now, but these days i'd probably rather skate first and smoke after...
kiss your enemies like you know you should, then jerk your body like a horny pony would

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 08:19:57 PM »
I quit smoking 9 or so years ago and skating has gone downhill. I think mostly due to session lengths and frequency going down. Before it was kind of a post work happy hour thing and id have a smoke and skate at least an hour. Now I skate once a week and sometimes only 30 mins.