Author Topic: What cupsole shoe is the most flexible/"vulc-y" that you've ever skated.  (Read 1377 times)

Dolphinpony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
  • i do not agree for slap magazine to selll my info
Or visa versa what vulc sole has the most cushioning?

I need a flexible sole and I need my toes to really feel the board and shit however the skatepark I recently moved near is very crunchy and crusty and the asphalt, yes asphalt, is really old and shitty so I'd to skate a shoe that doesn't make my feet vibrate when rolling on rough ground.

The waffle thing for vans is interesting and I know people like the 440 but is there other shoes you guys might recommend? Thanks
i do not agree for slap magazine to sell my person information to facebook or mark zuccerberg this is legally binding

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: What cupsole shoe is the most flexible/"vulc-y" that you've ever skated.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 09:54:23 AM »
Adidas Puig.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 10:00:05 AM »
I know this isn't a particularly popular shoe around here, but the Vans AVE hits this mark and it's why I love it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 10:04:00 AM »
Or visa versa what vulc sole has the most cushioning?

I need a flexible sole and I need my toes to really feel the board and shit however the skatepark I recently moved near is very crunchy and crusty and the asphalt, yes asphalt, is really old and shitty so I'd to skate a shoe that doesn't make my feet vibrate when rolling on rough ground.

The waffle thing for vans is interesting and I know people like the 440 but is there other shoes you guys might recommend? Thanks

Rowan's are a vulc that feel pretty nice and padded. Board feel seems about the same between them and NB 440s.

IpathCats

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »
Lakai XLK for sure. idk how they even call it a cup. I've skated vlucs that are stiffer

They have that sole on a bunch of models. telford is the most popular

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 11:05:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Adidas Puig.
[close]

That comes in vulc as well as cup doesn't it. The vulc is called puig indoor I believe. Ur talking shout the original one tho?

Aye, didn‘t know they came in vulc but the cupsole is really flexible with a board feeling akin to a vulc. Plus looks dope.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 11:13:53 AM »
Lakai XLK for sure. idk how they even call it a cup. I've skated vlucs that are stiffer

They have that sole on a bunch of models. telford is the most popular

Agreed

that telford is something. It looks perfect, but isn't at all

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 11:17:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adidas Puig.
[close]

That comes in vulc as well as cup doesn't it. The vulc is called puig indoor I believe. Ur talking shout the original one tho?
[close]

Aye, didn‘t know they came in vulc but the cupsole is really flexible with a board feeling akin to a vulc. Plus looks dope.

i think the Puig Indoor is actually some form of cold-mold thin cupsole and not technically a 'vulc' vs. say, the Busenitz vulc.  i think.  maybe @Sk.A.T.A.N can comment on that

other super flexible cupsoles are the Puig (reg version) and the NB 440.  The Adidas Gazelle ADV is also technically a cupsole and suuuper thin/flexy, i think. 

hardly art, hardly starving

LebowskisRug

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 11:18:14 AM »
NB 440. It was designed to be the into-to-cup shoe.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 11:20:12 AM »
Saw recently DC still make a shoe called the "pure" looks like a vulc but I'm pretty sure it's a cup (none of us could tell the difference back in 2005 or whenever it was we had them). I remember liking them at the time and thought they were way better than Rowley pros (which were regular vulcs)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 11:36:44 AM »
NB 440. It was designed to be the into-to-cup shoe.

Yeah, this was going to be my other suggestion. Another one of my favorites.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 462
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 11:40:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adidas Puig.
[close]

[close]

[close]

i think the Puig Indoor is actually some form of cold-mold thin cupsole and not technically a 'vulc' vs. say, the Busenitz vulc.  i think.  maybe @Sk.A.T.A.N can comment on that

other super flexible cupsoles are the Puig (reg version) and the NB 440.  The Adidas Gazelle ADV is also technically a cupsole and suuuper thin/flexy, i think.

I have the Gazelle ADV and it’s a vulc. It’s one of the thinnest feeling vulcs I’ve ever had. Good arch support for me but my feet are DOA flat. You may be referring to the Campus ADV which I’ve also had. The Campus ADV is a cup sole that’s vulc thin in the forefoot but stable and supportive from the arch to the heel.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 12:07:14 PM »
First shoe comes to my mind is first Adidas puig pro model. Shit felt broken In Off rip. So flexy

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 12:32:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adidas Puig.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I have the Gazelle ADV and it’s a vulc. It’s one of the thinnest feeling vulcs I’ve ever had. Good arch support for me but my feet are DOA flat. You may be referring to the Campus ADV which I’ve also had. The Campus ADV is a cup sole that’s vulc thin in the forefoot but stable and supportive from the arch to the heel.

yea, your right!  Thanks for clarifying... the new Campus ADV is a thinner one. That new Nora cup is on the thin side too.

First shoe comes to my mind is first Adidas puig pro model. Shit felt broken In Off rip. So flexy

one of the all time greatest skate shoes.  was really hoping the Nora would use the 'sprint skin' like that first Puig.
hardly art, hardly starving

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 462
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2022, 03:33:47 PM »
I just mentioned this to someone in another thread but the Force 58 was a great shoe for support + boardfeel in a cup. Not super puffy either. Hope this helps!

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 04:24:59 PM »
For me personally it's the Emerica Gammas. Idk what it is about them, but I have like zero break in period with them and they have good support. Bonus if you get them with that G6.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 05:22:43 PM »
Hands down, eS Arc. No break-in period whatsoever, and godlike boardfeel. Perfect for low impact and hot weather.

Sucks that eS stopped making those kind of shoes and is now reduced to reissues and 90s nostalgia models.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2022, 09:55:04 PM »
AVE
KLS

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2022, 10:31:52 PM »
What about the Lakai XLK outsole? Heard they are supposed to combine the best of cup and vulc with an already broken in feel.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ghost Face

• Rep: 108
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2022, 11:20:44 PM »
Those DC Legacy Slim were so underated. Got a pair on now. awesome shoe.

If your looking for something that feels more cup but is still a vulc look at the Vans BMX range especially the Style 114.

Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2022, 03:53:55 AM »
anything eS with swift 1.5 outsole: instant break in time, great board feel but with cupsole stability

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Radim

• Rep: 12
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2022, 04:00:25 AM »
Current Fallen Troopers and Patriots
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2022, 05:15:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I know this isn't a particularly popular shoe around here, but the Vans AVE hits this mark and it's why I love it.
[close]
For sure, I think the ave uses the waffle sole technology that the kyle walker shoe uses as well

Crockett's and Walker's use Waffle Cup
AVE's are on Ultimate waffle and it doesn't feel the same
Waffle cup feels like a stronger, more durable vulc, ultimate feels like a slightly more flexible cup

But yeah the AVE's are a great hybrid for those who want a good mix of support and board feel. I never hurt my heels with these.
While being one of the best shoes i ever skated, i'm getting tired of them. They just don't look right, a bit too thin when wearing loose pants, colorways all over the place with the mixed material upper, colored outsoles... and the meshy upper while being light and perfect for summer is not strong enough (it depends on where your ollie hole is though)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 05:24:54 AM by BALARGUE »

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2022, 05:27:14 AM »
Emerica Laced, the current one. The first one before the G6 rebrand they did around the time the Herman G6 came out, was a little beefier I think.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2022, 05:54:04 AM »
What about the Lakai XLK outsole? Heard they are supposed to combine the best of cup and vulc with an already broken in feel.

This outsole is pretty good, I om on my third pair of Atlantic's. My only gripe with them are the suede sidewalls, which can feel a bit floppy after a while. But the outsole holds up well for me. But if I relate this shoe to a 440 or the Gamma, the Lakai models feel more like a solid vulc instead of a true cupsole.

Atlantic's have the best board feel of them, but that is just my experience with all these different shoes.
IG: @flowterspace

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2022, 07:18:47 AM »
That new Nora cup is on the thin side too.

I have these on my feet right now and I'm not sure these are a cupsole. Maybe that says something. I think they're a vulc though.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2022, 07:30:34 AM »
To address the "that you've ever skated" question I'd throw the NB# 913 in the ring. I had a pair on ice in the closet that I took as my only pair of shoes to France for two weeks. City walking, hiking, and skating. They aren't my primary skate shoes 'cause I think they are actually too flexible and they look goofy but fit your ask...
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2022, 07:33:00 AM »
Expand Quote
That new Nora cup is on the thin side too.
[close]

I have these on my feet right now and I'm not sure these are a cupsole. Maybe that says something. I think they're a vulc though.

per there description "the Nora infuses an extended toe cap with double-layer durability, providing cupsole quality with a vulc aesthetic." i'd say you're getting the feeling they were going for

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2022, 08:33:07 AM »
To address the "that you've ever skated" question I'd throw the NB# 913 in the ring. I had a pair on ice in the closet that I took as my only pair of shoes to France for two weeks. City walking, hiking, and skating. They aren't my primary skate shoes 'cause I think they are actually too flexible and they look goofy but fit your ask...

I had 2 pairs (1 to skate and 1 on ice) and the sole fell off the upper within 1 session, got 2 defective pairs that were old and the glue hardened. NB was good on the refund and rothdigga even sent me 2 pairs to make it alright, customer service was top notch.

The 1 pair I did get to ride has an really tight toe box, sole was really stiff but grippy.

It's a shame they phased out this model, the 868 was a good looking shoe too:
https://www.weartested.com/new-balance-numeric-868/

anything eS with swift 1.5 outsole: instant break in time, great board feel but with cupsole stability

Got that lined up next, get 2 more sessions out of my NB and wear the Swift 1.5 next week to break them in a bit before the session.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m