Author Topic: What to do when you dislike your roomates?  (Read 1288 times)

graibe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
What to do when you dislike your roomates?
« on: November 05, 2022, 08:57:43 AM »
I'm a junior in college. Last year my roommates suck, and this year I also dislike them. It's kinda funny to see how I dislike different people for different reasons. Some people are functioning, healthy people and they hate my dysfunctional ass. Some people are just dysfunctional and that sucks too. Yesterday I was tryna shoot the shit with my roommate while he was eating lunch and he said "I'm not interested in what you have to say, I'm trying to eat, please stop talking", which is a moderately nice way of saying "shut the fuck up". It's clear to see that these people do not like me. Maybe I'm annoying or whatever but I really just want people in my life that are chill to talk to and I haven't found them yet. People in college are generally very rude and I can't wait to graduate because I'm starting to really hate this place.

Blind Fisherman

Re: What to do when you dislike your roomates?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 12:06:21 PM »
Not trying to piss in your proverbial cheerios, but if you think the real world will be better then you are sorely mistaken. Rudeness is not exclusive to college kids.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 02:49:34 PM »
I wish I had the balls to tell someone I'm not interested in what you have to say, I'm trying to eat, please stop talking

graibe

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 05:10:59 PM »
Not trying to piss in your proverbial cheerios, but if you think the real world will be better then you are sorely mistaken. Rudeness is not exclusive to college kids.

I think I'm realizing that right now... And I thought we were dicks to each other in high school... It seems to just get worse as we get older.

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 05:45:00 PM »
  Get a van.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 07:09:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think I'm realizing that right now... And I thought we were dicks to each other in high school... It seems to just get worse as we get older.
Everyone’s just trying to get through their day. Once you learn to not take things personally, it becomes a lot easier. If they don’t like you and that bothers you, then you need to take some time to get over yourself.

m path

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 08:07:07 PM »
I'm a junior in college. Last year my roommates suck, and this year I also dislike them. It's kinda funny to see how I dislike different people for different reasons. Some people are functioning, healthy people and they hate my dysfunctional ass. Some people are just dysfunctional and that sucks too. Yesterday I was tryna shoot the shit with my roommate while he was eating lunch and he said "I'm not interested in what you have to say, I'm trying to eat, please stop talking", which is a moderately nice way of saying "shut the fuck up". It's clear to see that these people do not like me. Maybe I'm annoying or whatever but I really just want people in my life that are chill to talk to and I haven't found them yet. People in college are generally very rude and I can't wait to graduate because I'm starting to really hate this place.
  You can't live like this. Even if it was rent free.  Does your college have a gym/showers? 

Rihannasdirtylaundry

• Rep: -1
  • A poster formerly known as Rafiki
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 01:49:15 AM »
I'm not interested in what this thread is trying to say, I am trying to eat, please stop posting.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 01:52:09 AM »

If you don’t get on with college kids just imagine a whole career working with those pricks

Food for thought
listen to cosmic psychos

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 02:09:22 AM »
Please avoid writing any manifestos

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 02:13:19 AM »
Please avoid writing any manifestos

I went to cheesecake he was a motherfucken waiter there

He’s right, manifestos are OUT
listen to cosmic psychos

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2022, 03:20:32 AM »
Be more courteous of people’s time and personal space, and don’t bother people when they’re eating for Christ sake.
ableSkateMag.com

graibe

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2022, 08:03:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Everyone’s just trying to get through their day. Once you learn to not take things personally, it becomes a lot easier. If they don’t like you and that bothers you, then you need to take some time to get over yourself.
Dude you're right... Honestly tho i let everything get to me. Especially when it comes to the DIY scene here some of my fellow musicians are straight dicks. I had a 'friend' from last year who pretends they not to know who I am now that he's joined some DIY garage band. I know, self-reflection, and don't let it get to you, but man its hard to make friends around here when I don't really know who will turn their back on me. Girls do it to me too, but that's more understandable since romantic relationships get complicated. I won't take it personally if a girl i used to talk to pretends they don't see me, in fact I sort of expect that behavior.

m path

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 08:27:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Dude you're right... Honestly tho i let everything get to me. Especially when it comes to the DIY scene here some of my fellow musicians are straight dicks. I had a 'friend' from last year who pretends they not to know who I am now that he's joined some DIY garage band. I know, self-reflection, and don't let it get to you, but man its hard to make friends around here when I don't really know who will turn their back on me. Girls do it to me too, but that's more understandable since romantic relationships get complicated. I won't take it personally if a girl i used to talk to pretends they don't see me, in fact I sort of expect that behavior.
   Be your own friend.

skateharder

• Rep: -25
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 08:30:09 AM »
I'm not going to lie that's awful that roommate played you like a b**** and you took it you need to do something to compel these people to respect you before it gets even worse. I'm not going to say it's the right thing to do but if that person said that to me I would have put hands on them

graibe

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2022, 08:33:37 AM »
I'm not going to lie that's awful that roommate played you like a b**** and you took it you need to do something to compel these people to respect you before it gets even worse. I'm not going to say it's the right thing to do but if that person said that to me I would have put hands on them
I'm seriously not tryna have complications with my roommate. If this was just some fucker at the skatepark then yeah, by all means. But shit, we gotta live together. Kinda sucks tho, instead of shooting the shit with me, he just tells me to be quiet.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2022, 09:06:25 AM »
I’d say you have two main options -

1) Go up to your roommate(s) and politely say that you feel there’s issues between you two, and that you’d like resolve them. The hard part is actually going up and saying this. Try to be calm and polite as I said. If they can’t respect the fact that you’re reaching out and trying to make the tension disappear, it’s their problem, not yours.

If they point out things about you that they would like to see changed, it may be a good idea not to take them too personally, and reflect on them. Do you feel like they have a point?

2) If you feel like you just can’t talk to them, they’re not listening, and you hate it - I’d recommend that you move. Try to find a better living situation; life is too short to waste it around assholes. Sometimes you just have to move around until you find an environment that fits you.

Hope this helps! I’ve literally had roommates who I’ve gotten into fights with and the police and an ambulance came as a result, so I’ve been through some bullshit. It sucks, all the drama- you want to avoid it.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1131
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2022, 09:37:40 AM »
Reminds me of when I decided it'd be a good opportunity to saddle up next to one of the Security Guards @ a dive bar I frequent while he ate dinner on his break.
ME: How's it going?
SECURITY GUARD: (chewing) Oh, pretty good.
ME: Listen, I want you to know that I get the whole proper handshake thing now.
SECURITY GUARD: (chewing) What's that?
ME: At first, I couldn't really figure out why you always insisted on shaking my hand properly whenever I reached out to slap your palm & give you dap. I mean, I always shake people's hands properly when I first meet them, then, once a rapport has been set, I usually just give em the slap & dap from then on. It's just what the kids I grew up with did -- well, at my high school anyways...
SECURITY GUARD: (swallowing)...
ME: The kids at a neighboring high school would sometimes give you a slap but then they would, like, put their palm out & meet the knuckles of your dap w/ their open palm, which I always thought was kind of weird, you know...
SECURITY GUARD: Really, it's no--
ME: With your handshaking every time, I was like, "...Okay...maybe he's trying to teach me manners or something. I do come off pretty uncouth." But then I realized...it's because you're at work. (points @ him then taps own temple) Your bosses are watching you & you don't wanna seem unprofessional. I get it. Shit, I probably wouldn't appreciate it if you came into my office & started giving me dap & shit there, all right by the copiers.
SECURITY GUARD: Don't worry about--
ME: Granted the place I work at is a more corporate environment...I guess all I'm trying to say about the proper handshaking is--
SECURITY GUARD: LOOK, I REALLY DON'T CARE, OKAY?!?!
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2022, 09:52:52 AM »
 I don't know what the hell everyone's on about here, but if my roommate acted like that their meal would be wall decor pronto.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2022, 12:59:47 PM »
I had a really hard time living with roommates in the past. Didn’t go to college but living in a house with strangers took a lot of energy for me. I’m in my 30s now and my roommate is my wife (she’s cool though)

What I would have told my younger self is realize this time is finite and focus on graduating and getting your own spot. If you can’t afford that, have real conversations with your homies that you’d be down to live with

And stop fucking talking at people while they’re eating

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2022, 02:39:24 PM »
I wish I had the balls to tell someone I'm not interested in what you have to say, I'm trying to eat, please stop talking

For real tho, that’s shockingly direct.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2022, 03:31:12 PM »
Sometimes the problem is that you are actually are an annoying, uninteresting person who needs to earn respect.
We all been there.

half staff

• Rep: -11
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2022, 03:37:23 PM »
seems like the best way to get along with roommates is live with your wife. you're going to have to marry that rude boi.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2022, 03:49:58 PM »
My old roommate is getting on my fucking nerves too, I’m renting a room out of her dad’s house, had a guest stay over here and she totally blew that chance to hell.

I realize I can’t do anything about this albeit move out and whatnot however I’ve cutoff communication with her and I won’t bother with her or acknowledge it bother’s me for I know what kind of petty person she is.

You do you king, yea roommates suck but it’s most effective to voice your issues than hiding them unless they’re a narcissistic piece of shit. Then by all means talk shit however it seems better to peacefully resolve this.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2022, 06:39:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For real tho, that’s shockingly direct.

Let’s not discount autism/Asperger’s.  That level of directness is common. 

Banned from the room

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2022, 07:33:22 AM »

Wouldn't work on me. I'd just continue talking anyway. Probably act concerned and not stop asking questions about their innermost feeling about everything under the sun.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2022, 08:09:47 AM »
Stop talking to them.
Dress mostly in black
Be aloof
Watch foreign language films
Read Obscure books
Listen to bands that they have never heard of

And they will come to you.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2022, 06:27:12 PM »
Stop talking to them.
Dress mostly in black
Be aloof
Watch foreign language films
Read Obscure books
Listen to bands that they have never heard of

And they will come to you.

Aka become a human housecat

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 08:07:33 PM »
Could be a number of things. They might have been having a hard time, they might also hate the living situation and just want alone time while eating. But if you live with cool people you can communicate these things in a manner that isn't so harsh. In my house it would look something like this,, " heeyy I've got a mouth full of food you dirty dog hahaha hit me up in 20 minutes". Sounds like you need some real friends to live with

graibe

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2022, 08:19:29 PM »
Update: My other roommate made cookies the other day, and offered some to my other two roommates, then when I asked for one she said she didn't have enough for me. Then, she lets them have another one. So yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that she was being passive-aggressive or something. Like fr? why are you gonna deny me sum cookies?