Author Topic: Pressure flips  (Read 1397 times)

Suangi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Pressure flips
« on: December 02, 2022, 02:05:32 PM »
I know this is a lame trick but the people that can do them say they are so easy yet I cannot get anywhere near the flip. I also have a friend that always gets me on this in skate and I hate it.

I can pop shuv no problem I just do not know what I am doing with the back foot to make it flip and spin 180.

Any sage advice for this one?

PS I also run relatively tight trucks which I assume would help with these

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
Re: Pressure flips
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 09:37:57 PM »
Don't pop and use the center of the tail like you would for a pop shove for these. When setting up, what matters is the big toe on your popping foot should be in the upper corner of the tail, almost covering the back wheel (actually a rather unusual position if you're not used to it from different similar tricks already). Front foot goes wherever you're most confident easily getting it out of the way without interfering with the board. Then when actually going for the trick, you're supposed to jump straight up off that exact pressure point on the tail, using nothing but said big toe for leverage and sort of digging in with it as if you wanted to force the board through primo with enough precision that it flips the whole way around. Front foot does absolutely nothing and just hovers over the trick as you suck your legs up once it's formed, then comes back down.

Trick essentially comes down to forgetting everything you know about pop shoves and how to keep them flat to instead insist on the complete opposite. The 180 of the board is relatively unimportant for this one, you want to focus on initiating the flip first and foremost, so you load the trick from that position I described and only then you jump whilst still insisting with the toes until they literally push the board through the beginning of the rotation, which sort of happens diagonally and through the scraped tail (not too dissimilarly to ollie impossibles, except instead of guiding the board around the whole way, you let go of it as it starts coming around and maybe keep pushing through it an extra second to make sure it completes the whole flip).

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 04:34:41 AM »
Incredible reply. Thanks man.

I've been doing it all wrong and your explanation made me realise. I thought it was more like a pop shuv but you kind of angle it different so it pops skewed. This makes much more sense

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 08:03:33 AM »
All good, yeah, sounds like you got the idea. Something I forgot to mention is the back foot action in itself might be a bit weird at first, you're really trying to push the toe-side edge of the concave into the wheel (and then the round shape of the wheel helps flip the board over) and that itself is a bit different from traditional back foot action, feels a bit like a pedaling type of motion mostly using the big toe and/or the ball of your foot to guide the board into tipping over. Whereas usual pop on pop shoves is more akin to a firm smack.

Maybe random but it seems like depending on stance and stylistic habits, some people have a way easier time at that trick nollie/switch (that is also true for ollie impossibles), so if for some reason the regular ones persist at being too awkward for you, then maybe those will easily click instead. Could use them to get back at your friend for not explaining the trick to you this whole time. Frontside/hardflip style is the same principle just mirrored and that one too sometimes comes strangely easy (but those ruin my front shoves for weeks every time I do one).

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 03:11:35 PM »
I won't lose sleep if I can never do these, but similar story to the start of this thread - they get me in games of skate and I would just like to have the option of not definitely getting a letter haha.

So, I can spin the board 180 and I can half flip it, like every go. I land on the board all sweet, it's just upside down. So I would've thought I was capable enough to figure the rest of the flip out myself, but I've tried quite a bit and I just struggle to get past a half flip. I guess I have to dig in more with my big toe? I definitely skate fairly loose trucks - but i'm not going to tighten them to do this. Any tips?
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 04:33:09 PM »
I won't lose sleep if I can never do these, but similar story to the start of this thread - they get me in games of skate and I would just like to have the option of not definitely getting a letter haha.

So, I can spin the board 180 and I can half flip it, like every go. I land on the board all sweet, it's just upside down. So I would've thought I was capable enough to figure the rest of the flip out myself, but I've tried quite a bit and I just struggle to get past a half flip. I guess I have to dig in more with my big toe? I definitely skate fairly loose trucks - but i'm not going to tighten them to do this. Any tips?

Yeah that is exactly it, just dig in more and/or optimize tension across the board before you pop by having your front foot where that feels the best. On loose trucks you can compensate by adjusting your back foot placement so that it's downright almost parallel to the board in addition to having the toe over the wheel, that will ensure you push straight down on the concave around the corner of the tail and imprint enough force that the board will fully flip over. Pretend you're trying to get not just into but past primo like that in the middle of popping a shove.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 03:12:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah that is exactly it, just dig in more and/or optimize tension across the board before you pop by having your front foot where that feels the best. On loose trucks you can compensate by adjusting your back foot placement so that it's downright almost parallel to the board in addition to having the toe over the wheel, that will ensure you push straight down on the concave around the corner of the tail and imprint enough force that the board will fully flip over. Pretend you're trying to get not just into but past primo like that in the middle of popping a shove.

Thank you for the tips, so I actually did like 20 or so yesterday - which was a cool break through. Not to disagree 'cause you definitely seem to know what you're doing on a skateboard @silhouette but I actually started having success with my toe like 2 inches back down the tail from the wheel - when I stood over the wheel I struggled to whip it around 180. I do feel like I thought more about the front foot tension optimisation though and definitely gave it a more spring loaded burst of flipping energy. What a trick huh?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 05:13:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thank you for the tips, so I actually did like 20 or so yesterday - which was a cool break through. Not to disagree 'cause you definitely seem to know what you're doing on a skateboard @silhouette but I actually started having success with my toe like 2 inches back down the tail from the wheel - when I stood over the wheel I struggled to whip it around 180. I do feel like I thought more about the front foot tension optimisation though and definitely gave it a more spring loaded burst of flipping energy. What a trick huh?

That is great you figured them out and I'm happy if some of the advice helped. You're actually correct in specifying your technique too, the rotation axis for the trick in general seems to be around the back wheel but one might need to compensate with foot positioning in order to get the right amount of pressure and then leverage around that point. That is also why a lot about pressure flips is very set-up dependent, probably more so than ollie flip tricks where pop can and will matter in your trick form, for pressure flips a lot is in the design of the skateboard itself and so how tight/loose your trucks are, or your board's exact shape will directly influence the optimal way of doing them, since they kind of rely on the principle of just flopping over. Also explains why some people learn them quick whilst to someone else they might feel impossible, some of the positions are more natural to adopt when on some set-ups one might need to stretch the arcs a bit more.

adam22savage

• Rep: -45
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 05:27:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That is great you figured them out and I'm happy if some of the advice helped. You're actually correct in specifying your technique too, the rotation axis for the trick in general seems to be around the back wheel but one might need to compensate with foot positioning in order to get the right amount of pressure and then leverage around that point. That is also why a lot about pressure flips is very set-up dependent, probably more so than ollie flip tricks where pop can and will matter in your trick form, for pressure flips a lot is in the design of the skateboard itself and so how tight/loose your trucks are, or your board's exact shape will directly influence the optimal way of doing them, since they kind of rely on the principle of just flopping over. Also explains why some people learn them quick whilst to someone else they might feel impossible, some of the positions are more natural to adopt when on some set-ups one might need to stretch the arcs a bit more.
not saying i want to learn them for I do not. but what style of setup is conducive to pressure flips?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 771
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 05:59:38 PM »
Tight trucks (think Venture not Ace) small wheels, egg shaped deck with  a pointy tail...

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 07:53:36 PM »
Egg shape and pointy tail surely does help and too many pressure flips on rough ground will wear your board down exactly like that anyway, because of the scraping (which is fiercer than on impossibles or backside 360's as you're forcing through the flip) and the occasional rebounds when missing.

About trucks I'm actually more reserved, a lot of people say they're easier on tight trucks and while that's true to an extent, past a certain level the set-up becomes too rigid around the tail to be responsive and it becomes harder to get the pinch in to imprint the motion, you'll get pop shoves every time because the center of the tail will smack the floor first always unless your technique is refined in that precise style. And I've heard some others say (and do really well on) super loose trucks, but it's the same thing, past a certain extent you'll lose the opposite resistance (no more stable feedback around the front truck, everything is leeway) and response and forming the trick will feel weaker, function but with no pop or at least require a different precision.

You kind of just have to find your own sweet spot where on your current board you can just stand on top of your big toe and just using your weight push down on the concave so the board starts rolling/flipping, will vary depending on a lot but once that specific is figured out it's only a matter of scraping through the full flip like that mid shove.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 10:23:54 PM »
Tight trucks (think Venture not Ace) small wheels, egg shaped deck with  a pointy tail...

I just setup venture highs and I did my first pressure flips in years…..

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 771
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2023, 11:29:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just setup venture highs and I did my first pressure flips in years…..

Amazing. I had a few variations on lock in the early 90s but have not done one since Eastern exposure 3 came out. tried recently but Ace just won't allow me...

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2023, 09:35:00 PM »
I can definitely do them now and I could do impossibles beforehand, but learning these has given me an alternative approach different to doing impossibles - they're maybe smaller but kind of a tighter wrap if that makes sense. learning is fun!

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 02:49:24 AM »
I'm sure no one needs updates on my personal pressure flipping journey - i guess i'm just on the other side of what seemed like a genuinely impossible trick for me and want you to know they are indeed doable. I can now do the inward heel classic pressure flip, the straight heelflip version and have done a few back 180 heelflip ones.

It's really more of an unlearning process if you can already skate and weren't skating in the early 90s I suppose, that's how it felt for me.

Thanks for listening or not listening internet void.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2023, 08:09:39 AM »
no, you're quite right, it's a weird action that doesn't really compute with current skating.  It's actually a bit like an impossible because you really pop, it's an entirely different action.

the other way I learned them was I had access to a vert ramp....maso flat bottom, the perfect surface.  We saw Rick Howard do one and a bunch of us lost our minds and immediately started trying them. 

Waxing your tail actually helps and may save it a bit because it scrapes the shit out of it. 

I could only do the regular ones, straight ones, and the switch ones, you might want to try them. 

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2023, 08:54:27 AM »
I'm sure no one needs updates on my personal pressure flipping journey - i guess i'm just on the other side of what seemed like a genuinely impossible trick for me and want you to know they are indeed doable. I can now do the inward heel classic pressure flip, the straight heelflip version and have done a few back 180 heelflip ones.

It's really more of an unlearning process if you can already skate and weren't skating in the early 90s I suppose, that's how it felt for me.

If you can do the straight heelflip ones, for a laugh I'd recommend trying the varial heelflip one, it's awkward, getting the flip going feels strange but barely should be a stretch from the technique for straight ones. Can also be repurposed into the frontside heelflip kind if you ever feel like doing worse versions of the frontside heelflip, instead of worse versions of the varial heelflip.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2023, 04:52:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you can do the straight heelflip ones, for a laugh I'd recommend trying the varial heelflip one, it's awkward, getting the flip going feels strange but barely should be a stretch from the technique for straight ones. Can also be repurposed into the frontside heelflip kind if you ever feel like doing worse versions of the frontside heelflip, instead of worse versions of the varial heelflip.

i hadn't even considered going that way yet. i can imagine it's absolutely disgusting. i will give it a go though, thanks for the suggestion.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2023, 03:33:47 AM »
@silhouette i couldn't be bother with the varial heel or front heel, but i got another one which you've probably done already but if not, you'll do it super quick. i don't know what to call it, pressure underflip maybe.

so you go to do you regular pressure flip and when it's upside down and spun 180, with your back foot you fold it back over. i guess it's very similar to like half an impossible and then back the way it came. but it's definitely pressure flip in, not impossible. as i said i don't know what you'd call it, and it's gross and silly, but it's fun and easy.

it's been really cool learning to use my back foot more. like, i could already skate switch flatground capably, but i feel like pressure flips have been a gateway to a really clear awareness of that foot and making it do better and more consistent work. so yeah i think i can skate switch kind of better, i can impossible heaps more consistently too post-pressure flip attainment.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2023, 05:53:41 AM »
@silhouette i couldn't be bother with the varial heel or front heel, but i got another one which you've probably done already but if not, you'll do it super quick. i don't know what to call it, pressure underflip maybe.

so you go to do you regular pressure flip and when it's upside down and spun 180, with your back foot you fold it back over. i guess it's very similar to like half an impossible and then back the way it came. but it's definitely pressure flip in, not impossible. as i said i don't know what you'd call it, and it's gross and silly, but it's fun and easy.

it's been really cool learning to use my back foot more. like, i could already skate switch flatground capably, but i feel like pressure flips have been a gateway to a really clear awareness of that foot and making it do better and more consistent work. so yeah i think i can skate switch kind of better, i can impossible heaps more consistently too post-pressure flip attainment.

I know the trick you're talking about, I never do it normally but one variation sometimes that is switch and then late frontside 180 (the flipping over of the board allows that type of control, if you turn as you're going through that step the board also will come with you). So like switch pop shove revert but with the board turning upside down, honestly switch pop shove revert done well feels better and is harder but the upside down ones just work and so they have their moment, every other blue moon. A version I also do on the occasion is half pressure flip, late flip Willy Santos style, that one is in fact super easy but can be done and controlled while going fast, so you can take it to flat gaps for instance (late heelflip also can work).

If you're after variations that feel good instead of stupid, definitely forget about the no pop varial heelflip thing as those are a joke but now I would recommend the hardflip style pressure flips, they can be a bit awkward at first but once you figure those out they work every time, you actually can pop and catch them, and they feel completely different from normal hardflips which I also enjoy doing but function like an entirely different move. It's the same principle as the inward heelflip ones but with the back foot leverage (and angle) reversed, you sort of pedal down from the correct position and the board just goes up, it's strange but satisfying. They do mess up my frontside pop shove-its like clockwork the second I start doing them for some reason but clearly that's a personal issue.