Author Topic: Tyshawn SOTY 2022  (Read 41000 times)

Stu Pickles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 114
Re: Tyshawn SOTY 2022
« Reply #330 on: December 09, 2022, 03:50:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Chris Joslin ain’t doing shit over a subway track. The guy that Ollied it, barely did it. Tyshawn’s pop is superhuman.

Nyjah had photos with cops, drone footage and skated to folk music. Not hell ride
[close]

Pretty sure people somehow forgot how fucking gnarly he was and is..and the massive gaps he all sorts of tricks down..

i definitely forgot how fucking gnarly he is. the uc davis 3flip i would remember but man that part is just hard tricks down massive shit

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #331 on: December 09, 2022, 04:00:28 PM »

Given his current output I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't slow down at all and tries to be the first back-to-back SOTY winner.

All the more power to him. Like others have said, he definitely sets goals for himself and works his ass off to make them happen.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #332 on: December 09, 2022, 04:06:16 PM »
Hats off to the most competitive SOTY race I can remember. Usually when 4-5 people are in the mix it’s because nobody was going for it, but that wasn’t the case this time around.

If you care about increasingly sick footage then Tyshawn winning was the best scenario. Nyjah and Louie aren’t going to slow down until they win, and Tyshawn is crazy enough to go for a third in a few years since he’s only 23.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2022, 04:14:37 PM »

Given his current output I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't slow down at all and tries to be the first back-to-back SOTY winner.

All the more power to him. Like others have said, he definitely sets goals for himself and works his ass off to make them happen.

Wait was that just posted?

That's in Chicago: https://youtu.be/Q5rjJV6Nqig?t=188

Hope to see a bunch of Chicago footage from him and other pros. Supreme didn't give the Chicago store a proper video like their other locations, so I wonder if its filming for that. There was just that little John Wilson video.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1440
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2022, 04:24:41 PM »
^It’d be wild if he did the backside flip on Tuesday and this on Thursday. I’d be hyped on some Tyshawn Post Office footy.

Surprised Supreme Chicago doesn’t have an insta or something. Still haven’t been there.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2022, 04:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pretty funny that a dude who won SOTY twice probably can't do an axel stall on a 5 foot miniramp.

But hey, the stuff he does, only he can do it. Congrats to TJ.
[close]

I'm convinced everyone hating on Tyshawn are just ignorant fucks.

[close]

I didn't see no Axel stall.

quackquack

• Rep: -431
« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2022, 04:35:34 PM »
I miss the old TJ
Still rode for Toy TJ
Didn't start a bloard TJ
Still just a boy TJ
Couldn't clear a road TJ
Fourteen-years-old TJ
Still rode for Sole TJ
Didn't rep King's Gold TJ
What's with this new TJ
Puts on his crew TJ
Switch ollie be skewed TJ
Has his own shoe TJ
----

Nah, I really don't, just had it stuck in my head.

Out of all the things that gets Slap big-mad, SOTY is my favorite.

There's some real skate-nerds up in here, and I love it.
Oh, the places you'll go.

billyerlife

« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2022, 04:40:46 PM »
SOTY used to be picked by Phelps, regardless of what any malakas on the internet had to say about it. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess Burnett gets to call it now. He probably listens to people around him more than Phelps ever did, but the idea that the readers of Thrasher should get a say is completely contrary to the way it has always worked. I feel like even offering the online vote is just a joke.

Someone else said the whole point is really the build up, I don't know if that's entirely true, but if you don't enjoy the frenzy before it happens than there really isn't any point in engaging with it at all.

I am a whiny, bitter old man who hates everything, yet even I can see that Tyshawn is good. He's an incredible skateboarder, keeps it street as fuck, can do a bunch of shit no one else can, and seems to have a pretty fucking good time doing it. I'm glad he got it, hope he ollies up Wallenberg next year and wins it again.

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2022, 04:41:10 PM »

It's pretty mad that that would be a decent sized ollie if he was just ollieing off the top of that bench, the fact that it's off the floor and over is utterly berserk. I reckon he could be the most naturally gifted athlete to be a pro skater we've ever seen, he seems to defy gravity.

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2022, 04:43:39 PM »
SOTY used to be picked by Phelps, regardless of what any malakas on the internet had to say about it. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess Burnett gets to call it now. He probably listens to people around him more than Phelps ever did, but the idea that the readers of Thrasher should get a say is completely contrary to the way it has always worked. I feel like even offering the online vote is just a joke.

Someone else said the whole point is really the build up, I don't know if that's entirely true, but if you don't enjoy the frenzy before it happens than there really isn't any point in engaging with it at all.

I am a whiny, bitter old man who hates everything, yet even I can see that Tyshawn is good. He's an incredible skateboarder, keeps it street as fuck, can do a bunch of shit no one else can, and seems to have a pretty fucking good time doing it. I'm glad he got it, hope he ollies up Wallenberg next year and wins it again.

I reckon he's probably not a million miles away from being able to ollie up the lloyds 3 in Bristol, could probably do tricks up the Southbank 7 as well.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2022, 04:45:38 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s just a fashion award at this point
[close]

fucking suciu won last year man be for real
Lol

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2022, 04:48:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t love the idea of giving it to a guy who already got it four years ago and hasn’t really switched up his style. I think it makes more sense to recognize one of the other skaters who are pushing the sport.
[close]

That's why I am not too stoked on this either, the guy won it already on the exact same merit which is insane pop and flip game. Why not switch things up a bit?
[close]

He switch ollied a table tho. Twice even because of GH  ;D
[close]
It’s cool but he already owned the big ollie guy lane. I mean is Thrasher going to give it him again next year when he switch flips a table or tre flips a subway gap? Maybe he’ll ollie two trash cans stacked on top of each other?

I dunno I’m biased cause I think NY skating is pretentious and boring to watch but think if they’re going to give out twice it should be to someone like Daewon who reinvented himself every video part.
[close]

it took him like 3 years of filming to come out with all that stuff. he will be milking it hard next year for sure, he probably wont step on a board again til 2024  ;D

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2022, 05:01:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t love the idea of giving it to a guy who already got it four years ago and hasn’t really switched up his style. I think it makes more sense to recognize one of the other skaters who are pushing the sport.
[close]

That's why I am not too stoked on this either, the guy won it already on the exact same merit which is insane pop and flip game. Why not switch things up a bit?
[close]

He switch ollied a table tho. Twice even because of GH  ;D
[close]
It’s cool but he already owned the big ollie guy lane. I mean is Thrasher going to give it him again next year when he switch flips a table or tre flips a subway gap? Maybe he’ll ollie two trash cans stacked on top of each other?

I dunno I’m biased cause I think NY skating is pretentious and boring to watch but think if they’re going to give out twice it should be to someone like Daewon who reinvented himself every video part.
[close]

it took him like 3 years of filming to come out with all that stuff. he will be milking it hard next year for sure, he probably wont step on a board again til 2024  ;D
[close]

Gifted Hater: See here, he's to the left of the actual bench...if we take his speed x his uni-lateral cardinal direction, account for his weight, wind and Earth axis variables, and reverse his window reflection, it's not a make.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 06:15:28 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #343 on: December 09, 2022, 05:40:32 PM »
If you've ever seen a pro skate in person it is usually really clear that they have the capacity to do things you don't see on film and often do them. Trying to claim TJ can't skate a quarterpipe is pretty fucking stupid especially since he purposefully films and pursues city center street spots.

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2022, 05:44:46 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s just a fashion award at this point
[close]

fucking suciu won last year man be for real

Yassss king 

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #345 on: December 09, 2022, 05:50:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Pretty funny that a dude who won SOTY twice probably can't do an axel stall on a 5 foot miniramp.

[close]

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -48
« Reply #346 on: December 09, 2022, 05:57:57 PM »
Plot twist.

tyshawn still wins in the fits.

Look at that smile.

2 time won't be denied.

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #347 on: December 09, 2022, 06:11:04 PM »
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 913
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2022, 06:11:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I reckon he's probably not a million miles away from being able to ollie up the lloyds 3 in Bristol, could probably do tricks up the Southbank 7 as well.

Didn’t brophy 180 up south bank like 20 years ago?

Wax Sniffer

• Rep: -311
« Reply #349 on: December 09, 2022, 06:18:42 PM »

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #350 on: December 09, 2022, 06:25:11 PM »
^It’d be wild if he did the backside flip on Tuesday and this on Thursday. I’d be hyped on some Tyshawn Post Office footy.

Surprised Supreme Chicago doesn’t have an insta or something. Still haven’t been there.

Pals meetup at the new supreme store? Im in Uptown off Wilson so its not terrible to get to.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #351 on: December 09, 2022, 06:46:04 PM »

clipped, doesn’t count and abd in 2013

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 913
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #352 on: December 09, 2022, 06:51:37 PM »
Lmao he looks like he’s in ET

justpassingthrough

• Rep: 2
« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2022, 06:53:00 PM »
Erick Winkowski for SOTY!! Not this year i guess it's too late but his part in that Emerica video helps solidify how good he is.  Here's to a new year I hope its good for every skateboarder, keep pushing and progressing.  I know its hard especially at my age and my injuries but even if it's a curb you can progress.  Now that I think of it they should make a curb skater of the year since it's been so popular in the last few which is fine its fun its skateboarding not sitting on the couch being lazy when you have time and aren't injured enough to mess around. hah sorry a bit buzzed but this is my early xmas message to everyone keep it moving, I will try.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2022, 07:18:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pals meetup at the new supreme store? Im in Uptown off Wilson so its not terrible to get to.
Im down

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2022, 07:56:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

people can have differing opinions and not like someones skating/fits/style/attitude not talking specifics to tyshawn, but having a differing opinion doesn't make someone a hater or an ignorant fuck.

Banned from the room

« Reply #356 on: December 09, 2022, 08:26:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Now we just gotta get Tiago to stop dressing like he's 45 for a few months. Bring him in for the win.
[close]

tiago must not change.

it's funny how high our expectations are for that guy. he wasn't in the soty conversation at all eve though he had longest (or maybe 2nd longest by a few seconds) part in the heaviest full length of the year (in pure skating terms) plus 4 or 5 little edits for #nb. the fact they were shot so snazzily made them feel much more like ads than anything, but if you put them back to back it makes a very decent part.

I totally forgot he's on NB#...

The 45 comment is a poor joke choice. I love that dudes skating and his attitude and stoke.
Style is insane too.

Ishod and Gary illuminated the biggest flaws with the vote in that podcast clip. They are probably 100% right.

I don't even want to know the results of vote. Way too much politicking involved. I just love skating. It's my number one passion.
 All four dudes was pretty neck and neck. No one's trusting a vote in 2022 anyhow. I trust the mag knows what's good for next year. I want them to keep this going for the rest of my life. Plz

I've been watching for a long long time and Skating is crazy in 2022. We should be stoked this still exist.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #357 on: December 09, 2022, 10:38:51 PM »

NOT MY SOTY

It would be sick if this could be pinned on every page. We see you.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
« Reply #358 on: December 09, 2022, 11:19:05 PM »
If you've ever seen a pro skate in person it is usually really clear that they have the capacity to do things you don't see on film and often do them. Trying to claim TJ can't skate a quarterpipe is pretty fucking stupid especially since he purposefully films and pursues city center street spots.

People have been saying the same thing about Shane oNeil for like 13 years it's all so silly. Even if somehow these top level skaters has never skated transition in their lives they could still figure it out in one session easy.

As far as joslin goes what does a Californian train station look like? I'm not a locals only type person but people going to ny just to jump the tracks is kinda chat just find a local one.

And yes Brophy 180 up sb steps. I think Reynolds may have too

chihuahuadad2000

• Rep: 23
« Reply #359 on: December 09, 2022, 11:28:04 PM »
This skater of the year award has gotten so ridiculous. I kinda wish it would die.