Author Topic: emerica - empower  (Read 6888 times)

ApesPissed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
emerica - empower
« on: December 09, 2022, 09:15:21 AM »

edit: one of the wildest slams i've ever seen
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:41:24 AM by ApesPissed »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3401
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: emerica - empower
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 09:22:21 AM »
I've always been horrible at skating and so I'm asking this question in all earnestness:

Is there, in 2022, a good reason for skating a board that looks like it was crafted in 1989 beyond the ironic, wacky factor? Is there an advantage? I get the bonus of glancing down and knowing which way the board should be facing, but other than that...like is there a bonus? I love switch 180's and feel like they'd suffer on a deck with a 1" nose.

And for the record, I'd kill to be able to skate a shaped deck like that. Not knocking anyone's skills here in any way.

ApesPissed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 09:41:03 AM »
I've always been horrible at skating and so I'm asking this question in all earnestness:

Is there, in 2022, a good reason for skating a board that looks like it was crafted in 1989 beyond the ironic, wacky factor? Is there an advantage? I get the bonus of glancing down and knowing which way the board should be facing, but other than that...like is there a bonus? I love switch 180's and feel like they'd suffer on a deck with a 1" nose.

And for the record, I'd kill to be able to skate a shaped deck like that. Not knocking anyone's skills here in any way.

my buddy skates huge boards with crazy shapes that he cuts out himself. He does grab tricks and handplants, boneless variations etc. So yeah I think a big board with strange dimensions can benefit someone who grabs their board a lot. Watching other people try to kickflip his board is hilarious. thing weighs a ton.

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 09:43:06 AM »
Everyone came through. That Bækkel slam made me gasp out loud. Good watch.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 09:57:00 AM »
Thank you for this Tim, what a great video. Ive been an Emerica fanboy for 20 years now, and this got me super hyped.

Kevin went nuts, what a warrior, that slam was nuts.

Congrats to everyone, and I love Spanly forever.

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 09:58:48 AM »
Chris Wimer’s part stood out for me.

Kevin Baekkel part was heavy, ender is fucked.

KDP

• Rep: 13
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 10:19:17 AM »

Without sounding like a smart arse; from the folks I know who skate them - they do because it's just fun to have an odd shape to mess with. And their tricks don't get held back by weight of their rig, etc.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 115
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 10:39:21 AM »
wimer is so fuckin sick, that gap to crook at the end was amazing

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 10:43:14 AM »

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 10:43:55 AM »
that montage section was fucking great - leabres and dickson and the music.

That Spanky footy would have made him a shoe-in for SOTY lol - but really how is he so tasteful and creative.

I'm glad winkowski exists, I like watching him skate that board.  had plans of buying one then went to the shop and had clear visions of rolling my ankle when I miss the nose - it was scary had to put the board down.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 10:47:45 AM »

That Spanky footy would have made him a shoe-in for SOTY lol - but really how is he so tasteful and creative.

liked the spanky footy but half of those were in his shoe ad part

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 430
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 10:53:10 AM »
Are those banks next to the triple set stairs Baekkel skates outside the U.S. supposed to be for wheelchair access? That would be a heavy wheelchair bomb if that's what they're for.

Irvine-Sucks.com

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1953
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 10:57:02 AM »
those radio scannings have me wondering where Chris Wimer was on January 6th  :o

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 11:04:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
liked the spanky footy but half of those were in his shoe ad part

sneaky - but that giant wallie 180 is worth another viewing.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 876
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 11:06:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Without sounding like a smart arse; from the folks I know who skate them - they do because it's just fun to have an odd shape to mess with. And their tricks don't get held back by weight of their rig, etc.
I think there can also be a slight mental element to it. If you think it feels right you'll probably skate better. I have a krooked zig zagger I feel like I can carve and slash better on it just because it's got a pointy nose and square tail but I doubt there's really much difference.

Seeing somebody jump down stairs in vulc emericas is a bit like seeing a bunch of people smoking cigs in a movie like I thought we decided it was too unhealthy and moved on past this

assvogel

• Rep: 210
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 11:15:11 AM »
Suprising amount of Bay-area punk in this  :D. First there was pretty deep cut Jawbreaker song in Wimers part and then Crimpshrine on Baekkels.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2022, 11:40:31 AM »
that slam tho....is dude still alive?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3401
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2022, 11:59:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I think there can also be a slight mental element to it. If you think it feels right you'll probably skate better. I have a krooked zig zagger I feel like I can carve and slash better on it just because it's got a pointy nose and square tail but I doubt there's really much difference.

Seeing somebody jump down stairs in vulc emericas is a bit like seeing a bunch of people smoking cigs in a movie like I thought we decided it was too unhealthy and moved on past this

Thanks for these...good responses that make me think. Honestly, I should probably give a setup like this a try because no matter what the experience is like, it couldn't make me any worse on a skateboard these days.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2022, 12:34:11 PM »
we need to talk about kevin

IpathCats

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2022, 12:39:55 PM »
I like watching dakota servold and john dixon skate, aside from them i havent been that stoked on anything emerica has put out in quite some time. This video was no different. I know people like spanky's resurgence and that hoban kid, but they just dont spark me.

IIRC winkowskis shape has some wild ass concave to it that really locks you in well. His trick selection doesn't really require a popsicle shape either.

I think most people either skate them because theyre cool/interesting, or they like wide comfy boards in general.

For what its worth, if you're admittedly horrible at skating and you're not prioritizing progression, just go get a shaped board that youre stoked on and rip it up. If you're not a super picky setup dweeb like me then you should be able to tolerate it for its lifespan, and then you can just get something else.

There are plenty with noses big enough to pop off of.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2022, 01:20:46 PM »
Winkowski with a tribute trick to himself? Pretty sure he ollied those big red tile steps at the church in downtown SD like 10 years ago.

froufroufox

• Rep: 30
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2022, 02:03:07 PM »
that was probably the best emerica video since the Made series. never really cared for winkowski but that part was really great and the sw front shuv so unexpected. also does anyone else think he kinda looks like john frusciante with his hair? wimer is the perfect combo of jon allie (loved the throwback zero spots he skated) and chris troy. kevin skates the craziest looking spots and i'm sure they're the kind that are absolutely unfathomable in person.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2022, 02:10:09 PM »
Haven’t finished yet, really liked Winkowsi’s part, but man, I’d be ok never seeing a fucking handstand/invert from him again. We get it.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2022, 02:19:55 PM »
Wimer is this generations Jon Allie

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2022, 02:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for these...good responses that make me think. Honestly, I should probably give a setup like this a try because no matter what the experience is like, it couldn't make me any worse on a skateboard these days.

I think the big shape helps in some cases for certain tricks. I probably skated a shaped board for the majority of my skating from 2001-now, albeit a later '91 shape where the nose was still bigger than the tail, around 9.25" wide. I found backside 180s and one-foot ollies way easier on a bigger board. I was never that good with tre flips but those seemed like a bit more work but also easier as the squarish tail was easier to scoop and the wider board gave a larger landing platform.

OwlGreen

• Rep: -128
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2022, 02:58:03 PM »
Braden's couple of tricks stole the show.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2022, 03:02:35 PM »
Wimer is this generations Jon Allie
except hes not an asshole.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2022, 03:11:18 PM »
I couldn't make it through this...fucking awful all around. The music, the editing, the whole vibe...some good tricks for sure but this brand is so lost. I heard someone say that Emerica is the new Dekline and that seemed spot on but I can't even remember Dekline being this bad.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2022, 03:18:24 PM »
Through out half of the video i was hoping for a short
Reynolds part. Then i remembered that he‘s on vans now.
About 5 minutes later it struck me that he‘s on NB now.

Maybe my skate trivia is not up to date.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1194
  • old and in the way
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2022, 03:56:30 PM »
Nice. Winkowski and Wimer are sick af and definitely came through with heavy parts but for me it's Baekkel who really shines in this video. His slams and makes were both equally terrifying/thrilling. I wish there was more from Dickson and Leabres but hopefully they'll have full parts in the next video. Well done Emerica.