Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 47703 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2023, 04:15:28 AM »
would he really fly to california just to hang out with gifted hater and dan corrigan?

Have you ever spent January in Vancouver?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2023, 04:46:14 AM »
Expand Quote
would he really fly to california just to hang out with gifted hater and dan corrigan?
[close]

Lol, I’m in Ohio and I fly out there just to hang out with Dan and I can’t stand him 😂

It’s cold here!

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 24
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2023, 05:25:36 AM »
After watching one of his carpentry videos I realised that the tennis court he skates is actually his private skatepark out the back of his house! Does he talk about this anywhere?

OhioGuy

« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2023, 05:27:33 AM »
After watching one of his carpentry videos I realised that the tennis court he skates is actually his private skatepark out the back of his house! Does he talk about this anywhere?
Not that I’m aware of. I always wondered why no one else is ever there besides his filmer.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2023, 05:38:08 AM »

Not that I remember, but it’s worth considering that he has half a million YouTube subscribers between his channels and I’m not sure I’d want half a million people to know where I live.

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2023, 08:58:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not that I remember, but it’s worth considering that he has half a million YouTube subscribers between his channels and I’m not sure I’d want half a million people to know where I live.

Yeah in a few of his vids ppl have asked about it in the comments and he's responded before saying he dosen't like talking about it or giving any info "out of respect to the owner and neighbors" or something along those lines. So not sure it's his, but a close buddy of his that lets him skate it whenever as long as it stays private im guessing, looks like my dream backyard, literally every obstacle I would want and a perfect mini, so jealous haha.

Badmeaningood

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2023, 12:37:50 PM »
In one of his most recent carpentry videos he shows you around his new house/workshop. When he's in the yard you can clearly see the tennis court at the bottom. He did say he's renting though. The house looks massive so that ad money must be pretty good.

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2023, 01:12:28 PM »
In one of his most recent carpentry videos he shows you around his new house/workshop. When he's in the yard you can clearly see the tennis court at the bottom. He did say he's renting though. The house looks massive so that ad money must be pretty good.

oh really? don't subscribe to his VC page but that makes more sense now- crazy he's allowed to build a skatepark in the backyard of a house he's renting tho

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2023, 01:36:00 PM »

I don't keep up on his VC videos but I sort of assumed that they bought a bigass house which needs renovation and he's doing the work himself and filming it for content. Whatever the story is, a house with a tennis court in Vancouver isn't cheap, so yeah I'd say that YouTube is paying out for him.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2023, 05:23:02 PM »
Probably a combo of YouTube ad rev from the carpentry channel and being a self employed contractor. Trades pay nice if you’re the boss and Vancouver has no shortage of people with money renovating houses.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2023, 01:01:42 PM »

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2023, 01:10:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Lol, I’m in Ohio and I fly out there just to hang out with Dan and I can’t stand him 😂

It’s cold here!

username checks out.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2023, 10:03:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah in a few of his vids ppl have asked about it in the comments and he's responded before saying he dosen't like talking about it or giving any info "out of respect to the owner and neighbors" or something along those lines. So not sure it's his, but a close buddy of his that lets him skate it whenever as long as it stays private im guessing, looks like my dream backyard, literally every obstacle I would want and a perfect mini, so jealous haha.
i found it and sent him an email about it. a big part of why he wants it private is because of the noise for the neighbors. didnt say whether or not it was his property but id assume so.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2023, 10:26:05 PM »
Nice I always wanted to know the exact dimensions of the courthouse stage ledge, was kinda curious about the normal ledges too.

Ben has some pretty good stuff in this Cornygan vid too:

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2023, 03:17:46 AM »
Nice I always wanted to know the exact dimensions of the courthouse stage ledge, was kinda curious about the normal ledges too.

Ben has some pretty good stuff in this Cornygan vid too:

Wow thanks for the recommendation I love seeing Ben skate

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2023, 04:03:43 AM »
Ben seems to be skating better than ever on his skatecation. I guess everyone just gets better when you go to California. That spot with the 3 stairs and ledges looks fun. I wish I had good tall guy style too :(

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2023, 10:58:23 AM »
My first question was how is Ben the only non-kook skate youtuber. But then it hit me that you actually have to act like a kook in order to get views from the majority of people. The average person is a fucking kook.

So the real question is, how did Ben manage to do it without acting like a kook? He has almost as many subscribers as Dan Corrigan, without all the annoying bullshit that caters to 12 year olds.

I love Ben

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2023, 11:19:00 AM »
It’s tone…….maturity….

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2023, 11:22:01 AM »
My first question was how is Ben the only non-kook skate youtuber. But then it hit me that you actually have to act like a kook in order to get views from the majority of people. The average person is a fucking kook.

So the real question is, how did Ben manage to do it without acting like a kook? He has almost as many subscribers as Dan Corrigan, without all the annoying bullshit that caters to 12 year olds.

I love Ben
He tries to convey actual info based on experimentation and an obsessive brain, which is relatable to a lot skaters, "core" or not. He also seems like a genuinely nice dude.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2023, 11:27:31 AM »

I love Ben

Ben has a smooth, easy-going charisma which is completely absent in the handful of skate YouTubers I've seen. Watching Ben is more like watching Norm Abram doing "Old Yankee Workshop" than it is spending a day with some goober in a helmet recording himself with a selfie stick.

It doesn't hurt that he actually rips and comes from a skate scene and skate culture which we all know and recognize.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2023, 01:25:29 PM »
Expand Quote

I love Ben
[close]

Ben has a smooth, easy-going charisma which is completely absent in the handful of skate YouTubers I've seen. Watching Ben is more like watching Norm Abram doing "Old Yankee Workshop" than it is spending a day with some goober in a helmet recording himself with a selfie stick.

It doesn't hurt that he actually rips and comes from a skate scene and skate culture which we all know and recognize.

Yeah, "easy going" is a good way of putting it.

Ben is older and has no delusions of thinking he is going to go pro, whereas just about every other skate YouTuber has some weird aspiration to be pro while bypassing the traditional route(s). So no need for a goofy schtick or anything. Also, watching his brother go through the industry probably disabused him of the idea that it is this cool, glamorous thing to be pro.

He really does just seem like an easygoing person who genuinely enjoys skating and bearing his (very relatable) gear madness to the world.

OhioGuy

« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2023, 02:08:21 PM »

I love Ben
Um, because he’s also a fucking kook! Just a cool one. Lol, I love Ben, but dude’s has been battling full on gear madness and documenting it to us for years. He’s just not cringe like the others, but he’s not normal. So I’m not shocked that he’s popular 😀

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2023, 06:32:32 PM »
I'm sure to some he is a kook but he lines up with what we all like so he isn't to us. He gets a little goofy sometimes but if you already like him it wouldn't be a problem. Him being a bit older I think works too because you naturally assume he knows what he's talking about (and obviously he actually does which helps lol).
I think with other youtubers this same affect happens with their teenager fanbase. I'm old enough that a couple mins of this is like wtf are you even going on about but I'm sure kids probably think it's all fact

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2023, 07:14:13 PM »
I can never get the stickers off under the baseplates of new trucks without a solvent of some kind so I'm left with the thinnest riser pads ever

If I'm setting up indoors I always clean the top of my board of all potential oils and or contaminates. It's definitely a madness but whatever. The bigger the ritual the better the experience maybe.

I never use a razor. I always grind the grip off with a metal piece or a file. That's like a red top situation. I'll use my truck if I gotta before I razor my boards.

Also I haven't seen any John Hill in a grip. What's up with him? I feel like he might be on the cusp of a midlife crisis.

Also all YouTubers are on some re set shit. Telling the origin story but in a negative context.
Negativity is trending. Beef trending. There's a war in Europe. John Hill should go back to being Terminally Positive. Or was that Dale's ingredient causing the giddy?

I fucking dislike thps. That game made a bunch of Marblehead people just stop skating. Some never came back.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 07:29:21 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2023, 06:20:17 AM »
Expand Quote

I love Ben
[close]

Ben videos work as asmr
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

OhioGuy

« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2023, 07:09:08 AM »
I'm sure to some he is a kook but he lines up with what we all like so he isn't to us. He gets a little goofy sometimes but if you already like him it wouldn't be a problem. Him being a bit older I think works too because you naturally assume he knows what he's talking about (and obviously he actually does which helps lol).
I think with other youtubers this same affect happens with their teenager fanbase. I'm old enough that a couple mins of this is like wtf are you even going on about but I'm sure kids probably think it's all fact
Title is clickbait but I kinda get what he’s trying to say. It’s good that other skaters outside of California are making moves, like it’s a huge privilege to even be able to afford to live out there.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2023, 08:47:12 AM »
It’s about time some brands give Ben some guest pro boards. Krooked could get the ball rolling.

EagleassMF

• Rep: 10
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2023, 08:56:12 AM »

John Hill moved to Southern California and NYC and never got invited to the session. He’s got some sort of inferiority complex because of it. So many of his videos are just imaginary arguments where he tries to convince himself he’s above the industry that never accepted him and his self proclaimed “pro” status.

With his fanbase aging out, he’s starting to get really desperate to get those clicks.

DakotaRed

« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2023, 09:46:08 AM »
It’s about time some brands give Ben some guest pro boards. Krooked could get the ball rolling.

weed420

• Rep: 39
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2023, 09:56:17 AM »
Expand Quote
John Hill moved to Southern California and NYC and never got invited to the session. He’s got some sort of inferiority complex because of it. So many of his videos are just imaginary arguments where he tries to convince himself he’s above the industry that never accepted him and his self proclaimed “pro” status.

With his fanbase aging out, he’s starting to get really desperate to get those clicks.
[close]

He got invited to the session, it just happened to be by a guy on a razor scooter and a guy on one of those onewheel things. He rolled up to alligator ledge with his squad one day a couple years ago when i was there and they started filming each other with a selfie stick. It was sick