Author Topic: Does it count?  (Read 2743 times)

Terminal

Does it count?
« on: December 18, 2022, 03:57:55 AM »
If a thread like this already exists, please direct me to it.

Not really sure how to frame this question, but here goes:

Does a trick count if the skater doing it is under the influence of some substance that may affect their ability positively. For example, doing tricks under the influence of depressants, stimulants, hallucigens etc.? Anything that may positively enhance said skaters reflexes, perception, nerves or similar.

Is the gravity of the trick undermined by the skater being under the influence when done? How does this compare with skaters doing similar tricks without being under the influence?

I really don't have a position on this yet but curious what others think, or if they've even considered this?

dannyprovolone

Re: Does it count?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 04:25:21 AM »
bro are you high

manysnakes

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 04:34:51 AM »
a minimum post count to start a thread sounds pretty good right now.

Terminal

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 04:40:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Easy solution, don't click on it.

manysnakes

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 04:41:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Easier solution, don't post it.

Terminal

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 04:45:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Easier solution, don't post it.
Sorry for taking those precious seconds of your life and cheers for the kook

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 05:22:22 AM »
Your question is wrong. The question should have been 'Does a trick count if the skater doing it has not style or is a kook?' The answer is a clear NO.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 05:55:59 AM »
If I learned anything this year it’s that nothing counts.

Terminal

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 05:56:44 AM »
Wow, kooked to the max!

I think they are valid questions, but I can understand how/why some might be offended. No offence was intended.

It is a sensitive topic, as some pros may have spent a significant part of their time on a board under the influence of something. And many recreational skaters enjoy to skate under the influence, which is totally fine, there is zero judgement, whatever floats your boat. Those years are long, long behind me personally.

No, what I am more interested in is elite-level skaters and their tricks, does it count, or is it comparable, if they have their edge taken off?

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 06:20:55 AM »
Did they land it? Yea? It fucking counts

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 07:13:13 AM »
It counts and you earn extra credit.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -531
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 07:21:10 AM »

Does a trick count if the skater doing it is under the influence of some substance that may affect their ability positively. For example, doing tricks under the influence of depressants, stimulants, hallucigens etc.? Anything that may positively enhance said skaters reflexes, perception, nerves or similar.

Is the gravity of the trick undermined by the skater being under the influence when done? How does this compare with skaters doing similar tricks without being under the influence?

I really don't have a position on this yet but curious what others think, or if they've even considered this?

When do you expect to make your decision?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 07:40:05 AM »

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 07:41:18 AM »
Wow, kooked to the max!

I think they are valid questions, but I can understand how/why some might be offended. No offence was intended.

It is a sensitive topic, as some pros may have spent a significant part of their time on a board under the influence of something. And many recreational skaters enjoy to skate under the influence, which is totally fine, there is zero judgement, whatever floats your boat. Those years are long, long behind me personally.

No, what I am more interested in is elite-level skaters and their tricks, does it count, or is it comparable, if they have their edge taken off?

No it just falls under “who gives a shit”. Also bud, -1 is no where near kooked to the max…

Terminal

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 07:47:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Wow, kooked to the max!

[close]

No it just falls under “who gives a shit”. Also bud, -1 is no where near kooked to the max…

Nah it was more the rate of kooking that impressed me. Fair enough with the "who gives a shit".

Terminal

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2022, 07:48:58 AM »

Terminal

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2022, 07:50:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When do you expect to make your decision?
Some time

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2022, 07:54:31 AM »
“Skating on acid is tight” - Mike Plumb

Liukang22

• Rep: -3
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2022, 08:01:12 AM »
substances will diminish the fear factor for a lot of skaters so it could be considered cheating imo. Good you re raising the issue

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2022, 08:01:25 AM »
Didn't Fred Gall say he was on mushrooms when he did the Ollie up to ledge to gap 50-50 in EE3?

I've landed a trick or two after taking a shot of whisky to kill my nerves, did it count? Well I did land it...

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2022, 08:46:09 AM »
I could see this post going down well on Reddit. All skateboard tricks landed count wether filmed or not. Substance use is like skateboarding a form of self expression much like sobriety is toone. 
 Live and let rip your fellow skate rats no questions just encouragment, unless they can hardly stand up then you confiscate their board and chill them out.

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -71
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2022, 09:06:31 AM »

It's skateboarding,  not Cooperstown dude!!

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2022, 09:15:23 AM »
Doesn’t count if you’re in the Olympics lol but fuck that

You really wanna watch baker 2g and say none of the tricks counted lol

Fred gall skating on acid is sk8 history xtrdS

Tom penny high on California weed must have been nice for him

But to answer the question tricks count when under the influence. Has any skater taken performance enhancing drugs? Biebel lol? Now that wouldn’t count imo

nothing's been the since same

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2022, 09:21:03 AM »
Yes, it counts. Even if some drugs help make people more courageous I don’t think it makes them more skilled

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -412
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2022, 09:30:26 AM »
It counts and you earn extra credit.

This is the take. Every time I watch Tommy Sandoval I think about this. There are plenty of huckers in skating but frontside flipping 18 stairs absolutely fried with white guy dreads makes him so much cooler than the average rail dude

69woodpusher69

• Rep: 3
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2022, 09:31:33 AM »
kooks gon' kook

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2022, 10:28:51 AM »
Anyone capable of producing this question automatically doesn’t get a say, so the whole thing is moot anyways
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2022, 11:02:36 AM »
all filmers should be required to have an ignition interlock device on their cameras that everyone on the session has to blow clean into before it turns on
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 03:31:08 PM by fongool »

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2022, 11:07:39 AM »
Did they land it? Yea? It fucking counts

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -531
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2022, 11:14:28 AM »
If the committee catches you, you’re done.  That said, if you don’t think those little Japanese girls are geeked out on meth and mushrooms you’re higher than they are durring the big trick section. 

If you suspect someone is high at the local spot, and it’s giving them the “winning edge” you should 100% confront them publicly.  There’s no room for cheating in this game.