Author Topic: SOLO: What’s going on with skate shops right now?  (Read 6519 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
SOLO: What’s going on with skate shops right now?
« on: February 16, 2023, 08:55:33 AM »
https://soloskatemag.com/whats-going-on-with-skateshops-right-now

Good piece about the current situation

We recently chatted with Heiko Schöller from the Concrete Wave shop in Cologne and he was suggesting to do an article about the current situation skate shops are facing cause some already had to close in the aftermath of COVID and some supposedly will, he assumed. Yeah, we said, that’s definitely an important thing to talk about, but after we started working on it, it pretty quickly turned out that it’s a bit more complex than just that. There’s not just one problem causing the situation, the effects influence everybody in the market, not just shops, and in the end, there is not even something like your typical skate shop anymore. But that only drew us deeper into the topic, so we wanted to find out more. Some of it might sound like old news, but some of it surprised us.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
Re: SOLO: What’s going on with skate shops right now?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 09:11:51 AM »
Only skimmed threw the article, will read it sober tomorrow. Do they bring up the new Polar distribution thing? Or wonder if they dropped the policy.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 09:21:05 AM »
Only skimmed threw the article, will read it sober tomorrow. Do they bring up the new Polar distribution thing? Or wonder if they dropped the policy.

nah nothing about brand x or y, it's a global look over things since Covid time

dropped the policy ? what do you mean ?

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 11:35:10 AM »
Article is quite alright for someone with limited understanding/interest of global economics like myself.

What's up with the Polar distribution thing Síota?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 11:47:39 AM »
Last I heard they switched distribution that wanted shop to pay in advance for orders (which is not the normal if you don't know).

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 12:37:30 PM »
Thanks for clarifying

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 02:36:38 PM »
Survival of the fittest is not a chill concept of the social state – rather the opposite

Sadly capitalism rules (nearly) everything around me.

You actually have some big brands that are aware of the importance of shops, which are crucial for them to build their brand image, and they do not undercut them with their sales;

I was wondering which brands are being referenced. I assume the bigger ones that do not sell direct to consumer.

...there is also a code of honor between some of the shops not to go on sale too early or too low with the prices.

This is rad. Shops looking out for another.

The internet, however, knows no boundaries and if there’s just one website where stuff has a crazy discount, it affects everybody.

True. Sometimes it's not even about price, but convenience. Wasn't there a website that let you order skate stuff online, but it was sourced through your nearest skate shop?

Oubada

• Rep: 3
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 03:04:36 PM »
The article is interesting and it's important to talk about this situation that has been affecting the skateboard industry for a year. There is nothing new and it is oriented towards Europe, but it seems to be a global problem. The economic bubble of the pandemic has burst and in general we are all suffering the consequences at our own level (outside of skateboarding, the daily life).
What is relevant in this article is the role of the skateshop in a local scene. the skateshop is not there to make money on your back but to create a dynamic and bring the transmission of our culture.
Without Small SKATESHOPS we won’t be there with our own subculture.

Go to your local skateshop, tell him how grateful you are for his involvement, go to the video premieres, try to focus more than 15 minutes without touching your phone.
buy him some Hardgoods because he doesn't eat grip tape. Stop comparing your few dollars discounted on internet that you are losing in shipping costs. Test the deck under your feet instead of an online image.
Respect the BRANDS owned and operated by skateboarders , same for SKATESHOPS, work with the right distributors.
Shut Up & Skate. We are not for Sale.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 03:06:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Survival of the fittest is not a chill concept of the social state – rather the opposite
[close]

Sadly capitalism rules (nearly) everything around me.

Expand Quote
You actually have some big brands that are aware of the importance of shops, which are crucial for them to build their brand image, and they do not undercut them with their sales;
[close]

I was wondering which brands are being referenced. I assume the bigger ones that do not sell direct to consumer.

Expand Quote
...there is also a code of honor between some of the shops not to go on sale too early or too low with the prices.
[close]

This is rad. Shops looking out for another.

Expand Quote
The internet, however, knows no boundaries and if there’s just one website where stuff has a crazy discount, it affects everybody.
[close]

True. Sometimes it's not even about price, but convenience. Wasn't there a website that let you order skate stuff online, but it was sourced through your nearest skate shop?

You might be thinking of paradeworld.com ?
It's a great website and idea. But only skateshops from the US and UK as far as I know. Been a while since I checked the site. 
IG: @flowterspace

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 03:07:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Parade World?

If so, it's not the best option. It'll charge separate shipping from each individual shop which makes the grand total huge.

IE you order a deck and a shirt, but the deck comes from one shop, while the shirt comes from another shop. There will be a shipping charge for the first shop, and a second shipping charge for the second shop. I tried to use that website to get a set of bushings and a shirt, but it wanted something like $30 in shipping.

It honestly felt way more convenient to find a local shop's website and order from there.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 42
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 06:06:05 PM »
As much as people rip on the sales, it's a good way to support smaller shops around the country and even outside. A lot of places sell out of my size almost immediately so often I have to find another shop. I've ordered from probably well over a dozen shops at this point over the last few years. I remember fondly one year I ordered a pair of Dill Snakeskin Sambas from a small shop in Utah around Christmas (which at that point was a lot of my money spent), and they sent a pack of milano cookies with it.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023, 02:33:10 AM »
Last I heard they switched distribution that wanted shop to pay in advance for orders (which is not the normal if you don't know).
ok i get your comment now.
I don't know how it is in Europe outside of France but here shops usually order stuff and pay 30, 45 or even 60 days later. This gives shops some time to sell goods before paying for them.
Mesa dist and Keen dist are money upfront and obviously in the current situation, it's way less comfortable.
I would not hate on them, it's a coping mechanism because of bad payers (partly inherited from Covid period i guess) but it's bad timing considering shops cash flow is stucked in products not moving as fast as usual.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 05:28:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't know how it is in Europe outside of France but here shops usually order stuff and pay 30, 45 or even 60 days later. This gives shops some time to sell goods before paying for them.
Mesa dist and Keen dist are money upfront and obviously in the current situation, it's way less comfortable.
I would not hate on them, it's a coping mechanism because of bad payers (partly inherited from Covid period i guess) but it's bad timing considering shops cash flow is stucked in products not moving as fast as usual.
Yeah sorry nothing at all against Polar, just I know the owner of my local was struggling with it. Sucks as Polar stuff flys off the shelf here, like the big boys sell out straight away.
30 days later is what my work does except the very large orders that need a deposit and then a validation before final payment. Bars here also do the 30 day thing.
Where in France are you anyways?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 05:50:34 AM »
i also think the classic shop model is dying. after the wave of boutique shops i think what we will see more is hybrid shops. what i mean is skateboard culture flavored shops that also sell skate stuff. it would depend on local scenes and what they are interested in. in my country in some cities scenes like skateboarding and graffiti sometimes cooperate to run a skate/graffiti store situation. skateshops turning into shops that don't only sell hardware and softgoods, but generally stuff skateboarders of the local scene are interested in. or maybe shops could form buyer's clubs to negotiate better prices. either way, skateshops need to be run smarter and the industry also needs to produce smarter. it was pretty clear that overordering during a product drought might result in stuff arriving way too late when the window to sell all that is already gone. but everyone wanted to be that shop that's got it in stock while no one else got anything. it's kind of true that shops are dead as hang outs, at least in my experience. also since many shops look a lot like supreme now, they are also often uncomfortable to hang out in, seeming more like liminal spaces than ever before. the feeling of running into the living room of a skatehouse that happens to be stocked with product you can buy is pretty much gone nowadays, for better or for worse.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2023, 08:26:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Parade World?

If so, it's not the best option. It'll charge separate shipping from each individual shop which makes the grand total huge.

IE you order a deck and a shirt, but the deck comes from one shop, while the shirt comes from another shop. There will be a shipping charge for the first shop, and a second shipping charge for the second shop. I tried to use that website to get a set of bushings and a shirt, but it wanted something like $30 in shipping.

It honestly felt way more convenient to find a local shop's website and order from there.

Yup the insane shipping ruins the thing. Cool concept too bad. I don’t order enough at a time to justify those cost when the shipping is more then what you order.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2023, 01:52:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yeah sorry nothing at all against Polar, just I know the owner of my local was struggling with it. Sucks as Polar stuff flys off the shelf here, like the big boys sell out straight away.
30 days later is what my work does except the very large orders that need a deposit and then a validation before final payment. Bars here also do the 30 day thing.
Issy les moulineaux / porte de Versailles  8)

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 02:09:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Issy les moulineaux / porte de Versailles  8)
If your ever down in Grenoble hit me up! Enjoy your Saturday the weather is class today!

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 02:55:23 AM »
Damm it, just cheched my local shop and it is gone. It seems like it continues as an onlineshop, which nearly seems impossible with a low number of followeres on social media

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2023, 05:23:56 AM »
theres a town 30 minutes from me that has a population of 30,000 people and a pure skate shop that sells nothing but skate related shit and its managed to stay open for like 8 years now.

no dunks, no online store either

i have no clue how this dude does it

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2013
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2023, 06:09:34 AM »
i also think the classic shop model is dying. after the wave of boutique shops i think what we will see more is hybrid shops. what i mean is skateboard culture flavored shops that also sell skate stuff. it would depend on local scenes and what they are interested in. in my country in some cities scenes like skateboarding and graffiti sometimes cooperate to run a skate/graffiti store situation. skateshops turning into shops that don't only sell hardware and softgoods, but generally stuff skateboarders of the local scene are interested in. or maybe shops could form buyer's clubs to negotiate better prices. either way, skateshops need to be run smarter and the industry also needs to produce smarter. it was pretty clear that overordering during a product drought might result in stuff arriving way too late when the window to sell all that is already gone. but everyone wanted to be that shop that's got it in stock while no one else got anything. it's kind of true that shops are dead as hang outs, at least in my experience. also since many shops look a lot like supreme now, they are also often uncomfortable to hang out in, seeming more like liminal spaces than ever before. the feeling of running into the living room of a skatehouse that happens to be stocked with product you can buy is pretty much gone nowadays, for better or for worse.

Especially painful as we celebrated Skate Shop Day 2023.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gunot

• Rep: 12
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2023, 06:33:18 AM »
I’d love to support local skate shops. I just wish they wouldn’t suck.

“We have the wheels you want…it‘s just another duro and 2mm bigger :)
“Oh, these shoes are similar to the ones you’re looking for. It’s just another brand and they look better in lime green anyways”
Let alone the too cool for school vibe, how expensive they are compared to online shops and let’s be real here: the newest vhs tapes, demos, signings, video premieres and events are either a thing of the past or just super rare outside the US.

Anyways, I love the romantic idea of a local skate shop. Would support via gofundme if run by nice people.

manysnakes

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2023, 06:47:16 AM »
I'm always mad that my local skate shop doesn't stock the newest VHS tapes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 07:26:34 AM by manysnakes »

Gunot

• Rep: 12
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2023, 06:51:39 AM »
I'm always mad that my local skate shop doesn't stop the newest VHS tapes.
Just as I said: it’s a thing of the past :)

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 829
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2023, 07:57:15 AM »

“Oh, these shoes are similar to the ones you’re looking for. It’s just another brand and they look better in lime green anyways”

Let alone the too cool for school vibe, how expensive they are compared to online shops and let’s be real here: the newest vhs tapes, demos, signings, video premieres and events are either a thing of the past or just super rare outside the US.

Anyways, I love the romantic idea of a local skate shop. Would support via gofundme if run by nice people.

if you read the article you would know exactly why that is

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2023, 08:14:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

if you read the article you would know exactly why that is

thehogsniper

• Rep: 42
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2023, 08:30:25 AM »

My local is a great place but the store near my old town was kind of wack. I think a big issue is barrier to entry and snootyness from a lot of store employees/owners. I worked retail for a good number of years for a higher end luxury brand and we always tried to make any customer feel as comfortable as possible, answer every question and build up relationships. Unfortunately, a lot of shops are run by people with no retail experience, and see the people who stop in as dollar signs. They just don't get it. Relationships with the locals is the only way to stay in business, especially considering the dunk craze is near dead and the economy is shrinking as a whole. I do get the feeling from a lot of shops that they don't want people to come in and hang out unless they're all friends. Not naming names but I know for a fact that some shops purposely would let their friends know about FCFS releases on Dunks so that they would all get scooped up by resellers, or they would rig raffles. Really pissed off some of the locals to have that kind of stuff happen.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2023, 10:27:14 AM »
my local has being going 30+ years but they do snowboard & surf too.  Owner was telling me the distributors are sitting on too much inventory now the covid supply issues are over......shit isn't moving.  Same as with bike shops. And he's thinks he's about to lose Bones, Powell, MiniLogo as his distributor isn't going to be carrying them......tough year ahead. 

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2023, 01:59:25 PM »
No-Comply in Austin is a great example of how to make a local shop work. The “hangout” side of things is encouraged because they also have a coffee shop inside. The hardgoods business is helped by the fact that they have a really good web store. They also have a built in clientele because they’re right next door to a major skate park. Obviously not every shop can pull these things off, but it’s worth holding up as an example. If I was about to start a business or take out a loan or something I would want to make sure I could do something similar before I took the risk.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2023, 02:16:46 PM »
Here in Canada most shops do skate and snow, which probably helps business and margins. Snowboarding is heavy on the softgoods side of things, which really helps the bottom line.

On of my favourite shops - Hustler (RIP) - was a good example of this and by all appearances did really well. Sold both skate and snow, and by the end of the year seemed to sell out of most of their snowboard items. Had good footwear offerings, despite not having a Nike or adidas account if I remember correctly.

The owner and staff working there were cool, respected in the industry and didn’t give off any weird vibes. I didn’t live local to it, but would drive 30 minutes to go a few times a year, and I’d still shop there despite working at somewhat of a competitor store. In my eyes it was the perfect shop. They closed after 25 years or so on their own terms from what I know.

crescentfresh

• Rep: 52
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2023, 04:51:19 PM »
At my (newish and only) local, the owner works the counter with a gun on his hip while his giant unleashed dog sniffs your crotch. The shrine of Jamie Thomas jesus boards brings it all together. No idea how they're going to survive this economy with these vibes, it's certainly the last place I want to be. But maybe I'm too sensitive... sigh.