Poll

trick learnin' predelictions

analytical, self-correcting
56 (66.7%)
fake it til you make it
28 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: When it comes to learning tricks, are you more:  (Read 1912 times)

goldfishboot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 147
When it comes to learning tricks, are you more:
« on: February 27, 2023, 11:43:49 AM »
I lean pretty far towards option 2. especially with more technical stuff, I am 1000 monkeys on 1000 skateboards and I assume eventually each little part will go correct if I just keep trying. Empty brain style. You?

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
Re: When it comes to learning tricks, are you more:
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 11:47:01 AM »
When it comes to new tricks I'm definitely the latter option, but once I have the trick I try to be pretty analytical about it to do them better.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 11:56:35 AM »
I've taken a more analytical approach to skateboarding and learning tricks as I've aged. I used to just fling random tricks around when I was younger and didn't put emphasis on analyzing foot placement, weight distribution, and shoulder & head position. Because of this, certain tricks would work while others didn't. I used to think that's just how it was. Since becoming more analytical, my bag of tricks has increased significantly. I wish I would have taken this approach earlier.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 11:57:53 AM »
i never try nollie heels, i tried one yesterday and almost did it first try then i tried it 20 more times and didnt even come close, im this

leafman4000

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 11:59:25 AM »
Analytical for sure. When I’m learning a new trick I film and look at every try. I probably look like a nutcase to the general public but w/e
I thought skaters were tough and got laid. Way off

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 12:08:28 PM »
I get very analytical but there are certain tricks that I eventually just decide "I'm never going to land this" and give up. Then,  on a whim, I'll give it a shot months later and be surprised at how close I'm getting.

So, in my case I'm analytical to the point of being very ponderous. I'll sometimes wonder "What would Rodney do?" But I'm aware that I can't force it because I'll just get mad and then bummed on my ability. I border on Analytical Evil/Analytical Neutral.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 12:13:23 PM »
Analytic. I feel like this is something that comes more with age. All my friends my age will nerdily talk about ‘body positioning’, ‘opening up your shoulders’ etc etc to not only do the trick but make it look better

vs

most younger kids who just throw themselves and their board at an obstacle and maybe land it once a month. 

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 12:14:50 PM »
What are these "new tricks" you speak of?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 12:19:16 PM »
Excessively analytical.
Sometimes I have to remind myself to stop overthinking and just fucking huck it.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 12:48:21 PM »
What are these "new tricks" you speak of?

Mostly this, but like others said I try to be a little more analytical in my approach as I age. Never used to think about it much when I was younger. It was either you can do this if you keep trying or you're not even getting close so move on.

I also watch an embarrassing amount of trick tip stuff these days, even for tricks I know how to do, just to see how other people do them to understand the mechanics of skateboarding more. Sometimes my mind just goes blank though and I'm out here flaling around looking like it's my first month on a skateboard.

mfweeno

• Rep: 37
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 12:55:13 PM »
Excessively analytical.
Sometimes I have to remind myself to stop overthinking and just fucking huck it.

Same here lol.

I have always been this way, but now that I have a background in personal training and biomechanics I am little more sensitive to whether my body is cooperating with tricks and can "overcoach" myself pretty hard sometimes.

If I'm getting really close to a trick, I am sometimes able to analyze the last little piece/movement I need to get right to make it work. I recall Rodney Mullen describing a similar phenomenon where everything except 1-2 parts of the trick are on "autopilot".

That being said, lately I'm trying to turn off my inner narrator so I can let my body respond more and consciously "anticipate" less. Case in point - I have been trying to engineer the "perfect" crook set up for a while, but this weekend I just focused on going fast and hitting a good approach angle and it just worked.

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 01:02:43 PM »
I think I fall under the analytical camp. I tinker with my tricks, even if I've had them for a while. I try new things to spice up old tricks all of the time. But sometimes if I hit a roadblock when learning a trick, I'll   try it switch and leave my fate up to God.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 01:18:46 PM »
I let that shit marinate.  Think about it in the shower, red lights, waiting for coffee to brew…. I invite the trick to inhabit my mind and serve it tea and hors d'oeuvres and shit.  Gotta make friends with em.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2023, 01:22:33 PM »
I never get progressively closer to landing when I try a trick, I just keep making the same mistakes until I randomly get distracted during an attempt and land the trick since I wasn't overthinking it. Either that or I slam really hard during the distraction. One smacked by head on a flat bar and got a concussion because of this
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:29:33 PM by Nancy Chin »

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2023, 01:26:21 PM »
Most of my new tricks are learned on a mini ramp these days (impact). If i can slide them out, I count them.

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 01:28:01 PM »
I just chill with my classics, none of this learning a new trick nonsense tbh.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 02:07:10 PM »
I've taken a more analytical approach to skateboarding and learning tricks as I've aged. I used to just fling random tricks around when I was younger and didn't put emphasis on analyzing foot placement, weight distribution, and shoulder & head position. Because of this, certain tricks would work while others didn't. I used to think that's just how it was. Since becoming more analytical, my bag of tricks has increased significantly. I wish I would have taken this approach earlier.
I’m curious if that’s changed now that any kid can go on YouTube and have someone explain it. I definitely remember people thinking trick tips were stupid back in the day, mostly because they were so useless.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 02:29:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’m curious if that’s changed now that any kid can go on YouTube and have someone explain it. I definitely remember people thinking trick tips were stupid back in the day, mostly because they were so useless.

"Pop, flick, catch, and ride away clean...."

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2023, 03:54:47 PM »
A bit of reason is always there unless you're a monk. Otherwise you'd ollie aiming for a crook but make coffee instead.

That being said I'm sick and tired of using reason to justify my bails, so I've been pretending I know the trick and who knows maybe I'll land it.

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2023, 04:10:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
These already existed when I was learning to skate. Most are useless but some give very helpful tips. Clint Walker's on the ride channel is how I learnt to no comply and recently this Matt Bennett one helped me finally actually slide my front nose slides. The step on your toes tip also helped me slide my front tail slides better when I inverted the logic to stepping on my heel

Trick tips for basic tricks like Ollies and kick flips were obviously the most useful as I genuinely had no idea how they were done

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2023, 04:11:15 PM »
I usually just throw myself at it and suddenly something will click through trial and error.  My body mechanics are always so horrible that analyzing the best way to do something only goes so far.  It ends up being more based on feel for me. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2023, 04:44:28 PM »
You know when you’ve bent a nail…..but just keep hammering it……that’s me trying to flip my board……

skateshaykh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2023, 08:04:31 PM »
More analytical as I age, but I'm really posting to point out the flawed survey method: the data is useless without Fred Gall as a response...it's just basic science.

When analysis becomes an excuse is the real issue for me. At a certain point, it's not more subtle weight shifts so much as flaccid commitment muscles and everyone can see it. So I also respect and envy all the huckers who let the body instruct the mind.

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2023, 02:50:15 AM »
1. I don't know how ppl figured it out back in the day before it was easy to film yourself. I usually focus on the few things I know I'm doing wrong just by watching the playback and pick them off one by one. I watch a lot of ppl doing the trick I want to learn and see what they all do in common versus what I'm doing differently that's causing me to not land a trick, or to figure out how to do it better.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 179
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2023, 03:06:33 AM »
I definitely analyse as I’ve gotten older and finding it is helping me tenfold with progression. I film myself and suss out what I’m doing wrong, watch clips of other people, slow them down and piece it all together. I’ve even gone to the point of screen grabbing clips from pros and flipping the vid over so if they’re goofy it’s now regular so I can analyse it better. A little over the top but eh it’s helping me

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2023, 03:08:32 AM »
I was trial and error as a teen, and now super analytical about it coming back in my 30s.

I've learned more tricks in the last 2 or 3 years than I ever had as a kid, so I know which method works for me.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Change foot position, change upper body position, change weight distribution, direction of flick, etc etc etc... I've had tricks not work at all for tons of tries, then moved my back foot a bit and voila, first time.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2023, 04:00:11 AM »
I've got a tried-and-true method:

1. Try a new trick
2. Film myself
3. Pinpoint what I do wrong
4. Proceed to do the wrong thing
5. Get frustrated
6. Abandon new trick and do my handful of staples instead

Works literally every time.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2023, 05:39:34 AM »
I skate way more ledges now a days so I'm definitely more analytical. It sucks sometimes because as I get older I now I factor in 'what could go wrong' which will mess with me. Once I figure the trick out and get close though, I need to keep myself distracted and let my feet do the work.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2023, 06:26:14 AM »
analytical

As a teenager I used to journal how I learned tricks. How to hold your shoulders, distribute your weight, and make note of the tendencies my own mind /body would want to do when attempting to execute a trick.
I found it so much easier to get tricks and keep tricks. Before that I would just work on a new trick and focus on it so much I would forget old tricks or get worse at them.
For me it was important to try and ride a shape I liked and not change it up too much so I could repeat and be somewhat consistent.

I would take notes on skateboarding and not do my homework.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2023, 06:44:37 AM »
Learning a new trick can be analytical for me, but I try not to think about the details too much. I'm definitely not fakin it til I make it. I need to have confidence that I can actually do the trick first. If I have the fundamentals of a trick dialed it boosts my confidence enough to combine them into a new trick. For example, I'm trying to learn nollie heel nose manny. I've gotten better at nollie nose manny over the last month or two and I have a good nollie heel. The other day at the park I practiced nollie heelflips onto the manual pad and got a few good ones. It's all about working up to it, not just flinging it until it works, which I guess is a pretty fuckin analytical way to go about learning tricks hahaha.