Author Topic: Street League on Last Legs  (Read 3350 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1366
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Street League on Last Legs
« on: March 01, 2023, 08:36:53 PM »

So like 1 event per country per year, 4 events total spread over 8 months. Did Cariuma pull out? And then no Women's Final until the final Supercrown event? That part is unclear. What does that do to prize parity? Dudes get 4 wins that pay and the Ladies get 1. So the checks are the same but it's still more opportunities to win and potentially 4 big checks. This all seems like some bullshit.

Watched again and saw that it was a pre-seated Women's Final at each stop. Shit still seems like it's outta gas.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
Re: Street League on Last Legs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 08:50:03 PM »
If you've watched the first rounds of qualifiers of the women's it makes sense if they're running short of money they would cut that (as shitty as that is to say) but only having 6 seems way too low. Unless it turns out sls was paying for flights and accommodation for all the skaters all this time which I doubt was the case anyway. 
The last 3 years have made it seem like they are just trying to cut as much fat off the event as possible to make it good for youtube viewers. Make it all one day if the qualifier vids aren't getting enough views, make it only one run and three tricks if people are turning off too fast.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1138
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 09:38:40 PM »
So are they gonna do that qualifier thing to decide the roster? Winning those helped sora Shirai and felipe mota blow up.

And they just pick 6 women now? The womens contest is way more competitive imo. It would suck it limited them.

anyway, I think I’m going to Chicago pals.

sle_epy

• Rep: -95
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 09:41:00 PM »
So are they gonna do that qualifier thing to decide the roster? Winning those helped sora Shirai and felipe mota blow up.

And they just pick 6 women now? The womens contest is way more competitive imo. It would suck it limited them.

Honestly the men are kinda all the same since apparently style isn't a factor. At least the women had some sort of variation and who will win factor?
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2278
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 09:42:41 PM »
So… the algorithm killed SLS?
RSVP Street League, I guess.
Meh. Never bothered watching; maybe I should take a little credit for its demise.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 09:59:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Honestly the men are kinda all the same since apparently style isn't a factor. At least the women had some sort of variation and who will win factor?
It's really the opposite. Ryassa won every stop momiji is always right there too. I think they realised it's really only the same 6 skaters who ever even land enough tricks required to get a proper score. It sucks but since they're turning it into a sport then sport logic applies with getting rid of the qualifiers. If you watch the first two days it's clear apart from about ten people almost all the rest don't have any chance at all of progressing to the next round whereas with the men's pretty much any of the hundred entered could potentially win on the right day.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 11:38:23 PM by Mean salto »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 11:29:48 PM »
Good lord, I couldn't make it through that terrible video. Why did P-Rod think that he should be an actor? His screen presence is worse than Borra. Instantly unlikeable.

If this is true, I'm surprised that the Olympics wasn't able to prop up this garbage.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 12:33:54 AM »
Oh no what are we gonna ever do now?

Dummklaus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 02:38:40 AM »
remember when prod talked about pursuing acting? how nice of him to show us what he learned  8)

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 02:39:42 AM »

Reclaim golf courses and turn the land into low income housing.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 04:30:13 AM »
i like watching street league but never watch the qualifiers or women's event so would feel silly commenting on those. less stops definitely sucks for how i enjoy it.

Kind of feel it's less interesting without nyjah. would like to see it get to a level where there's a handful of people who might win and it feels like it's pretty close. with the exception of yuto i'm not super interested in the people who've gotten recognition off of street league like hoefler. braden hoban seems like he could make it interesting this year and if yuto, gustavo, nyjah are there feels like it could be interesting.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 05:26:45 AM »
Thoughts & prayers

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 06:44:32 AM »

So like 1 event per country per year, 4 events total spread over 8 months. Did Cariuma pull out? And then no Women's Final until the final Supercrown event? That part is unclear. What does that do to prize parity? Dudes get 4 wins that pay and the Ladies get 1. So the checks are the same but it's still more opportunities to win and potentially 4 big checks. This all seems like some bullshit.

Watched again and saw that it was a pre-seated Women's Final at each stop. Shit still seems like it's outta gas.

*Seeded

As someone who shamelessly watches these religiously, I have pretty mixed feelings about this. I think the fact we are gonna get to see more of our favorite skaters (hopefully?) is a good thing, but i also think like hardly any of them have a shot at winning. unless they start bringing in randoms from Japan, which I kinda doubt they will do. there will need to be some sort of american sponsorship carrying that gentleman.

the knock out rounds might not work out well. I think we really have to see how they play out. they might be super un-interesting. its funny because now you have to include a run section in your final score, which is something we all wanted, but i think its actually made the run sections even more boring because no one tries anything risky. They should shorten the run section to 3 tricks instead of a time limit or something, they used to do something like this in the first season but I guess most people didnt like it.

i think it would be kind of cool to actually do something team based or special 1 on 1s (like 2 older pros, like Chris Cole vs. P-Rod, Mariano vs. Reynolds, etc)  as side events for street league just to make it a little more interesting instead of trying to change up the format so much
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 06:53:48 AM by rawbertson. »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2023, 07:11:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

*Seeded

As someone who shamelessly watches these religiously, I have pretty mixed feelings about this. I think the fact we are gonna get to see more of our favorite skaters (hopefully?) is a good thing, but i also think like hardly any of them have a shot at winning. unless they start bringing in randoms from Japan, which I kinda doubt they will do. there will need to be some sort of american sponsorship carrying that gentleman.

the knock out rounds might not work out well. I think we really have to see how they play out. they might be super un-interesting. its funny because now you have to include a run section in your final score, which is something we all wanted, but i think its actually made the run sections even more boring because no one tries anything risky. They should shorten the run section to 3 tricks instead of a time limit or something, they used to do something like this in the first season but I guess most people didnt like it.

i think it would be kind of cool to actually do something team based or special 1 on 1s (like 2 older pros, like Chris Cole vs. P-Rod, Mariano vs. Reynolds, etc)  as side events for street league just to make it a little more interesting instead of trying to change up the format so much
That plus no repeated tricks rule. Probably sounded good as an idea but it backfired hard when rather than people learning harder stuff for their single tricks they just did even easier shit in their runs

IpathCats

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2023, 08:03:28 AM »
This will surely have a huge effect on skaters around the world.

manysnakes

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2023, 08:39:46 AM »
I've never watched Street League and I have no idea how it works, but I never could understand how competitive skateboarding on that scale could possibly be profitable. I'm going to assume that it wasn't, and it was kept afloat by 25 years of artificially low interest rates.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 08:59:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

*Seeded

[close]
That plus no repeated tricks rule. Probably sounded good as an idea but it backfired hard when rather than people learning harder stuff for their single tricks they just did even easier shit in their runs
The women’s contest big sections were pretty bad when they could repeat tricks. I remember Leo won one contest by repeating everything he’d done in his run. It was way boring.

The one adjustment I’d like to see is them not requiring every high scoring trick be a handrail trick.

LukodaLurker

• Rep: 5
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 09:03:46 AM »

"dude was that switch?"

Vds

• Rep: -46
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2023, 09:36:35 AM »
I can't believe still going.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2023, 03:25:59 PM »
I've never watched Street League and I have no idea how it works, but I never could understand how competitive skateboarding on that scale could possibly be profitable. I'm going to assume that it wasn't, and it was kept afloat by 25 years of artificially low interest rates.
i have watched street league and i still don't really understand how it works or when i can actually tune in to see it. they really didn't make it easy to follow. i would love to watch a regularly scheduled skate comp series the way i can watch any other pro sports league... but SLS ain't it

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1509
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2023, 05:17:45 PM »
I’m not going to start watching now. Not my cup of tea, but different strokes, I feel bad for fans of contest skating like this.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -531
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2023, 07:44:54 PM »
Skateboarding is not where the money is at in skateboarding.

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2023, 07:53:03 PM »
Maybe they spent all their money making wack ass commercials

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2023, 08:11:53 PM »

It looks like they ran out of money while filming this commercial. Am I supposed to believe Mountain is on the tarmac loading things on to the plane? It looks like he is in a Whole Foods parking lot in Glendale.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 81
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2023, 08:24:23 PM »
So....it's still going to suck and be boring then, yeah?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2023, 08:25:36 PM »
"There's 4 exits (holds up 8 fingers). 2 in the back, 1 in the front..."

Ghost Face

• Rep: 121
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2023, 02:23:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
It looks like they ran out of money while filming this commercial. Am I supposed to believe Mountain is on the tarmac loading things on to the plane? It looks like he is in a Whole Foods parking lot in Glendale.

This is where that photo came from of all the Primitive guys in the jet, with 20ft trees hovering overhead?

edit: it's in the Dashawn on Toy Machine thread https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116402.msg3947337#msg3947337
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 02:13:56 AM by Ghost Face »
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."