Author Topic: Hvx vs hpx comparison  (Read 1554 times)

tonyhawksmanywives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Hvx vs hpx comparison
« on: March 07, 2023, 08:45:10 PM »
I have an hvx. Is the hpx worth the upgrade? Definitely looking to get an mk1 or xtremes in the future

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Re: Hvx vs hpx comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 08:48:44 AM »
i think the hvx200a (with the a) has the same sensor as the hpx and hmc150, but not the same lens as the hpx, which is slightly wider. the hmc150 is the same as the hpx too but takes sd cards and uses a lesser codec (avchd). the original hvx200 has the worst sensor and least wide lens tho. colors and lowlight just look worse. i could be wrong about the a model tho.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 11:04:15 AM »
I'm not sure about the HPX being wider, but maybe that's true?  I think one of the main benefits is the HPX did away with the MiniDV drive, so the camera is smaller and lighter.  The HPX toggle stick for navigating the menu/clips sucks in my opinion, the button system on the HVX is a lot easier to use.

If you don't already have an MK1 or Xtreme, it might make sense to upgrade the camera before getting the lens.  However, I would recommend you consider the AC160 or the HPX250, as these cameras can film 1080/60P instead of the 720P of the HVX200/HPX170.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 12:10:11 PM »
I'm not sure about the HPX being wider, but maybe that's true?  I think one of the main benefits is the HPX did away with the MiniDV drive, so the camera is smaller and lighter.  The HPX toggle stick for navigating the menu/clips sucks in my opinion, the button system on the HVX is a lot easier to use.

If you don't already have an MK1 or Xtreme, it might make sense to upgrade the camera before getting the lens.  However, I would recommend you consider the AC160 or the HPX250, as these cameras can film 1080/60P instead of the 720P of the HVX200/HPX170.
yeah you can just tell when an xtreme is on the hvx theres barely any vig, usually a little bit in 1 corner. and the ac160/hpx250 might seem like theyre better, but the whole point of an hpx is the CCD sensor. with those newer ones they use CMOS so you get the rolling shutter wobble and miss out on the look of CCD.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

pvz423

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 06:54:42 PM »
I've owned a hvx200p, hvx200a and hpx250, the hpx250 is superior due to the avcintra100 codec and bit depth, the hvx200a was a decent upgrade from the original but not even close as the upgrade to the 250. Also the auto focus seems faster on the 250 and theres less of an annoying sound from the servo while zooming like the old hvx's. Hpx250 only does 24/30 with 1080p but the AC160 does 60, although the codec/bit depth is slightly worse on the Ac160 compared to the 250. If you know how to setup your camera properly and film in good light you can create great footage with any of these mentioned cams I wouldn't stress it too much.

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 08:36:07 AM »
Interesting points mentioned in here that I did not consider regarding the AC160 or HPX250.  Sounds like the AC160 would be my pick of the two since it can do 1080/60P.  Was not aware of the sensor change from CCD to CMOS.

Between all of the options, the HPX170 might be the best pick of the litter?

I think one of those VX reseller pages on instagram can convert Xtremes to different bayos, does anyone have experience running the HVX Xtreme with a modded bay on the HPX camera? 

I believe the HVX Xtreme is larger than the HPX one, so wondering if the larger lens is wider on the HPX?

The MK1 mods seem like a really solid size and look now too on a HVX/HPX.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 09:32:04 AM »
the xtremes arent different other than im pretty sure they changed coatings over the years.

you can tell here its the stock lens that is different.

if you care about image sharpness then the cmos ones are technically sharper, if you care about more of a vx/classic look, then the hpx is what you'd want.

if you wanna widen the lens then you can do something like this.

youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 11:09:05 AM »
the xtremes arent different other than im pretty sure they changed coatings over the years.

you can tell here its the stock lens that is different.

if you care about image sharpness then the cmos ones are technically sharper, if you care about more of a vx/classic look, then the hpx is what you'd want.

if you wanna widen the lens then you can do something like this.

Oh shit that's my video lol

If you wanna know the differences this page can do it for ya hopefully.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hpx_170_evolution_brockett.html#:~:text=close%20in%20size.-,Lens,-Panasonic%20classifies%20the

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 12:02:37 PM »
I remembered I did my own test between the HVX200 and the HVX200A. Here are the photos:

HVX200:

HVX201A:

Onlybuilt4sippindrinks

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 06:03:13 AM »
I’ve been super curious about this lately too. I’ve used a hvx200a with the Xtreme for a pretty long time now and have recently been feeling like hpx footage is far superior.

From what I’ve gathered the hvx200a has a wider lens creating more vig and also more of that blue/yellow color distortion on the edges of the fisheye which has been driving me nuts lately.

Between the hvx200, hvx200a and the hpx170 the original hvx has the least vig but the worst picture quality? Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth going down to the hvx200 just because the fisheye looks better.

I recently got an adapter ring for my hvx lens that makes it mountable on an hpx but haven’t tried it yet. I’m curious if the adapter changes the look at all.

Blah blah blah anyone got any advice for making hvx200a footage look the best? I might just be overly critical of my own footage on some grass is always greener type shit.

JoeyButterfingers

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 05:03:49 AM »
So, I've had the privilege of using the HVX200, HVX200A, HPX170 & HPX171 and the HPX250.

By far the worst for picture quality and lens width is the HVX200. The A version is majorly updated with a wider lens offering much more depth to the fisheye itself.
The HPX170 AND 171 are by far the most user friendly cameras I've actually used just based on the weight. The vig is completely random between camera models and can't be helped. The 171 I used had perfect vig in all corners.

I predominantly used the HPX250 for the latest video I did, and it's true - the added width on the xtreme is absolutely outrageous, but so is the size and weight of the HPX250, but it is by far the best camera out of the bunch.

I'm currently using the HPX174 (unsure of what the "4" represents), but the quality is glorious throughout the HPX range.
The HPX250 has AVC filming formats, giving more depth and quality overall to the video itself, but the size and weight of the camera is an absolute back breaker when combined with an xtreme, rail support system and light if you're filming in low light.

Overall, I'd say use the HPX171, that seemed to be my most enjoyable camera.

christopherwalters

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
Does anyone know how the Panasonic Ag AC30 compares to the HPX170 or HMC150, I found a marketplace listing for two but haven't found anything online for that camera in terms of filming skating

Cpl593h

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 07:32:59 AM »
Does anyone know how the Panasonic Ag AC30 compares to the HPX170 or HMC150, I found a marketplace listing for two but haven't found anything online for that camera in terms of filming skating

Been using AC30 for about a year and I love it

Thejumpoff

• Rep: 4
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2023, 11:07:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you not have the steady shot off while filming fisheye? Or does the vig shake even with it turned off

Cpl593h

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2023, 01:21:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you not have the steady shot off while filming fisheye? Or does the vig shake even with it turned off

Man it’s still shaking with it turned off, probably because I have cheap opteka lens with too many spacers on it, im happy with the fit in 4:3, but not real hyped on the shaking vig,  still tweaking the setup

your_wifes_xanax

• Rep: 15
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2023, 11:24:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have the same camera with an opteka fisheye on a step up ring. But I am having issues with the fisheye being abnormally blurry in the corners when zoomed out all the way. What settings are you using to have it so in focused?

I have steady shot off, auto iris off, auto gain off, and set to manual focus

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2023, 12:39:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have the same camera with an opteka fisheye on a step up ring. But I am having issues with the fisheye being abnormally blurry in the corners when zoomed out all the way. What settings are you using to have it so in focused?

High f stop values like f5.6 give the best fisheye image in the corners. Try to close down the iris and see how it goes

your_wifes_xanax

• Rep: 15
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2023, 01:01:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

High f stop values like f5.6 give the best fisheye image in the corners. Try to close down the iris and see how it goes

Thanks! I will give it a shot this weekend. Appreciate it