Do Rails make your board last longer?

Yes
7 (21.2%)
No
14 (42.4%)
Fred Gall
12 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Do rails make your deck last longer?  (Read 492 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • What, me worry?
Do rails make your deck last longer?
« on: April 27, 2023, 10:28:15 AM »
Settle an argument: In my mind, rails prolong the life of my board, especially for the skating I do (mostly low impact/curbs/skatepark). They protect the graphic/bottom ply of my deck and I think they provide additional strength. That being said, I'm a HUGE idiot and this is mostly based on *~*ViBeS*~*

Some of my friends disagree. I also know that some people think drilling the screws into the board will weaken it. I'm mostly wondering what other peoples thoughts are.

manysnakes

Re: Do rails make your deck last longer?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 10:31:35 AM »
The strength of the skateboard comes primarily from 7 cross-laminated plies of wood. Adding two plastic braces at the outermost edge of the skateboard is not significantly contributing to the strength or longevity of a skateboard, just as the eight small holes at the edge are not in any meaningful way weakening the deck.

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 10:38:10 AM »
long time rail guy here. no.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 10:40:02 AM »
Definitely not. It can hold your bloard together after a break but screwing stuff into your bloard will always make the chances of getting that initial break higher I believe.

I wish I had some rails too. I just can't ever remember that when I have money. Also buying the plastic kinda makes me feel badly.

I should ask some of the younger homies if anyone has an old set. I'd def skate some old tummy sticks or whatever. I love orange rails. I'd trade them something cool for um if needed but I've given product to locals so I know they would not charge me probably if they got

Streebo

• Rep: -31
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 11:15:58 AM »
No but the graphic yes

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 11:30:21 PM »
rails give me that extra mental support

Bigfoot is real

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 01:54:13 AM »
As a relatively light, pj ladd/ kalis inspired skater, the wheelbase of the board has rarely if ever been the reason I retire a deck.
Razor tail and or chipped nose and tail account for 99% while 1% is just when the board is too old and has no rebound/pop left and feels unreactive - typically after skating perfect ground indoor parks or whatever garages for 5-7 months of the winter.

then again my option is invalid since I have never skated rails and never plan to, since it falls outside the realm of WWKD.