Author Topic: Origin stories, anyone? How’d ya come to SLAP?  (Read 2542 times)

Steely Daniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
Re: Origin stories, anyone? How’d ya come to SLAP?
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2023, 07:50:28 AM »
It must have been 21 years ago at least. I was in the 10th grade in computer animation class. I thought I'd like it but it turns out I fucking HATED everything about it. I was a little skate rat sponge and instead of creating some bullshit in a cracked version of 3DSMAX (lol poor school) I would lurk the white boards of slap and eventually sign up with some forgettable name as I learned the ropes. It wasn't until the grey boards that I indeed found myself and got a bit of recognition. I remember Jesse, Beans, Your Mother Hates You, robley and many others as some of the stand-out, loud-mouth controversial poster types. jsoy, monster something, big dave, this Finnish fellow and a pal from Calgary who came out to the island to visit his sister and stopped by here to hang for a couple of days were some of the cooler supportive guys on here that I am still grateful for. I remember always reading as much as I could and often getting caught. The teacher would use the system admin controls to move my cursor and close the web browser and go back to my animation project I felt nothing about. In the end, I dropped out to take physics instead

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2023, 08:47:46 AM »
I used to run a podcast with my friend some what 35 years ago for a community collage in my home town , we would interview eclectic people around the country for our show and one week I found myself up in rural Washington near the Canadian border - I was supposed to interview this kid who accidentally cut his leg off with a sword while filming a cosplay Star Wars video but just to my luck he had died hours before we were supposed to meet - annoyed with him I went to a local dive bar and in the bathroom was hanging the most intriguing post on the wall inviting anyone to come and hear this old mans stories , I figure this is my only chance to get a good story out of this boring rural town so I call up the number and agree to come meet home later that night . I arrive to this dark mansion in the woods and was greeted by and old man in a wheelchair . he greeted me with some tea and we began to converse - he told me stories of him in the war and being lost at sea and getting rescued by a walrus he called “worldsbestweedsm0ker” . I suddenly notice however my vision starting to blur as I try to make out “what’s in this stuff” I fall over and black out. I wake up in the morning to the old man looking over me - I can’t move. The old man reassured me that I had gotten a spider bite and a doctor had came and gone already and I should be regaining movement soon once the spinal wears off the doctor gave me for the pain.
As I slowly am waking up while he tells me all of this I suddenly realize my left leg has been cut off right above the knee - I scream “ my knee!! What happened to my knee!! “ the old man continued to try and comfort me but as time went on I slowly realized there was no doctor and that this old man had already trapped me in his web - I mean I already have lost a leg at this point. Anyways he goes off to who knows where and I’m left there with one leg. I did slowly regain use of my arms and I used them to try and call someone for help but right when I was about to leave a message - the old man ran up behind me - shocking me because he was now bipedal and not needing of a wheelchair. I remember laying on the ground half conscious just hearing him go “I’m so sorry mr worldsbestweedsmoker but it has to be this way” anyways I wake up after which must have been days to a new surrounding , I’m chained in a dark cement room with a pool underneath me - I look down at my body only to discover the horror that I am no longer human , my body has been dismembered and reconstructed with other peoples bodies and skin to create a man made walrus! I try to scream out “you monster !! What have you done to me “ as he stood across the room grinning butt naked only to have no words come out but a pool of blood as I realize he’s cut out my rung aswell.
Anyways after all of that the old man gave me a computer and said “hey at least you can still post on slap!” And the rest is history.
Now ive grown to love the old man as he feeds me one raw mackerel per day which keeps me happy - being a walrus is not so bad - less responsibility in life which I can appreciate. The one thing I miss is making love to my beautiful wife
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 881
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2023, 08:54:58 AM »
I loved the print version of SLAP. I even got a letter printed in it. With the advent of message boards I was mostly a lurker for a long long time. When I loved to Oregon from Wales I signed up on a PNW message board called Sleetak to meet fellow adults males tried to roll on skateboards while debating street vs transition and 'were The Clash punk?' I was also on the DLX message board which was pretty fun. I still see dudes from both those sites. SLAP always seemed super intimidating for some reason but with the DLXMB and Sleestak taking a dive I had to jump in somewhere. I was a PAL once but I have a habit of focussing my online personas all too often...

Hope to see you in the wild one day.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1420
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2023, 10:11:27 AM »
@Steely Daniel

Good to see you, bro. I was in a similar situation in school but I think it was my senior year. 02/03. Maybe still the white boards but i had a “job” in the english office at school. At this point i had transformed from a straight edge kid to smoking weed all day and would sit on that office computer, ripped out of my new to weed mind, messing around on slap. The dept systems admin person saw the history and there were some spicy slap thread titles that got my internet privileges revoked until i learned that graphic arts was where it was at for a place to silk screen and go on erowid and slap undetected for hours every day. Beans was a shit talker but I really disliked your mother hates you…

@Sleazy

Its cool to see you and the ocassional @grimcity posts. You guys were, in my young mind, cool dudes who had it halfway together and still skated when i was a young dirtbag

It was late 00/early 10s but i really appreciated hate!/luke.

@RoaryMcTwang we are all loooooosers 🥰

@Frank and Fred

The print version of slap was incredible. Ngl, when i was in gr 7, so 1997/98, my mom got me a subscription because it wasnt full of cuss words like the Thrasher mag my best friend, frank (rest in peace) brought over, and it was $7.99. Being poor with a protective mom, i lucked out because SLAP mag was the best mag to shape my younger mind and style. I got a couple letters printed in there as well! Id say that that was what propelled me to start writing as a form of expression/creative outlet. When i got back east i will have to look for those mags and screen shot some letters in.

@Lou Strux

I <3 U, dude. Before i move east I wanna come down to the city and sk9 with you. Might actually be driving across 2x this summer. Ample opportunity

@Tireeedd

You were in the early 10s SLAP boards at 10 years old? You must be pretty fucked up at 23!!!! Either that or this place scared you straight hahahaha

Keep em coming. This is beautiful
Support your local skate shop

newguy

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2023, 11:02:55 AM »
It must have been 21 years ago at least. I was in the 10th grade in computer animation class. I thought I'd like it but it turns out I fucking HATED everything about it. I was a little skate rat sponge and instead of creating some bullshit in a cracked version of 3DSMAX (lol poor school) I would lurk the white boards of slap and eventually sign up with some forgettable name as I learned the ropes.

Lmao I'm currently in uni studying 3D animation and when I'm waiting for renders to finish or I'm bored in class I browse this place, honestly don't blame ya for hating 3D you either love it or hate it

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2023, 12:36:21 PM »
If you’ve never seen cigbeer’s cock don’t talk to me

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 532
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2023, 12:51:26 PM »
When I subscribed to Thrasher, there was an insert about subscribing to SLAP, so I did, which led me to visiting slapmagazine.com. I remember when the first forums were released.

The posts on there definitely put SF on my radar. People were always talking about how much fun they had skating around the city, especially bombing the hills. That likely led to me finding my way out here permanently.

It's a trip to realize how long this place has existed.

Tireeedd

• Rep: 87
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2023, 10:31:58 PM »
@Steely Daniel

Good to see you, bro. I was in a similar situation in school but I think it was my senior year. 02/03. Maybe still the white boards but i had a “job” in the english office at school. At this point i had transformed from a straight edge kid to smoking weed all day and would sit on that office computer, ripped out of my new to weed mind, messing around on slap. The dept systems admin person saw the history and there were some spicy slap thread titles that got my internet privileges revoked until i learned that graphic arts was where it was at for a place to silk screen and go on erowid and slap undetected for hours every day. Beans was a shit talker but I really disliked your mother hates you…

@Sleazy

Its cool to see you and the ocassional @grimcity posts. You guys were, in my young mind, cool dudes who had it halfway together and still skated when i was a young dirtbag

@Frank and Fred

The print version of slap was incredible. Ngl, when i was in gr 7, so 1997/98, my mom got me a subscription because it wasnt full of cuss words like the Thrasher mag my best friend, frank (rest in peace) brought over, and it was $7.99. Being poor with a protective mom, i lucked out because SLAP mag was the best mag to shape my younger mind and style. I got a couple letters printed in there as well! Id say that that was what propelled me to start writing as a form of expression/creative outlet. When i got back east i will have to look for those mags and screen shot some letters in.

@Lou Strux

I <3 U, dude. Before i move east I wanna come down to the city and sk9 with you. Might actually be driving across 2x this summer. Ample opportunity

@Tireeedd

You were in the early 10s SLAP boards at 10 years old? You must be pretty fucked up at 23!!!! Either that or this place scared you straight hahahaha

Yeah, at 25 I've seen enough meatspin and xyz skater could fit on Krooked to last more than a lifetime

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2023, 10:54:25 PM »
If you’ve never seen cigbeer’s cock don’t talk to me
Who was it that posted their dick recently? It was pretty big

Anyway. I was on the thrasher forums as a teen then that site died. I was on toy machine blog the emerica social network also. Thrasher forums talked shit on SLAP but hey can’t beat them join them in like 2011 after lurking for a bit. Didn’t skate/post for a while now I’m back. Internet nerd.

CCDC  lolc

nothing's been the since same

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2023, 11:15:09 PM »
A mezcla of severe depression, isolation and loneliness.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2023, 10:57:38 AM »
Skateboard rumors dot com which ended Dec '04 iirc

Lot of people came when I SUCK! showed up
Another huge wave iso fully flared links (Marty posting his balls for a link - priceless)

Aim chats of late 00s were a blast. Somehow had Corey duffel and Jeremy Rogers sn's.
Place was a blast during the Perfection / Perfect Cock years. His gif of everyone eating shit logs is still floating around...

doublesteveburger

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2023, 02:16:01 PM »
who had the sig of that cute gal drinking a big bottle of champagne

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2023, 03:51:07 PM »
@Steely Daniel

@Sleazy

@Frank and Fred

@Lou Strux

@Tireeedd

Hahah slap and erowid. We would have been best friends.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2023, 07:10:39 PM »
Expand Quote
I was on skateboard.com.au back in the day and I had an account here but I only made a few posts and then forgot about it because 'sk8parx' was pretty poppin back then and I didn't have time for slap. I was searching for random skate gossip on google like a year ago and Slap came up so I checked it out again.

Did any other Australians ever post on skateboard.com.au when it had the forum? Shit was so funny, I think Dane Burman had an account plus some other notable Australian skaters.
[close]
Skateboard.com.au was like filtered slap. I think Chima talking shit on es and possibly juice and selling a bunch of es shoes is prob my first real memory and Benny bodnars spicy Thailand trip probably about when I was done with the internet for a while

Some other pretty epic stuff happened on sk8parx... Raynors stolen drawing that the con artist Belle got tattooed is still the craziest thing that happened (in my opinion)

back in the early 2000's all the older Brisbane skaters would talk about how crazy SLAP was... so I lurked (had an account)... but never posted... and also spent way more time on sk8parx as it was local...

then in 08 I forgot the password to my old account and started this one... and actually started to post...

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2023, 10:03:49 PM »
In 2006 @toque told me that Jason Dill posted on here under the name brooklyn brawler. Eventually found out it was a Canadian guy named Chris. This place was very intimidating in those YMHY and Guile days. The forums have changed a lot since then, but hey haven’t we all.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2023, 12:43:14 AM »
I grew up in New Jersey, worked at a sandwich shop, got my Masters, then co-hosted a little show called Weekend Buzz… ever heard of it?

Then something strange happened.  I encountered a cave in Newport Beach while walking my buddy’s dog.  As I attempted to leave the cave I was trapped in a dark chasm, and when I awoke I was in the body of a twenty-something North Carolina man on a golf course.

After flaking on Jenkem and the skating world at large over a claim I made, my conciousness transferred to a third body that can do nothing but post on Slap all day.  Life is good!

newguy

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2023, 02:05:36 PM »
It's a trip to realize how long this place has existed.

Ive been here for 4 years, can't imagine what it feels like for those who were here from the start, hard to imagine perusing the ol slap pages for +20 years

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -266
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2023, 08:33:27 PM »
I’ve only really ever had one mate that cared about skating as much as me, and I was just looking for like minded people to chat skating with all day.

When I joined it was during the cowboy era - Gipper, COTG, Dr Newton, I loved the insane arguments etc.. CigBeer always made me laugh, someone said earlier that this place has lost some edge, and that’s definitely true, but a shit load of the old ways of slap has aged terribly.

newguy

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2023, 09:10:14 PM »
I’ve only really ever had one mate that cared about skating as much as me, and I was just looking for like minded people to chat skating with all day.

When I joined it was during the cowboy era - Gipper, COTG, Dr Newton, I loved the insane arguments etc.. CigBeer always made me laugh, someone said earlier that this place has lost some edge, and that’s definitely true, but a shit load of the old ways of slap has aged terribly.

yeah lets not run a list of the casual slurs throw around such as "r*tard", "f**got" so on and so forth, embarassing to look back on that era tbh

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -266
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2023, 12:41:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yeah lets not run a list of the casual slurs throw around such as "r*tard", "f**got" so on and so forth, embarassing to look back on that era tbh

The language used is embarrassing, but the shit talking and back and forths is what made this place so entertaining and intriguing.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2023, 02:06:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was on skateboard.com.au back in the day and I had an account here but I only made a few posts and then forgot about it because 'sk8parx' was pretty poppin back then and I didn't have time for slap. I was searching for random skate gossip on google like a year ago and Slap came up so I checked it out again.

Did any other Australians ever post on skateboard.com.au when it had the forum? Shit was so funny, I think Dane Burman had an account plus some other notable Australian skaters.
[close]
Skateboard.com.au was like filtered slap. I think Chima talking shit on es and possibly juice and selling a bunch of es shoes is prob my first real memory and Benny bodnars spicy Thailand trip probably about when I was done with the internet for a while
[close]

Some other pretty epic stuff happened on sk8parx... Raynors stolen drawing that the con artist Belle got tattooed is still the craziest thing that happened (in my opinion)

back in the early 2000's all the older Brisbane skaters would talk about how crazy SLAP was... so I lurked (had an account)... but never posted... and also spent way more time on sk8parx as it was local...

then in 08 I forgot the password to my old account and started this one... and actually started to post...

sk8parx was a life altering site. the park directory, the forum, the videos. getting sent shit like sticker/dvd packs for adding a park or what the local shop to the skatepark was. that forum was going off til like early 2010s. it was fun.

i lurked slap for AGES before getting an account. whenever i'd mention lurking slap to friends it was like they were genuinely scared of it, to the point that they never even looked. it's always cute when someone that i skate with tells me some skate news/gossip and you've already heard it like a week or more before on slap.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

newguy

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2023, 02:18:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The language used is embarrassing, but the shit talking and back and forths is what made this place so entertaining and intriguing.

idk theres still plenty of that, maybe not to the same degree (im pretty sure posting a photograph of your private member or someone violently defecating would get you sent to the naughty corner) but its still there, actually I think its a net benefit, people have to get creative instead of pulling out the same 5 words from their pocket

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2023, 12:54:06 PM »
Broke my ankle a few years ago and found this to scratch the skate rat itch while I was recovering.  I was on r/skateboarding and was like there's gotta be something better.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2023, 01:37:14 PM »

newguy

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2023, 03:12:04 PM »
r/skateboarding

may god have mercy on the souls of any who wander there

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
  • tiger style
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2023, 02:59:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@Paul Cicero it was me that said the thing about it loosing it's edge and that's the exact era i was thinking of. it was a really fun era but i occasionally find old threads get brought back to life and get pretty embarrassed reading some of my old posts. and not just because the landscape of acceptable language has changed, going from being a late 20s skater with a girl friend just starting my career to being a 50 year old who owns a business, has 3 kids and is married is a pretty big journey.

some memorable things for me, brooklyn brawler had some big beef that was pretty entertaining, mizerk telling people "stop posting", patoon boat was probably the best fake account, really enjoyed gipper getting trigger and arguing with him about politics, child of the ghetto transition challenge, telling people to drink cum to pass a piss test, rawbutson get beat in and having a photo of him drinking a bottle changed to having an animated cock going in his mouth. that last one was mostly funny because someone took that much time for something so stupid, lol. for me going from being in college to having a professional job and constantly having to watch what you say it was refreshing to be able to state a political opinion and say stupid potentially embarrassing things without having to worry about ruining your career. i really appreciate this place for that. growing up is kind of scary and this place helped me keep one foot in the kiddie pool just like skating does.

probably a low other than loosing pals for me was seeing CigBeer take a bit of a downturn, posting heroin photos and all that. hope he found his way to greener pastures.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2023, 03:18:17 PM »
Lurked here for so long I don’t even remember what brought me in.  Feels like it’s hard to have an internet connection and an interest in skating without stumbling upon Slap.  I have far too many fried ass takes not to share them here…