Author Topic: Airing out on a launch ramp to banked landing  (Read 307 times)

masturskater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Airing out on a launch ramp to banked landing
« on: June 29, 2023, 07:55:39 PM »
Sorry, don't know how else to describe it. But my skatepark had a renovation recently and they have a pre-fab area which is basically like a skatercross inspired section with a series of coping-less launch ramps into a banked landing.

I just started getting myself into the bowl and am having fun getting comfortable with transition, learning to carve around and working my way to flying out.

I wanted to skate that pre-fab section to do some airs off the launch ramp into the bank, but I'm bitchin out. Any tips on ways to work my way into it? Wondering if a grab would help.

Thanks

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
Re: Airing out on a launch ramp to banked landing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 11:14:20 PM »
What I would do to learn how to skate such a set-up would be to say fuck it to the transfer or even the launch ramp's expected purpose in the equation and get familiar with just traversing the obstacle for a bit. No popping or jumping, just 'wallie' up the launch ramp going the speed you'd need for the transfer, ride across the platform then instantly dip into the opposite bank. That would teach me to read the textures and inclines, spot the possible traps if there are any (hole, metal plate or bolt sticking out, whatever), and mentally confirm it to me on a psychological level that yeah, I can 'clear' the transfer, 'absorb' the entire obstacle and roll away no problem which is something that is big when it comes to skating anything new and yet not many will think about doing because they're too focused on the idea of a specific trick, but that's learning the hard way; best way is to learn how to dominate the obstacle first and then specific tricks and maneuvers become technicalities (literally).

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 11:45:33 PM »
you can pump air those kinds of things. Stay over your board instead of behind it and level out. Inch your way across and try to deck check the landing. Eventually you'll just go for it. Do that enough times and you can work up some confidence to start trying some grabs. Do that enough times and you can work up the confidence to pop an ollie over it
fuck you bama

masturskater

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 04:53:55 AM »
thanks for the tips!

I am familiar with pumping and staying over my board. What do you mean by "deck check" the landing?

My initial approach was to just pump and ride through it. But the third ramp is about 6ft tall with a little bit of vert that you can't just ride through. You need some speed to get up it which will automatically launch you up. I try to kick out because I'm not confident in where and how I'll be landing, but my board sticks to my feet. I suppose I should wallie into it to keep my board planted.

It's at a point where I feel it's safer to just to air it and bail on the landing, rather than bail out at the top of the ramp or hit the ramp too slow. It just feels like a big jump in progression to try to air something I haven't even ridden through yet.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 11:26:12 AM »
thanks for the tips!

I am familiar with pumping and staying over my board. What do you mean by "deck check" the landing?

My initial approach was to just pump and ride through it. But the third ramp is about 6ft tall with a little bit of vert that you can't just ride through. You need some speed to get up it which will automatically launch you up. I try to kick out because I'm not confident in where and how I'll be landing, but my board sticks to my feet. I suppose I should wallie into it to keep my board planted.

It's at a point where I feel it's safer to just to air it and bail on the landing, rather than bail out at the top of the ramp or hit the ramp too slow. It just feels like a big jump in progression to try to air something I haven't even ridden through yet.

Deck check is to land in a rock/disaster position, usually done quickly. Think of a roll-in but you "deck check" the coping, and go in from lipslide/disaster. If the edge isn't too sharp, you can just land kinda funky and ride through. Sort of a damage control measure.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

masturskater

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 06:24:03 PM »
Expand Quote
thanks for the tips!

[close]

Deck check is to land in a rock/disaster position, usually done quickly. Think of a roll-in but you "deck check" the coping, and go in from lipslide/disaster. If the edge isn't too sharp, you can just land kinda funky and ride through. Sort of a damage control measure.
ahhh, ok. I didn't realize that's what that was called. I've been doing that for the first launch ramp. The second launch ramp is a little too steep to deck check....at least with my limited ability right now.

I've been working on flyouts out of the concrete bowl and may work may way over to this ramp section to see if I can pump through it any better. I just gotta pad up and hit it with some speed.