Author Topic: Flying with boards 2023 edition  (Read 1798 times)

usehername720

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Flying with boards 2023 edition
« on: July 15, 2023, 01:14:56 AM »
Reviving this topic cuz I haven’t seen a recent thread talking about it.

So I got a flight from SFO to Paris, with a 2 hour and 50 minute layover in Atlanta, via Delta/Virgin (Delta is partnered with Virgin under one of those airline alliances I think). I am going with 3 of my friends, and we all want to skate at least once when we’re over there. I don’t have any suitcase/bag that can fit my board, so I want to bring it as part of my carry on. What would be the best way of doing this to avoid paying any fees?

I did go to Paris last year and I only brought my trucks and wheels and bought a shop deck over there, but that resulted in me getting used to the new deck and not being able to skate the spots to my fullest ability the whole time I was skating. On top of that it was definitely a lil expensive for a shop deck. On the flight back via Delta I managed to take it home after hastily strapping it to my duffel bag with its straps. French TSA had to double check what my trucks were though before letting me on the plane, but they didn’t say anything about my deck that was loosely strapped to my bag that they had just opened. I  had a layover in Seattle too and at this point I’d given up on keeping it attached to the bag and just held the deck in my hand and the flight attendant just asked me to keep it under the seat.

I got away with it once but I don’t wanna bank on chill flight attendants again. What would be the best way to bring my board as a carryon without a fee?

trash

• Rep: 15
Re: Flying with boards 2023 edition
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 04:08:52 AM »
More often than not you can get away with having it strapped to a backpack or the underside of a duffel. But the reality is that you're at the mercy of both TSA and the gate agents.

Err on the side of caution and bring a tool in your carry-on in case they make you ditch the deck.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 05:06:31 AM »
I’ve always just had mine strapped to a backpack.

You can even get away with having it be the 2nd carryon if your backpack doesn’t have straps.

I’ve also just brought trucks and wheels and bought a new deck at a local shop or a Supreme so I only have to deal with it one way.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 03:57:08 PM »
i raveled with a complete recently, SFO>BOS and back. No issues. Kept it strapped to a duffel bag except for going thru the Xray machine and when putting it overhead. Flight attendants weren't stoked when people were trying to put stuff overhead "watch out, there's a skateboard back there," but it was all good and I got to start skating quicker in the trip as I didn't haven't to get a new deck
Support your local skate shop

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 05:47:37 AM »
I wrap my trucks, wheels, hardware and a skate tool in a plastic shopping bag and put them in my backpack under the seat and the deck goes flat in the overhead. Done it a few times to SD, Chicago and back home domestically, flight attendants have been appreciative and told me its the best way

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 06:23:01 AM »
Deck strapped to bookbag, trucks and wheels in the main pocket so they're easily accessible if TSA wants a closer look. No one paid any attention to it last time but I was flying for work early in the pandemic so it was a bunch of red-eyes and there was no bag squeeze. I took a backup deck in my checked bag just to be safe though.

Just don't stuff the shit out of your bag if you're using one a skate backpack or be prepared to potentially have to separate the deck from it to make everything fit. I left mine like 75% full and was able to slide it right into the overhead without any issues.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2023, 07:02:07 AM »
Missed opportunity for witty thread title: Boarding flights with boards. Or even better, with Flightboards.

I‘ll see myself out…
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1597
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2023, 07:28:15 AM »
I think what’s been helpful is how air travel has become a total shit show with airlines being totally short staffed, and  your average traveller now trying to cram their golf clubs in the overhead bin…..we’re getting a few more passes….

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2023, 08:23:44 AM »
It is up to the TSA agent. Pretty sure in the past they were simply allowed.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/skateboards

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2023, 10:28:31 AM »
Does TSA permit skate tools? Like a Unit Tool? I thought tools were prohibited after 9/11?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2023, 10:56:21 AM »
Does TSA permit skate tools? Like a Unit Tool? I thought tools were prohibited after 9/11?

As long as they’re in your checked bag.

I’ve had an Allen key and mini wrench confiscated at John Wayne back in ‘03.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 176
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
I always put my trucks/wheels/tool in my bag and put the deck in the overhead. Never had any issues and I fly a decent amount.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1001
  • the moon rules
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2023, 05:57:42 PM »
https://www.dcshoes.com/men%2527s-all-weather-25-l-skateboard-backpack-ADYBL03004.html

I flew to Hawaii from Los Angeles via Southwest with my board fully setup in this. Also had a skate tool, an extra pair of shoes, and some other small shit in it. I kept it under my seat and put my backpack in the overhead. No one said anything to me about it besides my homie who picked me up at the airport dead seriously asking if I brought tennis rackets with me not realizing it was a board bag
fuck you bama

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2023, 03:03:03 AM »
I’ve travelled with mine by putting it in my checked baggage (a duffel bag I was given comfortably fits a skateboard). I just wrapped it in a garbage bag and packed my clothes around it. But if I ever do it again, I think I want to try disassembling it, storing the deck in the overhead and trucks/wheels in my backpack, as stated above.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

thetrashisright

• Rep: 2
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2023, 06:36:37 AM »
I wrap my trucks, wheels, hardware and a skate tool in a plastic shopping bag and put them in my backpack under the seat and the deck goes flat in the overhead. Done it a few times to SD, Chicago and back home domestically, flight attendants have been appreciative and told me its the best way
Yeah, frankly, it seems only polite to do it this way. Can lay the board down or even against the back of the overhead space and it's not impeding other people's bags. That said, you won't get a chance at a sick viral video where you own all the normies being a piss baby.

manysnakes

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2023, 08:09:05 AM »
I absolutely never check bags and I swear that one of these bags makes your skateboard basically invisible to authorities. I've successfully stuffed my skateboard into this bag and brought it on as carry-on luggage dozens of times.

Skateboard goes into the overhead bin, and my bag goes across the deck - takes up no more space practically than my bag does. Skate tools are in there, too.

There was one instance when a TSA agent told me I wasn't supposed to bring a skateboard through, and I said "I've done it before and no one cared", and he gave me an exasperated and frustrated look and walked away.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2023, 08:15:40 AM »
Having traveled to the US and other countries, I can say that usually there is no trouble when travelling with a board as a carry on IN THE US. Now if you are travelling to or in another country I'd suggest to put the whip in your checked luggage because I've had my shit thrown out in front of me because the guys at the counter didnt say shit but the airport security wasn't having it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 08:29:11 AM by gsosa »

Streebo

• Rep: -31
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2023, 01:14:18 PM »
Why pack a board when you can just buy one at the local zumiez when you land?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2023, 07:03:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you need to check a bag to bring a tool then it seems pointless to go through the rigamarole of taking your board apart to bring it as a carryon.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2023, 04:41:38 PM »

I just flew domestically couple weeks ago and had a unit tool in my carry on bag and had no problems. When I was flying internationally a few years ago they made me throw it out.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2023, 08:58:37 PM »
ya i flew x country domestic and had my skate tool in my back back with no issues. it's luck of the draw
Support your local skate shop

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2023, 09:22:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you need to check a bag to bring a tool then it seems pointless to go through the rigamarole of taking your board apart to bring it as a carryon.

Bringing a board as carryon is easy. Worst case, a flight attendant will just place it in the flight attendant closet by first class.

If you place your board in the overhead lengthwise you should be fine.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2023, 12:37:43 PM »
I just did a trip in October to paris Italy and Germany , I flew 11 times total from Colorado to DC then abroad . I had my friend make me some “skate socks”  which were some fabric with a stretchy cord sewn in to wrap around the board and a smaller one that wrapped around both trucks . I’ve posted a photo on here somewhere . But by having the grip tape covered , and the trucks covered , I was able to just hold my board in the opposite arm that I was scanning my ticket with , and I would have my sweatshirt draped over my shoulder covering the board . I then would put it in the overhead bin behind my bag or if I have a window seat i put it under my seat . As long as no ticket agents or check in people see it , you should be good !

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2023, 05:16:58 PM »
I've flown twice domestically with my board this year using Alaska and United. Fully assembled board strapped to my bag that has straps (Nike SB RPM). No issues from TSA or the flight staff. Had enough room to put the board and backpack under my seat. I wouldn't bet on putting your board in the overhead bins as those fill up super quickly.

Took pictures to remind myself but this is the room you'll be working with. Bonus if you don't have a seat partner.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2023, 06:07:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Bringing a board as carryon is easy. Worst case, a flight attendant will just place it in the flight attendant closet by first class.

If you place your board in the overhead lengthwise you should be fine.

this is best case IMO.  last time I flew the flight attendant did this for me and it freed up my already limited space on the plane and kept my board in a relatively secure spot.  and they didnt ask me to do a kick flip.

oh no.. not again.  I tried this once and it worked well enough until the plane hit some turbulence and my board rolled out from underneath me.  everyone on the plane was pretty annoyed with me as I crawled around on my hands and knees through the aisle looking under everyones seat for my board

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2023, 09:17:36 AM »
Chiming in as an active airline employee who travels with my board. Due to social media policy’s I wont say where I work but I have always traveled with my board and tools. I have never had any issue with the silver tool in my backpack and never had any issue with tsa. Generally this isn’t something they would worry about and at most they would just ask.
If you have one other carry on bringing your board by hand will be fine and if you have two bags but one with bag straps you will be fine. I have flown hundreds of times in the last 13 years and I have never had a single issue.
This is for a normal non low cost airline. Spirit or frontier type airlines that have more stringent rules for carry on bags will probably get you jammed up

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2023, 12:13:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Believe it or not, things have changed somewhat in the last 20 years old man. The security climate was a little different a year or two after 9/11 haha.

You're fine to fly with a skate tool so long as it has no blade and is under some arbitrary length..I wanna say it's 7". It's no different than any other specialized tool that you'll find in probably 90% of people traveling for work's carryon. If some power tripping TSA agent making $15 an hour tries to give you shit about it, challenge them on it and ask to speak to a supervisor until you get one with a brain. 99.99% of the time they aren't going to care.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2023, 12:57:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Believe it or not, things have changed somewhat in the last 20 years old man. The security climate was a little different a year or two after 9/11 haha.

You're fine to fly with a skate tool so long as it has no blade and is under some arbitrary length..I wanna say it's 7". It's no different than any other specialized tool that you'll find in probably 90% of people traveling for work's carryon. If some power tripping TSA agent making $15 an hour tries to give you shit about it, challenge them on it and ask to speak to a supervisor until you get one with a brain. 99.99% of the time they aren't going to care.

True that.

Now that I think of it, I always had a skate tool buried deep in my backpack every time I’ve flown since then.

Lots of trips back and forth to Cali and a good 20 overseas trips at least.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2023, 10:36:36 AM »
I asked Lufthansa last year if I could bring my deck as a carry on (trucks and rest in bag) and the told me no. Still might risk it later this week.

davy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2023, 10:49:10 AM »
I flew with Southwest from Houston to NYC with my girl. We had our boards strapped to our backpacks. It seems like they do not care as long as it's strapped to a bag. We had our bags under the seats flying there but going back they were more strict on where we could have it.