Author Topic: Pros that retire WITH $ vs WITHOUT  (Read 7672 times)

gripittoripit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Pros that retire WITH $ vs WITHOUT
« on: July 17, 2023, 08:16:26 AM »
What % of pros you all think are able to end skating and not have to work a job vs are basically broke at the end ? Delete this thread if dumb. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 882
Re: Pros that retire WITH $ vs WITHOUT
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 08:34:35 AM »
Don't think anyone has ever stopped skating and been set up for retirement. Maybe Rodney Mullen kinda.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3420
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 09:21:45 AM »
All I know is that there are some pros who retire with money and there are some who retire without any money.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 09:34:14 AM »
Do you mean retire from being a pro skateboarder or retire in general? Cause I'm certain next to none of these guys don't have to work in some capacity after they throw in the towel professionally. The exceptions are the bigger names who've been able to get a legacy ride on bigger shoe brand etc.

TheWineClub

• Rep: 51
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 09:36:54 AM »
From the looks of it, Reynolds still desperately needs a check

Ishod and GT will probably live happily ever after when they retire

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 09:55:15 AM »
From the looks of it, Reynolds still desperately needs a check

Ishod and GT will probably live happily ever after when they retire

Do you think their contracts are that good? I would think it also depends on the way people handle their money. You can loose a lot of money quick if you don‘t know how to invest it properly. I would think few people get wealthy from skateboarding and sponsorship deals. Only If you are smart with your money you can probably make that money last for a long time.

People set for life my dumb list:

Caballero (shoe)
Janoski (shoe)
Koston? Had a very lucrative Nike deal early on. But: Do you really need to take a job with the US skateboarding association if you are set for life?
Ellington (investment in craft beer company)
PRod (Early Nike SB Deal + Investment in craft beer company)
Mullen? Dwindle is not doing so well, but he got paid selling world industries
Heath Kirchart seems to be financially independent due to some investments and living pretty modestly
Obviously Tony Hawk is doing fine even though he was almost broke once during his career.
Tim O‘Connor seems to have done well for himself, no idea how though…

dill8849

• Rep: -42
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 10:00:05 AM »
Rob Dyrdek, Colin McKay, Danny Way, Jason Lee (not sure if it counts since he obviously made his money from actin), Bob Burnquist, Greg Lutzka? Mark Appleyard.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 11:14:48 AM »
at least six. maybe twelve.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 11:42:52 AM »
You know how everyone says ‘life is too short’…..that’s like a figure of speech for most people, it’s actually really long.

I don’t think any skater is set for life, what the big boy goal is to outright own your home.  Then it gives you some security, but you still have to eat and feed your family. 

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 11:51:25 AM »
Heath kirchart socked away a bunch of money during his prime years and put it into mutual funds. When he retired he retired for real- he doesn’t have or need a job anymore.

But he’s rare. I don’t think too many other people did it this way. A few old heads still skate because they just want more money (Cab and Hawk are probably the most famous) and a few are doing it because they actually need the money (Lance). The rest have jobs now. I know a few people were making tons back in like 2002 but that didn’t last. Most of them are probably building houses or selling insurance or something now.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 11:52:17 AM »
big mommas signature models

manysnakes

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2023, 12:11:58 PM »
A few old heads still skate because they just want more money (Cab and Hawk are probably the most famous)

With obviously well-to-do skaters like Cab, Hawk and Reynolds, I do wonder how much is that they want or need the money and how much is that they are intense workaholics who don't know what they would do with themselves or who they would be were they not professional skateboarders.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 128
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2023, 12:14:40 PM »
Natas' cheques from NHS went straight to his mum, who bought property with it. He seems to be pretty much retired these days. Chillin.

Chris Miller sold his companes for decent money, and seems to retired, and chillin.

Gonz is living that apartment in New York, house in Marblehead, family life. Chillin.

manysnakes

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2023, 12:18:09 PM »
Natas' cheques from NHS went straight to his mum, who bought property with it. He seems to be pretty much retired these days. Chillin.

So this gets into how we define "retired". Retired from working or retired from pro skating? Because Natas has been a designer at Quiksilver for like 20 years now, so he's definitely working.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2023, 12:29:32 PM »
You know how everyone says ‘life is too short’…..that’s like a figure of speech for most people, it’s actually really long.

I don’t think any skater is set for life, what the big boy goal is to outright own your home.  Then it gives you some security, but you still have to eat and feed your family.

If the interest rate on your mortgage is < 3%, you’re better off just making the payments while also investing heavily vs paying aggressively towards the principal.

That compounding interest left untouched will be your best friend for life.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

fernando the skater

• Rep: 128
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2023, 12:32:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So this gets into how we define "retired". Retired from working or retired from pro skating? Because Natas has been a designer at Quiksilver for like 20 years now, so he's definitely working.

Is he still at Quicksilver? I thought he'd left. And he was working at Big Brother when he got injured in the 90s. His mum probably made him go get a job.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2023, 12:42:46 PM »
Steve Rocco's the only one who comes to mind
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2023, 12:50:38 PM »
Nyjah probably won't have to do anything after he hangs it up. But I don't see him ever really hanging it up.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2023, 01:10:55 PM »
Expand Quote
A few old heads still skate because they just want more money (Cab and Hawk are probably the most famous)
[close]

With obviously well-to-do skaters like Cab, Hawk and Reynolds, I do wonder how much is that they want or need the money and how much is that they are intense workaholics who don't know what they would do with themselves or who they would be were they not professional skateboarders.
Probably a little of both but some of Hawks questionable endorsements suggest he’s more about the money at least some of the time

aleksander

• Rep: 131
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2023, 02:13:54 PM »
At 2:09 the shermanator talks about going from rich to broke. I rewatched this thinking it would give me a laugh, but it more just pissed me off how out of touch and entitled some people are.

Then I watched the J Cassanova rap video and got my laugh though

"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2023, 02:25:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If the interest rate on your mortgage is < 3%, you’re better off just making the payments while also investing heavily vs paying aggressively towards the principal.

Investing heavily is a skill……..

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2023, 02:38:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Investing heavily is a skill……..

Throw it into an index.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2023, 02:54:39 PM »
And I’m sure if your kid was a skater and made a bunch of money you’d tell them that…..I’ve seen this done but there the majority don’t have this direction and even the ones that have made the right moves are still too young to be out of the woods……

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2023, 03:01:06 PM »
And I’m sure if your kid was a skater and made a bunch of money you’d tell them that…..I’ve seen this done but there the majority don’t have this direction and even the ones that have made the right moves are still too young to be out of the woods……

I hear you. Good to start somewhere though.

Pony_Slaystation

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2023, 03:26:12 PM »
Probably not many since there’s still a decent amount of 40+ year olds on team rosters.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2023, 03:27:02 PM »
Has any skater really been able to really retire-retire?
If you start your own company you're still very much working, running a company is actually very stressful.
You can't lay out on a beach in Morocco sipping martinis and run a successful business, at least, no skateboard company is at the level you can do that.

manuduncan

• Rep: 31
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2023, 03:29:27 PM »
what about jordan hoffart didn't black plague brewing get bought out for $$$

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2023, 03:31:41 PM »
Has any skater really been able to really retire-retire?
If you start your own company you're still very much working, running a company is actually very stressful.
You can't lay out on a beach in Morocco sipping martinis and run a successful business, at least, no skateboard company is at the level you can do that.
Heath Kirchart.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2023, 03:38:44 PM »
Jeremy Wray is living comfortably off residuals from the tower ollie.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2023, 04:38:48 PM »
Has anyone on here ever seen caleb hammer’s financial audit’s on youtube? I reckon a pro skater version would be an absolute car crash.