Author Topic: Pointy Kicks Anyone?  (Read 1031 times)

Daewons front truck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Pointy Kicks Anyone?
« on: July 21, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »
If their is a thread dedicated to this already I apologize. Anyway, I purchased a new DGK deck off of OfferUp for $25. This is the first time in my many years of skating purchasing a DGK deck. Mainly because I'm neither dirty or ghetto and I haven't been a kid in well over a decade. (Although I love the dudes on their team and they fucking shred!) It never really matched my aesthetic. But, I will purchase almost any deck for that price. First thing I noticed is how ridiculously pointy and short the nose is. I think the only other time I had such a pointy nose was an element deck in like 2004 haha. I threw some venture 5.6s and STF 53mm 103a on the board and had a decent flat session on it. Anyway, do any of you guys like pointy kicks on your deck? If so what are some of the positives and negatives that you have experienced? Why would you prefer this over having blunt kicks or really square kicks? Thanks, once again sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I'm just curious to see what the people that love that kind of board have to say. I'll try to attach pictures of the nose of my board

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
Re: Pointy Kicks Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 03:18:05 PM »
It appears the more commonly accepted usage of kicks as a colloquialism for shoes is not at play here

manysnakes

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 03:34:49 PM »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 05:39:22 PM »
It appears the more commonly accepted usage of kicks as a colloquialism for shoes is not at play here

accepted by whom? people that say ‘awesome sauce’?
maybe i’m just thinking of one former co-worker but, no thank you to that saying.
i dislike the saying enough that for a while i was typing out ‘nose/tail’ and now i’ll go back to that.

i like pointy nose/tail. looks more correct to me. better scoop, board feels crispier.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 06:17:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

maybe i’m just thinking of one former co-worker but, no thank you to that saying.
i dislike the saying enough that for a while i was typing out ‘nose/tail’ and now i’ll go back to that.

i like pointy nose/tail. looks more correct to me. better scoop, board feels crispier.

Maybe the confusion here is that it seems like OP is referring to his nose/tail as “kicks” and isn’t talking about the shape of shoes.   And that’s a strange substitution

lulz

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 06:21:48 PM »

This.

Also, this thread is not the public service announcement about which skate shoes to avoid…..🙂

Daewons front truck

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 06:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Maybe the confusion here is that it seems like OP is referring to his nose/tail as “kicks” and isn’t talking about the shape of shoes.   And that’s a strange substitution

I haven't heard anyone refer to shoes as kicks since 2004 lol. Everyone i know (most late 20s-late30s) when talking about the shape or taper of their nose and tail refer to them as kicks. I thought that was pretty self explanatory or am I crazy?  After further skating I think I prefer more of a square shape for the kicks.  Although I like the more pointy tapered shape for one thing. FS flips

Daewons front truck

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 06:40:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So upon further investigation most people use the term kicks to refer to the nose and tail of the board. Both on this site and most others you can look it up if you don't believe me. Your first comment seemed really smug for no reason.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1132
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 07:02:18 PM »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 07:08:42 PM »

So upon further investigation most people use the term kicks to refer to the nose and tail of the board.

I, too, prefer tapered nose/tail/kicks.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2023, 07:34:25 PM »
The Puigs are sorta pointy in my opinion. I haven’t skated them yet but I hear they’re pretty decent

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2023, 07:46:30 PM »
Just the other day I used the word kicks in reference to shoes. I am corny and out of touch though.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2023, 08:55:40 PM »
No not never... you should too
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1990
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2023, 09:11:18 PM »
Expand Quote

So upon further investigation most people use the term kicks to refer to the nose and tail of the board.
[close]

Yes, and you call them kicks, despite the fact they are obviously shoes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rikki

• Rep: 320
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 12:07:23 AM »
I remember when the first popsicle-ish shapes appeared back in 89 or 90, we used to call them "double kicks".
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 12:55:27 AM by rikki »

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2023, 12:11:08 AM »
I remember hearing reynolds liking a board with tapered kicks.

On the shoes side, i love the look and design of the Louie Cons, but hate how pointy the toe is. Painfully pointy.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 123
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2023, 06:31:59 AM »
I prefer square nose and tail or even a nice shapely square tail.

Prefer "tennies" to "kicks" but either will do for me.

manysnakes

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2023, 06:33:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yes, and you call them kicks, despite the fact they are obviously shoes.

“foot jawns”

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1990
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2023, 07:59:53 AM »
I remember hearing reynolds liking a board with tapered kicks.

On the shoes side, i love the look and design of the Louie Cons, but hate how pointy the toe is. Painfully pointy.
Always liked the Busenitz since the late 2000s and bought them on 4 separate occassions, only to find them painfully pointy to skate or even wear them as chillers on my wide feet. Had to go 1/2 size up but now they feel too long yet not wide enough.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m