Author Topic: Dietary supplements?  (Read 1203 times)

h00man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
Dietary supplements?
« on: January 08, 2024, 12:27:42 PM »
Anyone here take daily supplements? Especially for older skaters with our broken bodies.

Any recommendations?
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 81
Re: Dietary supplements?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 01:23:21 PM »
I don't do enough to maintain my body, but I do take magnesium glycinate supplements after dinner every night. I've noticed better recovery when it comes to joint pain and it helps me regulate my sleep a little better.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 03:11:18 PM »
I go a little overboard with the supplements. Omega 3, b complex, colostrum (saved my gut from ulcers & gastritis), chlorophyll, spirulina, irish sea moss, magnesium glycinate, beet root & tart cherry juice, creatine, resveratrol, beta carotene. Let me know if you have any questions!

h00man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 04:55:37 PM »
I go a little overboard with the supplements. Omega 3, b complex, colostrum (saved my gut from ulcers & gastritis), chlorophyll, spirulina, irish sea moss, magnesium glycinate, beet root & tart cherry juice, creatine, resveratrol, beta carotene. Let me know if you have any questions!

jfc lol. thanks!

Any brand you prefer? I'm looking at getting some simple ones at costco and stuff, but not sure if brand/kirkland ones matter.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 403
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 06:00:31 PM »
Make sure you're researching the brand and everything before you buy supplements.  There's not a whole lot of oversight on this stuff.

I take Vitmain D in the winter(1000 mcg), Magnesium Glycinate, low dose of zinc.  I break a b complex in half and take it a few times a week.  My diet is pretty good, Magnesium and Glycinate are the most important ones on that list.  Just be forewarned, magnesium can give you diarrhea when you start taking it.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 06:37:30 PM »
thanks ya'll. I've been looking into Magnesium Glycinate. Does it really help with sleep and anxiety for you?

Also, how long with the diarrhea last? 

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 06:53:02 PM »
thanks ya'll. I've been looking into Magnesium Glycinate. Does it really help with sleep and anxiety for you?

I also swear by it. It doesn’t do much for anxiety for me, but it does help me sleep a little and it makes my muscles recover faster. It never gave me diarrhea, but I take it before bed and it makes me have to drop a massive regular after my morning coffee. I also prefer the powder one you can mix into water or juice, but I’m sure the pills are fine, too.
I’m also convinced that glucosamine sulphate has been helping my joints, but I have no evidence to back it up. I’m also convinced it also made my farts chemical weapons for the first few weeks I was taking it, but that could have been unrelated.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Mr. Pickles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 10:11:07 PM »
I used to take a fuck ton of vitamins and different supplements. I cut out basically everything and now all I do is take fish oil because I don’t like to eat fish and drink a daily greens thing in the morning. I get the one from Laird. I feel the same, if not better than when I was taking everything.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 403
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 10:39:08 AM »

The diarrhea thing isn't that bad.  It's like when people say Taco Bell gives them diarrhea, it's mainly cause they get very little fiber and their body isn't used to it yet.  If you're eating semi healthy, you'll probably just wake up the next day and take a nice healthy dump.  It's hard to say how much it helps with sleep/anxiety, because I take it pretty much everyday.

Someone else mentioned Glucosamine^^^.  The research has always been shaky on that one, but my friend had a dog with killer arthritis.  It could hardly move until they started giving it glucosamine.  The dog ended up coming back to life, and was healthy and active after that.  Was it the glucosamine?  Who knows.

Some other things I do for health.  I like to keep a bag of spinach in the fridge, and just grab a handful and shove it down my throat at random times/before I leave for work.  If I'm cooking supper, I'll cook way extra of the veggies and snack on them throughout the next day.  I try to keep nut butter from Costco around, put it on a banana or something for a quick snack.  I like to keep almonds around for when I'm lazy, but don't want to binge on some processed food.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 10:52:07 AM »
I am starting to use fish oil capsules tomorrow, for Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

h00man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 03:52:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The diarrhea thing isn't that bad.  It's like when people say Taco Bell gives them diarrhea, it's mainly cause they get very little fiber and their body isn't used to it yet.  If you're eating semi healthy, you'll probably just wake up the next day and take a nice healthy dump.  It's hard to say how much it helps with sleep/anxiety, because I take it pretty much everyday.

Someone else mentioned Glucosamine^^^.  The research has always been shaky on that one, but my friend had a dog with killer arthritis.  It could hardly move until they started giving it glucosamine.  The dog ended up coming back to life, and was healthy and active after that.  Was it the glucosamine?  Who knows.

Some other things I do for health.  I like to keep a bag of spinach in the fridge, and just grab a handful and shove it down my throat at random times/before I leave for work.  If I'm cooking supper, I'll cook way extra of the veggies and snack on them throughout the next day.  I try to keep nut butter from Costco around, put it on a banana or something for a quick snack.  I like to keep almonds around for when I'm lazy, but don't want to binge on some processed food.

I tend to eat healthy I like to think. I eat fruits once a day and stuff. Sometimes I do go without though. The spinach thing is a good idea. I love eating salads and stuff but something they just get super pricey because I do eat a lot.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 03:53:07 PM »
I am starting to use fish oil capsules tomorrow, for Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.

I just purchased some as well! I believe its a necessary supplement.

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -490
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 06:15:41 AM »
If you take magnesium and get diarrhea, don’t take it because you don’t need it. Or take less. You get diarrhea when you have to much of it in your body.

I’m on a supplements trip now. Don’t know for sure if it’s worth it but I ain’t got nothing to lose (except money but that went into other unhealthy things before so I don’t mind).

AG1, D, fish oil and pre and probiotics, magnesium, kreatin. Better safe than sorry. At least my restless legs syndrome has gotten much better. Which is huge for quality of life.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 06:22:36 AM by Sick_McCrank_ »
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 06:30:05 AM »
I gotta get on the Vitamin D train.

I leave for work at 6:30am and it gets dark at 16:30 when I get off, so I'm always in the dark for a good chunk of the winter. It's been so damn gray and cloudy since late October, that even on my days off I've barely seen the sun in months.

I'm starting to feel it.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 08:17:15 AM »
If you take magnesium and get diarrhea, don’t take it because you don’t need it. Or take less. You get diarrhea when you have to much of it in your body.

I’m on a supplements trip now. Don’t know for sure if it’s worth it but I ain’t got nothing to lose (except money but that went into other unhealthy things before so I don’t mind).

AG1, D, fish oil and pre and probiotics, magnesium, kreatin. Better safe than sorry. At least my restless legs syndrome has gotten much better. Which is huge for quality of life.

Bro you on a Huberman protocol?  :D
why come?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2024, 08:31:40 AM »
Get all mine from Costco, whatever they have/is cheapest.

I take two Kirkland Omega 3s, forget the concentration, because despite loving seafood I don’t eat it enough.  One 2500IU vitamin D to fight off the SAD.  And an ultra strength 10,000IU Biotin in hopes of not losing my hair quicker than necessary, whether it works or not I have no idea. 

There’s so many other things I could/would take, but it’s an expensive rabbit hole to go down so I’m trying to scale it back.  Was taking B and Magnesium recently up until I ran out.

Sick_McCrank_

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2024, 08:31:54 AM »
Almost, even started to not drink coffee as first thing in the morning  ;D

That’s actually a good watch

https://youtu.be/Xu1FMCxoEFc?si=ZfguZe4k1Vj33mre

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2024, 10:52:22 AM »
Almost, even started to not drink coffee as first thing in the morning  ;D

That’s actually a good watch

https://youtu.be/Xu1FMCxoEFc?si=ZfguZe4k1Vj33mre

Same, yeah he has some nice content, I listen to it while running in the morning, getting sunlight on my retina  :D
why come?

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2024, 12:19:57 PM »
I often eat pretty crappy and inconsistently and lately realized that if I drink just one of those weight loss meal replacement drinks that has pretty much everything then I feel pretty great the next day

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2024, 12:25:59 PM »
Thoughts on those AG1 type products? Seems pretty expensive overall but is it worth it? I have a good diet overall but perhaps something more could help.

During the winter I’ll take zinc, vitamin C, vitamin D. And when I remember I’ll take omega 3. Sometimes I’ll take melatonin if I think I might have a tough time falling asleep or need to ensure a good rest.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2024, 04:21:10 PM »
Thoughts on those AG1 type products? Seems pretty expensive overall but is it worth it? I have a good diet overall but perhaps something more could help.

Haven't tried AG1, but I buy a few packs of TruWild Wild Greens when there's a good deal (there was a BOGO not too long ago) or if I find a good coupon.

I'm not the guy that eats the most veggies, so for me it does make a difference. I can really tell when I stop taking it or run out. I feel more awake, sharp, and feel better overall. Tastes like cucumber and mint, it was strange at first but now I really dig the taste.

Oh, and my poo's are glorious when I take it. Highly recommended.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2024, 08:36:13 PM »
I take b12 and D3 fairly regularly, a few multivitamins here and there when I feel like I haven't been eating as well as I should be

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sick_McCrank_

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2024, 03:57:12 AM »

During the winter I’ll take zinc, vitamin C, vitamin D. And when I remember I’ll take omega 3. Sometimes I’ll take melatonin if I think I might have a tough time falling asleep or need to ensure a good rest.

That stuff is probably extremely overpriced. So if you’re doing well mentally and physically I wouldn’t recommend to spend money on these things. 100 bucks a month here or 3 a day or 1200 a year…

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2024, 08:01:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That stuff is probably extremely overpriced. So if you’re doing well mentally and physically I wouldn’t recommend to spend money on these things. 100 bucks a month here or 3 a day or 1200 a year…

That’s kinda what I was thinking as well. I wouldn’t be opposed to having some on hand that I use maybe once a week or so if I’m feeling unwell or ate poorly, but I could not afford to be a daily user.

Mr. Pickles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2024, 08:58:56 PM »
Check out the Laird Daily Greens. A bag is like $50 and lasts a month. It has D and pro/prebiotics, and now I don’t have to buy either of those things anymore.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2024, 02:53:38 AM »

cant vouch for AG1 but a few years ago I was taking Amazing Grass greens powder daily for over a year and was easily the healthiest I've been in my life.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2024, 03:24:42 PM »
thanks guys! Iʻve been taking magnesium glycinate for a week now. Still havenʻt felt any effects of it (anxiety and sleep wise). Iʻll keep going til the bottles out though.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2024, 04:57:28 AM »
thanks guys! Iʻve been taking magnesium glycinate for a week now. Still havenʻt felt any effects of it (anxiety and sleep wise). Iʻll keep going til the bottles out though.

Do your muscles feel any better, though?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2024, 06:50:09 AM »
What’s the hivemind consensus on lionsmane?  Snake oil or no?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2024, 10:44:40 AM »
Creatine 💪🏼
I’m a fat Siamese cat.