Author Topic: Skaters doing the same trick after you  (Read 2726 times)

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: Skaters doing the same trick after you
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2024, 08:04:29 AM »
Expand Quote
aight so there's this euro gap at my local. it usually takes people some time to figure out how to skate it, it shoots you upwards more than forwards so it's hard to clear at first, but once you land it a few times you can start flying out that bitch. i come to the park, i usually ollie up it, then i kickflip up, then both 180 kickflips and i usually go skate the ledge afterwards. there's a kid at the park and he's trying to kickflip up it for the first time. should i not do my usual warm-ups at all? should i go straight to the 180 kickflips so that i don't do the kid's trick? or would that be considered "one-upping" the kid? nah, i'll do my usual shit as always then go skate something else. now if the kid is struggling with the kickflip and i start doing one every time he tries one, that would definitely be a wack move.
[close]

Why not push yourself and try a heelflip (or whatever) instead considering you already know you have the kickflip on lock and someone else is trying it? Personally I never do a trick that someone else is trying as there are enough tricks and obstacles to avoid doing this and it doesn’t negatively impact me at all to try something different than my usual bag. In fact I think it helps me be a better skater by trying other tricks on other obstacles. That euro sounds challenging, why not try something nollie up it, that would be sick.

If it is a relatively basic trick I think it's fair game. He's not trying to do something super specific or one up. The skatepark will always have a variety of skill levels. If it's a super specific trick or at a spot I think that's different.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2024, 08:23:41 AM »
I just think its kinda goofy to randomly copy a trick someone else is doing, to varying degrees. One-up in spite or distaste is almost always kooky. If you're that keen on being better than me, maybe show off some versatility?

Crook the box? Everyone could do one in spite of my bail, but I'd still want to feel the trick myself.

Some flip trick into a gnarly spot? Go ahead and jump in but bring a different move to the table. Don't take my pop shuv, do a cab or something.

Or if we're friends, let's say what's up, hold hands and crook the box together <3
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2024, 08:45:02 AM »
simple fix, do better tricks

Ong I got sw bs 5-0 you gerber lemme warm up without getting vibed out by a violet bum

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2024, 08:46:39 AM »
fight back against your demons. take that crook to fakie and look back at the ledge and then look him in the eyes while pushing away swongo.

DICK OUT TOO

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2024, 08:47:46 AM »
what if I do it switch since I have a weak regular crook? you big mad or is that fair game?

Then I’d be like look at that fucking backwards fool who has better switch crooks than reg crooks he probably gets 0 bitches and sleeps on a couch

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2024, 08:48:16 AM »
shoulda landed the crook then i guess homie

I landed it bro I was just abit horny

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2024, 08:51:09 AM »
Just keep a gun in your waistband and flash it at them. You're already not making friends, why not just lean in?

At that point might as well resort to gorilla caveman tactics, flip the ledge, tear your clothes off, and try to fuck them for the disrespect

Magnolia

• Rep: 462
  • She/They
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2024, 08:56:45 AM »
I think it gives off a weird vibe and can be kinda dickish. I've only done it intentionally once, when a friend and I were working on different tricks and they tried to fuck with me a little (just tossing my board around, dumb stuff like that), so I switched to trying their trick and did it first. This was last summer and they still bring it up

Edit: I mostly skate with other women and I think there's way less one-upping going on than there was when I skated with guys. There's no atmosphere of unspoken competitiveness or anything
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:09:20 AM by Magnolia »
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2024, 09:04:56 AM »
I think it depends. If I'm trying a new basicish trick and somebody does it after I fail. Its kinda nice to see how one is done. Happened recently with pivot fakies and I finally got one after seeing someone else do it. If I was trying halfcab noseslide 270 shuv  out and somebody did it, I would be pissed.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2024, 09:11:33 AM »
Don't play dumb you fucks. Homie painted a specific (and obvious) scenario for y'all and you know that shit is outta bounds.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2024, 09:13:36 AM »
I've experienced several similar situations. Once, at my regular, there was a new guy who mimicked everything I did. He'd follow behind me, doing the same things, and then just stare, seemingly waiting for my approval, but he never spoke. I got a weird vibe, so I just left and I haven't seen him since. Another time, some kids watched me struggle with a trick. Eventually, one came over and did it right in my face, as if to show me how. Thanks lil guy. I've also been on the other end..I'll find myself repeating the same few tricks until I see someone else trying something new and think, "I could do that." I'll ask if I can join in or try the trick after them if that's ok. A good way to start conversations and learn. But communication is key. Without it, you're just being dick.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2024, 09:16:50 AM »
when your trick bag consists of double flips and willy grinds, you dont have to worry about stuff like this  ;)

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2024, 10:18:14 AM »
when your trick bag consists of double flips and willy grinds, you dont have to worry about stuff like this  ;)

Such tricks have a place in the skate park as a tumour has its place within the body

Paperclip20

• Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2024, 10:33:06 AM »
Don't play dumb you fucks. Homie painted a specific (and obvious) scenario for y'all and you know that shit is outta bounds.

I'm not going to play into this guy's diary about how NYC skaters are against him. Talk to people at the spot.  Do your tricks..Make some friends..It's really not complicated.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2024, 10:37:22 AM »
i think kyota looks like donkey kong jr

AFX

• Rep: -5
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2024, 10:38:49 AM »
My favorite time this happened to me was at Love Park.
I was trying heelflip front nose on the ledge and getting super close and little ass, (at the time), Stevie Williams came up behind me and started trying the same thing. Neither of us got it though and I or anybody had no idea who he was back then. It was until many years later and I thought about and released he was trying it switch and like 3 feet tall at the time. Anyway I’m not mad at it. RIP LoVe

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 80
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2024, 10:56:45 AM »
Yeah, nah. Burning someone like that is super wack, imo. If I pull up and see someone trying what I consider a warmup, I'll try something else until they either land it or give up and move on. At the very least, I'll ask if I can try it with them so they know I'm not letting my ability on a children's toy inflate my ego.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2024, 10:59:25 AM »
&& said something about this I'm sure...

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2024, 01:14:02 PM »
Street olympics

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2024, 01:49:45 PM »
These days nearly all my tricks would be considered warm up tricks, so I don’t care at all.

For the most time of my skatelife, I’ve always been at spots, were I knew most people, so it never was much of a problem, when someone was one-upping me.

In case this nevertheless happens, I just completely ignore it. Why would I care if someone spins their toy better than I do? This macho nonsense is stupider fuck.

When I see someone struggling with a trick, I usually refrain from doing the same one, since I’m not sure how others perceive this. Sometimes, I ask, if I may join.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2024, 01:17:21 AM »
I have had this happen a bunch of times over the years and I have always regarded it as both a lack of creativity and/or enthousiasm.

"We're trying crookeds now? I have those, great!"

ollied10stairsin8thgrade

• Rep: 2
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2024, 01:48:52 AM »
never write in but good Busenitz story

Adidas team was in town and i roll up to park to see mike arnold, maite, neals bennett, busenitz amung others skating the one bank ramp i p much exclusively skate

say hello n chat, start skating bank w them and land few bs tails which silas was hyped on. next trick i try a bs noseblunt after busenitz falls on something and no way he saw i didnt land it bc his back was turned
his next try he goes for fs noeblunt, just coincedence. lands it a few tries later and as i continue to try mine he remarks 'oh youre trying the hard one'. normally id warm up w fs but didnt wanna copy tricks like OC writes. i say to him ' try a few w me!'
dude slides one like 25 feet a mach 9 4th try. I was stunned and everybody was hyped.
took me like 30 min to land mine not nearly as mindblowing but by that point they had left.

I guess it depends on if its a friendly or competitive thing but busenitz never felt weird. just like he was hyped to see me try some and wanted a piece too. I got me motivated to watch his approach and technique. I try to look at these situations as flattery bc trick selection, my trick selection in particular, for me is a pretty underated aspect of skating

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2024, 02:02:51 AM »
It can be wack if it is like a local park hero showing up (fragile egos). But basic tricks are up for everyone. It might be annoying to you but maybe try to learn some new more unique tricks..

This reminds me of how for me it's sometimes hard to skate a crowded park because you see every trick you can think of been done by some one and you don't want to be doing same shit everyone is doing. So it leaves me puzzled what could I try, sometimes it means I just look at every obstacle with a blank stare, other occasions it leads me to a new creative approach. Like skating a mini ramp I hardly do any coping dancing I'm more inclined to do big ollies and ride around grinding longer.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2024, 05:28:19 AM »
here's something you can do to combat this.  when someone does the same trick after you, just pretend like you guys are now best friend.  pretend that anything they say is the best inside joke. follow them around wherever they go.  they'll stop

Cant Fakie Flip

• Rep: 0
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2024, 07:28:58 AM »
Me and my homie do this all the time when playing each other in s.k.a.t.e.

At this point, we know what tricks both of us have good that overlap. When one of us miss setting one of
those tricks, you know the other person is doing it right behind you and then talking some shit. Will
always be funny to me.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2024, 07:46:10 AM »
dont know how i forgot this but one time Pat Duffy was at a demo and he was trying to 3 flip the pyramid flat and my friend did it before him and Pat was super hyped on it!

fuckingawesomesauce

• Rep: 11
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2024, 08:29:54 AM »
This happens a lot when I play skater xl online.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2024, 09:09:14 AM »
Happend to me once. I was annoyed and second hand embarrased. Felt that the dude was seriously pathetic to replicate my pathetic shit tricks.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2024, 09:39:35 AM »
This happened to me once when I was trying to tre down a 3 block. Some dude rolled into the park, did a few laps then did it first try right after me. Me and my buddy looked at each other and beamed the dude while cracking up. He left real shortly after that

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 17
  • fresh
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2024, 10:06:05 AM »
kyota skates like shecks when he was like 6, can do kickflips but cant pop em high. his style? wack.
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.