Author Topic: Skaters doing the same trick after you  (Read 2766 times)

switchfrontshuv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 47
Skaters doing the same trick after you
« on: January 23, 2024, 07:25:11 PM »
Dont know if this strange behaviour is just limited to tompkins or not, but has anyone ever been at a skatepark and say the "good" skaters are skating the same box as you, and say you do a crooked grind, but mess up and dont roll away.

Now if the "good" skater swoops in right after that in front of you and does a crook... Am I the only one that finds that immature? A lot of C-grade skaters in NYC do this (That Franco Macaro fucker, and kyota does this shit too, not shithed02 hes original and an amazing skater irl)..

To me its stupid as fuck because its like, cool buddy I can crook too... I've just been working hard the past few days and cant land it immediately or whatever. Ill get it next try... but now I dont even wanna do it ...

Sometimes, its so random and totally not-coincidental that I question whether the other skater is doing it in comraderie, but they ignore you the entire time they copy your tricks??

My favourite is when you attempt a trick, they try to match it and mess it up too, and you end up landing it faster than them lol. Then they just somehow move onto another trick as if they arent competing in some subconscious low-self esteem way the entire time.

Now I honestly just go skate and focus on the obstacle and my board, Im just tryna have fun not play mind games lmao

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3422
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Skaters doing the same trick after you
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 08:04:36 PM »
I’m seeing an upside to never landing anything ever.

icedancer

• Rep: -14
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 08:07:48 PM »
Lol glad I’m not the only one who thinks Kyota is a C-grade skater.
I’ve only experienced this behaviour from skate park heroes but i also don’t live in NYC.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 08:11:28 PM »
Lol glad I’m not the only one who thinks Kyota is a C-grade skater.
I’ve only experienced this behaviour from skate park heroes but i also don’t live in NYC.

Bro squats so hard for every trick it looks ungraceful

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 08:12:07 PM »
I’m seeing an upside to never landing anything ever.

at this point im just skating to waste money and waste time

Dad Board

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 08:14:51 PM »
It’s a skatepark so any basic tricks are fair game imo, it’d be different if you were trying to land a nollie flip nosegrind revert and some kid started trying it behind you with no explanation or friendly gesture. I get where you’re coming from and all but you gotta let that shit go.

I tried for a good 5 minutes just now to come up with another scenario in a different genre of expressive dance type sports and compare the two but there’s really no other activity I can think of where people are so cagey & protective over their moves and routines. We’re a unique bunch of weirdos. 

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 08:24:40 PM »
It’s a skatepark so any basic tricks are fair game imo, it’d be different if you were trying to land a nollie flip nosegrind revert and some kid started trying it behind you with no explanation or friendly gesture. I get where you’re coming from and all but you gotta let that shit go.

I tried for a good 5 minutes just now to come up with another scenario in a different genre of expressive dance type sports and compare the two but there’s really no other activity I can think of where people are so cagey & protective over their moves and routines. We’re a unique bunch of weirdos.
Yeah it’s fair game in a park. It’s not like it’s something crazy in the streets, then it’d feel like they were fucking with you.

cameronalloneword

• Rep: 3
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 09:33:49 PM »
I've never seen this happen with "the good skaters" it's always some random dude with a wrist guard, baseball cap, and fallens trying the same tricks others are trying.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 185
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 09:46:01 PM »
They're just picking up what you left behind

You should thank them

The way you explained it sounds like they know it irritates you and they get to have a fun time busting your balls. How lucky!

The only answer is to do it back at them. It would be even funnier if you had no chance landing their trick and just huck your board at the ledge

Good times

leafman4000

• Rep: 29
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 09:50:01 PM »
I've never seen this happen with "the good skaters" it's always some random dude with a wrist guard, baseball cap, and fallens trying the same tricks others are trying.

really? I see it almost exclusively happen with mid 20s cool guys. always deliberately as a massive "fuck you"

Imo its the most effective vibing technique
I thought skaters were tough and got laid. Way off

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1231
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 09:50:52 PM »
Just keep a gun in your waistband and flash it at them. You're already not making friends, why not just lean in?
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 01:27:35 AM »
What's the cut off then?
So because you were trying your crooked grind or whatever nobody else can do that for how long? Youd probably complain about someone one upping you too even tho you're only doing basic shit so I guess you just get the ledge to yourself for the whole day

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1447
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 01:56:56 AM »
What's the cut off then?
So because you were trying your crooked grind or whatever nobody else can do that for how long? Youd probably complain about someone one upping you too even tho you're only doing basic shit so I guess you just get the ledge to yourself for the whole day

You've never had someone follow you around the park doing the same tricks you were trying, then giving unsolicited advice? You're lucky
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 02:05:53 AM »
Expand Quote
What's the cut off then?
[close]

You've never had someone follow you around the park doing the same tricks you were trying, then giving unsolicited advice? You're lucky
That was directed at the whole idea not your post btw. But yeah it's never happened to me at least with somebody I didn't know or I just didn't notice so pretty lucky.
The times I've heard it come up its always like "oh that guys feebling the flatbar I was trying that before" but it's like of course if somebody skates the flatbar they're likely going to try to feeble it. (Or crooked the ledge which was the original example). I also never skate those massive parks with a range of shit so my opinion would be skewed

FUBAR

• Rep: 249
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2024, 02:39:46 AM »
Doesn’t bother me. Most of the stuff I do is a warm up to most others anyways. Hell, I’ll ask them for tips half the time and use it as motivation to land it myself. It usually works, too.

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -489
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2024, 02:40:54 AM »
A crooked on a ledge is not really rare, so someone else doing one while you’re trying is statistically not that strange. Goes for most non circus tricks. I wouldn’t take it personally but if the other person does it willfully he’s a dick.

Could also be „monkey do as monkey see“. Maybe seeing someone doing a trick might unconsciously inspire to do the same thing.
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1294
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2024, 04:50:08 AM »
imagine caring

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 830
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2024, 05:06:59 AM »
aight so there's this euro gap at my local. it usually takes people some time to figure out how to skate it, it shoots you upwards more than forwards so it's hard to clear at first, but once you land it a few times you can start flying out that bitch. i come to the park, i usually ollie up it, then i kickflip up, then both 180 kickflips and i usually go skate the ledge afterwards. there's a kid at the park and he's trying to kickflip up it for the first time. should i not do my usual warm-ups at all? should i go straight to the 180 kickflips so that i don't do the kid's trick? or would that be considered "one-upping" the kid? nah, i'll do my usual shit as always then go skate something else. now if the kid is struggling with the kickflip and i start doing one every time he tries one, that would definitely be a wack move.

left-nut

• Rep: 10
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2024, 05:09:02 AM »
This happened to me once not long after I started skating as an adult again. I guess because I still had a little kid bag of tricks and looked like I was trying too hard? Dude who was vibing me is really nice to me now that I’m better at skating, which is really lame, but whatever I guess.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2024, 05:30:53 AM »
Seems like a weird flex unless it’s someone you know and you both discussed doing the same trick in advance?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2024, 06:15:19 AM »
I feel like some of it is probably subconscious behavior, like you see something and that gives you the idea to try that thing.

Lots of skateboarding is just emulation.

Imitation is the sincerest for of flattery right?

Maybe they just think you're cool AF.

If they really are just trying to little dog you by doing your trick first/in front of you, then fuck em, they've clearly got some ego shit going on and it's not your job to help them deal with it or let it bring you down. Just disregard these people if you really think that's what's happening.

Have fun on your skateboard, time on it is not guaranteed.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 28
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2024, 06:41:24 AM »
Dont know if this strange behaviour is just limited to tompkins or not, but has anyone ever been at a skatepark and say the "good" skaters are skating the same box as you, and say you do a crooked grind, but mess up and dont roll away.

Now if the "good" skater swoops in right after that in front of you and does a crook... Am I the only one that finds that immature? A lot of C-grade skaters in NYC do this (That Franco Macaro fucker, and kyota does this shit too, not shithed02 hes original and an amazing skater irl)..

To me its stupid as fuck because its like, cool buddy I can crook too... I've just been working hard the past few days and cant land it immediately or whatever. Ill get it next try... but now I dont even wanna do it ...

Sometimes, its so random and totally not-coincidental that I question whether the other skater is doing it in comraderie, but they ignore you the entire time they copy your tricks??

My favourite is when you attempt a trick, they try to match it and mess it up too, and you end up landing it faster than them lol. Then they just somehow move onto another trick as if they arent competing in some subconscious low-self esteem way the entire time.

Now I honestly just go skate and focus on the obstacle and my board, Im just tryna have fun not play mind games lmao

In the streets - filming on a spot - I am with you.
If you fight for a kgrind - I try something else- even if the kGrind woud be my first option.
But c’mon in a skatepark- nothing matters.
If you battle the whole week for your k grind on the ledge - everyone else is forbidden to do that trick?
It’s reserved for you till you make it?

If I see someone trying  something inntje park I like to do  too - I usally ask them  - hey nice idea/  trick shoud we try together?
But I only do this if I am aware he have a good chance to get that trick before me. Not if it’s a super basic trick like a kickflip, 5.o grind or wherever

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2024, 06:43:36 AM »
simple fix, do better tricks

Crust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2024, 06:52:55 AM »

Regardless of it being intentional or not, you are giving them way too much power if it's stops your interest in doing the trick.

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2024, 07:05:23 AM »
fight back against your demons. take that crook to fakie and look back at the ledge and then look him in the eyes while pushing away swongo.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2024, 07:11:19 AM »
My trick is better anyway because i did it with my decrepit, rotting body. You could never

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2024, 07:12:49 AM »
y'all think too much

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 918
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2024, 07:22:17 AM »
Be better

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2024, 07:22:19 AM »
what if I do it switch since I have a weak regular crook? you big mad or is that fair game?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2024, 07:35:48 AM »
aight so there's this euro gap at my local. it usually takes people some time to figure out how to skate it, it shoots you upwards more than forwards so it's hard to clear at first, but once you land it a few times you can start flying out that bitch. i come to the park, i usually ollie up it, then i kickflip up, then both 180 kickflips and i usually go skate the ledge afterwards. there's a kid at the park and he's trying to kickflip up it for the first time. should i not do my usual warm-ups at all? should i go straight to the 180 kickflips so that i don't do the kid's trick? or would that be considered "one-upping" the kid? nah, i'll do my usual shit as always then go skate something else. now if the kid is struggling with the kickflip and i start doing one every time he tries one, that would definitely be a wack move.

Why not push yourself and try a heelflip (or whatever) instead considering you already know you have the kickflip on lock and someone else is trying it? Personally I never do a trick that someone else is trying as there are enough tricks and obstacles to avoid doing this and it doesn’t negatively impact me at all to try something different than my usual bag. In fact I think it helps me be a better skater by trying other tricks on other obstacles. That euro sounds challenging, why not try something nollie up it, that would be sick.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E