Author Topic: Movies that should have never had a sequel  (Read 854 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Movies that should have never had a sequel
« on: March 08, 2024, 07:58:06 AM »
The Matrix would have been a great stand alone movie. 2 and 3 were just cash grabs.

There are a lot of obvious ones like Dumb and Dumber where they didn't even get the original actors from the first one but kept the same characters. cant imagine Judge Dredd 2012 is any good but hey maybe its awesome and i didnt give it a shot  ;D

its amazing how people make a living off recycling this dog shit

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
Re: Movies that should have never had a sequel
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 08:23:46 AM »
Dredd 2012 is really good. Better than any of the Stallone ones by about 100000%

Little off premise but because of the people living off recycling comment I'll just throw out that I'm getting really annoyed of hearing the "there's no original ideas anymore" shit. It's the most overused phrase for why movies are "shit" these days (and it can't just be because everybody is overwhelmed with just how much there is now. People watch 3 new movies daily when in the 90s that was what people saw in a year)
They've been remaking/recycling shit since about ten years after the invention of cinema. Just off the top of my head the 90s had adams family, Brady bunch, Flintstones, car 54, batman, Godzilla, mission impossible, the phantom, starship troopers which is just all shit from the 60s. And it's the same for every decade even original ideas are usually just new versions of shit we already had. Tarantino just added extra violence etc.

Anyway back to bad sequels probably anything about a killer shark.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 08:41:20 AM »
Oh shit and maybe avatar. Haven't seen the second one yet but I don't see how it could have anywhere near the effect the original had. Not saying it was a good movie but how fucking massive it was gets downplayed a lot.
I can't think of any other franchise that had the lines around the block for as long as avatar did. It was also really good timing with TVs going digital, blu rays coming out and people having good enough internet that turning a lounge room into kind of a home cinema became very common and owning avatar on blu ray was basically mandatory

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 09:25:36 AM »
Oh shit and maybe avatar. Haven't seen the second one yet but I don't see how it could have anywhere near the effect the original had. Not saying it was a good movie but how fucking massive it was gets downplayed a lot.
I can't think of any other franchise that had the lines around the block for as long as avatar did. It was also really good timing with TVs going digital, blu rays coming out and people having good enough internet that turning a lounge room into kind of a home cinema became very common and owning avatar on blu ray was basically mandatory

That’s funny you say that because Avatar on Blu-ray (like gravity) was never vital to me bc of the lack of 3-D

It’s a bad bet to ever underestimate James Cameron.  Man was making Aliens and T2 when sequels were seen as a joke and his last three movies were billion dollar movies that (at least two) were the highest grossing movie of all times.   For Avatar 2 to outdo the first one after a decade of people talking shit was almost the most impressive thing he’s done.   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 09:31:11 AM »
The Matrix would have been a great stand alone movie. 2 and 3 were just cash grabs.

There are a lot of obvious ones like Dumb and Dumber where they didn't even get the original actors from the first one but kept the same characters. cant imagine Judge Dredd 2012 is any good but hey maybe its awesome and i didnt give it a shot  ;D

its amazing how people make a living off recycling this dog shit

Matrix 2 and 3 weren’t cash grabs.   Just because you didn’t like the story the Wachoskis told (which is me for Matrix 4) doesn’t mean they were craven/artless experiences.    They had some great fucking fight scenes that wouldn’t be hard to do if your heart wasn’t into it. 

The middle Dumb and Dumber movie was a prequel (When Harry Met Lloyd) - hard to get the cast back for the that.   The most recent one was a sequel and had the original cast back

Newest Dredd was a reboot, not a sequel and was very good. 

As has been expressed already - movie execs are making choices off of what the audience goes to see.   Want original big budget movies?   Go see The Creator or other often ignored movies like that.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 09:59:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s funny you say that because Avatar on Blu-ray (like gravity) was never vital to me bc of the lack of 3-D

It’s a bad bet to ever underestimate James Cameron.  Man was making Aliens and T2 when sequels were seen as a joke and his last three movies were billion dollar movies that (at least two) were the highest grossing movie of all times.   For Avatar 2 to outdo the first one after a decade of people talking shit was almost the most impressive thing he’s done.
People showing off by having avatar in 3D at home was def a thing here. Don't see how it could compare but people did it.
If Cameron pulled it off good on him especially when people are going to cinema way less.

Im doing better at thinking of sequels that should be made than ones that shouldn't have. Do a new final destination and Pacific rim

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 10:16:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
People showing off by having avatar in 3D at home was def a thing here. Don't see how it could compare but people did it.
If Cameron pulled it off good on him especially when people are going to cinema way less.

Im doing better at thinking of sequels that should be made than ones that shouldn't have. Do a new final destination and Pacific rim

I don’t disagree about Pacific Rim, but I worry without that GDT X factor it’ll be like the last.    I also think KongZilla is sucking a lot of the kaiju air out of the cinema

Now that you mention it, shocked Paranormal Activity hasn’t been touched in a bit.   Easy enough to execute for streaming too

The weirdest sequel being announcdd is The Accountant 2 which is one of those shows that’s been on cable out here so much (usually playing before or after a basketball game) that execs figured theres worth in it.   

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 10:27:47 AM »
In The Player buck Henry is pitching the Graduate 2 to Tim Robbins character and 13 years later Rumor Has It comes out. What a let down. A Graduate 2 could have been an iconic movie if made in the same spirit as the first but it wasn’t good enough to even reference the characters from the first movie.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1133
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 01:25:19 PM »
I didn't enjoy "Kick Ass 2" as much as the first one.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 01:32:27 PM »
I didn't enjoy "Kick Ass 2" as much as the first one.

Yessss.   Losing Matthew Vaughn didn’t help

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 64
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 04:19:51 PM »
Skate:

Sorry (Really Sorry and Extremely Sorry didn't have the same vibe. And there could have been other ways to get PJ's part out)
Cherry (ideal scenario: Strobeck gets rightfully congratulated with a great vid during the release party, but gets the boot the next morning, to avoid him taking his bullshit further than necessairy. Supreme then hires an entirely new production team for subsequent vids, with the specific instruction to not copy Cherry)
Yeah Right (Pretty Sweet was a disappointment. I don't count Fully Flared as its sequel)

Non-skate:

Trainspotting
Karate Kid
Home Alone 2
The Exorcist
Speed
Star Wars, Return of the Jedi (they should've left it with episode 4, 5 and 6; it would've added to the legend, secured its cult status forever, and gone down so well in cinema folklore)

I never knew there was a Jaws 2, but apparently that's atrocious as well.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 04:29:36 PM by ThatIsNotCricket »

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 06:51:27 PM »

It's pretty bad, but not as bad as Jaws 3D.

My vote for this thread is Joe Dirt 2.

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 43
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 07:23:50 PM »
Skate:

Sorry (Really Sorry and Extremely Sorry didn't have the same vibe. And there could have been other ways to get PJ's part out)
Cherry (ideal scenario: Strobeck gets rightfully congratulated with a great vid during the release party, but gets the boot the next morning, to avoid him taking his bullshit further than necessairy. Supreme then hires an entirely new production team for subsequent vids, with the specific instruction to not copy Cherry)
Yeah Right (Pretty Sweet was a disappointment. I don't count Fully Flared as its sequel)

Non-skate:

Trainspotting
Karate Kid
Home Alone 2
The Exorcist
Speed
Star Wars, Return of the Jedi (they should've left it with episode 4, 5 and 6; it would've added to the legend, secured its cult status forever, and gone down so well in cinema folklore)

Lance destroying that pool at 50 in Extremely sorry is one of my favorite parts ever (of course it is; I'm almost 50 myself)

And karate kid 2 has it's charms.
 "Live or die man??
"DIE!"
"Wrong!" (HOOOONK!)
My 11 year old self cracked up with relief.

Now, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...that was a bad, racist script. But tiny GV still ate that shit up.

May have to concede that my young self had terrible taste.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 07:35:25 PM »

Now, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...that was a bad, racist script. But tiny GV still ate that shit up.

It's a prequel.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 07:40:20 PM »
On a counter note: Three movies that were great sequels
Lethal Weapon 2, Terminator 2, Barbershop 2

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 08:26:30 PM »
Couple of bad sequels I thought of:

Caddyshack 2, Speed 2, Major League 2, & Son Of The Mask

Stab n Kill

• Rep: 2
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2024, 09:11:11 PM »
Do people dig Batman Returns?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -225
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2024, 10:07:52 PM »
The Hangover

The Crow

Tales From the Hood

American Psycho

Back to the Future
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2024, 10:54:34 PM »
Do people dig Batman Returns?

Batman Returns is great.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2024, 02:12:11 AM »
RepoMan is getting sequel - chances are it will suck, but you never know

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • ow
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2024, 06:32:06 AM »
Another one, there’s no way white men can’t jump should’ve had a sequel especially with cornball Jack Harlow

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2024, 09:10:39 AM »
Another one, there’s no way white men can’t jump should’ve had a sequel especially with cornball Jack Harlow

Pretty sure that was a remake

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2024, 09:13:06 AM »
Saw a trailer for the new A Quiet Place and it feels like a weird choice for a franchise (I know Paramount needs one, but I digress).   It feels like the type of movie that would go the horror direction of repeating the premise whilst getting cheaper, not getting more epic though you’re doing the same thing again just in a city this time

deadmilkman

• Rep: -9
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2024, 09:17:24 AM »
Dredd 2012 is really good. Better than any of the Stallone ones by about 100000%

Little off premise but because of the people living off recycling comment I'll just throw out that I'm getting really annoyed of hearing the "there's no original ideas anymore" shit. It's the most overused phrase for why movies are "shit" these days (and it can't just be because everybody is overwhelmed with just how much there is now. People watch 3 new movies daily when in the 90s that was what people saw in a year)
They've been remaking/recycling shit since about ten years after the invention of cinema. Just off the top of my head the 90s had adams family, Brady bunch, Flintstones, car 54, batman, Godzilla, mission impossible, the phantom, starship troopers which is just all shit from the 60s. And it's the same for every decade even original ideas are usually just new versions of shit we already had. Tarantino just added extra violence etc.

I will preface by saying that I don't typically post on here but goddamn this pissed me off. I mean, don't you get it? Its not that there are "no original ideas anymore" but the ideas are being recycled more frequently and the ratio of original to reworks is most definitely higher than it used to be. Also, good remakes/sequels are becoming more and more rare nowadays. This is why when somebody writes an incredible original script it is celebrated, and I believe that is important. If you think that what Hollywood is doing (in regard to riding their own coattails) is okay then I truly hope you are never involved in the film industry. Original work is so important and to its not that difficult to write something unique, especially if a production company is paying you a ton of money.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2024, 09:27:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I will preface by saying that I don't typically post on here but goddamn this pissed me off. I mean, don't you get it? Its not that there are "no original ideas anymore" but the ideas are being recycled more frequently and the ratio of original to reworks is most definitely higher than it used to be. Also, good remakes/sequels are becoming more and more rare nowadays. This is why when somebody writes an incredible original script it is celebrated, and I believe that is important. If you think that what Hollywood is doing (in regard to riding their own coattails) is okay then I truly hope you are never involved in the film industry. Original work is so important and to its not that difficult to write something unique, especially if a production company is paying you a ton of money.
Nah I get it. I'm saying I'm sick of hearing that fucking phrase said so often like it's the only problem/something that was not already happening. "Oh man back in the 90s we had so much good shit...." Yeah there was also entire video stores of garbage too.
"Back in the day we used to have movie stars now it's just ips....." Pretty sure everyone who's ever been in a marvel film has a name that will bring in crowds no matter what the movie is.
And for what it's worth I shit on all that big franchise stuff and champion the new shit pretty often it's just like argue it better not just repeat what some YouTube dipshit said (who themselves is most likely just repeating what some other fake drunk YouTuber said)

deadmilkman

• Rep: -9
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2024, 09:34:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Nah I get it. I'm saying I'm sick of hearing that fucking phrase said so often like it's the only problem/something that was not already happening. "Oh man back in the 90s we had so much good shit...." Yeah there was also entire video stores of garbage too.
"Back in the day we used to have movie stars now it's just ips....." Pretty sure everyone who's ever been in a marvel film has a name that will bring in crowds no matter what the movie is.
And for what it's worth I shit on all that big franchise stuff and champion the new shit pretty often it's just like argue it better not just repeat what some YouTube dipshit said (who themselves is most likely just repeating what some other fake drunk YouTuber said)

Okay, I slightly misunderstood the intention of your post. But yeah man, there are plenty of issues and most are just phonies mirroring whatever everyone else is saying. It's important to celebrate the little guy because it usually gives them exposure and a bigger reach. There are still plenty of great filmmakers out there working hard to put their shit out and it makes me a happy human. But hey, you have to admit, at least in the 90s the corny shit was more of a laugh.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2024, 12:42:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Okay, I slightly misunderstood the intention of your post. But yeah man, there are plenty of issues and most are just phonies mirroring whatever everyone else is saying. It's important to celebrate the little guy because it usually gives them exposure and a bigger reach. There are still plenty of great filmmakers out there working hard to put their shit out and it makes me a happy human. But hey, you have to admit, at least in the 90s the corny shit was more of a laugh.

It was, but that’s also just nostalgia.   I see the shit younger people are nostalgic for that I’m too old to have liked and I am baffled by it.

I def support @Mean salto     From our other thread, they def support movies and films (if you know what I mean).  I love seeing movies from the IMAX to the art house too.    As long as their is intention and care in the process it’s easy to tell if something is going to be a MCU movie where it misfires or a Sony Spider-Man fiasco where they didn’t know what the fuck they wanted to do from page one

Crust

• Rep: 50
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2024, 07:17:00 PM »
Home Alone's sequels were not at all needed

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2024, 07:24:37 PM »
Home Alone's sequels were not at all needed

Back in the day when you could only watch whatever movies physically existed in a location, I had a blast watching the 2nd and  third one with some friends in high school.    Where the dumbest shit just becomes things you quote all weekend.

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2024, 09:12:00 PM »
Sicario

I haven't seen the second one, maybe it's good. But I just can't see why it was necessary, let alone love up to the original
2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion