Author Topic: Epicly later’d Ryan Lay  (Read 13205 times)

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
  • The mistery of shadows
Re: Epicly later’d Ryan Lay
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2024, 11:21:36 PM »
HE IS AN INSULT BLOGGER. Gifted HATER.

gnarred

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2024, 03:06:48 AM »
nora can talk shit to me like that

Frfr
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2024, 03:22:19 AM »
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

jerry_boo

• Rep: -1
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2024, 05:45:41 AM »
Met Ryan Lay a couple weeks ago here in Sweden. He was super nice. Pretty crazy he's peaking "fame"-wise at like 35 lol. He's only like 7 years younger than Jerry yet he's still stacking footage.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2024, 07:17:21 AM »
Dudes on the internet will talk copious amounts of shit about Nora but the moment she claps back at one of them it becomes the primary focus of another slap thread…

Loved this episode a lot more than any of the other ones so far. This is one that I wish was a multi part series, I’d also love to hear more about his work in Palestine and other things that were only passingly mentioned
Exactly. Y’all praise GH for talking shit. So why go after Nora? If anything he comes across a the bitter one. Maybe that’s why SLAP loves him. It’s easier to sit on your ass and talk shit than go out there and put in work.

He wasn’t interesting or good enough to be a pro skater so he just talked shit about them. Now he’s an am for SFF. Dude only got noticed because of his shit talking.

Dude is the skating version of Perez Hilton. I’ll always side with the pros calling him out.

He’s a good skater, but I think he backed himself into a corner. Even if he stopped the shit talking, no one would take him seriously because he’s pissed too many folks off. So his chances of doing something outside of SFF are slim.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2024, 07:19:21 AM »
Met Ryan Lay a couple weeks ago here in Sweden. He was super nice. Pretty crazy he's peaking "fame"-wise at like 35 lol. He's only like 7 years younger than Jerry yet he's still stacking footage.

After 27, skate years are dog years.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ejazzle

• Rep: 83
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2024, 08:53:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Dudes on the internet will talk copious amounts of shit about Nora but the moment she claps back at one of them it becomes the primary focus of another slap thread…

Loved this episode a lot more than any of the other ones so far. This is one that I wish was a multi part series, I’d also love to hear more about his work in Palestine and other things that were only passingly mentioned
[close]
Exactly. Y’all praise GH for talking shit. So why go after Nora? If anything he comes across a the bitter one. Maybe that’s why SLAP loves him. It’s easier to sit on your ass and talk shit than go out there and put in work.

He wasn’t interesting or good enough to be a pro skater so he just talked shit about them. Now he’s an am for SFF. Dude only got noticed because of his shit talking.

Dude is the skating version of Perez Hilton. I’ll always side with the pros calling him out.

He’s a good skater, but I think he backed himself into a corner. Even if he stopped the shit talking, no one would take him seriously because he’s pissed too many folks off. So his chances of doing something outside of SFF are slim.
People can talk shit to GH all they want, no one says thats against the rules. I think you missed what nora did, (being a cunt to a pedestrian, 100% in the wrong) it was minimal and he made fun of her for being a POS human for about 20 seconds and she never let it go. It's just funny how long its stuck with her.

If anyones been sitting on their ass its her. She hasnt dropped an actual part in like 3 years. Meanwhile GH is about to have his second part in about just over a year. There's no arguing that hes not significantly more productive than her in every way.

Joa had 0 interest in persuing a career in skating and he says this all the time. Hes well aware he's not good enough and never would be good enough to make it into a career. Plus for 99% of pro skaters they dont make shit and have to get an actual job too. Skateboarding as a career was never on his bingo card. Its been said by Jerry numerous times that he didn't even know about the "gifted hater" videos when he added joa to the team. He just liked his skating and wanted to put him on.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -535
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2024, 09:06:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
People can talk shit to GH all they want, no one says thats against the rules. I think you missed what nora did, (being a cunt to a pedestrian, 100% in the wrong) it was minimal and he made fun of her for being a POS human for about 20 seconds and she never let it go. It's just funny how long its stuck with her.

If anyones been sitting on their ass its her. She hasnt dropped an actual part in like 3 years. Meanwhile GH is about to have his second part in about just over a year. There's no arguing that hes not significantly more productive than her in every way.

Joa had 0 interest in persuing a career in skating and he says this all the time. Hes well aware he's not good enough and never would be good enough to make it into a career. Plus for 99% of pro skaters they dont make shit and have to get an actual job too. Skateboarding as a career was never on his bingo card. Its been said by Jerry numerous times that he didn't even know about the "gifted hater" videos when he added joa to the team. He just liked his skating and wanted to put him on.

Jerry on fully adapting to a post truth world.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2024, 11:27:55 AM »
I like how about 3/4 of the way thru, the Ryan Lay Epicly Laterd episode kinda turned into an extended discussion of Gifted Hater instead. Much like this thread, actually

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2024, 11:52:16 AM »
I like how about 3/4 of the way thru, the Ryan Lay Epicly Laterd episode kinda turned into an extended discussion of Gifted Hater instead. Much like this thread, actually
So many Gifties dick riding him hard.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -173
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2024, 12:17:35 PM »

i'm not sure why people are so taken back by this, as if it didn't ever happen before.  there was an entire "part" in the josh kalis series about lenny kirk.  the max schaaf episode focused a lot on jake.  these things trail off
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

carcinisation

• Rep: 12
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2024, 12:58:05 PM »
Imagine being the head of Thrasher, which has talked endless amounts of shit, blacklisted skaters from the industry, bullied people left and right, and acted as the last true "core mag" and looking salty calling a kid on the internet an insult blogger. Fuck you Burnett.

with all that it's even more ironic that Burnett was slagging Ryan for "complaining about being treated unfairly by the industry" 

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 807
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2024, 01:32:12 PM »
Spanly sums it up best.

"Love him or hate him, it's clear Gifted Hater wields a whole lot of power in the skate industry"

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2024, 01:32:20 PM »
Just watched the video finally and read through this whole thread.

3 points

1. Ryan is an incredibly talented skateboarder and organizer, Marbie said it well "he's like the only skater to do so much for skating, while actually still being a pro skater."

2. I enjoy that Nora doesn't like Gifted Hater, I have personally never listened to one of his videos. I think perhaps because I'm too old, and don't find people sitting at their computer talking to the screen super enjoyable. But again, I think it's just because I'm too old and I just don't honestly get it. I'd much rather read a Chromeball interview or listen to the Bunt.

3. Ryan is the Nollie King

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 01:46:52 PM by Lowcalcium »

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2024, 06:56:22 PM »
Just watched the video finally and read through this whole thread.

3 points

1. Ryan is an incredibly talented skateboarder and organizer, Marbie said it well "he's like the only skater to do so much for skating, while actually still being a pro skater."

2. I enjoy that Nora doesn't like Gifted Hater, I have personally never listened to one of his videos. I think perhaps because I'm too old, and don't find people sitting at their computer talking to the screen super enjoyable. But again, I think it's just because I'm too old and I just don't honestly get it. I'd much rather read a Chromeball interview or listen to the Bunt.

3. Ryan is the Nollie King

im sure hes sick of me saying it but I constantly reply to his stories calling him the true switch god. He is forever fucking up those little parks in his area with switch lines

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2024, 06:59:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Did he really say this? Would love to see where.

There is absolutely no way he saw Joa's skating exclusively and didn't know about his web presence.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 89
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2024, 04:56:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

There is absolutely no way he saw Joa's skating exclusively and didn't know about his web presence.

Yeah I have a hard time believing this. But then again I don’t run in the same circles as Jer.

I’m not as clued in to the industry goings-on as I once was but it was only after reading about 5 pages of this thread I found his actual name.

Gleefull508

• Rep: 26
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2024, 05:57:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

No this is not true hahaha, I think that guy is trolling. He put him on because of the videos and the skating, just his overall personality and precense. Saying he didn't know about the videos is insane

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1146
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2024, 07:25:14 AM »
https://www.monsterchildren.com/articles/sci-fi-fantasy-man-jerry-hsu

And how did Joa, Gifted Hater, get on the team?

Well, he actually has a private account, and I started following it on the Sci-Fi Instagram. I had no idea who he was. He was just buying stuff, and he would post it once in a while. I noticed that he was pretty good at skating, so I started sending him stuff. I had no idea about the Gifted Hater stuff until Ted Barrow mentioned him, and then I was like, ‘Oh shit, this is Joa.’ Then I realized that there's this whole other identity there. Joa was also friends with Ryan Lay. So we all skated together. And that's just kind of how it started. I liked him, I liked his skating, and that's how Joa came to be on Sci-Fi. It was really natural, I'd say.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2024, 07:47:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So many Gifties dick riding him hard.
So many randoms hating on him for no reason (20 page thread on him being a racist cuz some jocks can't take criticism...)

Ryan Fucking Lay and Jerry Fucking Hsu like him
(And Ted Barrow too)

Do the math
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 08:13:52 AM by BALARGUE »

ejazzle

• Rep: 83
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2024, 08:18:31 AM »
https://www.monsterchildren.com/articles/sci-fi-fantasy-man-jerry-hsu

Expand Quote
And how did Joa, Gifted Hater, get on the team?

Well, he actually has a private account, and I started following it on the Sci-Fi Instagram. I had no idea who he was. He was just buying stuff, and he would post it once in a while. I noticed that he was pretty good at skating, so I started sending him stuff. I had no idea about the Gifted Hater stuff until Ted Barrow mentioned him, and then I was like, ‘Oh shit, this is Joa.’ Then I realized that there's this whole other identity there. Joa was also friends with Ryan Lay. So we all skated together. And that's just kind of how it started. I liked him, I liked his skating, and that's how Joa came to be on Sci-Fi. It was really natural, I'd say.
[close]

Thank you TwisT This is one of the instances, I was not trolling at all.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 11:33:54 AM by ejazzle »

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2024, 09:17:40 AM »
Sci-fi is also very tuned into internet trends - Arin and Akwasi were both hidden gems on the interwebz before getting sponsored, and hooking both of them up felt very intentional to me. From there, adding an insult blogger kinda made sense. If anything, Lay and Glick felt like a shift, both having come up in skating in a more traditional fashion

Dog the Bounty Hunter

• Rep: 1
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2024, 02:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Jerry on fully adapting to a post truth world.

I really had like no idea about his videos I just like saw him at Orange County … like skateparks doing double flips like drinking a pink red bull and thought he’d fit in perfect. And sure enough my eclectic art genius mind was so on point but it was just all meant to be.
Icehead

stokelord

• Rep: 4
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2024, 06:26:13 AM »
Well o’dell doesn’t know what journeyman means

Right? I was waiting to see Ryan running power lines through the mountains.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2024, 11:23:24 AM »
not a fan of the editing style of these newer episodes, almost ruined it at times

manuduncan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2024, 02:42:36 PM »
↑ his Etnies shoe was vegan, but after he left soletech (and rode for vans) it seems that he wasn’t as concerned about the materials he was skating. I was DM-ing him for a bit about other things and he mentioned he was in a “shoe crisis”
Around the time he got on NB# (I still maintain that we had a hand in that despite what others think) I said he should rock some 420s, but again he didn’t seem to adamant about sticking to non-animal based materials. He has rocked the vegan 440s, but they aren’t his regular kicks so a) he’s gone “plant based” and chilled on the animal rights side of veganism b) isn’t vegan anymore or c) doesn’t care. c) doesn’t seem that likely to me because he was quite vocal about it in the past, but I also understand that everyone has their own journey so I didn’t try to push him too hard during our discussions…

tangentially related but ryan lay has come the closest to convincing me that the NB 1010s could look alright on somebody

as far as the vid goes, maybe patrick odell watched the excellent pocket followed on him and saw how they did a pretty good job showcasing his advocacy work and didn't want to try to match them
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 02:53:35 PM by manuduncan »

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2024, 02:53:43 PM »
Expand Quote
↑ his Etnies shoe was vegan, but after he left soletech (and rode for vans) it seems that he wasn’t as concerned about the materials he was skating. I was DM-ing him for a bit about other things and he mentioned he was in a “shoe crisis”
Around the time he got on NB# (I still maintain that we had a hand in that despite what others think) I said he should rock some 420s, but again he didn’t seem to adamant about sticking to non-animal based materials. He has rocked the vegan 440s, but they aren’t his regular kicks so a) he’s gone “plant based” and chilled on the animal rights side of veganism b) isn’t vegan anymore or c) doesn’t care. c) doesn’t seem that likely to me because he was quite vocal about it in the past, but I also understand that everyone has their own journey so I didn’t try to push him too hard during our discussions…
[close]

tangentially related but ryan lay has come the closest to convincing me that the NB 1010s could look alright on somebody

are there clips of him wearing them?

I have a oair and man do they feel goofy

skate amazing though

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

manuduncan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2024, 06:09:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

skate amazing though

check out gifted haters review of perry park (which ryan lay helped create) he's wearing the 1010s there

https://youtu.be/fISTnNnfKSo?si=5HblyeRV2C6OT5G2

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2024, 08:36:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

skate amazing though
[close]

check out gifted haters review of perry park (which ryan lay helped create) he's wearing the 1010s there

https://youtu.be/fISTnNnfKSo?si=5HblyeRV2C6OT5G2

just what i needed for my weekend

more Ryan Lay

thanks homie

Coffee

• Rep: 46
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2024, 07:09:03 PM »
Ryan’s story deserves way more than Nora being snarky and wasting a good amount of time on gifted hater …

Ryan fucking rips and as someone who is also interested in thru hiking this got me researching the Tahoe Rim trail for myself. Nora was way cooler before she got on Adidas and didn’t act like every other snotty New England girl. Despite being aware of Gifted Hater I have managed to avoid anything involving him until this episode. Good episode but it could have been great without all the “drama”. My local shop has a Ryan Lay Sci Fi board I might go buy now. Hope we get another full part out of him before he decides to retire.