Author Topic: Shanghai Olympic Qualifiers  (Read 2575 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
Re: Shanghai Olympic Qualifiers
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2024, 03:45:42 PM »
Art the finals not up or am I just missing something?

Can someone share a link?

lurkluke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2024, 03:57:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Watching Ginwoo is crazy because you're like "ew this kid sucks" then he does a backside doubleflip on transition in a run, where most people do a kickturn or just get off their board, and it should be gross but it's a backside double flip transition in a run and you're like "whaaa?"

Then he does a blunt bigspin, and a laser boardslide or something and it all looks like shit but... it's kinda crazy like.

And he annoys a lot of people for how he looks and his tricks. And he wins a lot. And he is sponsored by Jart. None of it makes sense.

I think I'm a fan.
[close]

This cracked me the fuck up.
I was watching a Tampa run of his to get a sense of his style/trick selection people were talking about in here and had a moment during a bs double flip where I thought there's no way that was a Jart board. But yah, there we go. Jart. Ginweird.

Yeah the fact that this combination of skater has a real chance to win the Olympics is hilarious, and we should all be supporting it.

Art the finals not up or am I just missing something?

Can someone share a link?

https://www.youtube.com/@OlympicsSkateboard/streams

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2024, 04:49:45 PM »
Hmm, seems like it was pulled down; links not working.

lurkluke

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2024, 04:57:12 PM »
Hmm, seems like it was pulled down; links not working.

Weird.  I can navigate to that link, but the copy/paste link doesn't work.

Olympics Skateboarding YouTube, but you gotta click the Live tab, not Videos:

Here's the street men's final:

https://www.youtube.com/live/2EEQE--2aUQ?si=iBPCfCx1668w2BWf

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2024, 06:43:05 AM »
I might be wrong, but has Nyjah lost his mojo? I know he turns 30 this year, but he needs to find his Form back for the olympics

He's only 29? Fuck's sake I was sure he was at least in his early 30s' by now...

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2024, 06:50:50 AM »
I was able to find it on the olympics app (but not the website or youtube). They also got the slalom videos.

Ginwoo in that growth spurt. He's already bigger than he was at the olympics. I wish He'd stop doing that backside double kickflip on transition. I really appreciate that he's using the QP's but man is that a stinker. He does the 540 and the alleyoop kf which look way better. And wtf is up with the iron on US shirts and hats it looks like they asked, Jah, Jagger, & Joslin  wear last minute.

Seems like everyone was off... except for Joslin, who actually held it together.

Shtonk

• Rep: -554
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2024, 07:57:31 AM »
Ginwoo's QP double flip is frontside, why is everyone saying backside?

Mangust

• Rep: -4
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2024, 02:57:02 PM »
I don't enjoy watching Ginwoo but he's still a child who has a childs style and he does silly tricks. I cannot help but compare him to Tony Hawk when he was coming up. People hated his style and thought he was robotic and doing too many "ugly" technical tricks.

lurkluke

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2024, 03:49:53 PM »
Ginwoo's QP double flip is frontside, why is everyone saying backside?

oh yeah that's my bad I mentioned it first (mandala effect because I could swear I saw it backside at shanghai but just looked and it's not).

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2024, 11:54:16 PM »
Expand Quote
If I setup tricks like this, I would apologise to everyone's eyes.

[close]

has ginwoo done anything fakie or nollie before? I only see the same fs blunt / bigflip board tricks everytime.

Don’t recall seeing the Woo do any Nollie or fakie tricks. I remember in Tampa he did a switch heel front board. Pretty sure he doesn’t do any type of grinds, noseslide/tailslide, back blunts. At least in most of his recent contest runs that I’ve watched. When I saw him in Tampa his setup was tiny and had mini trucks. Wonder if it would be hard to get certain grind tricks depending on the size and shape of the rail or hubba.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2024, 03:31:41 AM »
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 56
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2024, 03:45:21 AM »
Skipped through it while at lunch. Shallow and pedantic as expected, aside from Joslin. Camera angles were also shite

Is Jagger listening to 24-Bit 44.1 kHz Stereo FLACS of '71 Grateful Dead betty boards? what is this? Sponsored by fiio? I thought maybe they're not allowed to use their phones but other people seem to have them

Also Jagger was crying and Joslin just stared which i found hilarious

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2024, 07:54:59 AM »
You can really see the holes in ginwoo's skating. he cant do a normal 360 flip you can tell, its all just extended varial flips from the way he does them. its like the opposite of manny santiago and riso tury. they only do fs heelflip variations into everything for the most part. that is their wheelhouse.

I didnt like Kelvin Hoefller because he ran the same fucking tricks all the time, but lately he has actually been showing some new stuff. his tampa run was really surprising because i didnt know he had this really good technical side.

they need to make the obstacles way more dynamic at these contests because every contest is just a glorified handrail contest still. Its always around like 8-12 stair. why bother making the entire course if you are just going to base the final result on handrail hammers EVERY SINGLE TIME for like a decade now? By making the course more dynamic it would discourage "Ginwoo style" THPS points approach to skateboarding.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 882
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2024, 08:21:49 AM »
You can really see the holes in ginwoo's skating. he cant do a normal 360 flip you can tell, its all just extended varial flips from the way he does them. its like the opposite of manny santiago and riso tury. they only do fs heelflip variations into everything for the most part. that is their wheelhouse.

I didnt like Kelvin Hoefller because he ran the same fucking tricks all the time, but lately he has actually been showing some new stuff. his tampa run was really surprising because i didnt know he had this really good technical side.

they need to make the obstacles way more dynamic at these contests because every contest is just a glorified handrail contest still. Its always around like 8-12 stair. why bother making the entire course if you are just going to base the final result on handrail hammers EVERY SINGLE TIME for like a decade now? By making the course more dynamic it would discourage "Ginwoo style" THPS points approach to skateboarding.
Feel like that Rico tury guy kinda gets unfair treatment sometimes. He would do a pretty varied run but a few tricks happen to have heelflip in the name and they're like yeah too repetitive but then Mario maccoy will do a run with 5 kickflips in it and then kickflips in every single tricks and everyone's like omg it's so sick he kickflips into everything.
They already fucked up last Olympics and really only scored anyone decent on the big stairs (only for some reason randomly marked down funa and marked up rayssa on a sketchy make on the little rail) I don't even know how they'd fix it and keep it different from the park contest. I don't think they want people trying manuals on live tv