Author Topic: Gabriel Summers "No White Flag"  (Read 6459 times)

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 52
Re: Gabriel Summers "No White Flag"
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2024, 03:32:41 AM »
Amazing skating, truly.

The song is great, GOAT even, but the edit was severely lacking, could've been done way better. It's almost like he put the clips the together and slapped the song under it. Oh well.

newMe

• Rep: 19
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2024, 04:18:09 AM »
What a part! Yes Gabbers! I'll admit, the song irked me at first, but then it seemed to work as the part went on. So many great stunts in here. I especially liked the form on his backtail, so sick.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2024, 04:26:59 AM »

just in regards to a few comments, the 'security' moment i believe is actually a police moment. and the gold rail (flinders street station) is in melbourne, not sydney.

They look like PSO's. Train station semi-cops. Not actual cops, maybe even dumber, but do get to carry guns. Approach with caution, disdain, and ridicule, just like our boy from Penguin here. Getem, Gabbers!

EDIT: Good pick up on the Tom Cuthbertson/Dido/Play link. Classic video.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2024, 04:29:32 AM »
woah. super sick. loved it. song was perfect, editing spots and skating were all top notch. heavy heavy
11 stair acid drop to heelflip crooks the hubba was sick as fuck.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1529
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2024, 05:00:31 AM »
the best bs tail I've ever seen

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2024, 06:53:23 AM »
I have a huge soft spot for really good skating that looks like it was fought hard for. I’ve somehow missed a lot of his earlier parts and feel like they’re due a watch.

Gold rail footage just always reminds me how dollin flip front blunted it and bastien cab flip front boarded it 20+ years ago…fucked up

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

totallyradical

• Rep: -27
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2024, 09:14:04 AM »
Sick part and I loved the causal 11 stair drop.

Though I would add this guy to the list of future CTE candidates.  Seems like he's always trying stuff just beyond his ability and somehow manages to roll away.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 152
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2024, 09:14:44 AM »
Looking like a hesh Joey Bast in those shelltoes. Heavy part.

Dick Dastardly

• Rep: 11
  • Muttley!!!
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2024, 02:01:20 PM »
Regarding the gold rail in Melbourne. It’s not actually the one everyone skated in the 00s. The city put in two more rails (one either side of the original, one bigger one smaller) the one Gabbers skates here is bigger by a few stairs, the original one is still in the middle and has a pillar at the top.
Muttley!!!!

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 83
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2024, 02:46:39 PM »
Regarding the gold rail in Melbourne. It’s not actually the one everyone skated in the 00s. The city put in two more rails (one either side of the original, one bigger one smaller) the one Gabbers skates here is bigger by a few stairs, the original one is still in the middle and has a pillar at the top.

I always liked the pillar at the top - both aesthetically and for the additional difficulty factor- but have to admit that I didn’t notice its absence here. 
I assumed they had put in new rails - mainly because of recent footage and the old “main” one I had heard was fully bowed / nearly wrecked after years of tricks (mostly Dollin slamming fast kickflips down into it).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 03:05:02 PM by Cheshire Cat »

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2024, 04:09:36 PM »
rewatching right now... that heelflip he does into the triple kink bank with the stairs on both sides is sooo gnarly. imagine getting pitched to the side at the first or second kink and tumbling down all those stairs going that fast.

I loved that village psychic put out a commentary video of him talking about his other parts right before this one came out. it gives you a better idea of the dude's thought process and his process in skating.

and he does it all in baggy pants!

Dick Dastardly

• Muttley!!!
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2024, 05:40:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I always liked the pillar at the top - both aesthetically and for the additional difficulty factor- but have to admit that I didn’t notice its absence here. 
I assumed they had put in new rails - mainly because of recent footage and the old “main” one I had heard was fully bowed / nearly wrecked after years of tricks (mostly Dollin slamming fast kickflips down into it).

Yeah the original is still there, not many people skate it anymore though as you land on blind bumps (and the one next to it is pretty perfect)
Muttley!!!!

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2024, 06:23:47 PM »
Just rewatched for the fourth time, so good. I love the filming on the gap out to crooks at the beginning, really makes you appreciate how crazy that is.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2024, 06:37:50 PM »
Great part, great skater. Seems like a genuinely nice guy from the DMs we've exchanged, too.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2024, 07:18:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah the original is still there, not many people skate it anymore though as you land on blind bumps (and the one next to it is pretty perfect)

Is it still a sketchy part of town (I remember magazine articles talking about it being wild at night)

lurkluke

• Rep: 199
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2024, 07:35:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Is it still a sketchy part of town (I remember magazine articles talking about it being wild at night)

It's the main station of the city district. On weekends a normal inner city hub: drunks, drugs, cops etc. But I've never felt unsafe going through there vs other parts of Melbs.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2024, 07:51:22 PM »
Great part, great skater. Seems like a genuinely nice guy from the DMs we've exchanged, too.

like a man!

Guwop

• Rep: 76
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2024, 08:56:15 PM »
Favourite skater, damn near brought a tear to my eye

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2024, 09:56:39 PM »
The 11 stair roll off before the heel flip crook was wild , wonder what the thought process was for that one compared to a straight Ollie or just using some ply wood on the stairs.

The way he locked in the second half of that back tail on the long out ledge was a thing of beauty , you could see where he realized he had it and just pushed the damn thing , full head turn - so fucking sick. Love this guy. His followed from a few months back was a good watch too if y’all didn’t catch it.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Dick Dastardly

• Muttley!!!
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2024, 10:25:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s not really “sketchy” per se, it’s downtown Melbourne and is the main station so it’s extremely busy. It’s only really skateable in the early AM on a weekday/public holiday. 24hr trains on the weekend so it’s full of drunks coming home from a night out.
Muttley!!!!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2024, 10:56:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s not really “sketchy” per se, it’s downtown Melbourne and is the main station so it’s extremely busy. It’s only really skateable in the early AM on a weekday/public holiday. 24hr trains on the weekend so it’s full of drunks coming home from a night out.

Gotcha, old mags from that rails hey day made it seem like it was in the middle of the Tenderloin or some equivalent place filled with drug use and hookers

chihuahuadad2000

• Rep: 23
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2024, 12:43:35 AM »
amazing part, gives you the feels. Gabbers is a solid dude, solid skater.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 105
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2024, 12:58:27 AM »
Favourite skater, damn near brought a tear to my eye

now that you mention it, I actually think I felt myself welling up my first watch hahahaha

the village psychic video really got to me, remarking on how he’d given up on a pro career. Like everyone else has said, you feel like you’re rooting for an underdog watching him.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2024, 05:25:32 AM »
The BS tail really is exceptional, you rarely see posture like that held so long

ejazzle

• Rep: 83
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2024, 08:46:58 AM »
That was heavyyyyy. If I saw him at my local I would just think he was a typical skate dad. He's got that sleeper build.

Mallie

• Rep: 45
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2024, 08:48:57 AM »
I'm really glad this was so well recieved and has shown how much of a ripper he is, because he was almost starting to get the reputation of "low skills, high chuckability".

Sure, he often looks like he's holding on to dear life and, as somebody already posted, "tries tricks just beyond his abillities", but this part was full of clips where he has shown he actually shreds-shreds.

Maybe not THE BEST, but personally my favorite part of 2024 so far.
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2024, 09:16:42 AM »
That was one of the most satisfying bs tailslides I have ever seen.

Tonyhawk-prostate

• Rep: -122
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2024, 09:47:59 AM »
Ender be one of the biggest rails of all time

Big fat nollie tre

Scarecrow Radio

• Rep: 34
  • we are the music makers
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2024, 09:50:46 AM »
Great part, terrible music selection

Shtonk

• Rep: -491
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2024, 10:03:02 AM »
For me the fact he looks outside his comfort zone makes the tricks that much better. Perfect amount of sketch to keep me on the edge. Best part of the year, second best song selection right after Nelly. Love that we're getting a pop ballad resurgence, they feel like such a high threshold to either be all-time or horrible and Gabbers sure as fuck delivered.