Author Topic: Trick Tips  (Read 137662 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Trick Tips
« Reply #390 on: March 02, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »
i tried that f'n front board 270 out for like a whole summer and landed it like three times.....I'd rather turn it but couldn't get any nollie action going on or i'd get the pop but couldn't turn it....i at least got the front board to fakie out of it....i'm gonna guess....front board, turn it to like fakie nose pretty much then snap off a switch f/s 180....

steve_lurkle

• Rep: -16
« Reply #391 on: March 24, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »
any help on front 3's? I get so damn close, but can never get past 300 pretty much.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #392 on: March 25, 2010, 01:18:55 AM »
any help on front 3's? I get so damn close, but can never get past 300 pretty much.

It's all compressing and shoulders. Compress yourself down and wind your shoulders up. Then between 180 and 270, your body will catch up to your shoulders so push your front foot down, like you're scooping your board around. You might land around 270-300, but if you're doing this, you should have enough momentum in your arms and body to powerslide the rest of the way. I usually do them the powerslide way, but once in a blue moon I'll get one that I land really close to 360.

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #393 on: March 27, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
I'm trying fs tailslides now but I can't get my body straight. If I don't stuck, I slide for 3 feet and come off regular.

I can't do it to fakie because my upper body doesn't move and my weight isn't on the tail.

Did somebody had the same problem and does anyone has a tip for me?
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

Doritos And Coke

• Rep: -4
  • Ride. The. Sky.
« Reply #394 on: April 04, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »
Whenever I feeble I can never get out straight...I always do like a 180 out.
Hey? What're Those?

thugnificent

« Reply #395 on: April 07, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »
coming back in fakie on 5-0's on tranny? fs and bs?

Nas

« Reply #396 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »
As embarrassing as this is to ask, I need help staying above my board.

Its basically all mental, but since I rolled my ankle pretty rad-ly, I haven't able to land a flip trick very clean.

It's been about two weeks since I stepped back on my board, and I don't want this "not landing tricks" business to continue.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, besides "stop being a pussy" or something to that effect, they would be greatly appreciskated.

relevant to my intrests

• Rep: -58
« Reply #397 on: April 24, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »
As embarrassing as this is to ask, I need help staying above my board.

Its basically all mental, but since I rolled my ankle pretty rad-ly, I haven't able to land a flip trick very clean.

It's been about two weeks since I stepped back on my board, and I don't want this "not landing tricks" business to continue.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, besides "stop being a pussy" or something to that effect, they would be greatly appreciskated.

after i jacked me ankle i just skated tranny a ton to get back the confidence.

BriDen

« Reply #398 on: April 29, 2010, 08:50:32 PM »
Fuckin nollie flips, how do they work?

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #399 on: April 30, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
Backside boneless on tranny?

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #400 on: April 30, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »

I found when I was learning them, I was trying to extend them to far, making it really hard to get the board back under me. Basically what you want to do, is roll up like you're just going to pop up onto the deck. Then make sure to turn all the way around. It's easy to let yourself just turn 90 degrees. This wont be a problem later, but for learning you'll want to do the full 180. Then grab and think of it like you're doing a melon grab, try to keep the board more under you, as opposed to kicking out behind you for the style points. Then really all it is is hopping back on. I learned em to tail first, and that sort of fucked with me taking them straight in at first. Once you've got it up on the coping, eye your landing, jump and get that shit back under your feet.

Also, if you're having trouble getting it back under you, try grabbing different spots. I know some guys kind of nosegrab it, where as I grab backside.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #401 on: April 30, 2010, 01:10:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I found when I was learning them, I was trying to extend them to far, making it really hard to get the board back under me. Basically what you want to do, is roll up like you're just going to pop up onto the deck. Then make sure to turn all the way around. It's easy to let yourself just turn 90 degrees. This wont be a problem later, but for learning you'll want to do the full 180. Then grab and think of it like you're doing a melon grab, try to keep the board more under you, as opposed to kicking out behind you for the style points. Then really all it is is hopping back on. I learned em to tail first, and that sort of fucked with me taking them straight in at first. Once you've got it up on the coping, eye your landing, jump and get that shit back under your feet.

Also, if you're having trouble getting it back under you, try grabbing different spots. I know some guys kind of nosegrab it, where as I grab backside.

Thanks a lot that's really helpful. I'll probably try them to tail and just see where it goes from there, jumping straight back in seems really gnarly and scary. And yeah I think grabbing it backside is more proper than grabbing the nose. Either way I just think they look really cool, can't wait to try them now. Thanks again.

BeerSlave

• Rep: 0
« Reply #402 on: May 01, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »

Watch Apples

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #403 on: May 01, 2010, 05:56:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's all compressing and shoulders. Compress yourself down and wind your shoulders up. Then between 180 and 270, your body will catch up to your shoulders so push your front foot down, like you're scooping your board around. You might land around 270-300, but if you're doing this, you should have enough momentum in your arms and body to powerslide the rest of the way. I usually do them the powerslide way, but once in a blue moon I'll get one that I land really close to 360.
You have any tips for the foot placement? I ride some soft wheels and have a hard time powersliding tricks so I gotta get like the full rotation.

rob2

• Rep: 4
« Reply #404 on: May 04, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
anyone got any advice for front board to fakie 5050 on a ledge?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #405 on: May 06, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
You have any tips for the foot placement? I ride some soft wheels and have a hard time powersliding tricks so I gotta get like the full rotation.

Best advice I can give is back foot toes right in the middle of the tail and front foot behind all 4 of the front bolts. If you're not able to powerslide at all, I'd say have the inside of your foot around the middle of the board. I always put the toes of my front foot flush with the (toe) side of my board. And just pop super hard.

BriDen

« Reply #406 on: May 06, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »

Here's some advice: don't do them.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #407 on: May 17, 2010, 12:14:45 PM »

This one is all about how you shift your weight during the trick. I'm also assuming you're trying this on a box/ledge. When you front board you'll naturally be hanging more off the side of the box, so once you start to swing around and lock in the truck of your nose, sort of use that to pull yourself up on top of the box, then lock in that back truck and grind. Maybe try front board to switch 5-0 to help figure out how to get that truck locked in.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

kevbo999

« Reply #408 on: May 17, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here's some advice: don't do them.

Gold.

This sucks to admit but I can't bs 50 a ledge, never really practiced them.. got really close today though, and almost did a bs smith by accident.  Finally realized you have to angle your front foot way to the side to guide the board. 

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #409 on: June 29, 2010, 12:35:35 AM »
If it makes any sense, I kinda fall back into it. Like you need to work on that flick for mad long cause that's the key but after you got the flick you kinda pop backwards into it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #410 on: June 29, 2010, 07:50:49 AM »
the one thing i never figured out until now about that trick is that your flick foot you don't put too far back.  I was always putting it like half way which is way too far back....still can't do them but i can flick them better...

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #411 on: June 30, 2010, 02:26:20 AM »
Yeah I keep my back foot pretty far back like pretty much covering all the bolts.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #412 on: August 07, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
3 shoves?

I always flip the board, same goes with b/s bigspins.

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #413 on: August 08, 2010, 05:38:21 AM »
keep your back foot on the middle of the tail and not on a treflip stance. Frontfoot right under the front bolts.

BFKskateboards

« Reply #414 on: August 09, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »
Whenever I feeble I can never get out straight...I always do like a 180 out.
it shouldnt feel too much like a back board. ollie higher than usual for a back board and lean way over to the right (if ur regular) and lean back. almost over exaggerate how much you lean to the right and back. and kinda pop out to stop it from primo'ing. for frontside its the same is guess just opposite of everything for b/s.

Lafy

• Rep: -1
« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2010, 05:04:17 AM »
Fakie full cab flip! I can flip it, i can rotate it but when i try to land it i slip out. I feel super unconformable  once i get the full rotation and the catch. Its like my feet feel too close together and im landing awkwardly. Land and SLIP and the board shoots out. Do i need to focus more on keeping my feet kind of spread out or just flow with it and relax : /

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #416 on: August 13, 2010, 03:14:44 PM »
Post your favorite trick tips and or ask/provide advice.

Don't move this thread to another forum MODs. OR ELSE.

Here's my favs:

This one always helped me. The advice of practicing olliing into stalls on curbs was really helpful:

Ed Templeton Trick Tips-Grinds

Pretty sure this is how a switch flip is supposed to look:

TRICKIPEDIA SWITCH KICKFLIP STEFAN JANOSKI

This one is jus awesum:

Jamal Smith Trick Tips Tornado Spin
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Chris P. Bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • CA All Day
« Reply #417 on: August 13, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »
jamal smith is my new favorite skater, thank you for introducing me to that video.

i think a good trick tip is, go fast, pop hard and jump high.

BuddyPal

« Reply #418 on: August 13, 2010, 03:42:13 PM »
this trick tip helped me in a dark time in my life
how to 360 flip

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #419 on: August 13, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »
this trick tip helped me in a dark time in my life
how to 360 flip

i spent at least an entire months worth of time total trying to figure them out for myself in the first couple years of skating. then that trick tip came out and i went outside and could do them every try. that back foot thing was the key