Author Topic: Obama is down for war!  (Read 1514 times)

Vauxhall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Obama is down for war!
« on: August 01, 2007, 09:17:11 AM »

hargo

• Rep: -50
Re: Obama is down for war!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »
will the non war mongering/corporate friendly candidate please stand up?

he's right about one thing

"because of a war in Iraq that should never have been authorized and should never have been waged, we are now less safe than we were before 9/11."

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 11:08:14 AM by hargo »
“I just hate anything that can be defined as more spectacle than sport,” he said. “Just like any other athlete, it takes a certain skill to do our sport.”- shawn white

the j

• Rep: -16
  • you know how i do
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 11:14:04 AM »

ron paul 08

Jura

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 11:32:44 AM »
will the non war mongering/corporate friendly candidate please stand up?

**politicians quickly sit down**

ron paul 08

Vauxhall

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »
Voting is such a joke. It's looking to be completely pointless. At least at the presidential level for sure. Is anyone thinking of voting for Obama or anyone else?  Thoughts?

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 05:27:51 PM »
first negro or first female prez?  hmmmm...

eighties icon

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 06:16:23 PM »
Best thing about Obama is his middle name.  Barack Hussein Obama. 
Bush supporters used his middle name, ( W ) while he was campaigning. 
Maybe we will see  HUSSEIN '08....
Fuck me.... 
Oh best part is if Hillary gets dem nomination and takes Obama as vice.   2nd time in history we would have a ticket like that.
1872 Victoria Woodhull chose Frederick Douglass as her running mate.  White woman black male.  Only took 135 years to see it again.

bornindabay

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 08:09:54 PM »
Voting is such a joke. It's looking to be completely pointless. At least at the presidential level for sure. Is anyone thinking of voting for Obama or anyone else?  Thoughts?

His name is too close to Osama for my vote. Kidding If either Obama or HIllary win it will be a win for us all.

Obviously Obama is hella smart and may be the better pick but it's not about that. It's about who has a fucking heart
to deal with all the ignored issues that past presidents ignored. Haven't been following up on my politics but I'd say
I hope whoever has the biggest heart and righteous moral values wins. Thing that sucks is that this country needs
a president that will shake things up for the better of all of us but we all know THEY will NEVER let that happen.
If there's no strings to pull than that person won't be president.

urujuay

• Rep: 13
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 08:14:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

His name is too close to Osama for my vote. Kidding If either Obama or HIllary win it will be a win for us all.

are you kidding? 
Whats the big deal with roors? If you have to ask, you'll never know...

bornindabay

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 08:18:12 PM »
I'm voting for Hillary for the simple fact that women or more caring than men. That's just instinct. I'll have to hear more about their plans first. I'd like either of them to win though because there has never been a black president nor woman. It's a victory for us all if either win. I was kidding about not voting for Obama for that reason.

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 08:20:17 PM »
more caring than men, eh?

urujuay

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 08:25:41 PM »
I'm voting for Hillary for the simple fact that women or more caring than men. That's just instinct. I'll have to hear more about their plans first. I'd like either of them to win though because there has never been a black president nor woman. It's a victory for us all if either win. I was kidding about not voting for Obama for that reason.
no i meant, are you kidding about voting for one of those scumbags?

bornindabay

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 08:44:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sure aint voting for a republican. I would vote green but in reality it's a waist of vote and they know it. I wish they'd just infultrate the dems and
just play jack in the box when elected.

hargo

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 10:13:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sure aint voting for a republican. I would vote green but in reality it's a waist of vote and they know it. I wish they'd just infultrate the dems and

it aint happenin. whoever gets in will continue supporting corporate interests, which work to overthrow independent countries which in turn destroy the lives of hundreds of thousands of people annually. the only real hope we have is that more and more citizens learn about our country and its interference and obstruction of much the worlds ability to grow out of utter poverty. when the majority of americans step out of total lethargy and learn how to influence their leaders, then voting will matter, right now it is better to vote your conscience in my opinion, even if it means voting for someone with no chance of winning. if more and more people do that, the two party system can be taken down.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:26:29 PM by hargo »
“I just hate anything that can be defined as more spectacle than sport,” he said. “Just like any other athlete, it takes a certain skill to do our sport.”- shawn white

bornindabay

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 10:19:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

it aint happenin. whoever gets in will continue supporting corporate interests, which work to overthrow indepent countries which in turn destroy the lives of hundreds of thousands of people annually. the only real hope we have is that more and more citezens learn about our country and its interference and obstruction of much the worlds ability to grow out of utter poverty. when the majority of americans step out of total lethargy and learn how to influence their leaders, then voting will matter, right now it is better to vote your conscience in my opinion, even if it means voting for someone with no chance of winning. if more and more people do that, the two party system can be taken down.

Very good speech but it's hard to believe that the greens will have a chance. Sf was pretty close at getting a green as mayor but that's a lot different than prez.
True though man. It seems like when the greens have speeches they adress EVERY SINGLE THING that I care about. When it's the dems and reps it's about who's the least corrupt.

Joshewuhh

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 10:26:36 PM »
Grimcity could run our country.
He'd use all the tax dollars to end wars and build backyard bowls.

Vote for Grim, 2008!

hargo

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 10:29:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

it aint happenin. whoever gets in will continue supporting corporate interests, which work to overthrow indepent countries which in turn destroy the lives of hundreds of thousands of people annually. the only real hope we have is that more and more citezens learn about our country and its interference and obstruction of much the worlds ability to grow out of utter poverty. when the majority of americans step out of total lethargy and learn how to influence their leaders, then voting will matter, right now it is better to vote your conscience in my opinion, even if it means voting for someone with no chance of winning. if more and more people do that, the two party system can be taken down.
[close]

Very good speech but it's hard to believe that the greens will have a chance. Sf was pretty close at getting a green as mayor but that's a lot different than prez.
True though man. It seems like when the greens have speeches they adress EVERY SINGLE THING that I care about. When it's the dems and reps it's about who's the least corrupt.

the problem is, there is no less corrupt. our government is saturated with corruption. just to get to the point where can run in the primaries who have to appease so much corporate interest its not funny. i dont expect an independent to win any time soon, but i believe that in order for true reform to take place it will take a long time. but i would rather work toward that than just vote for someone who has everyone convinced that they are not "as bad".

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 11:55:53 PM »
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/jul/16/government_wants_give_you_money_honest/?breaking_news

A government should do that.

Provide basic services, and make basic laws, in line with the constitution, that do not infringe on other's rights.

A government is not in place to start preemptive wars or throw money away on wasteful federal programs.

www.lp.org
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2218
  • computer says no
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 12:05:11 AM »
Obama's being a clever politician. On one hand, he's saying something that might appeal to the... what are they now, 26-percenters?
On the other hand, he's putting a lean on Bush and Cheney by exposing the fact that they haven't done jack shit to capture Osama... reminding everyone that Osama is probably chilling on the Pakistan border, smoking out, reading Slap, jerking off and running shit while we're in Iraq, getting soldiers and civilians killed in a civil war that we created.

Obama knows what he's doing.

DIGDUG!!!!

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 09:02:14 AM »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 09:07:54 AM by DIGDUG!!!! »

Vauxhall

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 09:18:04 AM »
Obama's being a clever politician. On one hand, he's saying something that might appeal to the... what are they now, 26-percenters?
On the other hand, he's putting a lean on Bush and Cheney by exposing the fact that they haven't done jack shit to capture Osama... reminding everyone that Osama is probably chilling on the Pakistan border, smoking out, reading Slap, jerking off and running shit while we're in Iraq, getting soldiers and civilians killed in a civil war that we created.

Did he really seem clever? It looked like a knee-jerk reaction to me. Saying that "of course I'd totally go into Pakistan, we gotta stop terror".  That just doesen't seem like a thought out answer. Nor one that I'd like to see from a future president (It'd be nice to see people stop using "war on terror" in general). And also it looks to be pretty revealing of his character in a hypothetical situation if he were in office and that sort of pressure were to be coming at him everday. Whether he's playing politics or not, he lost my vote. The Clinton camp wanted to tone down his compassionate stance on war, and they did it.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 09:23:33 AM by Vauxhall »

biggums mcgee

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 10:54:01 AM »
am I the only one who finds it upsetting that we already know 1/2 of the people on the ticket 20 months before the election?? it seems that hillary and obama have already been decided on...this is the wrong direction for our politcal system to be going in, especially if people are seriously talking about independents and 3rd parties

urujuay

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 11:22:02 AM »
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/jul/16/government_wants_give_you_money_honest/?breaking_news

A government should do that.

Provide basic services, and make basic laws, in line with the constitution, that do not infringe on other's rights.

A government is not in place to start preemptive wars or throw money away on wasteful federal programs.

www.lp.org
here's a website to make you think. http://www.prahlad.org/pub/bearden/scalar_wars.htm

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2218
  • computer says no
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 11:41:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did he really seem clever?
In this case, without a doubt.

It looked like a knee-jerk reaction to me. Saying that "of course I'd totally go into Pakistan, we gotta stop terror".
That's not what he did... he said if he had "actionable intelligence". It's at this point he's leaning on Bush & Company. He's taking Bush's rhetoric and using it against the entire war policy. What he said was well thought out... it was striking enough for him to get talked about in the news media, and now he has a spotlight to elaborate his position.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support an invasion of Pakistan (or Iran or Iraq for that matter), but what Obama did was a very good political move, agree or disagree with him.

That just doesen't seem like a thought out answer. Nor one that I'd like to see from a future president (It'd be nice to see people stop using "war on terror" in general). And also it looks to be pretty revealing of his character in a hypothetical situation if he were in office and that sort of pressure were to be coming at him everday. Whether he's playing politics or not, he lost my vote. The Clinton camp wanted to tone down his compassionate stance on war, and they did it.
I agree with you on the "War on Terror™" shit... it might as well be called the "War on Gravity"... it's technically as meaningless. Terrorism is a tactic, not a country. The soundbite-driven simplicity that our media and most of our politicians use when discussing our meddling in the middle east is insulting.  But what happens when you get a politician who's willing to go into the details of his ideas? He's accused of being "nuanced" or "elitist."

Last election, people voted for the regular guy that they felt they could have a beer with rather than the dude who seemed like an uptight, robotic man of elite privilege. Looking back at the debates and campaign platform, nearly everything Kerry said about the wars we're in has come to fruition... but that's irrelevant as he's a dude that people just don't "like."

Our political and news media is largely responsible for how regular our politics are right now. Well, the media and the neocons.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:43:19 AM by grimcity »

E.l.G

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 06:09:40 PM »

"actionable intelligence"

headache

• Rep: -5
  • SHUTTHEFUCKUP!
    • Three stripe hype avatar image
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 06:12:40 PM »
The system was set up to work exactly how it works now. In theory, not working at all.
The argument that it's useless to vote in a presidential election is a strong and accurate one, esp. in light of the 2004 election, which was completely stolen illegally. And one of the first times that the average person was reminded that it's the electoral college and not the popular vote that matters anyway.
So it's no wonder than people don't want to vote due to apathy.
And the comments that it's either/or is right too. Special interests and corporations own this country, set it's rules, it's laws and legislations. It's a vicious trap: No candidate can raise the money to run and win without the millions of contributions from these companies and interests and, in turn, when the candidate gets elected, they're obligated to protect those interests of the corporations that got them elected in the first place. That's why a guy like Gravel and Ron Paul don't have a chance becuase they don't have the cash and won't take it from the wrong sources.
Are elections democratic? Hardly.
It's a money game and a name recognition game. Not a 'best person for the job' gam.
Plus, there's always a weak point to almost every strong candidate. I hate republicans soley because of association to the evil empire and the current administration's nazi like techniques. And I feel I'm not different than the average american.
But take Ron Paul...has a lot of good ideas, actually a purist in terms of freedom and returning to a republic but almost assinine in his 100% stance against Abortion.
And that will 100% keep him from getting elected.
For what? His personal views as an ex-OB/GYN doctor?
If you think that guy is going to get elected claiming that 'freedom starts in the womb,' good luck. A 100% anti-abortion candidate will never have a chance as long as more than 50% of women will vote strictly to protect their rights. And speaking of rights, the religious right doesn't have the support anymore to put anyone in office anymore. They didn't put bush in office, southern rednecks did.
So we've already lost. We win becuase Bush/Cheney will be out but we lose because what gets in there could be more of the same or even worse.
Face it. It's not up to us anymore who runs this country. We're dealing with a larger and more sinister power: MONEY and the people that own it who can buy anyone, anywhere at any time.
We're fucked, to be quite honest. The future of America is questionable at best and the middle class (the sect that kept the country moving from the inside out) will be obsolete when the North American Union plan goes into place in 2010. As if they're not obsolete already.
Woe!
A dingo hyena ate my baby.