Author Topic: anthony pappalardo.  (Read 21382 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: anthony pappalardo.
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2009, 10:09:10 AM »
pops is the real deal. and he's managed to grow into quite a human, as opposed to getting stuck in the 11 year old preference phase that most skaters don't grow out of until all they can do is work at the warehouse and start growing up for real all over again. dude's managed to have vast interests in life and pursue those interests (albeit at the cost of a chunk of his public skating) without fading out completely. as a dude who has to balance regular life with mad different interests and skating hard i'll tell ya, that's no mean feat. especially when there's a TON of dudes with no standards in life willing to go anywhere at anytime and die trying anything just to get a deck with their name on it. it's a fucken uphill battle just to stay relevant at all in that climate, but to have people actually interested in what you do and begging for footage. shiiiiiiit. that gets my respect right there. and not to mention when i hear stories of him just shredding in NY on solo missions through all 5 boroughs without a filmer/photog in sight? RESPECT.

i guess if you can't respect that type of shit, then fine. but i do.

k
Dude, he's a pro skater. He doesn't have shit to juggle. Go skate, get some clips, and the rest of his life is his. I hate how people put pro skaters who are too cool to skate up on a pedestal. Don't get me wrong, I still like Pops, but its despite the fact that he has become a lazy pro who is too cool to do his job, not because of it. You want to skate just for you? Get a different job besides pro skater. Once your name is on a board, you ain't skating for you, you ain't skating for fun, you are skating because people are paying you to get coverage. Its a fun job, but fuck it, everybody has to work for a living. Not to mention the fact that spot searcher type skaters like Poppalardo will spend hours riding a bike around scowering the streets looking for places where they can drag a photographer and filmer so they can do one single trick and go home. People say those types are the rawest, but after skating with those types, my reaction has always been "Gee, that was fun, now I am going to go skate, instead of just going out to get tricks on film."
I don't know, maybe I sound bitter or something, but people put this whole spot search style of skating on this pedestal as if it is some pure form of skating with so much soul. In reality its just a bunch of whiney dudes looking for places nobody else has skated 90% of the time, they spend another 2% skating the spot, and the other 8% of the time they complain about other skaters being uncreative or stealing their spots. Its not like they are out cruising the streets like Tommy Guerrero- just hitting spots as they cruise along. Its a long, lame, drawn out process that is mostly planning, and has very little skating involved in it. Personally, I have more respect for the dude who just goes out and skates a spot that he knows about, that is fun, not a dude who spends most of his time preoccupied worrying about the fact that the spot he is skating is played out or not worth filming. That is the pure shit. I know I have never spent time searching up and down the city for a spot to do a single trick on just for fun, but I've spent hours just skating red curbs or ledges.
Again, I enjoy Poppalardo's skating, I just think that people acting like he, or any of those other dudes who are more preoccuppied with finding spots than skating them, is some sort of soul skater or any of that are fooling themselves.
what about that new chocolate ad/poster of him grinding up a rail? so sick!!!!
What??!? I heard only the skate god known as Leo Romero could do that? You mean Leo isn't on another level that nobody will reach for years just because he grinded up a rail?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2009, 10:09:32 AM »
id wear that new shoe hes got, but certainly not for the asking price.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

sage

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »
Dude, he's a pro skater. He doesn't have shit to juggle. Go skate, get some clips, and the rest of his life is his. I hate how people put pro skaters who are too cool to skate up on a pedestal. Don't get me wrong, I still like Pops, but its despite the fact that he has become a lazy pro who is too cool to do his job, not because of it. You want to skate just for you? Get a different job besides pro skater. Once your name is on a board, you ain't skating for you, you ain't skating for fun, you are skating because people are paying you to get coverage. Its a fun job, but fuck it, everybody has to work for a living. Not to mention the fact that spot searcher type skaters like Poppalardo will spend hours riding a bike around scowering the streets looking for places where they can drag a photographer and filmer so they can do one single trick and go home. People say those types are the rawest, but after skating with those types, my reaction has always been "Gee, that was fun, now I am going to go skate, instead of just going out to get tricks on film."
I don't know, maybe I sound bitter or something, but people put this whole spot search style of skating on this pedestal as if it is some pure form of skating with so much soul. In reality its just a bunch of whiney dudes looking for places nobody else has skated 90% of the time, they spend another 2% skating the spot, and the other 8% of the time they complain about other skaters being uncreative or stealing their spots. Its not like they are out cruising the streets like Tommy Guerrero- just hitting spots as they cruise along. Its a long, lame, drawn out process that is mostly planning, and has very little skating involved in it. Personally, I have more respect for the dude who just goes out and skates a spot that he knows about, that is fun, not a dude who spends most of his time preoccupied worrying about the fact that the spot he is skating is played out or not worth filming. That is the pure shit. I know I have never spent time searching up and down the city for a spot to do a single trick on just for fun, but I've spent hours just skating red curbs or ledges.
Again, I enjoy Poppalardo's skating, I just think that people acting like he, or any of those other dudes who are more preoccuppied with finding spots than skating them, is some sort of soul skater or any of that are fooling themselves.
Expand Quote
[close]
What??!? I heard only the skate god known as Leo Romero could do that? You mean Leo isn't on another level that nobody will reach for years just because he grinded up a rail?

whoa i agree with you

era

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2009, 10:37:50 AM »
he had an article in skateboard with pulhoski and sabback where he backtails this "double set" ledge in toronto, sabbacks footie turned up in ipath, anyone ever find footie of that trick/trip?

its in fully flared, and that back tail is regular.

VolumeBass

• Rep: -71
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2009, 10:40:53 AM »
Expand Quote
pops is a barometer of how much you love skateboarding...if you aren't feeling him, skateboarding isn't feeling you
[close]

thank god this asshole doesn't post anymore.

gordon bombay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 69
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2009, 11:52:08 AM »

SleepyPeePee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

his shoe looks way better in person.
the way its shaped looks like the CTS in the photo, but its more of a kenny standard shape, just slimmed down & personally looks better
would you rather hear "woo" from the omar salazar pack? i wouldn't. their "yeahs" are genuine, and cool. "yeah" has been the battle cry of skaters for as long as i can remember.

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »

Dude, he's a pro skater. He doesn't have shit to juggle. Go skate, get some clips, and the rest of his life is his. I hate how people put pro skaters who are too cool to skate up on a pedestal. Don't get me wrong, I still like Pops, but its despite the fact that he has become a lazy pro who is too cool to do his job, not because of it. You want to skate just for you? Get a different job besides pro skater. Once your name is on a board, you ain't skating for you, you ain't skating for fun, you are skating because people are paying you to get coverage.

^ well, if he was just resting on his laurels, i'd agree. but he's actually working in a basement/woodshop producing a (pretty fine) product to sell. I'd call that another job. and who ever said he was too cool to do his job? as a matter of fact, i'd say he's working two jobs now. i do agree his public skating has suffered, but that's expected when you spread yourself out and i don't expect him to apologize for doing something that he's into and trying to stay relevant to the skate game and to life in general (no matter if he's doing a good job at it or not).

Its a fun job, but fuck it, everybody has to work for a living. Not to mention the fact that spot searcher type skaters like Poppalardo will spend hours riding a bike around scowering the streets looking for places where they can drag a photographer and filmer so they can do one single trick and go home. People say those types are the rawest, but after skating with those types, my reaction has always been "Gee, that was fun, now I am going to go skate, instead of just going out to get tricks on film."

^that's why we're talking about pops and not bobby puleo. i'm not talking about spot searching. my Ny homies always see dude out skating the city at weird hours and busting. on a skateboard. i never mentioned anything about spot searching. where'd you get that?

I don't know, maybe I sound bitter or something,

^yes, you do...but i like that about you gipper. at least your bitterness is focused. :)

but people put this whole spot search style of skating on this pedestal as if it is some pure form of skating with so much soul. In reality its just a bunch of whiney dudes looking for places nobody else has skated 90% of the time, they spend another 2% skating the spot, and the other 8% of the time they complain about other skaters being uncreative or stealing their spots.

^again, bobby not pops.

Its not like they are out cruising the streets like Tommy Guerrero- just hitting spots as they cruise along.

^actually, that's exactly the scene i see in my head when i hear from the homies. i've not been to NY in awhile and when i'm there, i don't see pops, so i may be wrong, but that's what i meant in the post.

Its a long, lame, drawn out process that is mostly planning, and has very little skating involved in it. Personally, I have more respect for the dude who just goes out and skates a spot that he knows about, that is fun, not a dude who spends most of his time preoccupied worrying about the fact that the spot he is skating is played out or not worth filming. That is the pure shit. I know I have never spent time searching up and down the city for a spot to do a single trick on just for fun, but I've spent hours just skating red curbs or ledges.
i agree, except that pops isn't one of those skaters anymore. the way i understand it, he's into cruising the streets (maybe to get coffee) and skating what's there and keeping the peepers open for new untouched goodness. sounds like the purest kind of spot searching you can do. maybe i'm tainted though.

i think your sarcasm meter failed to pick that one up. and yes, i'm aware of your sarcasm as well.

Its a fun job, but fuck it

HA! you said buttfuck!

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 12:35:11 PM »
I'm judging him as a spot searcher type based on his recent coverage, which is all at random spots he clearly searched out. What do you mean by "public skating?" If you mean getting coverage, then I would say that getting coverage is his job as a skateboarder, and the only thing he needs to do to get by. And although I have heard all sorts of stories about Bobby Puleo getting weird about spots, I was actually thinking of my experience with spot searcher types in SF. Maybe Poppalardo is the exception and I am unfairly categorizing him with others who are like that.
And the building furniture thing is obviously more of a hobby, and not his career. I'm just saying, his lack of footage or coverage is not because he has to deal with the sort of shit that a real career throws at you. Granted, Jereme Rogers couldn't balance his hobby with his career, but still, ask anybody who skates that has a serious job working long hours, or a family to look after, that's shit to juggle.

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

shit, could you please scan the rest???

gordon bombay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 69
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

shit, could you please scan the rest???
word man, i'll see what i can do. most of my old mags are at my parents house but i'll see if this issue is at my apt.

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2009, 01:56:58 PM »
I'm judging him as a spot searcher type based on his recent coverage, which is all at random spots he clearly searched out. What do you mean by "public skating?" If you mean getting coverage, then I would say that getting coverage is his job as a skateboarder, and the only thing he needs to do to get by. And although I have heard all sorts of stories about Bobby Puleo getting weird about spots, I was actually thinking of my experience with spot searcher types in SF. Maybe Poppalardo is the exception and I am unfairly categorizing him with others who are like that.
And the building furniture thing is obviously more of a hobby, and not his career. I'm just saying, his lack of footage or coverage is not because he has to deal with the sort of shit that a real career throws at you. Granted, Jereme Rogers couldn't balance his hobby with his career, but still, ask anybody who skates that has a serious job working long hours, or a family to look after, that's shit to juggle.

okay then, i understand where you were coming from then. and i agree about the sf/ny spot searcher types. i disagree however with the statement that the chair thing is a hobby as he's obviously trying to make money at it (have you seen the prices they go for?). and i'm sure everyone here can see that if the chairs become a hot art item or he gets to branch out into other areas/a bigger workshop, he'd jump at the chance to make a career out of it. maybe i'm being presumptious, but that's what i think.
i'm a working man who skates plenty and has a full 9-5 nd a family, so i'm aware of the struggle and he obviously has it easier than i do, i just think it's unfair to lump him in wiht the hordes of skaters wo are milking their careers at home on the couch trying to figure out why they can't stay 12 yrs old forever and not even thinking past their increasingly limited time as a skate icon.

i also would argue the other way if he was being lumped with people like carroll, koston, rick howard et al. those dudes are the same age/generation and are still killing the old way, so i'd think it was unfair to him to put him up on a pedestal with them as well (and i have WAAAAY more respect for them than i do pops at this point in the game). but i see what you're getting at and i basically agree. so...yeah.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2009, 06:25:51 PM »
I hope a converse video comes out.

Dr. Newton

• Rep: -12
  • Yes I am
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2009, 07:18:31 PM »
only 3.. maybe 2 people on that team are good enough to be sponsored

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • This is what we live for.
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2009, 08:11:13 PM »
pops history aside, would you guys say his fully flared part was really that progressive or was as good as any of his other parts ?

as a young artist picasso learned to paint well and painted stuff like this

as time went on and he mastered the fundamentals of painting, he matured and experimented with new styles and different subjects, like this

the latter is not as "good" as the first (on a purely technical level), but is considered the better of the two as it is more original and progressive.

you see where i'm going with this?
"RIP to myself one day" - JR Blastoff

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2009, 09:04:16 PM »
^^^^ I like that guy, alot.^^^^^

era

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2009, 09:12:38 PM »
Expand Quote
pops history aside, would you guys say his fully flared part was really that progressive or was as good as any of his other parts ?
[close]

as time went on and he mastered the fundamentals of painting, he matured and experimented with new styles and different subjects, like this

the latter is not as "good" as the first (on a purely technical level), but is considered the better of the two as it is more original and progressive.

"I think skating is becoming more like music or art; when people first started really developing music or art, if somebody could paint a painting that looked really realistic or play a complicated piece of music, they were considered a good artist. Now so many people can paint that well and play music well that technical ability is kind of whatevs. What does stand out are the different concepts that people come up with, and the different styles people have. That’s the point where skating’s getting to. It almost doesn’t matter how good you are; it matters if you have a style that people feel. That’s the point of it all, to inspire. I’d rather have people feel the skateboarding that way than judge it on some sort of technical formula." - Dave Caddo

I think this quote describes what your talking about perfectly and I totally agree.

ilovecotg

• Rep: -7
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2009, 12:15:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

"I think skating is becoming more like music or art; when people first started really developing music or art, if somebody could paint a painting that looked really realistic or play a complicated piece of music, they were considered a good artist. Now so many people can paint that well and play music well that technical ability is kind of whatevs. What does stand out are the different concepts that people come up with, and the different styles people have. That’s the point where skating’s getting to. It almost doesn’t matter how good you are; it matters if you have a style that people feel. That’s the point of it all, to inspire. I’d rather have people feel the skateboarding that way than judge it on some sort of technical formula." - Dave Caddo

I think this quote describes what your talking about perfectly and I totally agree.

Caddo couldn't of said it better and those paintings work well for those who can't read well

lurk daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • put the FU back in fun
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2009, 01:19:26 AM »
A recent photo of the man himself in rare form

u bumped this thread to post a pic of him drinking?
IF YOU HAVE SEX ONCE, YOU GET HERPES. IF YOU DO COKE ONCE, YOU DIE AND LOSE YOUR JOB.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2009, 06:31:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

...the shoe is suggested at $45, the fuck shoes are you buying? Airspeeds?
p-shuvs and v-flips

weartested

• Rep: 47
    • Weartested avatar image
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2009, 06:42:13 AM »
I hope my eyes don't trick me, but to me it looks like 65$
Detailed skate shoe reviews: www.weartested.de
Follow weartested on Twitter: www.twitter.com/weartested

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 655
  • Free Max B
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2009, 07:16:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

woah dont jump the gun you fucking idiot. Theyre suggested at $65, which means most shops will sell them for upwards of $75-80.
FREE MAX B

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2009, 08:04:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
woah dont jump the gun you fucking idiot. Theyre suggested at $65, which means most shops will sell them for upwards of $75-80.

Damn man, you got sour so fast. I can't read it, I guess maybe it says $65, but it looks $45 to my untrained eye.

Sorry if I offended you by questioning your shoes..
p-shuvs and v-flips

spare change

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Actually in this economy most shops scale prices down.
Meaning they'll be 55-60.
I only keystone shoes if theyre 60 and below.
Anything that should be 70 or higher gets cut.

Ben Throttle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2009, 11:47:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Maybe i did. I thought it was a cool photo that showed him looking more mature which is similar to the way his skating is these days.
I've been rewatching all his parts lately which is making him one of my favorite skaters yet again (not like he ever left but boy, is he up there)

Thanks though. Keep bringing out that fresh S.D. footage that everyone wants to see...zzz.....zzzzzzzz..zzzz
i thought i was the only one who bruised people with my cum, save it up for about two weeks and release the blast.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Maybe i did. I thought it was a cool photo that showed him looking more mature which is similar to the way his skating is these days.
I've been rewatching all his parts lately which is making him one of my favorite skaters yet again (not like he ever left but boy, is he up there)

Thanks though. Keep bringing out that fresh S.D. footage that everyone wants to see...zzz.....zzzzzzzz..zzzz
I thought it was a photo of him attempting to look more artsy, similar to the way his skating is these days....
Seriously, I actually do like Poppalardo, but sometimes its just too easy.

lurk daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • put the FU back in fun
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

oh i will and u keep dick riding every new yorker possible mmk?
IF YOU HAVE SEX ONCE, YOU GET HERPES. IF YOU DO COKE ONCE, YOU DIE AND LOSE YOUR JOB.

LURMWOOD

« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »
Said pic was taken by Bill S.  It is close to 8 years old. 

Ben Throttle is nothing more than a NYC blog content jacker.  His avatar is a pic taken by the late Dash Snow.  Stealing from my friends is weak as hell.

Ben Throttle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »
Said pic was taken by Bill S.  It is close to 8 years old. 

Ben Throttle is nothing more than a NYC blog content jacker.  His avatar is a pic taken by the late Dash Snow.  Stealing from my friends is weak as hell.

"william_strobeck_pappalardo
by admin

Published: April 15, 2009
Filed Under: Uncategorized"

Stealing? the pictures are available to anyone who knows how to use Google. I'm a fan of Dash Snow so i used his picture as my avatar.
The publishing date was merely 3 months ago. Pops was still rocking cargo pants 8 years ago
I think banning should be the only option for anyone claiming to be friends with someone who already passed.
i thought i was the only one who bruised people with my cum, save it up for about two weeks and release the blast.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »
i wish i could buy stock in things like "poppalardo threads on SLAP will be mad controversial"