Author Topic: CANADIAN SKATEBOARD DISTRIBUTORS  (Read 10094 times)

skate.habs.girls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
CANADIAN SKATEBOARD DISTRIBUTORS
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:19:37 PM »
For the past month I had a feeling this day would come, the day that going public with my opinion that canadian skateboard distribution companies are useless and are ruining the industry in canada.

I work in a skateshop in Canada. And no, it's not some "fake-ass i dont know shit about anything" mall store. I work at a legit skateshop that promotes skateboarding and skate culture.

This question is for all of the top industry guys out there reading this, and i know you guys are reading this, what is the point of having a canadian skateboard distributor? .... I'm not talking about shoes or clothing brands, this question is specifically for skateboard companies.

Explain to me why canadian skateboard shops buy boards at a wholesale price through a distributor and in the States that same board is sold at the same price RETAIL? where is the logic? and honnestly I can not find any positive reasons behind this.

this problem is even worse today knowing the fact that the canadian dollar is worth 1,07US$... 4 weeks after it was par
and any moron out there knows that the canadian dollar is only on its way up the economic ladder

canadian skateboard distributors have no selection because they have trouble selling the decks they already have instock, and nobody wants those decks because a retail store would naturally want the newest and latest products available, and secondly theyre prices are 40% higher than a US retail priced skateboard.

we are tired of selling boards overpriced... why do you think kids are buying local boards and shop decks? because canadian skateboard distributors will not bring their prices down.

If the canadian distributors do not bring their wholesale prices down by a significant amount its obvious to suggest that blank, local, and shop decks will sell more because they are cheaper...boards in canada are not sold at 49,95 retail...if anyone thought otherwise I suggest you fly over here and see what really going on..

We do not sell blank board or blank wheels... but if this continues how are we supposed to survive if a kid in out town or province can just login to Active or CCS and buy a pro deck way cheaper than it is here..

if the inudstry want to stay healthy something has got to happen...i dont even want to think about the consequences because I AM HOPING THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE UNDERSTAND WHATS GOING ON HERE...

we want the same advantages as Active, CCS, Pharmacy, and any other skateshop in the US

So if there is any top elite skateboard industry guy out there reading this, could you please take your time and answer my questions?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1553
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CANADIAN SKATEBOARD DISTRIBUTORS
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 01:35:44 PM »
there must be some border fees that drive the prices up...

but it's a good and an important question, but i do believe industry heads will ignore this tread... shops in europe can get away with high prices because web shops are rare (and similarily priced)...

IASC where are you and what the fuck have you learned so far (probably nothing)

theironmonkey

• Rep: -37
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 02:06:26 PM »
shops in europe can get away with high prices because web shops are rare (and similarily priced)...

maybe,if you buy a couple of boards or whatever it's cheaper to buy stuff from a US shop and pay the shipping than buying it here (UK).

i can't think of any other industry that spends as much time as skateboarding telling it's customers what to do... support skater owned shops, don't buy blanks, don't download videos etc.

i think distributors and the power they have will be the cause of the next slump in skating and the focus of any changes that come from this.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
We have no industry in Canada. That's the problem. We depend on the States for EVERYTHING.

We need distributors to do the border work for us. Distributors like Centre and S&J have done nothing but good for us, and I have never heard of one bad issue with them. They are also the same people who fight with West 49 every month over how little of good product goes to the mall. We are lucky those places are run by actual skaters with good work ethic.

Call Mr. Talbot in Montreal before he heads out to Costa Rica, and get a bunch of wheels and boards from him. Get some more Premium and Studio. Order more from the little brand and compare the difference with distributor costs. These are ways to not have to go through distributors and still be able to dial the same 514 code.

We really can't do much about the price in Canada. It's going to stay this high, and we're going to have to pay it until the industry grows here.

Old Knees

• Rep: -20
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:52:49 PM »
this problem is even worse today knowing the fact that the canadian dollar is worth 1,07US$... 4 weeks after it was par
and any moron out there knows that the canadian dollar is only on its way up the economic ladder

um, this has nothing to do with canada's economy and everything to do with america's. the canadian dollar will be worth mud again soon, rest assured
BOPSET

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 03:57:53 PM »
I would like to let everyone know that after a week of hourly denials at Futureshop, EB Games and Wal Mart, I have successfully ordered Guitar Hero 3 for the Wii for only $10 more than the sale price, all thanks to the good dollar.

photowill

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 06:48:31 PM »
double check on ordering some Studio.

WILL

• Rep: -51
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 07:56:46 PM »
this already happened to my local shop that will most likely close down very soon, they have 3 pro boards then the rest are shop decks, unless they take their prices down, soon there will be no pro boards at the shop or there wont be no shop at all
why flip your board, when you're just gonna land back on top of it again?

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65425
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 09:08:43 PM »
i agree that there is a huge problem going on in the candian skate industry. i just think that the majority of dist. up here are run poorly and obviously havent structured themselves to be easily adapted to our ever changing economy. ive worked for a number of canadian dist. companys and it made me very aware that working in this industry is a very cutthroat enviroment. in the states if you have a problem with dist. you go the next state over, here you cant get shit cause everything is spoken for do to the "market saturation law" basically protecting the legitimized manopoly they run. the sadest thing is if you take your buisness south they basically black list you.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 09:58:59 PM »
maybe i'm being naive but can the distros bring the price of a deck down?  how much do they mark them up? 

koots

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 10:37:49 PM »
maybe i'm being naive but can the distros bring the price of a deck down?  how much do they mark them up? 

Shit doesn't add up.

With free trade and a strong dollar.  Prices should be the same as in the U.S.
Ok,

You must be new to the Skateboard game.  This is real industry talk.  "It's all about who you know".  And that's real.
  Beautiful

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 11:30:06 PM »
From growing up in a border city, I've seen the price difference be the same for the last 13 years. No matter what the dollar was at, we always paid more. Every shop I worked at never earned money off decks either. After shipping, grip, taxes, and cost, you almost lose money with the time you spend gripping decks. We always earned money off of shoes and clothes.

I grew up in a city where selection was always shit compared to the US. We never complained about it, but would just be in complete awe when Americans would come over with the absolute newest shit and coolest shit. They'd even come and sell their shit at our bowls, and the locals would just gobble it up.

Still, I have no problem paying full price for a board. I work hard for my money and the end product treats me well. If anything, this topic should be about how grateful Americans should be for their prices. Seriously guys, you have it good.

Room Guy

• Rep: 1
  • get gnaughty
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 02:54:49 AM »
screw the middle man

upsetter

• Rep: 0
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 07:48:17 AM »
The min. wage is substantially higher in Canada.

I tried to support Studio.  Sent them an email expressing interest in carrying their stuff and I didn't get a response. 

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 07:55:32 AM »
i mean, if your going to have 'girls' in your username... you should at least post a few. for good measure.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 08:16:09 AM »
screw the middle man

thats exactly what they are! anyone who says podium,dlx,dwindle and dna couldnt absorb the canadian market and do a better job is fucking moron.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 08:48:19 AM »
it's a wierd situation for sure.  i never understood why boards are more expensive in Canada, when 90% of companies claim "canadian maple".  you'd think it would be cheaper to produce boards there (I do anyway)  also, the markets get fucked outside of the states, because every distributor wants "exclusive" rights to distribution, which makes availability less, helping keep prices up.  I'm actually surprised there isn't more Canadian board companies.  I know there is, but you don't really hear about them here in the States.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

intheknow

• Rep: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 09:57:13 AM »
Here are a few facts to know before you paint all CDN distributors as bandits

Duty rates for decks,clothing,trucks and all sorts of things into Canada push the price up. The duty rates are much higher than in the US
Free health care in Canada, who pays, the employers!
Taxes- personal-higher in Canada, business higher in Canada
Commercial rent and costs- higher in Canada
Minimum wage-higher in Canada
Transportation costs- increased since goods move through USA( fuel has increased) CDN transportation costs increased as well
Brokerage fees at border- have to be factored in
It is a US based industry selling imported goods, you pay the duty on  the country of origin so in 90% of the cases duty is applicable since items are NOT made in the USA

There are numerous reasons as to why comparable goods will never be the same price as the US. What other industry or activity do you find the cost of goods the same or less than they were 20 years ago? The skateboard industry is a prime example.
Those ordering from the US will find it is not all you would expect. There is a minimum brokerage fee in place for all imported goods, raising the costs.
Sorting facilities in Canada are now jammed with parcels and there are numerous delays expected
What is you have an issue with an item you bought online? Do you expect the CDN shops to handle your warranty concerns when you did not buy from them, not likely. If it is not what you want are you going to pay to have it sent back and then pay import charges again?
The border is finding out that individuals who are buying from the  US are not paying the proper duty and they are cracking down. Distributors import by the truckload  and as such have to pay all the proper dutiers and taxes. The rosey picture now portrayed is going to change
This issue is not black and white . Anyone who thinks it is just about the exchange rate does not have a clue!

I think back to a few years ago when the exchange was 1.6. The prices did not incrrease proportionately. Distributors took the hit and kept costs down. I am sure they never had any shops offering to pay more with a poor exchange rate

Support your local skateshop and ensure that YOUR scene contiinues

hakken

• Rep: 2
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 11:55:25 AM »
high CAN dollar means the price of canadian wood is higher for u.s. companies to buy. things may get worse up here before thay get better.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »
The Canadian distributors have employed and sponsored many deserving friends of mine, so I have no problem supporting them and knowing my stuff comes through there.

I, for one, hate shipping back and forth through the States, simply because of companies like DHL, that hand you a "Duty bill" three weeks later. If you hate distributors so much, try ordering direct from the companies. I guarantee you, you'll hate the duty and taxing hassles.

But again, the real profit's not in the decks and hard goods. It's the clothes and shoes.

hakken

• Rep: 2
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 01:42:06 PM »
the big distributors here in canada help out a lot of guys who would be overlooked otherwise. the industry is in the u.s., products comming from there are just gonna cost more in canada.

theironmonkey

• Rep: -37
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 01:47:02 PM »
The Canadian distributors have employed and sponsored many deserving friends of mine

in which case i bet you don't pay fucking retail in which case you should shut the fuck up.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 02:10:01 PM »

Duty rates for decks,clothing,trucks and all sorts of things into Canada push the price up. The duty rates are much higher than in the US
Transportation costs- increased since goods move through USA( fuel has increased) CDN transportation costs increased as well
It is a US based industry selling imported goods, you pay the duty on  the country of origin so in 90% of the cases duty is applicable since items are NOT made in the USA

There are numerous reasons as to why comparable goods will never be the same price as the US. What other industry or activity do you find the cost of goods the same or less than they were 20 years ago? The skateboard industry is a prime example.
Those ordering from the US will find it is not all you would expect. There is a minimum brokerage fee in place for all imported goods, raising the costs.
Sorting facilities in Canada are now jammed with parcels and there are numerous delays expected
What is you have an issue with an item you bought online? Do you expect the CDN shops to handle your warranty concerns when you did not buy from them, not likely. If it is not what you want are you going to pay to have it sent back and then pay import charges again?
The border is finding out that individuals who are buying from the  US are not paying the proper duty and they are cracking down. Distributors import by the truckload  and as such have to pay all the proper dutiers and taxes. The rosey picture now portrayed is going to change
This issue is not black and white . Anyone who thinks it is just about the exchange rate does not have a clue!

I think back to a few years ago when the exchange was 1.6. The prices did not incrrease proportionately. Distributors took the hit and kept costs down. I am sure they never had any shops offering to pay more with a poor exchange rate

im guessing you either work at a canadian dist. or your moses, pete sullivan, or kevin harris.

koots

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »
I will say that when I was back in Canada I always tried to buy Canadian shit.
 It was lighter on my wallet and the quality is there. 
Premium boards (also eternal or PM when they were around)
Momentum wheels and bearings. 

I don't have much choice these days unless I want to buy a toothpick to ride on.
Anyways, I work hard and make money so I don't mind paying for boards and supporting shops.   
However, it can feel really lame dropping 90$ cdn on a board when you can drive 20 minutes and get it
for $45. 

Also, to the poster who blamed it on taxes.  That's B.S....sorry.  Studies have shown that the average
personal and business tax in Canada is not significantly higher.  That's simply a myth perpetrated to keep
people in the dark (governments fucking love myths.....)
The rates of taxation are actually very similar.  The difference iis how the money spent. 
Ok,

You must be new to the Skateboard game.  This is real industry talk.  "It's all about who you know".  And that's real.
  Beautiful

sebastian toombs

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 07:53:47 PM »
I will say that when I was back in Canada I always tried to buy Canadian shit.
 (PM when they were around)

haha, koots roots...   got a black russian hat?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 09:21:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
im guessing you either work at a canadian dist. or your moses, pete sullivan, or kevin harris.

it's bob nurmi....

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 11:14:13 PM »
Expand Quote
The Canadian distributors have employed and sponsored many deserving friends of mine
[close]

in which case i bet you don't pay fucking retail in which case you should shut the fuck up.

Okay, seriously, you're just really starting to suck at the anonymous guy. You're supposed to maybe post the taboo stuff, stuff people are afraid to say. Not the little "Yes, I'll let you bud in line and I won't say anything in person." guy who's tough behind the monitor.

I pay for my boards, and have had boards given to me. I never asked, and they were always generous to return. This is why I support them.

I hope your boss doesn't walk over you too hard tomorrow, only for you not to say anything back.

skate.habs.girls

• Rep: -1
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 02:00:36 PM »
We have no industry in Canada. That's the problem. We depend on the States for EVERYTHING.

We need distributors to do the border work for us. Distributors like Centre and S&J have done nothing but good for us, and I have never heard of one bad issue with them. They are also the same people who fight with West 49 every month over how little of good product goes to the mall. We are lucky those places are run by actual skaters with good work ethic.

We really can't do much about the price in Canada. It's going to stay this high, and we're going to have to pay it until the industry grows here.

We support local brands man... but there is a limit to it. We also need to support the major skateboard brands. Give the kids who actually go to a retail shop, a good selection of boards, and not only local branded stuff.

you talk about the good of cdn skate distributors and west 49..

50% OF THEIR SALES COME FROM WACK, SORRY I MEAN WEST 49s ...IF WEST 49 WAS TO LET GO A HUGE FART... ALL THE CANADIAN DISTRIBUTORS WILL DROP UNCONSCIOUS DUE THE TOXIC GAS.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 03:47:19 PM »
The mall shop debate has been beaten to death. There's no way a distributor is going to stop selling to them. The thing places like Centre do is debate with them over who gets first pick, and it's the core shops that get them. Call them up, and ask them how this month's debate was. They'll gladly tell you.

Since you are Quebecois, just out of curiosity, where do you see Underworld in the whole grande scheme of things?

FUN

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 03:50:38 PM »
this is not a fun situation. I surround myself around   fun so I can't really comment.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 03:52:54 PM by FUN »