Author Topic: skating alone  (Read 5487 times)

Sony MDR V2 headphones

skating alone
« on: April 13, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »
pros: no one to rush you to leave when they get tired of the spot (especially when you're trying a trick.), no one to wait in line for, doing dork tricks without having to worry about getting made fun of, no one to ask "what're you trying to do?", setting up a ramp / rail / waxing a ledge the way you want it without the other guy bitching, throwing a temper tantrum without worrying about being embarrased, skate whatever spot you want

cons: no filmer/self filming, gets boring mad fast, no one to inspire you or motivate you, no one to call somebody if you fuck yourself up, no one to play skate with, no one to drive while you look for spots and vice versa,

who else here digs/hates skating alone?

Lumpy Oatmeal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • only the classics
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: skating alone
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »
yesterday i couldnt find anyone to skate with so i just thought id go to this manual spot up the street but i ended up skating right by it and just cruised by myself for 2 hours and i had more fun than i usualy do skating
and yall dont need to be worryin about my rep, if yall really need to know, its cause no other rapper on here gully enough to do the dirt dolo i done
[quote author=drunk link=topic=46570.msg125

yeah dude!

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »
I go to parks by myself all the time but rarely street skating other than flat in front on my building.

bizarro gub

• Rep: 7
  • lincoln of the sea
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:57:56 AM »
even if there are a group of people im still skating alone.
Alexactly shaves.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »
I like skateing with my regular crew of bros they're fun and the vibe is always positive, I still go to these basketball courts I grew up skating alone all the time, smoothest ground ever and one of the sickest bumps I've ever skate, and its nice because nobody is ever there playing tennis or hoops...quality alone time with your board can definately help keep your frame of mind on everything in life right.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1529
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 12:11:20 PM »
i do skate alone a lot, but it's not like i have a lot of choice most of time...like you said, there are pros and there are cons...

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 12:19:51 PM »
i have no choice, i don't have anybody to skate with anyway.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »
i have no choice, i don't have anybody to skate with anyway.
I'm having that problem with getting laid lately, so I just gotta do it by myself...

vicky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • brofessional
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
i like skating with friends but there is nothing like the feeling of just cruising and trying tricks alone. im usually the most happy when i skate alone.
we could get matching halter tops and do kickturns over the dick at fdr, people wouldn't know what to do. I would be a c cup massacre.

Pine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 12:29:58 PM »
i have barely anyone to skate with. so iv learned to like skating by myself.

BriDen

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
Just got done skating alone; it's happening more often because most of my friends are assholes. The no motivation thing is really true... you can only play games of skate by yourself for so long.

picklesickshuv-it

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 12:39:49 PM »
its fun to go skate by yourself and do as many tricks as you can with out flipping your board like halfcabs/nollie halfcabs/fullcabs impossibles, shuvits no complys, 360s and the occasional 360 flip ...you can usually avoid shinners and you usually do everything first-try

yep yep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 12:44:15 PM »
i love skating by myslef, everytime I'm with somebody they seem to want to film...

Rusty Champignon

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 12:57:05 PM »
mostly I skate with friends but whenever I do skate alone I dont really like to go to spots and stop to skate, its much better to just skate around the streets and bomb hills when youre by yourself because you dont have to wait for people who are behind etc.

Corey Quinn

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 01:04:32 PM »
if i want to skate in my town i have to skate alone, all of my homies quit. i usually drive an hour away once a week to skate with some freinds though and pick up some freinds along the way. but besides that its always solo around here, the guy i used to skate with all the time (#1 on the boards) pretty much quit and thats a big time bummer. i dont mind skating alone though its not bad

bill hates

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 01:05:25 PM »
always scared of hurting myself with noone around

or getting hurt with people but at a spot in the middle of nowhere

skaterdavid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »
Skating by yourself is fun sometimes but skating with a crew is more enjoyable since your friends keep you motivated if you are trying a trick. But the thing i hate about that is whenever i am trying to film something i feel like I'm under a constant pressure to land a trick because they don't want to film me even if they say they don't care.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 01:10:48 PM »

I did that shit once years ago, broke 4 fingers on a hand falling, had to snap em' back into place then drive myself to the hospital, talk a freaking out....i couldn't smoke a cig and drive at the same time my shits were so mangled.

Teacup

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »
pros: no one to rush you to leave when they get tired of the spot (especially when you're trying a trick.), no one to wait in line for, doing dork tricks without having to worry about getting made fun of, no one to ask "what're you trying to do?", setting up a ramp / rail / waxing a ledge the way you want it without the other guy bitching, throwing a temper tantrum without worrying about being embarrased, skate whatever spot you want

cons: no filmer/self filming, gets boring mad fast, no one to inspire you or motivate you, no one to call somebody if you fuck yourself up, no one to play skate with, no one to drive while you look for spots and vice versa,

who else here digs/hates skating alone?

Uh i have all of those pros when I skate with my friends... but 99% of the times I skate alone. Not by choice, but because either

a) almost Everyone in my shit ass town is 15 and hasn't learned kickflips yet

b) the few kids that are older still suck terribly, and I find them to simply be faggots

c) There's no spots worth going to, so I just set up my rail/box out front and skate them.

I hate skating alone, but i'd rather skate alone then not at all...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1993
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 01:41:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I did that shit once years ago, broke 4 fingers on a hand falling, had to snap em' back into place then drive myself to the hospital, talk a freaking out....i couldn't smoke a cig and drive at the same time my shits were so mangled.

fuck that sounds intense...

i used to skate by myself when i worked at some restaurant, my shift started from 9 and ended at 5 in the morning....  so ide get home around 6, watch some tv, eat some breakfast and get to the park by 7....  ide bring newspaper too cos there would be morning dew and just wipe down the boxes and skate by myself all morning.... 

it was good because i got really focused and got more consistent with my tricks, plus the park was empty so you could fuck around with all the things you could never do if it was crowded....  but it got kinda lonely after a while, plus it got really hot around 9 in the morning, so i was sweating my ass of....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Randozzi

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 02:54:38 PM »
solo is pretty much how i roll these days. all my friends live in SF and not too many have come over here. don't mind it too much but getting motivated to skate half the day is hard. thank goodness for my new iPod.

pleasekillme

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 02:59:33 PM »
mostly I skate with friends but whenever I do skate alone I dont really like to go to spots and stop to skate, its much better to just skate around the streets and bomb hills when youre by yourself because you dont have to wait for people who are behind etc.

mikefork

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »
skating alone is the best time to work on consistency and starting to learn new tricks, but it seems like i learn tricks faster when i am skating with at least a few people i know. i'll skate down to the park alone and there will be people i know there so i'm not actually skating alone when i head over there. like it has been said, it's more fun to just cruise and find new spots when you're alone, and it's more fun to actually try stuff when you're with a crew. it seems like i spend 60% of the time skating alone, and 40% with people

i did get knocked out bombing a hill alone though and it completely sucked. i remember trying to find my board for the longest time even though it was ten feet in front of me. i had scrapes going down the right side of my face for a while
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 04:14:37 PM by mike fork »

kevbo999

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 04:18:50 PM »
If I'm not at the park I'm alone.  Skating parking garages or flatground or shitty little spots.  Playing SKATE is one of my favorite things about the park though.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 04:25:08 PM »
mike you hit the nail on the head

benjamin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 04:34:49 PM »
i only skate alone

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 04:37:37 PM »
even if there are a group of people im still skating alone.

...deep.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 04:38:56 PM »
thanks for starting this thread up again.....

my favorite thing about skating alone is that I can wear headphones without feeling like an asshole.  

also you don't have to deal with your friend's egos and bullshit. There's tons of kids to skate with in my city but I find myslef skating alone more and more often...

Also it gets to be frustrating having a car because sometimes people aren't appreciative of you driving them around and act like you're their own personal taxi driver...
skating alone is the best because most other people are lame...most of the bros that were fun to skate with moved away for school...plus I've become too jaded from going on here too much and its hard for me to talk to most people about skateboarding without getting kind of irritated

wheee!

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »
there's only a few people that i can skate with just because everyone at our skatepark just sits on their asses and complains about the shitty park, skating alone is always great but if i can't find anyone to skate with you can usually just find me cruising down hills by myself or just cruising around town.

Guinness

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 05:31:16 PM »
If you get bored skateboarding by yourself, you don't love skateboarding, you love skateboarding with your friends. Being that most of my friends have jobs/go to school, i skate by myself probably 20 hours a week. Its better to skate by yourself, because its easier to focus. I learn way more tricks skating by myself.
this is the first thing you have posted that i agree with