Author Topic: hey you! yeah, you! mr. industry magazine guy!  (Read 8570 times)

peacepappies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
  • tae-tae
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: hey you! yeah, you! mr. industry magazine guy!
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 11:13:11 AM »
Expand Quote
I just think skateboarding is an individual sport. Period.  So why stick your nose in other peoples personal lives.  I mean yeah the show is gay.  But truly hes a nice kid.  Hes got good tricks and good style.  Skateboarding is supposed to be an outlet of freedom in your life and if he wants to pursue what he does, fine with me.  Hes not really doing any thing but helping skateboarding get bigger.  People that say they are devastated by shecklers show "Ruining skateboarding"  when i go out and skate sheckler doesnt effect my front tails, tres, or any other thing in my life for that matter.  Hating just gets old.  Im over it.
[close]

Is this who I think it is?

i guess that depends but youre making me curious
ohyeahohyeah

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 12:05:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Too bad all of them are doing very little to change the general skate population's perception of what a kook he is.
[close]

Because they're letting him talk.

and say the exact same shit in every interview.  it's embarassing to say that because it confesses that i've read them, but fuck i can't help it.  it's almost the same intrigue as a serial killer, like damn this dude's head is FUCKED!  they were all clearly rehearsed with gretchen.

Beautifull

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -428
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
The thing that I noticed about 'hater players'(to quote blackstar) is that they refer to everyone that is not down with thm as 'haters'.  Now Sheckler knows that he fucked up.  Why else would he be so pissed at the criticism?  No one has liked him since his little-kid-point winning contest days.  Now he's pissed?  I don't understand.   And what about catching bees with honey instead of vinegar?  I don't think that winning an audience involves berating us with his jock attitude.  Being pissed at the 'core' audience and calling them haters is not going to shut us up.  Just because you are a 'good' skater does not mean that it's going to change my opinion about him.  We've all known that he's good.  We just don't care.  Look at Shawn White.  You don't see him complaining.  And who give a fuck about that dude except snowboard goons and gay tv media?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 03:31:36 PM by Beautifull »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »
but SLAP? you've lost alot of respect in my eyes, Whiteley.

See, thats what happens. We don't respect Sheckler more, we respect the mags less. Stop printing his shit or this hatred will continue.
Same thing goes with Nieratko, who I usually love. If his interview is just a bunch of ass kissing he is a pussy. He rips apart dudes who are hardly known for our entertainment, that is fine, as long as when he gets a shot to interview the biggest douche in skating he goes after him too. If its a soft job, then Nieratko is a little pussy, and deserves to go down with the Sheckler ship
The mags supporting Sheckler now are going to be like senators who supported the Iraq war. It seems safe and like a good idea now, but five years from now, when the show is over and the teenie boppers have gone away, and all the real skaters hate him, they'll fucking hate themselves for asking questions like "Don't you think people only hate you because they are jealous?"

Gotta give props to Thrasher for keeping it real when in terms of being open about how lame Sheckler is when they have plenty of rea$ons not to.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 01:14:51 PM »
Mr. Jamie Thomas-

What was all that "Jamie Thomas said all that stupid shit about me" about?

Regards,

Ashes / Dust

It all stemmed from a few conversations I had with Danny about the show, sheckler's career choices and how they're being perceived.

It was more of a conversation of concern in regards to where skateboarding is headed and how it's being represented, rather than a chance to talk pointless shit on the dude. Danny shares some of the concerns and is close to sheckler, so I guess he brought up my name and the conversation as an example of some sort and it bummed dude out because it made me look like I was getting on the hate bandwagon.

When I read his skateboard mag interview, I called Danny and Sheckler to discuss the scenario and it seemed like Sheckler's just on the defense and it's black and white whether you got his back or you're a hater. I explained the conversation I had with Danny to sheckler along with my intentions and expressed my opinion about the direction things are headed. Sheckler was receptive and apologized for getting things twisted and airing it out to the public. I feel for the dude being 18 and faced with the decisions and drama he has on his shoulders. I guess some could say he brought it on himself, but regardless, I offered to answer the phone if he ever wanted a no bullshit take or if he ever felt like I could help with something.

So, I guess you could say, we're boys now.

"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
  • S&H
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 01:22:08 PM »
TSM had Nieratko do what is essentialy another fluff piece? Lame.
Ewwwwe Jaime and shecks are boys for life!

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 01:24:31 PM »
myspace pic without shirt coming soon...
"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »
oh chief,  you're such responsible situation solver!      

how did you become so wholesome and good-natured and peacefull and responsible?

wheee!

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »
...it took a lot of hard work and dediskation, probably the same way you perfected being a sarcastic prick.

jesus0nvi4gra

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 01:37:36 PM »
...it took a lot of hard work and dediskation, probably the same way you perfected being a sarcastic prick.

You letting Sherwood post under your name...

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Mr. Jamie Thomas-

What was all that "Jamie Thomas said all that stupid shit about me" about?

Regards,

Ashes / Dust
[close]

It all stemmed from a few conversations I had with Danny about the show, sheckler's career choices and how they're being perceived.

It was more of a conversation of concern in regards to where skateboarding is headed and how it's being represented, rather than a chance to talk pointless shit on the dude. Danny shares some of the concerns and is close to sheckler, so I guess he brought up my name and the conversation as an example of some sort and it bummed dude out because it made me look like I was getting on the hate bandwagon.

When I read his skateboard mag interview, I called Danny and Sheckler to discuss the scenario and it seemed like Sheckler's just on the defense and it's black and white whether you got his back or you're a hater. I explained the conversation I had with Danny to sheckler along with my intentions and expressed my opinion about the direction things are headed. Sheckler was receptive and apologized for getting things twisted and airing it out to the public. I feel for the dude being 18 and faced with the decisions and drama he has on his shoulders. I guess some could say he brought it on himself, but regardless, I offered to answer the phone if he ever wanted a no bullshit take or if he ever felt like I could help with something.

So, I guess you could say, we're boys now.

This is why I hate Sheckler actually. Being 18 and being faced with responsibilities such as the complexity of buying your own house is not a problem in the real world. Then acting like the whole world is against him when everything he's ever gotten has been served on a fucking silver plate. His parents seemed like they were probably rich before taking his money, so from birth he has almost certainly been given anything and everything he has ever wanted, but what does he do? Gets a show where he just complains about how hard it is to be him.

Short take of reality to put it in perspective.
I am a full time teacher now, not a sub. A month or so ago a student comes up to me and tells me his father has just died unexpectedly in a violent death. Then he tells me that aside from the fact that there is an empty place in his heart for his father, he now must face the city, who is trying to take away the corner store his family owned because the father is gone as the license holder. He told me he could only go to school half time now, because he was being forced to run the store, as the rest of his family has prior offenses and other issues that prevent them from being allowed the license. What sucks is that he was an amazing student, he was smart, he works hard, he cared about what he was learning. He wanted to go to college. Guess what? Now he can't, because if he does his whole family gets fucked. But he took it in stride. He let me know what was up, and then just kept pressing on. Despite not coming to school half the time now to take care of other responsibilities such as keeping his family fed at age 16, he still works his ass off and makes up what he misses so he can pass the class, even though he knows its unlikely he'll be going to college any time soon. Guess what? NOT A FUCKING COMPLAINT COMES FROM HIM.  He's one of many people I see on a day to day basis who is challenged in a way I could not ever handle, then I go home and hear Sheckler complain about girls and being a teenage owner of a mansion, and I think "fuck that kid."
Jamie, if he ever does call you, will you tell him this story and tell him to sack up and stop complaining? I'd really appreciate it. This kid has no perspective on life.
Oh, and tell anybody who feels pity for him that they too are morons.

bobjohn

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »
The thing that I noticed about 'hater players'(to quote blackstar) is that they refer to everyone that is not down with thm as 'haters'.  Now Sheckler knows that he fucked up.  Why else would he be so pissed at the criticism?  No one has liked him since his little-kid-point winning contest days.  Now he's pissed?  I don't understand.   And what about catching bees with honey instead of vinegar?  I don't think that winning an audience involves berating us with his jock attitude.  Being pissed at the 'core' audience and calling them haters is not going to shut us up.  Just because you are a 'good' skater does not mean that it's going to change my opinion about him.  We've all known that he's good.  We just don't care.  Look at Shawn White.  You don't see him complaining.  And who give a fuck about that dude except snowboard goons and gay tv media?

And fuck clyde singleton, obviously.  He's only doing this because, A. He's homies with danny way, and B. He's trying to get a rise out of you.  Does anyone really respect dudes opinion?  He's been a skateboard non-issue even when he was a pro.  YOu can't live off your 101 fame forever.  Stop worshiping false idols!

After reading this, I now have my doubts that you are Doug Brown. Only because Doug probably doesn't read magazines and couldn't make an allusion to 101 in proper context.

However, you are at least teammates and possibly know him personally.

Also Phelps went on tour with Sheckler and wrote a "fuck the haters" type article. I have absolutely no desire to dig this up and scan it. I'm just saying Thrasher has turned on their boy.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »
That's a good story, thanks for the perspective.
My point was that I don't envy child stars or anyone famous for that matter, cause it's almost impossible to stay grounded. Definitely not as tragic as your student's, but tragic none-the-less.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 02:09:58 PM »
I can understand that. There are many ways to live a shitty life. Its just that his reality show is nothing but him complaining, and my point about the silver platter thing is that he had many choices in terms of how he lived his life, and had every opportunity in the world, if he ended up in a shitty place, thats not my fucking problem, and I don't want to hear about it. This is why I think "fuck Sheckler." It has nothing to do with his skills or lack thereof, just his spoiled and entitled attitude. Haters? Dude, people just don't like him, why is it considered something wrong with us if we don't like the dude? He gives us every reason to hate him.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »
Turkey, that was good.  Gnar'd.

Ashes / Dust

• Rep: 6
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 02:15:25 PM »
Mr. Jamie Thomas-

Thank you for answering my question.  Its pretty lame he dragged you into the hate fest, by name, no less.

Turkey Sandwich-

The fucking kid said in that Transworld article that "he came from nothing".  He's myopic like a Raider fan.
Stand and Deliver / Dream Turns Into Dreamt

skaterdavid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 02:16:04 PM »
stop doing articles about sheckler, period.

schlegs

• Rep: 21
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »
In every single Sheckler interview I have ever seen, he says people hate him because they are "jealous."  I don't know where he got this idea, because it is the exact opposite of how I feel.  Personally, I would hate to have the all the money, matching Range Rovers and shoes, and iced out medallions he has, because I seriously do not give a damn about any of that.  He might think that everyone else wants the trophys and cash that bring him happiness, but I'm stoked on my own life, not his.  If Sheckler could stop living in his little fantasy world maybe he wouldn't seem like such a kook.  But probably not.
That punk ass ginger is always rubbing one out somewhere on the perimiter of my property. Luckily got that net replaced before the kickflip into the mega QP. Nigga cant have no other man's substance touch his knee pad.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 02:48:21 PM »
Mr. Jamie Thomas-

Thank you for answering my question.  Its pretty lame he dragged you into the hate fest, by name, no less.

Turkey Sandwich-

The fucking kid said in that Transworld article that "he came from nothing".  He's myopic like a Raider fan.

Hmmm, is "the fucking kid" Sheckler? I didn't read said article, and don't believe for a second that a kid raised in Costa Mesa or whatever, who is getting flown all over the country for contests when he is 9,  "came from nothing."  I don't know, I guess I just define things differently from him.
Even if he didn't, he still has no fucking right to complain and expect nobody to call him a whiney bitch.

I'm still way more about the attitude of the kid from Colombia who had to save up his money just for a bus ticket to the nearest pavement.

Ashes / Dust

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »
^^^^ Yeah, in the Transworld interview, he said that he was just a kid that worked his way up from nothing.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 02:57:23 PM »
Yeah, well if its in transworld, it must be true. I now think I am going to like him. so this sn is the new incarnation?
I think I may have seen you at sunnyvale a little while back. Were you there when some kids got chased into the park next door and suddenly cops with machine guns were all over the place?

Ashes / Dust

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »
^^^ Yeah, I was there.  That shit was crazy!

Sony MDR V2 headphones

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2008, 03:08:45 PM »
first person that posts 200 pictures of carrot top gets ignored.

underachiever

• Rep: 2
  • d-d-d-d-d-d-d-DAMN
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2008, 03:11:08 PM »
every single sheckler interview is the fucking same. the magazines talk about how he's so incredibly talented, they let sheckler whine and complain about how hard life is for an 18 year old millionare and ponder why the world hates him and they run him doing big gaps and stairs. i thought it was hilarious when tws sayed their interview was an example of objective journalism and than mckenzie agreed with every fucking word he said. hell, someone should send tws the real 10 reasons that people hate sheckler. but something that really pisses me off is that all the time and space wasted doing these interviews could be used on someone who actually deserves an interview. i must give props to thrasher for not jumping on the bandwagon with these damn interviews. whatever, he'll be out of the spotlight soon enough.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2008, 03:13:49 PM »
Some kid told me they were their for helmets at first (before the big guns) and tried to sneak off, as soon as he did a cop pointed a gnarly rifle at him and made him get on his knees.
That was my second time in 2 trips there seeing some shit. The time before three dudes jumped and beat the shit out of some dude in front of his girlfriend on the street right in front of the park, it was fucked. Combined, those two made me change my opinion on what I thought of the silicon valley. Next time I leave town to skate I'm going to Oakland where its safe!
Next time I'll introduce myself.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2008, 03:44:55 PM »
The anti-anti-sheckler bullshit is just as annoying as any of the other perceieved hate.

Most people just think he's an annoying kook, that's a a bit spoiled and crys about having to fly to Japan. Or how about him not staying at Tampa because he knew he didn't win, so the 8 thousand or whatever it was, didn't mean shit to him. That pretty much says it all about him. Oh and his new Oakley ad. I used to think he had to be somewhat aware of all of this, but now I get it. He's just a contest kid bred that way by his parents, yeah, a jock.

There's an easy way to stop being hated, stop giving people 100 new reasons every month.

He'll have million's, beautiful women, and fame. But if he continues this way he'll never have respect, and you can tell he's starting to recognize that the skateboard community isn't feeling him, and it's gonna start to eat away more and more at him and when he's around it's gonna be more and more awkward.

Seriously at this point he's like a drunk driver that's just crashed into some family's home and he's berating everyone looking at him like what the fuck, "WHAT STOP JUDGING ME!"

Well unfortunately Ryan you can't have it both ways, you can't crash into someone's house and tell them they're crazy. You gotta use the door like everyone else and ask to come in first even.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Ashes / Dust

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2008, 03:48:07 PM »
Next time I leave town to skate I'm going to Oakland where its safe!

That would be sick.

I thought the same thing.  When I saw them roll up, I immediately thought helmet raid, but once I saw the sirens and the numbers of cars, my reaction was "wow, this is a bit strong for helmets".  Crazy.

I hadn't heard of the other situation.  Maybe with Cunningham opening, they'll be less drama.

Oh, if you come over to Oakland, hit me up.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Next time I leave town to skate I'm going to Oakland where its safe!
[close]

That would be sick.

I thought the same thing.  When I saw them roll up, I immediately thought helmet raid, but once I saw the sirens and the numbers of cars, my reaction was "wow, this is a bit strong for helmets".  Crazy.

I hadn't heard of the other situation.  Maybe with Cunningham opening, they'll be less drama.

Oh, if you come over to Oakland, hit me up.
Shit, I'm in Oakland every day for work, lets go shred!
Yeah, I thought helmets for a minute, but when that kid got "get down on the ground" screamed at him by a dude with a rifle I knew something was up.
What's up with cunningham? New San Jose park? for charging and enforcing full pads it better be a damn good park if its going to get me to go there over sunnyvale. I'm sure I'll check it out though...

Vlade Divac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »
I think there are a lot of closet Sheckler fans on here. I mean, Danny Gonzalez and Austen Seaholm are gifted and obnoxious skateboarders too, but you don't see gazillions of posts about them, because no one cares. The argument about "Sheckler ruining the perception of skateboarding" is ridiculous too... Because since when has any real skateboarder cared what soccer moms, jocks, teen girls, or anyone else in the general public thinks? Y'all need to take a breather.
"Whitley is filet mignon.  Vlade is spam."

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2008, 04:32:55 PM »
What the fuck are you talking about Vlade?

I and I think most people in this thread have said just that, WE DON'T CARE.

We don't sit awake at night thinking about how much Sheckler sucks or how he's ruining skating.

It's just lame how obnoxious his kookiness has become.

The end.

And Danny Gonzales is sick.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari