Author Topic: The Slap Message Boards and the Trial of Jamie Thomas  (Read 86328 times)

MexicanSpaniard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Slap Message Boards and the Trial of Jamie Thomas
« Reply #570 on: May 14, 2008, 10:56:39 AM »
^because we secretly run the industry.

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #571 on: May 14, 2008, 10:56:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

if you don't like this part, you should never set foot on a skateboard again.
[close]

alot of assumption in there gipper. i thought teachers knew that assuming makes an "ass of u and me."
people can do frontside heels or any other trick without your voice of god like judgment.
sorry man. this is skateboarding. not your classroom.

[close]
What am I assuming? You didn't even quote what I said. You probably are trying to attack my opinion, which is that frontside heelflips are stupid and ugly. That is my opinion, not a fact. I am not assuming that my opinion is that frontside heelflips are ugly as all hell, I know my opinion is that frontside heelflips are ugly as all hell. And thank you for saying I have a strong writing voice. Good writing shouldn't include crap like "I think" or "in my opinion." We all know it is what you think, or that it is your opinion, only morons would assume somebody else thought something you wrote, or that a judgment you have is not an opinion you have.
 People can do whatever tricks they want, but if they are pro, being paid to do tricks for the entertainmment of the skateboard buying public, then a skaters trick selection is totally fair game.
People can do pressure flips, one footed 1080 ground spins, willy grinds, or whatever cheesy ass trick they want, but they better be prepared to face the fact that a lot of people are going to think that trick is lame. Front heels are cheesy.

i didn't even quote what you said. yet somehow you figured it out.

why is any trick lame? if it's fun for some kid in brazil to do "one footed 1080 ground spins" before he has to go home to his one bedroom apartment which his whole fam lives in, why should that kid be "prepared to face the fact that a lot of people are going to think that trick is lame." are you listening to yourself? i don't understand your logic. if it's fun, why worry what anyone else thinks? skateboarding, right? just checking. isn't there bigger problems  in the world that kid should be "prepared to face."

"prepared to face" sounds like the next mike v. documentary.
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

jrock

« Reply #572 on: May 14, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »
Why should any of these dudes feel the need to explain themselves to us?

It would only add fuel to the fire anyway.

its just that Clyde is a shit talker and i figured he'd be quick to jump on someone that called him out the way JT did. 

dudebro

• Rep: 22
« Reply #573 on: May 14, 2008, 11:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I Loooooooooooooooooooooooove chicks with fro's. Biggest bonerfest ever.

Isn't that a dude?
one-upping is rad.  so is beaming.  both so unquestionably identify the kooks...saves a lot of wasted time/small talk.  you instantly know who to avoid.

eat.shit

• Rep: 14
« Reply #574 on: May 14, 2008, 01:02:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I Loooooooooooooooooooooooove chicks with fro's. Biggest bonerfest ever.
[close]

Isn't that a dude?

I thought that was Greco fora second.

And Mess, that little kid in Brazil doing 1080 spins is in it for fun. Not the paycheck like Clyde. And yes I'll say it again, Hes backing Sheckler...

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #575 on: May 14, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

alot of assumption in there gipper. i thought teachers knew that assuming makes an "ass of u and me."
people can do frontside heels or any other trick without your voice of god like judgment.

[close]
What am I assuming? You didn't even quote what I said. You probably are trying to attack my opinion, which is that frontside heelflips are stupid and ugly. That is my opinion, not a fact. I am not assuming that my opinion is that frontside heelflips are ugly as all hell, I know my opinion is that frontside heelflips are ugly as all hell. And thank you for saying I have a strong writing voice. Good writing shouldn't include crap like "I think" or "in my opinion." We all know it is what you think, or that it is your opinion, only morons would assume somebody else thought something you wrote, or that a judgment you have is not an opinion you have.
 People can do whatever tricks they want, but if they are pro, being paid to do tricks for the entertainmment of the skateboard buying public, then a skaters trick selection is totally fair game.
People can do pressure flips, one footed 1080 ground spins, willy grinds, or whatever cheesy ass trick they want, but they better be prepared to face the fact that a lot of people are going to think that trick is lame. Front heels are cheesy.
[close]

why is any trick lame? if it's fun for some kid in brazil to do "one footed 1080 ground spins" before he has to go home to his one bedroom apartment which his whole fam lives in, why should that kid be "prepared to face the fact that a lot of people are going to think that trick is lame." are you listening to yourself? i don't understand your logic. if it's fun, why worry what anyone else thinks? skateboarding, right? just checking. isn't there bigger problems  in the world that kid should be "prepared to face."

You clearly referenced frontside 180 heelflips, I only made one post about that, and I am not regular, so yeah, I figured it out.

Some tricks are lame because they look like shit. They are ugly and don't look good. Do you like certain tricks more than others? Conversely, that means you like some tricks less than others. I can tell when a trick looks good, and when one looks bad. I'm not going to act like some kindergarten teacher and tell you all tricks are special and unique little snowflakes. Some are easy, stupid, and ugly. regular footed frontside heels are one of them.

A kid in brazil can do whatever trick he wants, as long as he is having fun, but as soon as you cross the line into the sponsorship realm, and want people to support you simply because you are good at skating, you better be capable of good skating that is fun to watch.
I don't see how you see the difference between a kid in Brazil skating for fun, and an over the hill ex-pro skater trying to milk it by talking shit on legit skaters, but there is a huge one.

Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #576 on: May 14, 2008, 02:07:04 PM »
The only straight heel flips I like are switch, otherwise they look hideous.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #577 on: May 14, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
You clearly referenced frontside 180 heelflips, I only made one post about that, and I am not regular, so yeah, I figured it out.

Some tricks are lame because they look like shit. They are ugly and don't look good. Do you like certain tricks more than others? Conversely, that means you like some tricks less than others. I can tell when a trick looks good, and when one looks bad. I'm not going to act like some kindergarten teacher and tell you all tricks are special and unique little snowflakes. Some are easy, stupid, and ugly. regular footed frontside heels are one of them.

A kid in brazil can do whatever trick he wants, as long as he is having fun, but as soon as you cross the line into the sponsorship realm, and want people to support you simply because you are good at skating, you better be capable of good skating that is fun to watch.
I don't see how you see the difference between a kid in Brazil skating for fun, and an over the hill ex-pro skater trying to milk it by talking shit on legit skaters, but there is a huge one.

How could you make that statement while supporting people like ricky oyola and shiloh greathouse.

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #578 on: May 14, 2008, 02:20:05 PM »
an over the hill ex-pro skater trying to milk it by talking shit on legit skaters, but there is a huge one.

what's he trying to milk? as far as i'm aware he's been trying to make it in music and fashion publicity.
i think he know he's done in skating apart from getting the odd article commsioned if he writes it as 'clyde singleton', the character he invented for big brother years ago.
i think the only reason he posts about skating on his little read blog are because he's into it and he's got a big mouth.

and front heels may look like shit 99% of the time but on the rare occasion they're done good they look really, really fucking good UNLIKE fakie fs 180 heels.

eat.shit

« Reply #579 on: May 14, 2008, 02:23:13 PM »
^^ Because Shiloh Greathouse came out with a fucking LEGIT ASS PART recently idiot. ;)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TPxaRRuN9tE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TPxaRRuN9tE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

There person. Wheres Clyde's at? Last decade?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #580 on: May 14, 2008, 02:32:12 PM »
Expand Quote
an over the hill ex-pro skater trying to milk it by talking shit on legit skaters, but there is a huge one.

[close]

what's he trying to milk? as far as i'm aware he's been trying to make it in music and fashion publicity.
i think he know he's done in skating apart from getting the odd article commsioned if he writes it as 'clyde singleton', the character he invented for big brother years ago.
i think the only reason he posts about skating on his little read blog are because he's into it and he's got a big mouth.

and front heels may look like shit 99% of the time but on the rare occasion they're done good they look really, really fucking good UNLIKE fakie fs 180 heels.
Its publicity. Beef and controversy are publicity. So he creates controversy by defending the most obnoxious kid ever to pick up a skateboard, just so people will talk about him writing about it. He also consistently is "calling out" dudes who are way more worthy of respect than him, again just so people will talk about his beef. If he was writing well thought out critiques of skating, I'd feel different. At one point he did seem to offer valid commentary, but more and more, its become him just saying outrageous shit so people will keep reading his articles, and he'll keep getting paid.
I will agree with you on fakie front heels though, ugly as fuck.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #581 on: May 14, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Its publicity. Beef and controversy are publicity. So he creates controversy by defending the most obnoxious kid ever to pick up a skateboard, just so people will talk about him writing about it. He also consistently is "calling out" dudes who are way more worthy of respect than him, again just so people will talk about his beef. If he was writing well thought out critiques of skating, I'd feel different. At one point he did seem to offer valid commentary, but more and more, its become him just saying outrageous shit so people will keep reading his articles, and he'll keep getting paid.
I will agree with you on fakie front heels though, ugly as fuck.

i sort of half, almost agree with you.

i was psyched when i found his blog but it's basically rubbish, he has another one where he posts really bad hip hop leaks which is just straight up embarrassing.

he did do the 2nd best frontside heelflip ever though. and he always looked fucking icey in the day, that first line in trilogy with the big nikes on.

eat.shit

« Reply #582 on: May 14, 2008, 02:47:13 PM »
and im sure you know sheckler since you called him obnoxious. he's a cool guy in real life but how does clyde give more respect to ryan than jamie? that's fucking gay

Dumb dick.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #583 on: May 14, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »
For the record, I'm down for Clyde and always have been. We've known each other since '91 or '92, used to hang out a lot and I've always been a fan of his comedy & skating...

I wasn't trying to call him out, just set the record straight.

"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #584 on: May 14, 2008, 03:36:42 PM »
Jamie, do you know Girl Workshop B?
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #585 on: May 14, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »
...oh, it did feel pretty lame him dissing me on interweb for some bullshit, especially since we've known each other 17 years or so.
So, I guess I got a little butthurt. the other half of the reason I responded.

i wouldn't sweat it, he's probably been dissing you behind your back for 15 of those years.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #586 on: May 14, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »
Expand Quote
...oh, it did feel pretty lame him dissing me on interweb for some bullshit, especially since we've known each other 17 years or so.
So, I guess I got a little butthurt. the other half of the reason I responded.
[close]

i wouldn't sweat it, he's probably been dissing you behind your back for 15 of those years.

good point.

nah, but he pm'ed me and asked some random questions.
why?

"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #587 on: May 14, 2008, 03:54:55 PM »

nah, but he pm'ed me and asked some random questions.
why?

[/quote]
Curiosity

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #588 on: May 14, 2008, 03:55:26 PM »
Can I get a one sentence summary of that big ass post?

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #589 on: May 14, 2008, 03:59:02 PM »
huh? where'd it go?

Gest

« Reply #590 on: May 14, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »
those are some seriously harsh words. but yeah anything backing clyde in general is fucked

on another note, i think front heels are one of the hardest tricks in skateboarding, and anyone who can do it the cool way, and bring it down on one truck, like clyde showed, is tight

GIRL Workshop B

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -347
  • Gino Clause
« Reply #591 on: May 14, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »
i really like caswell's fs heels....

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #592 on: May 14, 2008, 04:30:48 PM »
They deleted the post again...
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #593 on: May 14, 2008, 04:51:24 PM »

I agree for the most part but Derek Simon and Jake Nunn both had pretty good ones in recent duos montages. I'll try and dig one up.

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #594 on: May 15, 2008, 10:01:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

gip,

i was actually trying to give you props for knowing that i was referring to the fs heel w/out me quoting you. :)
i know you are an extremely smart dude and appreciated your political viewpoints. (myanmar is looking harsh right now)

anyways, i see your distinction between the kid in brazil doing it for fun and the pro who is paid to dazzle us. it's valid.

my only counterpoint, and this has nothing to do with Clyde, Shecks, JT, or anyone—is just a broader one.

i believe pros have the right to have fun as well. in fact, i think if they're not, they should quit. because when they have fun, it looks better (not forced), and we have more fun watching it. to make a terrible analogy...it's kind of like porn stars. you really can't be a good porn star if you are not having fun doing it. it's just impossible. it's pretty much exactly like pro skating. you can last a few years running on hatred and competition. but at the end of the day, the only people that really persevere in skateboarding (and porn...ron jeremy never used viagra ;)) are the ones that actually still enjoy it. and if jake duncombe has to throw a beni in there to keep a smile on his face (or god forbid a frontside heel)...why should we hate?

i firmly believe that every trick can look good done by the right dude in the right circumstances. but just like the kid in brazil, the key ingredient is fun.

peace on earth. the mess.
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #595 on: May 15, 2008, 10:15:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree for the most part but Derek Simon and Jake Nunn both had pretty good ones in recent duos montages. I'll try and dig one up.

@1:36

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #596 on: May 15, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

@1:36

That was good, very ninja like!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #597 on: May 15, 2008, 10:27:16 AM »
i'd actually rather see a proper heel like that over a switch heel. guess i'm just getting sick of switch heels.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #598 on: May 15, 2008, 10:41:11 AM »
i'd actually rather see a proper heel like that over a switch heel. guess i'm just getting sick of switch heels.
Not that I can do them or have even tried to but I don't know why a switch heel always gets slo mo these days.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #599 on: May 15, 2008, 10:57:57 AM »
James has a sick faltground heel in his get fam part