Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249421 times)

HBeezy561

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -33
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #480 on: April 27, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #481 on: May 20, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »
i'm liking this shit

on a side note, i finally got to try some Pliny The Elder, on tap.   the shit really is good.  it's definitely up my alley flavor wise.  i'm not good at pinpointing types of hops or specific afternotes and shit, but the combo going on in that i dig.  similar to Russian River IPA and Eagle Rock Populist, and the Sierra Nevada Hoptimonium.  kind of piney and grapefruitey and really strong. 
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #482 on: May 26, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »
I bought a bottle of Arrogant Bastard and am drinking it right now - I think good beer is wasted on me. Maybe I just haven't developed the sophisticated palate to discern the subtleties in these beers that all snobs seem to write/talk about. It does drink and feel a lot more, I don't know, substantial than your regular mass market stuff (and yes, I do catch a faint whiff of grape haha)

'sup with all these dudes drinking their beers out of snifters and stuff? Purely aesthetic purposes?

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #483 on: May 26, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

This one is only made part time out of the year, but it's amazing. Karl Strauss basically kills it all around. Went there last night in downtown SD and got a bunch of samplers, a red trolley, and the tower 10 IPA. All great stuff.

Irvine-Sucks.com

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #484 on: June 05, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »

Had this today, gooood. Didn't taste as strong as it was.

So can anyone give me some opinions on Goose Island? I know that at least some of their beers are supposed to be top notch, but their stuff is pretty hard to get here and some that I've seen have been fairly expensive...
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #485 on: June 05, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »
goose island makes some amazing beer, despite being owned by AB-inbev. the bourbon county brand stouts are second to none. juliet, lolita, madame rose, matilda and sofie are all really good belgian style beers. their regular lineup is ok, but noting special.

got this yesterday and it's bottle date was less than two weeks ago. fresh, this might be my favorite ipa.

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #486 on: June 05, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »
k, thanks!

I also read an article about "the best beer in the world" as selected by ratebeer.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westvleteren_Brewery

Seems like a real experience to get to experience it, but of course the exclusivity might be a strong reason for it's hype.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #487 on: June 05, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »
goose island makes some amazing beer, despite being owned by AB-inbev. the bourbon county brand stouts are second to none. juliet, lolita, madame rose, matilda and sofie are all really good belgian style beers. their regular lineup is ok, but noting special.

got this yesterday and it's bottle date was less than two weeks ago. fresh, this might be my favorite ipa.

Union Jack is really fucking good.  probably in my top 5 IPAs

i finally got to try Pinly The Elder on tap.  overhyped or not, that stuff is right up my alley as far as what i like. 
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Bob Loblaw

• Rep: 10
« Reply #488 on: June 06, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
s'good

these are also in heavy rotation right now:

darbuzz

• Rep: 2
« Reply #489 on: June 07, 2012, 02:28:14 AM »

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #490 on: June 07, 2012, 07:00:44 AM »

Had this today, gooood. Didn't taste as strong as it was.

So can anyone give me some opinions on Goose Island? I know that at least some of their beers are supposed to be top notch, but their stuff is pretty hard to get here and some that I've seen have been fairly expensive...

I guess they have a line of more "higher end" beers.
I've had the Sophie - it's amazing if you can find it.
It's only in a 4 pack though and it's kinda pricey, but give it a try, Burm!

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #491 on: June 07, 2012, 07:44:19 AM »
If I had to limit myself to this list the rest of my life then I would be fine with it:

1.  Delerium Tremens
+

2. Shiner Black Lager

3.  Avery White Rascal

4.  Mahoney's Kilt Lifter

5.  Tripel Karmeliet

6.  Franziskaner Hefe

7.  Oskar Blues Deviant Dales

These guys have a bitching sampler pack out right now also: Uinta

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #492 on: June 07, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
I saw Magic Hat's #9 in cans today at the beer store, what the fucks up with that?

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #493 on: June 07, 2012, 01:16:46 PM »
seems like a trend lately that more craft breweries are offering cans.  i'm not sure how i feel about it exactly.   i took a tour of Golden Road brewery here in LA (where they only sell in cans - aside from on tap at bars and in the brewpub) and he made the argument that the beer is actually better protected in cans.  said that as long as you pour it into a glass before you drink it you're good.  he claimed that the "can" taste you get from some shit beers is mainly due to drinking from the actual can.  but also that can technology has come a long way, with inner linings and such..

personally i don't know if i buy it, but i'm cool with places offering cans, as long as they also offer bottles (like Sierra Nevada is doing with Torpedo)

as for when i'm drinking white trash beer like Bud, i actually like the can taste.  it's just part of the experience

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #494 on: June 07, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Bob Loblaw

• Rep: 10
« Reply #495 on: June 07, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »
franziskaner also makes a good dunkel

R. D. Pullman

• Rep: -2
  • it'lldo
« Reply #496 on: June 07, 2012, 07:30:33 PM »

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #497 on: June 07, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
seems like a trend lately that more craft breweries are offering cans.?  i'm not sure how i feel about it exactly.?  ? i took a tour of Golden Road brewery here in LA (where they only sell in cans - aside from on tap at bars and in the brewpub) and he made the argument that the beer is actually better protected in cans.?  said that as long as you pour it into a glass before you drink it you're good.?  he claimed that the "can" taste you get from some shit beers is mainly due to drinking from the actual can.?  but also that can technology has come a long way, with inner linings and such..

personally i don't know if i buy it, but i'm cool with places offering cans, as long as they also offer bottles (like Sierra Nevada is doing with Torpedo)

as for when i'm drinking white trash beer like Bud, i actually like the can taste.?  it's just part of the experience
There is probably some truth to it as far as regulating temperature, therefore saving the flavor, but I'm all about bottles. Tastes better and you're not going to get a flat beer out of a bottle (which has happened quite often when buying cans).

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #498 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »
Expand Quote
seems like a trend lately that more craft breweries are offering cans.?  i'm not sure how i feel about it exactly.?  ? i took a tour of Golden Road brewery here in LA (where they only sell in cans - aside from on tap at bars and in the brewpub) and he made the argument that the beer is actually better protected in cans.?  said that as long as you pour it into a glass before you drink it you're good.?  he claimed that the "can" taste you get from some shit beers is mainly due to drinking from the actual can.?  but also that can technology has come a long way, with inner linings and such..

as for when i'm drinking white trash beer like Bud, i actually like the can taste.?  it's just part of the experience
[close]
There is probably some truth to it as far as regulating temperature, therefore saving the flavor, but I'm all about bottles. Tastes better and you're not going to get a flat beer out of a bottle (which has happened quite often when buying cans).

yeah, seems like there's just inherently less that could taint the beer with glass as opposed to a can.  even if it's lined, what is it lined with?  so the beer is stored in some kind of thin plastic lining?  i'll always opt for bottles for home usage.

but on a camping trip or wherever the fuck, i would not be opposed to having actual good beer in a can vs. shit beer in a can

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: June 08, 2012, 03:43:41 AM »
Show me a wizard staff made of bottles, I dare you!

And 40 hands? I Faxe with that!

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #500 on: June 08, 2012, 07:29:26 AM »
seems like a trend lately that more craft breweries are offering cans.  i'm not sure how i feel about it exactly.   i took a tour of Golden Road brewery here in LA (where they only sell in cans - aside from on tap at bars and in the brewpub) and he made the argument that the beer is actually better protected in cans.  said that as long as you pour it into a glass before you drink it you're good.  he claimed that the "can" taste you get from some shit beers is mainly due to drinking from the actual can.  but also that can technology has come a long way, with inner linings and such..

as for when i'm drinking white trash beer like Bud, i actually like the can taste.  it's just part of the experience

From what I have heard I think there is actually some merit to the whole canning thing.  I thought the same thing you did in terms of wondering why the hell they would'nt put good beer in a bottle.  The first good microbrewery that I started seeing do it is Oskar Blue's and I think they have been credited with kicking off the change to an extent and dialing in the process.

Here's a pretty good article from their webpage that explains the rationale behind them choosing cans exclusively:http://www.oskarblues.com/about-us/brewery-history

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:35:19 AM by Seamus_McShamebag »

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #501 on: June 08, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »
I see 21st Amendment producing all their beers pretty much in cans. I love the stuff, but I rarely buy it because it's like 15 bucks or so for a 6 pack of cans! I'm out here in NY, so I guess that's why it's so expensive since it's coming out from San Francisco. Any heads out west drink this stuff - is it that expensive out there too?

Also - Pork Slap and Dale's Pale Ale are good brews in a can. Porkslap is great for the beach or out in public, because their cans look more like a soda than a beer..!

On another note - anyone ever try this? I saw it once at the distributor, but it was like 10 bucks a bottle.
Rouge Ale X Voo Doo Doughnut BACON MAPLE ALE

Crazy Ralph

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • You're all gonna die!
    • ShredNJ avatar image
« Reply #502 on: June 08, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
I saw Magic Hat's #9 in cans today at the beer store, what the fucks up with that?
saw the same...apparently it's to celebrate the fact that it is 16 years old this year. probably going to grab some this weekend.
You either die a hero or live long enough to watch yourself become the Berra.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #503 on: June 08, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »
Ballast Point Sculpin, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, Firestone Union Jack, Pliny the Elder of course(never tried younger). Pretty much any IPA if its fresh.

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: June 09, 2012, 12:15:31 AM »
My guess is that the beer in bottles v. cans debate is like the wine bottles with corks v. screw cap, meaning it's more about traditional technique versus industrial.

Since the beer is most often (?) brewed in metal containers, I don't think storing it in a metal container should affect it too much, especially considering how advanced the technology is today. I think the "can taste" could be just the smell of the can when you're drinking from it.

But you sure brew some crazy beers in the states, the watermelon wheat sounds wild.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #505 on: June 09, 2012, 12:18:59 AM »
Tuborg at the moment

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #506 on: June 09, 2012, 12:23:46 AM »
My guess is that the beer in bottles v. cans debate is like the wine bottles with corks v. screw cap, meaning it's more about traditional technique versus industrial.

Since the beer is most often (?) brewed in metal containers, I don't think storing it in a metal container should affect it too much, especially considering how advanced the technology is today. I think the "can taste" could be just the smell of the can when you're drinking from it.

But you sure brew some crazy beers in the states, the watermelon wheat sounds wild.

The majority of the mainstream brands come in cans in the states but a very small number of the smaller (craft) breweries can, I think there was some prejudice against cans with beer snobs, but its a growing trend with the craft breweries now too.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #507 on: June 09, 2012, 03:41:25 AM »
coopers sparkling ale, that is all!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #508 on: June 10, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »
Expand Quote
seems like a trend lately that more craft breweries are offering cans.  i'm not sure how i feel about it exactly.   i took a tour of Golden Road brewery here in LA (where they only sell in cans - aside from on tap at bars and in the brewpub) and he made the argument that the beer is actually better protected in cans.  said that as long as you pour it into a glass before you drink it you're good.  he claimed that the "can" taste you get from some shit beers is mainly due to drinking from the actual can.  but also that can technology has come a long way, with inner linings and such..

as for when i'm drinking white trash beer like Bud, i actually like the can taste.  it's just part of the experience
[close]

From what I have heard I think there is actually some merit to the whole canning thing.  I thought the same thing you did in terms of wondering why the hell they would'nt put good beer in a bottle.  The first good microbrewery that I started seeing do it is Oskar Blue's and I think they have been credited with kicking off the change to an extent and dialing in the process.

Here's a pretty good article from their webpage that explains the rationale behind them choosing cans exclusively:http://www.oskarblues.com/about-us/brewery-history

yeah, golden road says pretty much the same things  http://goldenroad.la/beer/#/why   the environmental aspect makes a lot of sense.  it would be interesting to take a blind taste test.  i bet the beer does taste just as good.  there's just still the stigma of drinking out of a can i think that makes it seems less good

i never really thought or knew about the damaging effects of sunlight on beer.  the more you know

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #509 on: June 10, 2012, 11:10:25 AM »
as a side note i think i'm going to be in CO in August.  i'll have to check out Oskar Blues Brewery