Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249424 times)

realitycontrol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #630 on: October 23, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »
i feel like a kid at christmas time

damn you're chilling right now dog! that firestone imperial bitter is amazing. if you have good access to that beer i would say buy a couple to cellar for a year or two.

have you been to stone's new shop in pasadena?
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #631 on: October 23, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »
if you have good access to that beer i would say buy a couple to cellar for a year or two.

have you been to stone's new shop in pasadena?

i have been to the Pasadena Stone store.  i think it's cool that there's a place to fill growlers, and the tasting room, but i kind of don't understand why they don't just have a full on bar, with more seating and stuff.  also, was hoping they'd have more of their harder to get beers.  the bottles they sell there is all stuff you can get at most other good beer shops.   not complaining though

they actually have that Firestone DBA at Bev Mo.  tons of it.  maybe i'll buy some more.  what happens after you age it? 
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #632 on: October 23, 2012, 01:04:55 PM »

That time of year again for the fresh hops. Had the Sierra Nevada Estate last year and it was great. The Great Divide is a pale ale but is so fresh(10/05) it tastes like an IPA. Mmmm . . .

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #633 on: October 23, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »

That time of year again for the fresh hops. Had the Sierra Nevada Estate last year and it was great. The Great Divide is a pale ale but is so fresh(10/05) it tastes like an IPA. Mmmm . . .

i just had my Great Divide last night.  i didn't even realize it was a Pale Ale.  i assumed it was an IPA.  it was delicious

going to have my High Tide tonight.  gotta drink those things asap
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #634 on: October 23, 2012, 07:15:28 PM »
Floop, as a fellow lover of beer, I love your commitment to the Favorite Beer thread. I haven't had too many new beers in a while, but just had the Lost Abbey Red Barn Ale and really enjoyed it. Not usually my style, but it was really smooth and nice to drink.

Irvine-Sucks.com

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #635 on: October 23, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »
I love me a good saison, and that Lost Abbey is no joke!

penguin meat

« Reply #636 on: October 25, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
Crazy new flammable beer:

At 65%, I can't see how it would actually be good.  When whiskey hits 50% I stop liking it. Shits way too expensive anyway... 40 Euros on the site.
And I know this isn't the "beers you wont buy and liquor you like" thread, but I just bought a 1.75l of Sailor Jerry for $24.99 and it's pretty delicious.

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #637 on: October 27, 2012, 01:57:05 AM »
what happens after you age it? 

some beers are meant to be consumed as soon as possible: these are your mainstream beers (anywhere from mass produced bud light to your more corporate "microbrews" such as stella artois, etc), as well as any pale ale's, IPAs, wheat beers, lagers. pilsners, etc.

other beers are actually meant to be consumed later, and can be aged in a similar fashion to wine. these are typically darker, bigger beers (barleywines, imperial stouts, belgian strong ales, belgian quads, any bourbon/barrel-aged ales,  etc.). when stored properly the beer actually becomes more and more complex over time.

so for example:

- if you come across bottles of pliney the elder, stone ruination, etc. you want to buy and drink immediately (the closer to the "bottled on" date the better).

whereas

- if you come across FSW parobala, the bruery's black tuesday, or alesmith's decadence you want to buy 2 of each immediately. one should be drunken soon, while the other should be stored for at least 12 months before consumed.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

http://www.dogfish.com/community/news/press-releases/5-things-you-should-know-about-aging-beer.htm
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

kalash nikov

• Rep: 0
« Reply #638 on: October 27, 2012, 02:12:33 AM »

;D

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #639 on: October 27, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

some beers are meant to be consumed as soon as possible: these are your mainstream beers (anywhere from mass produced bud light to your more corporate "microbrews" such as stella artois, etc), as well as any pale ale's, IPAs, wheat beers, lagers. pilsners, etc.

other beers are actually meant to be consumed later, and can be aged in a similar fashion to wine. these are typically darker, bigger beers (barleywines, imperial stouts, belgian strong ales, belgian quads, any bourbon/barrel-aged ales,  etc.). when stored properly the beer actually becomes more and more complex over time.

so for example:

- if you come across bottles of pliney the elder, stone ruination, etc. you want to buy and drink immediately (the closer to the "bottled on" date the better).

whereas

- if you come across FSW parobala, the bruery's black tuesday, or alesmith's decadence you want to buy 2 of each immediately. one should be drunken soon, while the other should be stored for at least 12 months before consumed.

http://www.dogfish.com/community/news/press-releases/5-things-you-should-know-about-aging-beer.htm

I went to the Bruery's Christmas party a few years ago and won a Black Tuesday in a raffle that I was entered in for a two dollar stocking of paddle ball and jax and shit I bought from 7-Eleven. I gave it to a friend and then it was like 200 dollars on EBay a month or so later. As far as I know he still has it aging.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #640 on: October 27, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

so for example:

whereas

thanks for the informative post.  i knew most beers were supposed to be consumed as fresh as possible, but i have heard of people cellaring some of the higher alcohol beers.  just always wondered what was supposed to happen.  i heard somewhere that the alcohol content goes down too.. 

i was going to join the Bruery reserve society (which includes two bottles of Black Tuesday) but it's pretty steep for 10 bottles of beer ($295), however rare or good they are

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #641 on: October 27, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »
alcohol content doesn't go down by cellaring beers. technically, if it was a bottle conditioned beer, it would probably increase, but the amount would be negligible.

had this tonight:

it was alright. way over hyped, though.

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #642 on: October 27, 2012, 11:37:35 PM »

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet (b/c I didn't check) but this is a mighty brew.
Not on the cheap side but if you can find it, sit down & enjoy it.
Beer aged in Rum barrels...GENIUS!

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #643 on: October 28, 2012, 06:50:52 AM »
Not sure if this beer has been posted yet, but as of a few months ago, it's my favourite...

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2532
« Reply #644 on: October 28, 2012, 01:49:19 PM »
It's one of my go-to beers. Cheap but ok taste.
How's that Israeli (I guess) beer? I've seen it in shops around here but always buy something else...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #645 on: October 30, 2012, 10:14:28 AM »
just reserved 2 of these

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 409
« Reply #646 on: October 30, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »
Crazy new flammable beer:

At 65%, I can't see how it would actually be good.  When whiskey hits 50% I stop liking it. Shits way too expensive anyway... 40 Euros on the site.

I was just about to put this up here. It looks crazy. I want to try it, but don't want to buy it.

I can't believe I haven't been in this thread lately. I've missed about posting a bunch of the beers I've had and what I've thought about them.

As for aging bottled beer, Stone has actually been releasing specific annual brews that they place a drink after date on. So you're supposed to have started collecting them and, if I remember correctly, drink the previous year after the next year's is released or collect them until all of them are released.

pancake man

« Reply #647 on: October 30, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »
The thing about that 65% beer is that you have to drink it like a fine liquor, which in my opinion really ruines what beer is all about

dillanharp

« Reply #648 on: October 30, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
All time favorite, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Lagunitas IPA. Tecate is my go to, summer, dirt bag beer.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #649 on: October 31, 2012, 05:28:54 AM »

i only drink light beers.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: November 03, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
recent additions to the quiver.  been wanting to try some brew dogs for a while

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #651 on: November 03, 2012, 01:22:03 PM »
prepare to be underwhelmed. especially by the punk IPA. tokyo* is probably decent, though.

i love this time of year for this reason:

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #652 on: November 03, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
celebration is one of my favorites.  thanks for reminding me to pick some up

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
« Reply #653 on: November 03, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »
i rly enjoy cold budweisers (the drink not the poster..., well kinda both atcually)... dont hate

pancake man

« Reply #654 on: November 03, 2012, 06:25:32 PM »

It's funny, I've heard that this brewery on the whole is kinda meh in terms of making good beers

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #655 on: November 03, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
i've been curious to try their beers ever since seeing that mini documentary about the Stone / Brewdog collabo

i'll let you know!

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #656 on: November 04, 2012, 03:18:38 PM »
i accidentally bought more beer

pancake man

« Reply #657 on: November 04, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
gonna age those stouts?

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #658 on: November 04, 2012, 06:14:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
prepare to be underwhelmed. especially by the punk IPA. tokyo* is probably decent, though.

i love this time of year for this reason:

Oh shit. Is it out yet?  I haven't been able to find it anywhere.  If so, this makes me excite bike.

As for my favorite beer...if you like IPAs and haven't had this, you're fucking up:

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #659 on: November 04, 2012, 06:32:31 PM »
it's out. heady is amazing. i got a case at the end of the summer. wish I lived closer to vermont. hill farmstead makes incredible beers up there, too.